Chapter 27

Danse Macabre

The graphic doesn't really match the chapter, but I made it recently and have nowhere to put it lol


 

Xiumin had a dream that night.

He knew it was a dream because he was somewhere he had never seen before, strange even to his unconscious mind that had created the city. But it wasn't lucid dreaming because he was merely a puppet with no thoughts and no control.

He was sitting on a stone bench, someone in his arms. The buildings surrounding them cast irregular shadows, but never entered the halo of light illuminating them. The stars -- a myriad of them, filling the night sky with billions of gems and eyes -- twinkled and he said, "Let's make a wish."

The mass of windswept hair moved as the boy turned to face Xiumin. His body was obscured by Xiumin's arms embracing him and all that was visible were his eyes. His irises were a kaleidoscope of celestial lights and his pupils were a black hole. They were filled with stormy waves and so much pain, but then they turned into crescent moons, crinkling at the edges.

"What do you want to wish for, Min?"

Xiumin smiled at the endearment. "I want to wish for you, for us, L-"

The boy blinkled, pale eyelids stretching and covering the galaxy. The moon hid behind clouds and when he opened his eyes a milisecond later, all was dark. Xiumin sat frozen, searching and falling into the abyss. The boy removed himself from Xiumin's desperate hold, and walked off into the night.

Mechanically, Xiumin stood and stared at the lunar eclipse as an urgent, pressing melody began to play. The heavy bass and cacophonous percussion thudded in his ears as he ran through the streets, but it was deathly silent. He opened his mouth to call, to scream, but nothing sounded, just howling wind.

He ran to the beat of the music, tempo accelerating into a frenzy. Something galloped past, painting him in dizzying lights and the siren's wail seemed to flow from him. Someone was chasing him, breathing down his neck and he was running in thin air, legs pedaling against the current, drowning in quicksand.

He was in a deserted alleyway, pressed against the wall by darkness. Eyes pierced him, his ness with serrated teeth. There was something in his hand, steaming cold metal.

He was sitting in a room, holding a glass of water, of frost, of ice. He set it down on the ground as the box in front of him turned to static. Something screamed -- a warning or a threat -- and he ran.

He slumped down, clothes torn, bleeding from tiny lips all over his body. He brought a finger to one opening, trying to close it and liquid light spilled from his hands.

"My pet, lovely, lovely Xiumin . . ." it whispered in the wind.

Something flashed in the corner of his vision.

He whipped his head in the direction, but there was nothing.

Then there was a pile of carcasses, chunks of humans, rotting fish and an ethereal specter.

"Luhan," he tried to say.

The spirit turned to look at him, bloodied mouth and tender eyes, and smiled.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Xiumin woke up, strangely calm and relaxed. He first sensed the presence of someone else, holding him, and then the rest of his surroundings focused back into view. He was at that magical spot again, waiting for the sun to rise and fill the murky waters with vibrant hues. It was so easy to fall asleep in Luhan's arms.

"You're awake," the Prince noticed and Xiumin made a noise in response. "I didn't want to wake you because you are such a sleeping beauty," Luhan went on to say. His free hand reached over to caress Xiumin's blushing cheeks and it drifted down, pausing on the collar.

Xiumin involuntarily moved to touch it too, hand grazing the Siren's fingers. He felt the grooves and ridges in the gold, the smoothness of the jade. It was amazing and unsettling how he had forgotten about it. His body had adjusted to its awkward weight and warmed the cold metal to his temperature, and it was almost a part of him now.

"How long have I been here?" he wondered out loud.

Luhan sighed, water rippling like a breeze. "Time is fluid here in the Empire. It quickens, slows, goes backwards, according to his whims." His sweet voice was beginning to darken again, like it always did when they mentioned his father. "It could be a day. a century, yesterday. Time still passes though and things grow old, become left in the past."

Xiumin wished time could stop forever at this moment. But it wasn't in accordance to his whims; Xiumin had no control.

"I've counted the sunrises though," Luhan said after a heavy pause. Their eyes drifted to the beginnings of dawn in the horizon. "There have been almost one hundred." It was as beautiful as the first time and Xiumin wondered why he never enjoyed it while he could, before. Maybe it was the context- the surroundings, who he was with.

"How many more can we see . . . together?" he whispered. The answer was none, he knew.

Luhan's finger stilled momentarily in its motion. "You don't have to. You really, truly, do not have to follow our plan." He stared earnestly into Xiumin's eyes, but Xiumin couldn't hold the gaze.

"No. I promised you. I can't back away . . ."

His voice faltered at the last word. He turned towards the sun, letting the light burn everything away. Away. He was going away soon.

He just wanted to sit here with Luhan, together, alone, but it was too much to ask. "Tell me that it will be worth it," he begged, still staring into the blinding sun.

The Siren stayed silent.

"Lu . . ."

"I want to be with you, but -- but it will be worth it. I will make things better and no one else will have to go through this unnecessary pain."

Unnecessary pain. Xiumin sighed. Was he unnecessary, in the grand scheme of things? Nothing mattered, only his heart.

"Forget about your troubles for now," the Siren murmured. "I want you now."

 


and they proceed to have or whatever you want them to do.

kaisoo/taohun next chap

please comment! ^_^