Chapter 15

Danse Macabre

Friday night, Junmyeon and Kyungsoo were watching a random TV show, taking up only half of the couch. The show ended, switching to an annoying ad for KFC. Junmyeon stared at the boys in the TV, showing off their superpowers for whatever reason and was about to make fun of them, but Kyungsoo suddenly muted the volume.

 

“Junmyeon.”

 

He turned to find his boyfriend staring at him. “ . . . Don't look at me like that, Soo,” he said, brows furrowing in confusion.

 

“You seem really out of it today,” Kyungsoo said, voice full of seriousness.

 

“Really?”

 

The older man sighed, looking as if he wanted to roll his eyes. “Just tell me what's bothering you.”

 

“Fine,” Junmyeon said, sighing too. “I was just thinking about love. Everyone talks about that, there are so many songs and dramas and movies and books about it. And we're in love, right? But what does it mean? Why do people do stupid things for it?"

 

“Love,” Kyungsoo spat out with surprising venom. Junmyeon's eyes widened at his usually calm boyfriend and moved slightly to the other side of the couch. “It turns people into fools. It makes people delusional. When you're in love enough -- when you're madly in love -- you don't care about anything else. The feeling that the person gives you blinds you to everything -- to their faults, to the warning signals, to the consequences. When you love someone enough, you are willing to do anything for that person. No matter what they ask of you, you do it without hesitation. You do it and you look for more you can do and in the end, you're left alone, realizing how much of a fool you are.”

 

The commercial was long over, the show starting again, but neither turned towards the TV. Junmyeon blinked at Kyungsoo's sudden outburst. “You make love sound like such a horrible thing.”

 

“Too much of anything is bad. Even medicine can become poisonous.”

 

“Why are you so wise?” Junmyeon resisted the urge to pout, feeling childish. “And uh . . . no offense, but I hope we never love each other that much.”

 

“No need,” Kyungsoo said, laughing slightly. “But who do you love?”

 

Junmyeon made a face. “After what you said? I don't think I love anybody like that.”

 

Kyungsoo shifted, letting Junmyeon move back beside him. “Then by whatever definition you want.”

 

“Well . . . I love you,” Junmyeon said, earning an expected hit to the head. “But there's also Sehun, even though I'll never tell him that. And my brother.”

 

“You have a brother?” Kyungsoo asked with slight interest.

 

“Yeah. Sometimes I feel like he's my mom because he's annoying and naggy all the time. And he's always there and my mom . . . is always . . . not.” Junmyeon grimaced at his own words. “I sound so cheesy,” he whined.

 

“It's okay,” the other murmured. “It's nice to hear you sound serious and not stupid for once.”

 

“I never sound stupid!” the one in question protested. “I just feel comfortable with you because I love you,” Junmyeon sing-songed.

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Never!”

 

~ ~ ~


 

What Ballet Boy had said played in Jongin's mind over and over again. The man had so many secrets, so many hidden stories that he didn't know about. So different from all of those stupid and naive targets from before.

 

But all he cared about was that Ballet Boy would be dumb enough to really fall for Junmyeon, despite everything he said. But a small voice in the back of Jongin's mind was protesting, saying things that he couldn't understand. 


 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~


 

Luhan probably knew his brother better than anyone in the Empire and easily found Yixing standing motionless in the garden.

 

“Brother,” he called, announcing his presence.

 

Yixing spun around, stature relaxing when he saw the familiar person. “Luhan, please do not scare me like that. I'm getting old,” he said, giving a wry smile.

 

Luhan chuckled and went to join the older by the pond. “What are you looking at?” he asked conversationally.

 

“The fish. Do you think they like being here?” Yixing asked, gazing blankly at the small flashes of color.

 

“To be in the pond of the Siren Empire's eldest Prince? They must be honored.”

 

Said Prince scoffed. “Don't tease me and tell me why you're here,” he ordered.

 

“I can't just come to visit my brother?” Luhan asked, a wounded look on his face. But he continued, “I want to discuss something. Will you let me into your palace?”

   

The younger prince was quiet as Yixing led him to the private chamber, but as soon as he sat down onto the chair, he asked, “How did you fall in love with that human?”

 

Yixing almost dropped the cup he was holding as he gaped at Luhan in shock. “How- how did you know?”

 

“I know many things,” Luhan told him with a half smile.

 

Almost shakily, Yixing sat down (fell into) his chair. “But if you know, then- then who else knew? I-”

 

“Brother,” Luhan said, throwing his hands up in mock defense. “There is no need to be so nervous. I am not our Father.”

 

Yixing shook his head. “Was I too obvious? Did our father find out and k. . .” He couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence.

 

Rising from the bed, Luhan made his way over to his brother and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Captives are constantly disposed of. There's small chance it was because of you.”

 

“Yes, but- oh heavens!” Yixing suddenly exclaimed as a thought appeared in his mind. “Xiumin was his replacement and then he was given to me . . . was it our father's test to see if I will love another human?”

 

Luhan kneaded Yixing's shoulders, massaging them gently; his lightest touch had a healing power. “But you loved a human. How is that possible?” he asked, changing the topic, but not really.

 

Yixing smiled slightly. “Is that what you wanted to discuss?”

 

“Yes,” Luhan replied sheepishly.

 

“Sit down.” The elder patted the chair next to him and Luhan obliged.

 

“Yifan. He couldn't remember his real name, but I know it was more beautiful,” Yixing began, a distant and longing look in his eyes. Luhan wrapped his fingers around his teacup, waiting to hear the story. “The first time I saw him, I was on my way to our father's palace. A guard was dragging him back to the cages and it was as if he was already dead. But then he looked up and somehow, our eyes met. And oh heavens, his eyes. They were so full of hopelessness, but still so full of life. I remember being frozen, captivated, until he was forced away.

 

“I don't know why, but those eyes haunted me and one day, I decided to go to the cages. I found him in a wretched heap of rags, seemingly forgotten and left there on the ground. He hated me at first and I didn't blame him. Really, it was terrifying how intense his hatred was, but I couldn't stay away. I visited him frequently, much like what you do with Xiumin, but I didn't dare to . . . to do anything.

 

“I have no clue why he loved me, and sometimes I doubt he really did. Maybe it was because I was the only person who didn't torture him and that he had no one else to love. But then I remember those moments together and I . . .” Yixing broke off, smiling sadly. “If he really died prematurely because of me, I will never forgive myself. Never.”

 

“It wasn't your fault,” Luhan finally said. “Don't think that.”

 

Yixing shook his head, unconvinced. “Regardless, the only thing I can do for him is to help you with Xiumin. Someone deserves happiness and love.”

 

Luhan let go of his cup, the tea long gone cold, and reached for his brother's hand. “But what is love? Sirens aren't supposed to feel that.”

 

“Who said that?” Yixing asked, glancing up. “But to answer your question,” he said, looking off into the distance again. “It's the feeling of needing someone and only needing that someone. With that person, nothing else matters. Without that person, nothing matters."

 

His eyes refocused to find Luhan studying him. “You are such a poet,” the younger said, half teasing and half serious.

 

Yixing chuckled. “I'm not the poet. It was Yifan who said it.”

   

“Xiumin said it was being willing to die for someone,” Luhan mumbled to himself.

 

“What was that?”

 

“Humans are so dramatic, so sentimental.”


 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~


 

“How is that boy of yours?”

 

“Master, I- I think I-”

 

“For people like us, love is powerful and makes us weak, makes us afraid. It's a liability and an asset. Do you understand?"

 

"Yes, master.”

 

“Wonderful. I know you won't disappoint me.”

 

The man shrouded in shadows watched as Tao quickly walked out of the dark cellar, and his lips stretched into a smile.

Wonderful.

 


 

 

More layhan next chapter because there's not enough of that.

Please comment! ^_^