Chapter 28

Danse Macabre

 

Oh Sehun!" Jongin shouted from his room. The Kim mansion was equipped with thin walls for security reasons and conveniently so that Jongin could express his annoyance from a comfortable position on his bed. "Hurry the up!"

There was a second of silence -- much too long for his impatience -- before Sehun's voice came floating towards him, asking, "Should I wear a jacket or a button-down shirt?"

Jongin cursed and stomped over to the other's room. Flinging it open, he said, "No one cares and we're going to be late." Articles of clothing were shoved into his face in response. "Yah, Oh Sehun," he sputtered. "You little piece of s-"

"I'm ready. We can go now!" Sehun announced in a cheery voice.

Jongin threw the random pair of jeans onto the already messy floor and took in Sehun's appearance. He would never admit it, but the looked pretty attractive in a tight t-shirt and sleek skinny jeans. "Vanilla, I hope you catch a cold and die," he muttered.

The younger struck a quick pose. "Afraid I'll steal Kyungsoo from you?"

Jongin groaned and walked out of the room, torn between hoping Sehun would follow him quietly and hoping the boy would disappear from his life. He cringed inwardly at that last thought; it's still too early for jokes like that.

 

"Where are you two going?" a judgemental voice questioned.

Jongin looked up to see Hyuna at the top of the stairs, hands on her hip, staring at him.

"Hi cousin!" Sehun, who had finally appeared, greeted with a smile. "Me and Nini are going on a date!"

"Together?" Hyuna asked, face scrunched up. "That's pretty much -"

"No!" Jongin cried, trying desperately to stop Sehun from talking. "I'm going to my three month anniversary date and Sehun's coming along because I don't know why."

Hyuna made another face as she walked towards her room, to the left of Jongin's. "That's so gay," she decided.

"That's the point!"

"No, Sehun!" Jongin sputtered. "I mean, we're gay but that's the point."

"I'm not gay," Sehun declared as Hyuna watched on with amusement. "You are, but I'm pan. I love everybody, whereas you just kill everyone."

"What the ?" Jongin glanced at his cousin. "We're leaving," he said over Sehun's "or maybe you're Kyungsoo-ual!" and dragged the other away from their rooms.

"Have fun on your gay date!" Hyuna said, earning a laugh from Sehun and a grunt from Jongin.

"And ask my mom if she put anything weird in Sehun's dinner last night!" Jongin called from halfway down the stairs.

 

Hyuna rolled her eyes and went to the hallway to watch the two boys bicker as they walked out. They were dumb, really unimaginably dumb, and she wondered how their boyfriends could ever put up with them.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Jongin went into the apartment, while Sehun waited for his boyfriend outside, and was immediately lead into the kitchen. And now he stood in front of the microwave, watching the popcorn turning inside and counting the seconds.

"That can kill you, you know," a voice suddenly said in his ear.

Jongin yelped and spun around, almost punching Kyungsoo in the face. "Yah, Kyungsoo!" he exclaimed. "You scared me! Weren't you washing tomatoes over there?"

"I was washing celery," the other corrected, rolling his eyes. "And now I'm done."

"Oh." Jongin glanced down at the tray of healthy food in Kyungsoo's hands and back at the buttery popcorn that was still spinning. "And what were you talking about?"

"Standing in front of the microwave," Kyungsoo answered. He sat the tray down on the counter and tugged the younger to the side. "The radiation is harmful."

Jongin pouted before his lips curled into a smirk. "The only thing that's going to kill me is if you don't give me a kiss right now." His lips puckered again in anticipation.

Kyungsoo scoffed and pushed him away. "I'll go to your funeral then," he said, leaving the kitchen.

"You're so mean!" Jongin called, staring at the receding backside with mock hurt. He opened his mouth to whine some more, but was interrupted by the doorbell and the microwave's ding.

 

~ ~ ~

 

"Hi!" Jongin's blonde and pasty friend greeted as soon as Kyungsoo opened the door. Jongin had always described him as expressionless but his -face was nowhere to be seen.

Kyungsoo quickly scanned the two, noticing the subtle differences since their last meeting three months ago (they seemed more relaxed, but Tao was nervous -- he held himself stiffly and awkwardly -- and Sehun had a fading hickey) and put a smile on his face. "Welcome," he said, opening the door wider and letting the other in. "Please take off your shoes. Jongin's making popcorn, so just make yourselves comfortable in the living room."

He watched as they slipped off their sneakers -- both pairs worn and scuffled -- and Sehun tugged at Tao to head into the living room.

The raven-haired gently pried Sehun's hand away. "I need to use the bathroom?" he said.

"Down the hall and first door on the right," the apartment's owner answered.

Sehun watched his boyfriend leave with a longing gaze and Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. So hopelessly in love. So-

"Oh, right!" the blonde suddenly exclaimed, drawing Kyungsoo back out of his thoughts. He was handed a DVD and he took it with a questioning look.

"Jongin chose it," was all the other gave in explanation before going to settle on the couch.

~ ~ ~

Jongin walked into the living room with a bowl of popcorn and was met with the sight of Sehun and Zitao taking over the only couch with their unnecessarily long legs. Kyungsoo was squatting by the TV, face full of confusion and maybe a bit of annoyance.

"Jongin, what and why?" he asked, holding up the DVD.

Jongin shoved the bowl towards Sehun before answering. "The drama we're watching today for our marathon. It's called 'It's Okay, It's Lov'" and I chose it because one of the actors look like you. I mean, you're much cuter, but-"

"Excuse me, but what exactly are we doing today?" Zitao suddenly interrupted.

"A drama marathon," Jongin replied with patience.

"It has like twenty episodes though. How can we finish?"

"It's okay," Sehun said to him. "We can cuddle for the first episode, kiss for the second, take off our clothes for the third and-"

"Shut up," Jongin demanded, throwing some celery sticks at the couple. He remembered to mouth a "sorry" to Kyungsoo, who was staring mournfully at the mess on his living room floor.

"Five second rule!" Zitao said, picking one up and shoving it in Sehun's mouth.

Jongin's approval of the boy increased significantly at that move, but not enough. "Get off Soo's couch," he ordered, toeing the two. "Go be disgusting on the ground." Kyungsoo walked over after starting the drama and Zitao obeyed, dragging Sehun to the floor.

"This way we can do stuff without having to see them," Zitao reassured his complaining boyfriend.

 

" teenagers," Jongin muttered to Kyungsoo. He brought his legs up and cradled the bowl of popcorn in his lap as the opening theme song came to an end and the drama began.

"Yah, learn to share," Sehun whined, turning around to glare up at the couple sitting on the couch.

Jongin (gently) kicked at Sehun's head. "Turn around, watch the drama and eat the celery that Kyungsoo spent so long to wash, Vanilla." He felt fingers reaching and interlocking with his under the popcorn bowl in dispute. He glanced at Kyungsoo, who was staring forward with slightly pink cheeks, and smiled.

Sehun let out a dramatic sigh and acquiesced, leaving the two alone.

"I'm sorry for not taking you out on an actual date," Jongin murmured to his boyfriend.

"It was technically my idea," Kyungsoo replied. "And I can make you some spaghetti kimchi later if you get hungry."

Jongin's eyes widened in amazement. "Soo, that's probably the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

The man in question flushed a deep red and glared, managing to look threatening and squishy at the same time. "I-"

"You broke my three-month curse," Jongin interrupted. He got into a comfortable position, head nestled on the other's chest, and Kyungsoo's chuckle rumbled against his ears. Craning his neck, he pecked Kyungsoo's lips. "Thank you."

Kyungsoo smiled and returned the kiss in response.

 

"Wow. Five minutes in and you're already making out?"

"Shut up! You totally ruined the moment, Oh hun!"

 

~ ~ ~

 

He didn't know when he fell asleep, but in that dark room, listening to Kyungsoo's steady and reliable heartbeat, Jongin felt safe. His eyelids drooped as the TV continued flashing, a Sehun-and-Tao shaped silhouette in the middle of it all. He let Jaeyeol and Kangwoo's voice lull him to sleep. And in his dream, he heard,

"When the wind blows, let it come, stay, and leave.
When a feeling of longing comes, let it come, stay, and leave.
Pain will come. It will stay and live. It will live then leave.”