Thrones

The White Lotus

 

"Thrones"

 

Yifan's POV

I never really wanted the throne. I kept my guts from my father every single day. They have educated me to rule. To rule the empire and to be feared by my enemies. Even though I don't want to, I still have to. Besides, I'm the eldest son of the Jin Dynasty Emperor. Who else would inherit the throne? Well, my brother Zitao, could also inherit it but he's still too young to run a kingdom of his own. My coronation is a few days from now. That's the time when responsibility comes in...and that responsibility is for me to marry someone who I haven't seen before. More importantly, someone who I don't love. Mother used to tell me that I can love freely. Turns out, that's never gonna happen. Not when I'm already arranged to this stranger. 

I looked at the green bamboo trees swaying in the wind by the river bank near the palace. It was my quiet place. A place where I can't hear the battle cries being practiced by the soldiers preparing themselves for war against Lord Zhang's army from the South. That's why I needed to marry the girl, who is the daughter of the Song Dynasty Emperor, in order for the two dynasties to make an impenetrable alliance through us. Which I am greatly robbed by my freedom to choose my future wife.

I heard something rustling in the bushes behind me. I quickly grabbed the long bow I carried along with a sling full of sharpened arrows. I positioned myself; ready to send the arrow through his or . "Come out." I said calmly. Then I saw a hand waving out of the bushes as if it was surrendering. 

"Ah, I almost had you there, Yifan. But man, lay off some slack will you?"

"It's best to be on guard unlike you, wandering around as if there's no war nor enemies." I smiled at Jongdae while lowering my bow and getting the arrow back in its sling. "You're lucky that I didn't shoot your big head." 

"Now look who's saying? Atleast my big head has some strategies in it unlike yours." Wait, did he just said that I'm dumb....indirectly? Why you little-

"Ya!" I tried to grab him but he ran while sticking out his tongue. "See you at the coronation, prince Yifan!" His figure turned small as he ran a distance from where he was standing. I literally told him to stop calling me that. Being called prince is not my style. Well, I don't really bother since it's Jongdae were talking about. He's got a bag full of cats somewhere stacked inside his brain. We were childhood friends and we met because of his father being a commander of the Emperor's army.

As I was going back to watching the relaxing bamboo trees, I heard a drum resounding from the training grounds. I counted the beats. One....two...three..

No...damn it. Not now!

Three beats is a signal of a surprise attack. I passed over the palace and into the training grounds. I saw men carrying loads of sharpened spears and giving them out to the warriors who are positioning on the front lines of the gate. They opened it and I saw the enemies barging fast inside the barricaded walls of the training grounds. I was quick enough to grab a sword and drove it thoroughly into the enemy's chest. Blood came spilling out of him  and I continued to fight alongside the warriors. Judging by the banners clearly seen behind the open gates, it's none other than Lord Zhang's warriors!

"Your Majesty, you are not safe here! Go back to the palace!!" A warrior said to me while we were ripping the enemy's throats in half side by side. 

Run to the palace and miss out all the fun? Not on my watch! I wasn't trained by the best warriors in the land just to be placed inside the palace to be protected. I was born for this!!

An hour and a half passed with the ground now tainted red with the banner men of Lord Zhang riding their horses back to their own base. From the looks of it, something tells me we ain't seen the last of them.

I got back to the palace escorted by two guards and suddenly mother ran to my direction and hugged me while I was still reeking of fresh red blood. Her silk gown got stained and I quickly removed her arms gently.

"Mother, your clothes. It'll get stained!" I looked at her but she just had this worried expression plastered on her face.

"Son, are you okay?!" Ah, my mother is a terrible worrier. 

"Mother, don't worry. I can handle it. Just calm down and drink chai. Okay?" I assured her then I called for mom's handmaiden. "Don't do that again. I don't want your face scarred before your coronation." Ah, come on. Is my face really that important?!

While watching mom exit the room, I heard footsteps. My dad, the Emperor himself, came to the closed room. Guess this is gonna be another one on one talk.

"Hello, Father." 

"Son, I need to tell you something." You know when my dad's being serious it's because the pitch of his voice got an octave lower than before and is slightly being feared. 

"What is it?"

"....Your coronation will be tomorrow." he looked me right in the eye.

I just heard a million porcelain plates shattered. I can't believe what I just- 

"T-tomorrow!?" 

He gave me a small nod. How can he just sit there on the throne while his son is going berserk of this unprepared arranged marriage happening quite abit too fast??? I wouldn't be alarmed if it was next month but tomorrow? TOMORROW?!

"Father, with all due respect, I-"

"Do you know how many lives have been sacrificed in order to keep war at bay in this kingdom? With our force united with the Song Empire, were unstoppable."

This is really not my style.