Chapter 14

8 letters, 3 words...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Babe, what are you doing up at this hour?' Chaerin sighed sleepily.

'I can't sleep.' He replied, starting at the computer screen.

'It's 4:30 in the morning, what's keeping you awake?'

'I don't know okay.' He said frustratingly.

'Sorry, I just want to make sure you're okay.'

'Well I'm fine. Now go back to bed.'

'Youngbae, tell me.' She remarked, gritting her teeth.

He sighed deeply and turned to face her.

'If you really want to know, this whole baby thing is keeping me awake. I'm just distracting myself, okay?'

'Okay, but why is it keeping you awake? Are you scared of something? Come on, talk to me.'

'When we went shopping today for baby clothes, I almost had this sudden realisation. It was really daunting.'

'Then why didn't you tell me? We could've talked about it.' She said, sitting on the chair next to him.

'I'm really excited, you know that right? I can't wait for the moment I get to hold our little gem, but I don't feel ready.'

'Youngbae, I'm going to say this once and only once, if you think you're not ready now, you'll always think you're not ready.'

He sighed and looked at Chaerin tiredly.

'To be honest, I don't feel ready either. But we've just got to do it.'

'I suppose you're right.' 

'Now come back to bed, I'm tired and I can't sleep in a half empty bed.'

She grabbed him by the hand and they both walked into the bedroom. 

'Babe, I tried to hide this picture from you for as long as possible, but you can see it now.'

She handed him a photo printed on thin card, with a scanned picture of their baby inside Chaerin.

'Chaerin… when did you get a scan?'

'When you were out on schedule. Me and Bom went. I wanted to make it a surprise.' She said, getting underneath the covers.

'You went with Bom? Bad idea.'

'I know, she literally didn't shut up the whole time. She's more obsessed than we are.'

Taeyang pulled the covers and lay down next to Chaerin, looping his arms around her waist to back hug her.

'Chaerin, what was it like, seeing the baby for the first time.'

'It was weird.'

'What? That's it. "It was weird".' 

'Yep, it was just weird.'

'Shows how much of an imagination you've got.' He muttered.

'Yah, I'm tired and I want to go to bed, give me a break. I'll talk about it in the morning. Now shut up, I want to sleep.'

'And good night to you too.' He said sarcastically, switching the light off.

*

'Mr Dong? I'm sorry she didn't make it, neither did the baby. I'm so, so very sorry.' The doctor sighed, patting Taeyang on the shoulder and then walking to the desk behind him.

No. No. It can't be, they survived. They're alright, Taeyang told himself, his heart rate and breath increasing rapidly.

Chaerin stepped out of the room with a baby in her hands, smiling at him.

'Do you want to hold her? She's a real gem.' She said faintly, handing the baby over to him. He reached out to grab her but they both turned into thin wisps of air.

'What?' He said out loud.

'Mr Dong, are you okay? Do you want to sit down?' Asked the nurse, a frown spread across her face.

'No! Let go me!' He shouted at her, 'I just want it see my wife and baby.'

'Please sit down and calm yourself. You're not in the right state of mind, we understand you're suffering from a great loss.'

'But..' He sighed, 'but I just saw her. She was standing right there.'

'No Mr Dong. She's not alive anymore.' The doctor said calmly, placing his hand on Taeyang's shoulder.

He jerked awake and found Chaerin staring down at him worryingly, a damp towel in her hand.

'I'm so glad you're awake. You were screaming and crying, I didn't know what to do.' She sighed, putting the towel on his forehead.

'Don't do it.' He suddenly said, grabbing Chaerin's wrist.

'What? Don't do what?'

'Don't have this baby. I dreamt I lost you and the baby when you were in labour.'

'Youngbae…you're… hurting me.' She said, looking down at his hand.

'Sorry.' He said, sitting up and loosening his grip on her wrist. 'Just please don't do it.'

'Babe, it was a dream. It's not going to happen in real life. I'm not going anywhere.' She replied, dabbing the towel on his forehead. 'You're really worrying me you know. This is the second time in two days you haven't slept properly. Maybe you should see someone.'

'Maybe you're right.'

'Come on, I was making breakfast.' She said, pulling him out from under the covers. She pushed open the bedroom doors, holding Taeyang's hand and led him into the kitchen.

'Mmm.' He commented, smelling the air, 'something smells amazing Chae.'

'It's vegetable omelettes and ham and egg rice on the menu.' She replied, sorting out her pots and pans. 

The kitchen was clean and tidy, much to Taeyang's disappointment.

'How are you such a clean cook?'

'How are you such a messy one.' She remarked. 'Breakfast is served.' They each pulled out a chair and sat down in front of each other.

'There's a feast here.' 

He picked up a bowl and started spooning it out onto Chaerin's plate.

'Thanks for t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter