Pounding

What is love?

Baekhyun looks at the paper in his hand, before looking at Kyungsoo with his dead set eyes and raises his brows, a scowl forming on his lips. “You’ve got to be kidding me, right?”

 

Kyungsoo looks at him, raising his brows. “Does it look like I’m kidding?”

 

Baekhyun scowls at him. Putting the paper down on the table, he silently stands up to walk away when Kyungsoo holds him by the wrist and pushes him back down to sit. “No.” Baekhyun starts, ruffing.

 

“Yes.”

 

“No.”

 

“Yes, you are doing it Baekhyun.”

 

No.” Baekhyun emphasizes before he pushes the paper in front and points at it. “I am not singing in front of a crowd, Kyungsoo.” He emphasizes, almost spitting the words out.

 

Kyungsoo had told him earlier this morning that he was going to sing for the school’s opening ceremony as requested by the principal and he had been rejecting the idea ever since.

 

Kyungsoo knew he had a stage fright or more like he had social phobia, this was ridiculous.

 

Kyungsoo was being ridiculous.

 

“Baekhyun, jesus!” Kyungsoo exclaims, “You’re course is vocal, of course you will have to sing in front one way or another!” He knew what had happened to cause this and he had been trying to persuade him since before, that something like that would likely happen again because he had the voice, Kyungsoo was certain it would never happen again.

 

Baekhyun looks at him through slitted eyes, Kyungsoo only calls baekhyun by his name in three situation.

 

When he’s worried, when he needs help, and when he’s serious.

 

And in this case, it was all three.

 

“I signed up for vocal. And with that in mind, a vocal teacher.” Baekhyun groans, “I don’t want to sing alone! I’ll die!”

 

Kyungsoo covers his face with his hand, sighing. He looks at Baekhyun who was also looking back at him and ruffles his hair, a slight smile on his lips. “Fine,” He starts, “I’ll talk to the principal. We will sing, we baekhyun as in both of us.”

 

Baekhyun looks at Kyungsoo by the eyes, debating whether he should do it or not. “Hmm.” He hums, “Can I just play the piano or something?”

 

Kyungsoo scowls at him, “No. And that’s final.”

 

Baekhyun scowls at him one last time before rolling his eyes. He looks at the paper in his hand and reads it again for the nth time. He shakes his head remembering the scenes of before a shudder runs up his spine.

 

“Our last performer for tonight is,” The mc yelled in anticipation as the crowd roars in both excitement and anger. “Byun Baekhyun!” The crowd grew wilder and angrier as the MC said the name, venom evident in their voices.

 

Baekhyun grips the microphone he was holding before trudging his way towards the grand piano, its white exterior almost making him feel calm, he saunters towards it, a stoic expression on his face as he tries to block the hissing and booing of the audience to no avail.

 

He sits down at the chair, and releases his hold from the microphone as he sets it up. He looks at the crowd once and immediately regrets it when it lands on Chanyeol who was at the very front. His eyes were blank and his stare was cold. He forces himself to look away and looks at the crowd.

 

Anger, Disgust, Hate.

 

The way people had looked at him after breaking up with Chanyeol had always been like this. He’d had it worse, this was nothing.

 

He lifts his hand up and before it touches the keys, an egg flew right at him, splattering its content on his suit. He looks at the laughing crowd before another student throws an egg and again and again.

 

Unable to take it, he stands up and staggers a little before walking towards the backstage, away from the crowd, cat calls and hoorays echoing and making him suffocate.

 

He tries to hold the bile coming up and ignores the people frantically calling for him. He heads outside of the stadium, his breath ragged, his heart pounding, and his head aching.

 

This was his fault.

 

He stands up and staggers a little as he walks to where Kyungsoo is before seating down on the latter’s legs making the latter look at him with raised brows yet putting his hands on Baekhyun’s waist, supporting him.

 

“What?” Kyungsoo raises his brows. Kyungsoo notices the slight tremble in the latter’s lips and tightens his hold.

 

Baekyun smiles at him before enveloping him in a tight hug, his head on the latter’s shoulder. “if you weren’t such a pain in the , I would be in love with you.”

 

Kyungsoo snickers, placing a soft kiss on Baekhyun’s temple. “Pain in the , huh.” He starts, receiving a pinch from the latter. “If you were more of my type, I would be in love with you.”

 

Baekhyun lifts his head up with a mock gasp before a chuckle escapes his lips, holding Kyungsoo’s head by the cheeks before placing a peck on the latter’s forehead. “Well, I like you and you obviously like me.”

 

“You are disgusting.”

 

“Let me finish, you .”

 

“.. Fine.”

 

“I like you and you like me, so this isn’t a bad thing right?” Kyungsoo lifts his face up to look at the latter in the face. Baekhyun looked lost, like there was a battle going on inside him and he doesn’t know what to do. Kyungsoo lifts his hand and Baekhyun’s cheeks making him look at him in the eye.

 

“Of course it isn’t, love.” Kyungsoo starts, “You’re important to me, please don’t do this to yourself. It hurts me to see you like this.” He brings his hand on Baekhyun’s neck pulling the latter towards him and putting his forehead against baekhyun’s, looking him in the eye.

 

“You’re special, B.” He places a light kiss on the tip of Baekhyun’s nose before travelling to Baekhyun’s lips, mouthing the words Baekhyun had always felt comforted with.

 

 

Chanyeol was starting to regret his life choices when the very first class the next day had a Byun in it. He picks the farthest away from the duo—the big-eyed dude was with him—and thanks the heaven when he sees an available chair next to..

 

Next to Jieun!

 

Immediately walking towards the seat, Jieun notices him and waves “Hi, there!” She starts.

 

“Good morning.” He gives her a smile and before he could engage in a talk with her—or lack of thereof—the door opened with a slam.

 

Ms. Hwang, their Vocal teacher came in the room with a skip in her walk. Her hills made a clicking sound and her smile was radiant as she slams her notebook down the table, catching everybody’s attention.

 

“Good Morning, Class!” She says in perfect English, looking at every one of the students in room. “I will be your Vocal teacher, Ms. Tiffany Hwang.” She says in straight Korean.

 

“Let’s skip the introduction, we will have the whole semester for that.” She winks, Chanyeol could hear the cooing from the guys. “Everyone of you will be performing in front of the class whenever called.”

 

One of the students raises their hands, “Can it be a cover?”

 

Ms. Hwang smiled at her before shaking her head. “Originals. It can either be a dance, instruments, or vocal. You auditioned for this school through orinals before you got accepted, i don't think this will be a problem for you. Whatever your choice is, remember this is an impromptu calling so it’s best if you take your time practicing. This will also serve as your quiz.” She looks at the students once again before smiling and taking out her notebook. “Well, then. Let’s start today?”

 

"Wait, what?"

 

"Atr you serious?!"

 

"I haven't even prepared my heart!"

 

The students’s hush murmurs could be heard all through out the class and everyone was thinking of the same thing. “Can we start next week, Ma’am?”

 

“Of course not.” Ms. Hwang answers, looking at the student. “I told you didn’t i? Impromptu.” She smiles at him once again before looking at her notebook.

 

“Mr.” She starts, the girls sigh in relief and the guys tensed “Park Chanyeol?”

 

. . .