Hitched

What is love?

It was… breathtaking.

 

The figure on top of the mini ladder that was right beside the big window looked like an angel as the sun’s rays makes his or her body barely visible but still noticeable. He or she had a book on her (Chanyeol already established it as a she because.. well just because.) Every curve of the figure looked beautiful in chanyeol's eyes.

 

Breathtaking.

 

That was what Chanyeol had thought the moment he passed the last row of the library, on the first day, looking for peace (basically a place to sleep) but what he had seen was so much more.

 

Much, much more.

 

He looks at the figure as it descends from the ladder, chanyeol’s breath hitching every step it, she,  takes. He looks at the figure as she closes the book she had been reading and placed it at the bottom of the ladder before walking towards where chanyeol was standing, the sun’s rays fading as she nears.

 

And the moment she or he was standing in front of chanyeol, chanyeol’s voice hitched for a whole different reason.

 

“You’re here.” The figure begins, a slight smirk on his face “Park Chanyeol.” Chanyeol hears a snicker as the other walks past him.

 

Chanyeol takes a moment before reality sinks in, shock, confusion and anger invading him all together. “Byun Baekhyun” He grits out.

 

 

<<< 3 years ago

 

It was typical, really. They were bound to fall in love, they said. They were perfect for each other, their friends said. Kris, their mutual friend, even told them they were cute (although he mostly gagged it out and kicked them out of his house because it was 7 ing am in the morning and he coulnd't they have waited for him at school)

 

Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun had a strange relationship the moment they bumped each other on the first day of their class on high school.

 

You could say, it was faith, as cheesy as that gets.

 

Chanyeol had thought baekhyun was a freshman just like him due to his innocent face and petite figure, and the latter had thought Chanyeol was a senior with his towering height and booming voice.

 

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol had smiled at him, baekhyun smiling back “Are you okay?”

 

“Grand.” Baekhyun answers, “I’m Byun Baekhyun… uh sunbae.”

 

“Park chanyeol, you can call me hyung.”

 

It wasn’t until later, when they sat together for lunch and chanyeol’s friends came by that they’d found out the truth that chanyeol was the younger of the two and the reason why chanyeol had not seen his face before was because Baekhyun had just transferred and he was actually a sophomore.

 

“I’ve been calling you hyung for the past 4 hours, I was so close to calling you sunbae!” Baekhyun gasped, fake disgust written on his face.

 

“Hey, I thought you were a freshman too!” Chanyeol had defended.

 

“Well, I thought you were a senior” Baekhyun had pouted, staring at chanyeol before the both of them started laughing, the people around them looking at them oddly.

 

Mostly because they were noisy.

 

“You act like you both have known each other for 12 years.” Suho had smiled at them, baekhyun knew him because he was in the student council and Chanyeol.. well Kim joonmyeon was chanyeol’s cousin and he was the oldest, though he doesn’t look like it.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked at each other and smiled, “guess we’re officially best friends, now.” Chanyeol had declared his hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder as he gives the latter a side hug.

 

“Guess we are.” Baekhyun chuckles.

 

 

It wasn’t until 1 year later when things got cheesy and sweet as . Kris actually thinks it’s overdramatic but whatever suits their taste.

 

“Hey, lovebirds!” Kris, also a senior they had met through joonmyeon, called.

 

Chanyeol and baekhyun looked him blankly before deciding to ignore him because… well, just because.

 

“Hey,” Kris scowls, before placing his hand on chanyeol’s shoulder and the other patting baekhyun, chanyeol bumping him by the elbow for touching his baekhyun. His becausae Baekhyun was chanyeol’s best friend and he’s the only once who can pet Baekhyun.

 

“Stop petting me, why are you here?” Baekhyun scowls. “You’re in college, why do you have so much free time?”

 

“Because I’m awesome.” Kris rolls his eyes. “Anyway, will the two of you lovebir—?”

 

“Why do you call us that?” Chanyeol scowls.

 

“Because you two are always together and girls are doubting your uality.” Though I still wonder why they doubt you because you obviously like each other.  Kris rolls his eyes again, “And well, to diffuse this rumor, why don’t you two go to tonight’s meet up?” so that one of you gets jealous and confess already.

 

“You’re just short on people” Baekhyun scoffs.

 

“That. And, the girls wanted to see the two of you” Kris scoffs “Which by the way, I don’t know why because I’m much hotter that both of you combined.”

 

“You disgust me.” Baekhyun cringes.

 

Kris decides to ignore that before raising a brow. “So? Are you coming?”

 

“Pass.” Baekhyun answers. “I have homeworks. Being a junior isn't easy, hyung. You of all people should know.”

 

Kris scowls, “Fine,” He whips his head to chanyeol “How about you?”

 

Chanyeol shakes his head, “Nope, don’t wanna.”

 

Kris scowls at the both of them, giving them the finger “I expected this much.” He sighs, bidding goodbye at them. I’ll get you one day, just you wait.

 

Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol, curiously, before opening his mouth “You sure you don’t wanna go?” He asks although he hopes chanyeol’s answer remains.

 

Chanyeol shrugs, “You’re not going. What’s the fun in that?”

 

Baekhyun blushes.

 

 

Baekhyun heads out of the room, exhausted as he had taken another quiz for the day. It was his third quiz. Seriously, were they trying to kill students?

 

Not that Baekhyun had any troubles with his classes, he was at the top of the class or more like the year, it was just…. Just exhausting to take quizzes.

 

He lethargically walks to the library, his thoughts wondering back to the conversation he had with chanyeol. Is it okay to hope that chanyeol felt the same as he does? That chanyeol likes him too?

 

He blushes at the thought, he had planned to confess to the latter many times but the idea of Chanyeol avoiding him and breaking off their friendship was far too painful than seeing him in the near future with a girlfriend so he lets his feelings be.

 

But… just maybe…

 

He turns right at the corner and sees chanyeol at the far end of hall and before he could call him, he notices a girl clinging on his right. Baekhyun stops waking and just looks on as chanyeol laughs at what the girl had been saying before patting the girl on the head, moving to where the cafeteria is.

 

Baekhyun takes a moment before walking the opposite way, leaving his books in his locker without uttering a word as he leaves the school, ignoring his classmates calling for him.

 

What the ? Why was he so assuming anyway? Chanyeol was straight and he, himself, should be straight. Heck, this was abnormal. He was abnormal.

 

He takes out his phone and dials a number with shaking hands.

 

“Hello, baekhyun?” Kris asks from the other line.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t say anything at first making kris worried. “Byun, are you alright?”

 

“I…” Baekhyun begins, “I’m fine. Just wanted to ask where the meet up is at?”

 

Kris takes his time to answer, “at Pandora’s, 6pm.”

 

“Okay.” Baekhyun answers back.

 

“Byun, are you really okay?”

 

“I’m fine, hyung.”

 

 

It was like in the movies when the guy would be all jealous and throw a punch or two at the other guy for hitting on his girl, but Chanyeol does not hit girls and baekhyun was not his, and most of all he doesn’t even know why he’s furious when Kris had called him earlier that Baekhyun decided to come. Okay, maybe he does.

 

And yes, it was because Baekhyun hadn’t told him. Probably.

 

Or because Baekhyun was now being hit on by girls. And that other girl purposely shoving her s at baekhyun. ing disgusting.

 

Or because baekhyun had been ignoring him since he came–barged-in earlier.

 

Either way, he’s had enough.

 

“Baekhyun.” Chanyeol grits out, standing up and waking to where the older is, holding him by the elbow and dragging him.

 

“Wha—What the hell, Chanyeol! Let go!” Baekhyun struggles, trying to flee his hand from Chanyeol who was pulling him away from the Karaoke bar.

 

“Chanyeol!” finally. Kris yells, noticing his friend going out of the room “He—Where are you go—“ Kris’ sentence gets cut off with the loud sound of the door slamming. “What the hell?” He scratches his head, explaining at the girls that they were fighting. Or making out.

 

“Chanyeol, damn it!” Baekhyun grits out, “What the hell is your problem?!” He shouts, thanking chanyeol and his stupidity for bring them in a park, with no people around.

 

“You!” Chanyeol whips his head, letting Baekhyun go. “God, damn it! You!”

 

“How is this my problem?!”

 

Chanyeol ruffles his hair, “Damn it, I thought you weren’t coming here! , Baek. Why?!”

 

“What is your god damn problem whether I go here or not?! It’s not your damn bus—“

 

“I ing love you!” Chanyeol growls.

 

Silence envelops the as Baekhyun looks at him dumbfounded, slowly covering his face, disbelief in his eyes. “W-what are…? You’re l-lying, right?”

 

“I love you, Baek, Damn it!” Chanyeol covers his face with his hand “this confession isn’t what I had in mind but…” He sighs, “I love the way you smile, I love the way you sing, I love the way you whimper when sleeping, I know because I always watch you do that which by the way is really creepy of—“

 

“Chanyeol”

 

“—me. But I still love you, and I hope you love m—“

 

“Chanyeol” Baekhyun covers Chanyeol’s mouth, his face ablaze as he tries now to squeal at the embarrassment and the happiness he was feeling.

 

Chanyeol frowns, he slowly removes Baekhyun’s hand, “Baek, I love you, do you love me too?”

 

Baekhyun bites his lips, his hand quivering before looking down, Chanyeol bites his lips, anticipating for a rejection and a broken friendship (and heart) before he notices the slight nod Baekhyun gives him and a barely audible “I… I love you too… For a long time now…”

 

When they entered the school the next day, hand in hand, only a few were surprised and judging by the stares they got, it seems they were too oblivious of each other’s feelings.

 

“ing finally.” Kris sighs as he sees Baekhyun and Chanyeol enter the cafeteria. “I thought I had to formulate another ing plan just so you could already.”

 

“You ing swear a lot” Baekhyun scowls. “Get out of ing my seat, face. And you’re treating me because you tricked me and played with our feelings.”

 

Kris doesn’t argue.

 

At least looking at them being disgustingly sweet to each other with a label is better than watching them act like a couple just as friends.

 

 

It wasn’t until 4 months into the relationship when things really got complicated. Chanyeol’s parents had came back from abroad, their arms open wide as they hug their only child, love and care evident on their faces as Baekhyun watches from the sideline, a feint smile on his face.

 

Although they were both weird (Jongdae, their new found friend’s words) they were rich and smart, although the 2nd part only applies to Baekhyun… Chanyeol was the only son of Park Hyungseok and Park Minhye, two of the most efficient doctors of korea. And Baekhyun is the son of a CEO, the leading one at that.

 

Baekhyun had never seen his father for years now with the occasional emailing of how is school, who he knows was sent by his dad’s secretary just for the sake of it, his mother had died giving birth to Baekhyun and his father just did not have the courage to look at him specially since growing up, he was the split image of his mother and knowing that his son was gay, it resulted to almost disowning him (not that, that matters because he never had the chance to inherit in the first place). His older brother, Baekbeom, was with his father handling the business just fine, and he’s left alone in a big house, in his dark room.

 

“Baek!” Chanyeol called, waving his arms, a smile on his face.

 

Baekhyun pushes himself up from the wall, a smile on his face, as he looks at Chanyeol’s curious parents. “Good Evening, Sir and Ma’am. My name is Byun Baekhyun.” He smiles and bows.

 

Chanyeol’s mother graced him with the same warmth chanyeol gave him “Hi, Baekhyun-sshi! My,” Chanyeol’s mother looks at chanyeol “You never told us you have such an adorable friend!”

 

Baekhyun bites his lips, anxious as Chanyeol smiles at him. “Actually,” Chanyeol begins, “He’s my boyfriend.”

 

The shock on their faces were enough evidence that they had not expected this nor did they like the idea.

 

“Boyfriend?” Chanyeol’s father spoke for the first time since Baekhyun had came, the latter fidgeting. “Son, what are you…”

 

“Dad, I like him.” Chanyeol deadpans “And he’s my boyfriend. There’s that.” He sighs, before grabbing baekhyun’s hand and walking “Now, come on! I can’t wait for my presents!”

 

“Wa-wait, chanyeol. I-I don’t think…” Baekhyun stammers out as he looks back at chanyeol’s parents rooted, shock written on their faces.

 

“It’s okay, they’ll understand!” Chanyeol smiles reassuringly.

 

Although Baekhyun doesn’t feel relieve, at all, he smiles at chanyeol’s optimism.

 

 

Chanyeol chuckles at himself, remembering the face Baekhyun had looked at him with when he had told him he hadn’t taken a bath and that he could wait with his parents. He knew Baekhyun was awkward with his parents and vice versa that was why he asked Baekhyun to wait with his parents.

 

For them to bond.

 

He hums to himself, taking his time to take a bath and when he had finally dimmed himself clean, he opened the bathroom door “Baek, I’m almost done!”

 

30 minutes later and he was done, he went down the stairs, searching for that one figure when he noticed he wasn’t present. “Mom” he started, gaining the attention of his parents. “Where’s baekhyun?”

 

His mother coughs nervously, “H-he went home.”

 

Chanyeol frowned. Baekhyun went home without telling him? But they had a date, why did baekhyun go? “That kid” He pouts, almost ready to go after him until his father spoke.

 

“He told us to tell you that something came up, something alone the lines of cousin…”

 

Chanyeol nodded in response, telling himself to just text baekhyun. Maybe it was an emergency.

 

 

 

“God, you’re so ing annoying” Baekhyun yelled, “I’m done with you. Can’t you see me kissing another man?! Do I have to yell it to you that I don’t love you anymore?!”

>>>present

 

 

Chanyeol slams his fist on the table, his whole form shaking as he remembers the events he had buried 6—no, 22 feet below. The students who had also skipped looked at him annoyed but he doesn’t care, he doesn’t ing care because that one person who betrayed him is here.

 

He stomps out of the library in anger, striding to god knows where when he takes a moment, recoqnizing that tall height with a menacing aura around him. “Kris!” he yells, gaining the person being called.

 

He jogs to the person, his face painted with relief momentarily forgetting his worry. Kris looks at him surprised, a smile slowly creeping up his face as he engulfs Chanyeol in a tight hug. “You , I haven’t seen you in months!”

 

Chanyeol scowls at him, “really? You’re the one telling me that?” he raises his eyebrow at him, kris chuckling at him in return.

 

“What are you doing here anyway?” Chanyeol asks. “Last I check, you don’t go to this school—if you haven’t graduated already…”

 

Kris nodded, “I don’t, I’m working for a year as a teacher at the same time going to school. It’s actually my first day here.” Kris stops for a moment before loking at chanyeol, a frown on his face “And you’re supposed to be at the entrance ceremony.”

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, “Yeah, no thanks. I was just in the libr—“ He stops mid sentence when he remembers what had happened earlier, his face turning to red a scowl forming.

 

Kris looks from the paper on his hand to chanyeol, his eyes widening “What’s wrong?” he asks.

 

Chanyeol looks at him dead straight in the eye “That ing is here.”


Thank you for reading if you did :)