Cemetery

The In-Between (Hiatus)

Sunggyu was up before the crack of dawn. It was still eerily dark outside, and unexpectedly freezing as well. Woohyun and Sungjong were still sound asleep, snoring peacefully. Stifling a yawn, he can't help but ponder about their location. Just what kind of place is this?

Sunggyu made his way to the back of the warehouse slowly. Considering that it was dark, he couldn't help but wave his hands randomly around him, and accidentally bumping the wooden boxes with his leg a few times. Nonetheless, he made it to the sink. The tap made a creak when he turned it, and water gushed out smoothly. He felt the sleepiness and fatigue go away as he rinsed his face. Suddenly, a scream jolted him. He rushed back to Woohyun and Sungjong, almost tripping over the boxes, only to find Woohyun panting heavily and Sungjong still asleep.

“You scared me. You okay?” Sunggyu asked.

“Y...eah, just a nightmare,” Woohyun nodded, panting. He glanced at the maknae, who was oblivious to the scream, still wandering in his neverland.

“It's still early, get some sleep,” Sunggyu patted Woohyun's back, who was still terrified.

“What about you? Why are you up so early?” The latter asked, but grateful that his hyung was there.

“Guess my body didn't feel like resting anymore.”

Woohyun chuckled softly. “Where should we go next? We don't have a map.”

It was true, they had no clue of their whereabouts, and they didn't have a map. “We'll find out later, sun's gonna be out soon I guess, we'll move after that.”

Woohyun turned his gaze towards Sungjong. “He's really fragile. Do you think he can make it through whatever that's coming at us in the future?”

“I don't know, but I think he will.”

 

 

 

The sun was up in a few hours time. Sunggyu and Woohyun made sure that supplies were packed as much as possible. Sungjong was still sleeping, having no idea that it was time for departure. Sighing, Sunggyu decided to take the role as a father to wake him up, since Woohyun was preparing some food available for breakfast like a mother.

“Yah, maknae. Wake up, we gotta leave soon,” he poked the boy. There wasn't any response until he deliberately poked Sungjong harder in the ribs. The maknae gave a groaning sound and forced open his eye lids.

“What?” He mumbled, still half-asleep.

“Don't what me. I said we'll be leaving soon. Get up before we leave your sorry here alone,” Sunggyu narrowed his eyes, annoyed.

“Ah...yeah,” Sungjong mumbled again and supported himself up.

This kid. Sunggyu thought.

Woohyun settled down with a few opened cans of baked beans and ham. Way to go for breakfast. Sunggyu sat down beside him and started to munch away while the maknae was still rinsing his face with water.

“Does it still hurt?” Sunggyu gestured to the maknae's injured hand.

“It's fine,” he smiled. At that moment, Woohyun tossed him a gauze and ointment.

“It's still bleeding a bit, you need to wrap it so you won't get infection,” Woohyun advised. Sungjong gazed it the stuff given, probably wondering how to warp his wound up.

“Give it here, I'll help you,” Woohyun shook his head and sighed. Sungjong gritted his teeth as the ointment stung his wound. Looking at the fragile boy, Woohyun hurriedly wrap the wound with the gauze. “Quit being a baby, it hurts me to see you wince like this.”

“But it really does hurt,” Sungjong said. “Anyway, thank you.”

“Eat up, we have to move,” Sunggyu interrupted.

After a reasonable amount of food, the three musketeers got ready to leave. Sungjong struggled lifting up the Claymore he had while Sunggyu took the lead. They exited the warehouse, and it was still autumn woods as usual.

“Where should we start?” Woohyun asked. Sungjong took a brief glance everywhere, and saw two pathways leading after the warehouse.

“I'm guessing there?” He pointed to the direction. Sunggyu and Woohyun looked to where he had pointed, finding themselves two pathways a few feet up ahead. They walked there, slowly and cautiously, gripping their Claymores tightly, bracing for any intruders or assassins.

“Should we take the left or the right?” Sungjong asked.

“I'd say left,” Woohyun answered.

“But my gut is telling me to go right,” Sunggyu argued.

“Left is better,” Woohyun scowled.

“How do you know?” Sunggyu retorted.

“My heart says so.”

“My gut is better than your heart.”

“Yah maknae, which one?” Sunggyu looked at Sungjong. He thought for awhile, and pointed left.

“Hah!” Woohyun instigated in victory. “Told you my heart was better.”

Grimacing, Sunggyu surrendered. “Fine.”

 

 

 

And yes, to the left pathway they went. Walking a few meters after the pathway had been divided, the whole place started to shift and change again. The autumn forest soon turned into a cemetery, and it was nighttime.

“What the-” Woohyun gasped.

“And see what you both brought us all in,” Sunggyu blamed the both of them.

“Well, you're choice could make us end up in a breathing dragon's lair,” he argued.

“Fine, then let's go back,” Sungjong suggested. The three of them turned to their backs and walked, but the place remained the same.

“I think re-dos are not allowed,” Woohyun shook his head. “There's only a choice given, what's done is done.”

“True.” Sunggyu acknowledged. “And it's all thanks to you beanpoles.”

Woohyun gave him his pokerface look. “Quit blaming us.”

“Guys. Hush,” Sungjong placed a finger over his lip. The two older guys immediately became cautious, listening to the sound of a snarling animal become louder and louder.

“What...in the world...” Sunggyu gasped as he made eye contact with a pair of glowing eyes in the dark. It growled, and it appears to be very big in size. Very big.

The growls were increasing in number. There wasn't just one, in fact, many were approaching. The three of them huddled back to back, facing every direction and slowly making a turn as they gripped their Claymores tightly. The creatures began to close up their distance and suddenly, there was a howl. Adrenaline pumped through their veins as they realized those things-were werewolves. But there was one with a strange symbol engraved on its face.

“We,” Woohyun mumbled. “are in deep .”

9

 

Sungyeol groaned. The sun was up and shining at his eyes. He reeked of blood, but he couldn't help it. After all, he did try to run from the blonde girl who tried to attack him but she was relentless, so Sungyeol took the decision to just end her life. Killing her still haunted Sungyeol. He was jolted awake a few times during the night when he tried to sleep, afraid that the girl might come back alive and make sure he dies by her hand.

His stomach made a low growl-he was hungry. He got up and dusted the leaves that covered him. Yes, he had no choice but to find the biggest tree available and sleep under it for the whole night, what else could he do?

Walking without any signs displayed or directions given, he just wandered around. He had to get something to eat, or else he would starve to death. Just then, he saw a bare tree with golden apples hanging at the end of the branches. It was quite a distance, he had to jump slightly to grab a hold of it. But no matter how Sungyeol tugged and pulled at the apple, the branch just wouldn't snap.

“Damn it,” he muttered under his breath. “I should have took the knife with me.” He left in a hurry after he counterattacked the blondie, leaving the knife behind as well, and he regretted. Without any choice left, he had to move forwards. Wandering awhile again in the woods, he saw a warehouse appearing in front of him. Cautiously, he looked around. Sungyeol learned to always stay alert, if he didn't, he would probably end up dead for real. Frantically looking around, there was no sign of creatures or whatsoever. He leaned an ear at the door of the warehouse, but no sound was heard. With a hard push, the door flew open. The warehouse was human-less, but he saw a few large opened-wooden boxes.

Assa! Sungyeol cheered inwardly when he saw food and clothes available. He proceeded to close the door first, then made his way towards the sink behind and cleaned himself. He ripped off the bloodied clothes and donned on new ones. He was taken aback when he saw pieces of fabric accumulated below the sink. He picked it up and examined one by one. Then, his mind clicked. There were people here before. 

He opened the cans of food with ease and gobbled them up. He was so hungry till he felt like dying. He took the last knapsack left and chucked it the remaining cans of food. Just as he was about to exit the warehouse, he remembered that he had left out the last box on the left. He went for a brief glance, finding himself a Claymore. Chuckling, he felt that there was still hope. Holding on to that hope he just found, he left the warehouse.

“Mission one: Look for survivors.”

9

“Hyung!” Woohyun yelled as a werewolf pounced on Sunggyu. Sungjong gripped his Claymore in fear, eyes in total shock. He didn't know what to do, for he was to terrified to even think.

Sunggyu grunted and wrestled with the werewolf that was pinning him down. It snapped and snarled, intending to bite him. Woohyun rushed to Sunggyu with his Claymore, lifting it up and positioned to stab the werewolf on him. Another werewolf knocked Woohyun down, pinning him as well. Sungjong was petrified seeing both his hyungs pinned against the ground by two werewolves.

The rest of the werewolves were keeping an eye on Sungjong, if he rushes to help his hyungs, he would be attacked as well.

But Sungjong had no choice, if he didn't help soon, his hyungs will be dead. Screaming as loud as possible, he charged at the werewolf that was pinning Woohyun. The third werewolf took action and ran for Sungjong. It lunged at Sungjong with a great leap, but Sungjong was faster. He swung his Claymore at the werewolf and sucessfully stab it right through the chest. They both slammed onto the ground and blood spewed on Sungjong. He wrestled to get the werewolf off him and proceeded to aid his hyungs.

Of course, the rest of the werewolves were absolutely unhappy, considering Sungjong killed one of them. Wrath gleamed in their eyes as the rest of them (3 werewolves) howled and leaped for Sungjong.

Sunggyu screamed in pain as the werewolf on him bit his shoulder. He frantically reached for the Claymore beside him and gave the werewolf a deep cut. It howled and released its grip on his shoulders. Sunggyu fought to stand up on his feet, gritting his teeth because of the pain, and blood oozed out. He looked at Sungjong, being attacked by 3 werewolves and Woohyun who was still in the grasp of his werewolf. He made up his mind to help Sungjong first, since Woohyun was stronger than he looked.

“Sungjong!” Sunggyu called for his name, indicating him to duck as he threw his Claymore, passing through cleanly at one of the werewolf. Sunggyu was surprised himself, it felt like he had superpowers to throw it with so much force. Unfortunately, the werewolf that pounced on Sunggyu wasn't dead yet, it attacked him from behind. Sunggyu closed his eyes, bracing for the pain that was coming at him. But, he heard the shrill howl from the werewolf instead. He opened his eyes, only to see a tall guy stabbing the werewolf. Without hesitating, Sunggyu rushed to Sungjong, but was thrashed away by one of the werewolves.

Woohyun grunted and hauled his fist at the werewolf on him. He was getting sick of the werewolf's foul breath. It whimpered and staggered back. In a flash, Woohyun swung his Claymore, separating the head and the body of the werewolf. These weapons sure are sharp. He huffed. He noticed the strange tall man rushing to Sungjong, aiding him. He too, got up on his feet and ran to Sungjong. Sunggyu was in no state to get up as he was injured badly. One of the remaining two werewolves charged at Woohyun and he jumped. He was shocked himself to see how far he was from the ground. It was like he was soaring instead.

Catching the werewolf off guard, he positioned his Claymore and stabbed the werewolf straight from the head. The stranger yelled and finished off the last one, the one that had the strange symbol engraved on its face. But that particular wolf didn't die, it was still alive and it gave a hard to the stranger's stomach. The stranger choked and fell to the floor. Sungjong was scratched up badly, lying on the ground. The werewolf turned it's gaze towards Woohyun, growling ever so fiercely that it scared him. It leaped for Woohyun and the latter closed his eyes and held his breath while pointing the Claymore right at its face. Blood splattered on him and he opened his eyes, finding his Claymore stuck right at the symbol on the werewolf. It didn't move anymore-it was dead.

Breathing a sigh of relief, he pulled out his Claymore. The stranger came beside Woohyun.

“Are you okay?”

Woohyun nodded. “Yeah, thanks. You got a name?”

“Sungyeol. Lee Sungyeol,” the stranger replied. Then Woohyun remembered-Sunggyu.

“Hyung,” he got up and rushed to Sunggyu, still lying on the ground.

“I'll live,” Sunggyu said and clutched his bleeding shoulder. “Go check on maknae.” With that, Woohyun rushed to Sungjong, finding Sungyeol crouching beside him.

“Is he okay?” Woohyun asked.

“Yeah, but he's unconscious,” Sungyeol placed his ear on Sungjong's chest. Woohyun looked everywhere for their knapsacks. They dropped while fighting the werewolves. To his luck, he found all of them and rummaged through for first aid kits.

“Help him first,” Sungyeol pointed at Sunggyu. “I'll wrap up this guy.” Woohyun nodded and went to Sunggyu. He tore of a long piece of his own shirt and wrapped it on Sunggyu's shoulder to stop the bleeding. Sunggyu grunted in pain.

“Are you okay? How's Sungjong?” Sunggyu asked as Woohyun wrapped a gauze over his shoulder.

“I'm okay, Sungjong's still alive, but unconsious,” the latter replied.

“Who's that guy?” Sunggyu pointed at Sungyeol, who was currently in the process of stopping excessive blood from flowing out of Sungjong.

“Don't know, but his name is Lee Sungyeol. I'm glad he helped us, or else we wouldn't even stand a chance.”

Sunggyu looked at Woohyun while waiting for his shoulder to be wrapped completely. Woohyun was covered in blood, head to toe. Sunggyu gently lifted his hand and brushed Woohyun's bangs away from his eyes. The younger looked at him, and their eyes locked for awhile.

“I'm...d...done,” Woohyun stuttered and broke the gaze. Heat rushed into Sunggyu.

“Ah, thanks.”

“Guys!” Sungyeol called from a distance. Both Woohyun and Sunggyu looked at him. “Something's odd here. Come now.”

The two immediately got up to their feet and walked to where Sungyeol was standing-next to the werewolf with the strange symbol on its face. But it wasn't a werewolf anymore, it turned into a woman.

“What the-” Sunggyu gasped.

“Are you ting me?” Woohyun scowled.

“It suddenly transformed into a woman, but it's okay since she or it is dead,” Sungyeol said. “Mind telling me your name?”

“Kim Sunggyu.”

“Nam Woohyun.”

“That guy?” Sungyeol pointed to Sungjong who was still unconscious on the ground.

“That's Lee Sungjong.” Sunggyu said. “How did you get here?”

“Don't know. Woke up with bright lights, some blondie tried to attack me, places changed, ended in a warehouse, then now this cemetery,” Sungyeol answered briefly.

Woohyun nodded. “Let's discuss further later. We gotta get Sungjong up and leave this place first.”

The three of them gathered all their knapsacks. “We can't take everything.” Woohyun said. “We have to carry Sungjong too.”

Sunggyu sighed. “Alright, let's leave some food behind. Give me all your Claymores, I'll carry them.”

“But your shoulder's injured, you sure you can handle it?” Sungyeol asked out of concern.

“Yeah, I'll be fine,” the older answered and took the Claymores. Sungyeol and Woohyun supported Sungjong's arms and carried him along. At that moment, Sungjong regained consciousness.

“You okay?” Woohyun asked.

“Y...eah, what happened?”

“We'll explain later, right now we gotta get out of this place first.”

“Who's this?” He looked at Sungyeol.

“My name's Lee Sungyeol, can you walk?”

“Yes, I can.”

With one less burden, Woohyun and Sungyeol could help Sunggyu take the heavy Claymores. The four of them walked slowly through the cemetery, huddled in a group. They were in pain and they were tired. Up ahead, there were two pathways again. All of them groaned, knowing that it's all up to their decision to determine what lies ahead again.

“Now what?” Sunggyu sighed. “If we encounter more stuff like these, we better off be dead.”

“Sunggyu's right,” Sungjong agreed.

“We still gotta choose, what if there are more of the wolves?” Woohyun asked.

Shaking his head, Sungyeol said, “I'm going right this time. Choosing left brought me bad luck.”

The rest of them agreed. “Okay, right we go.”


Authornim: At last! I finally updated! Thanks to the new subbies! Love you guys <3 Hope you guys enjoy this chapter, drop comments! I read everyone of them :D