Separation II

The In-Between (Hiatus)

Sunggyu and Sungjong found an empty apartment room after all the chaos. They locked themselves in it and prayed for the zombies to leave them alone. It has probably been a few hours since they rammed in here for shelter. The sun was setting as well.

“You alright, Jong?” Sunggyu asked the younger who seemed like he can't take it anymore.

“Yeah,” the quiver in his voice gave everything away. In reality, Sungjong was scared to death. He didn't want to die, he had no death wish.

Being the older hyung, Sunggyu felt bad seeing Sungjong like this. It felt like he needed to protect him.

“Come here,” Sunggyu outstretched his arm. Sungjong looked at him awhile. His eyes began tearing and he sniffled a sob whilst crashing into Sunggyu's arms.

“It's okay,” Sunggyu said in a hushed voice, simultaneously patting Sungjong's back.

“I'm scared, hyung,” Sungjong whimpered. “What if we don't make it out?”

“It's okay, we'll get out of here, I promise,” Sunggyu assured him. “Get some sleep, we'll move the next morning.”

Sungjong slowly removed himself from Sunggyu's embrace and wiped his tears away. “Okay.”

9

Woohyun woke up to a distinguishable groan. He perked up from the bed, realizing that Sungyeol was sleeping on the couch outside. He wanted to let Sungyeol sleep on the bed, but the latter dozed off on the couch and he was too heavy to be carried. Woohyun held a Claymore against his chest-just in case if Sungyeol turns into one of them. Slowly, he crept towards the entrance. Sungyeol was up.

“Are you okay?” Woohyun asked, lowering his Claymore.

“I...” Sungyeol coughed weakly. “Don't feel good...”

Woohyun went to Sungyeol for a closer look. To his surprise, Sungyeol was paler as usual. But luckily there was no sign of infection anywhere.

“Am I going to turn into a zombie?” He asked the older.

“You won't, you're okay,” Woohyun examined his face. “You just lost too much blood, keep drinking water.”

“I feel dizzy-” Sungyeol sat on the couch, holding his head. Woohyun rushed to the kitchen, filling a jug with water.

“Drink this,” he handed it to Sungyeol. The latter took it over and took a few swigs.

“We have to find Sunggyu and Sungjong,” Sungyeol said.

“You can't possibly go out in this state,” Woohyun argued. “I'll go alone.”

“I'm coming with you,” Sungyeol argued back.

Woohyun sighed inwardly, Sungyeol couldn't even stand straight, how is he to help find the others?

“No, you're going to stay here until I come back, I'm going alone,” Woohyun concluded.

“I can help,” Sungyeol protested and stood to his feet. “I'm alright now.” Woohyun's back was facing Sungyeol, his fists clenched into balls.

“I already said you're staying here.”

“No, quit being selfish!” Sungyeol shouted. “You can't make it out there alone.”

In rage, Woohyun grabbed Sungyeol by the collar and hissed, “I can't see you dead alright? I know you want to help but you've lost so much blood. You don't even have the strength to lift up the Claymore. You're gonna get us both killed if go out there, do you understand me?”

Sungyeol gritted his teeth. Woohyun has a point, he was gonna drag them both down. Huffing, he gave in. “Alright, I'll stay here.”

Woohyun patted his shoulder and grabbed a Claymore. “Don't open the door unless it's me, got it?”

Sungyeol nodded, looking at Woohyun walking to the door.

“Hyung, wait.”

Woohyun turned over his shoulders. “What is it?”

“You can't go out like this, you're vulnerable. You might be easily bitten.”

“What do you suggest then?”

Sungyeol looked around the area, finding a few big pieces of cardboard lying in the kitchen. “I know what to do.” He limped towards the kitchen, retrieving the cardboards and finding duct tape in one of the drawers.

“Tape yourself up, it would minimize your chances of getting bitten.”

Woohyun thought it was a good idea, so he followed, wrapping his forearm, thighs and calves with the cardboard. Sungyeol helped him tape a few pieces on the shoulders. “Just in case a zombie lands on you and tries to bite you.”

“Right, thanks.” Woohyun made a few twists to ensure he could move freely. “I'll be going then. If I don't make it back by sundown...” he looked at Sungyeol, expecting him to understand.

“You're gonna make it, don't leave me here,” Sungyeol murmured. “One last thing.”

Woohyun looked at him, slightly confused. “Here.” Sungyeol handed him 2 kitchen knives. “In case you lose your Claymores.”

Woohyun nodded and bumped fists with Sungyeol. “Thanks.”

Woohyun leaned his ear on the door, listening for sounds. He opened the door slowly and peeked outside: the corridor was clear. Woohyun turned to Sungyeol one last time, nodding as a goodbye-for-now and left. Sungyeol closed the door and leaned on it, sighing to himself, “If only I wasn't bitten...”

9

Sunggyu held up a hand, indicating Sungjong to stop as he peeked through the corridor, finding two zombies slowly walking and growling.

“Two of them,” he whispered. “One on the left, the other on the right.”

“I'll take the left,” Sungjong said.

Sunggyu nodded. “On three.”

“One, two, three.” The two of them rushed out as quietly as possible, swinging their Claymores at their targeted zombies, resulting blood everywhere.

“Where do you think Sungyeol and Woohyun hyung would be?” Sungjong huffed, pulling out his Claymore attached to the zombie's brain.

“I don't know, they could be anywhere. They ran down the stairs during the separation. We're in floor 3, they could either have come up here or still at floor 2,” Sunggyu answered.

“I'd say we move down to floor 2. They're both smart enough to know not to come out at night, since its hard to see. So they'll probably start moving now like us.”

“True. Floor 2 it is,” Sunggyu agreed.

“But what if they already made it up here?”

Sunggyu sighed. “I'm taking chances that they're still downstairs.”

“Alright, let's go.”

Letting Sungjong take the lead, Sunggyu closed his eyes for a brief moment, mumbling to himself. “Woohyun, I'm still on the 3rd floor, don't go anywhere.”

9

Woohyun leaned on the wall with his back, thinking carefully. He put himself in Sunggyu's shoes, wondering.

“If I were Sunggyu, I would be smart enough to rest for the night since Sungjong is injured...”

He speculated that Sunggyu and Sungjong might still be on the third floor but was tentative about it. He let out a frustrated groan and mumbled, “Sunggyu, talk to me telepathically!”

Right at that moment, he concluded going to the 3rd floor. He gripped his Claymore tightly and walked silently along the corridor, straining to hear every sound possible. Beads of sweat trickled down his face with every step he took, he was scared. He hoped that he wouldn't have to fight any zombies on his way to the staircase.

After for what seemed like years, low groans became audible. He sighed mentally, cursing his own luck. Peeping at the corner of the wall, he saw at least 5 to 7 zombies roaming around. The worse thing was that the entrance to the staircase was just after the herd of zombies, right at the other end. He would have to kill all of them to get there, but how can he do it alone?

Left without a choice, he prayed. “Just help me get through for this once.” And with his heart pumping in his throat, he charged at them.

9

 

Sunggyu and Sungjong walked slowly and quietly, towards the direction of the stairs. They were lucky to not have encountered zombies on their way. They made it to the stairs and walked down a flight, entering floor 2.

“Stop,” Sunggyu said quietly upon closing the door leading to floor 2.

“How many?” Sungjong asked.

Sunggyu shrugged, “Five to seven I'll bet.”

Sungjong sighed, “I don't think we can kill them all without being pounced on. If we had an extra member-”

There was a sudden yell that startled the both of them. Sunggyu opened the door again, finding a silhouette dodging and slaying the zombies. It was familiar... it was Woohyun!

“It's Woohyun!” Sunggyu exclaimed and rushed out to help. Sungjong followed suit.

“Woohyun! Look out!” Sunggyu yelled as he saw a zombie coming from behind the latter. “DUCK!”

Reacting immediately, Woohyun ducked while Sunggyu swung his Claymore right at the zombie, penetrating it right to the chest.

“Sunggyu!” Sungjong yelled as another zombie tried to ambush behind Sunggyu.

“Gyu, duck!” Woohyun shouted as he threw his Claymore towards the zombie and successfully impaled its head. “Catch it!” He shouted as he threw one of the kitchen knife to Sunggyu. Unfortunately, Woohyun threw it so hard that it zipped past Sunggyu and landed away from him.

“Get it, hyung!” Sungjong shouted as he sliced off the head of one zombie. Sunggyu ran and slid on the ground with his and grabbed the knife.

“Damnit,” Woohyun grunted as a zombie pounced on him, pinning him to the floor. He restrained the zombie from getting anywhere closer with his arm and stabbed it at the temple with his knife. Blood oozed and dripped on his face. He shoved the dead zombie away and helped the rest to finish off the last three, panting and huffing when the zombies were all dead.

 

“Hyung,” Woohyun got up to his feet and ran to Sunggyu, crushing the elder in a hug.

Sunggyu was relieved to see Woohyun alive. Part of him wanted to hug him back, but the other prideful half of him halted. “What's with your outfit? Cardboard boxes?”

“It was Sungyeol's idea. He said it will minimize the chances of getting bitten.”

Sunggyu let out a snort. “Fashion terrorist much?”

Woohyun scowled. “It's supposed to be a protection, not a fashion.”

“Speaking of Sungyeol hyung, where's he?” Sungjong interrupted, scanning around the area.

“He's too injured to move, so I left him at one of the apartment upstairs,” Woohyun answered.

“Let's get him and get out of here,” Sunggyu said and walked towards the stairs leading to floor 3. “Come on.”

 

 

 

 

 

The three of them gasped in shock as they saw the door of the apartment Sungyeol was in wide opened.

Sungyeol,” Woohyun called and ran inside, followed by the other two. “Sungyeol-ah!”

Sungyeol-hyung!” Sungjong called as well. The three went around the place, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, living room...but there was absolutely no sign of Sungyeol. Tears formed in Woohyun's eyes as he was panicking.

He-he was here,” Woohyun trembled. “Where di-did he go?”

Sunggyu grabbed his shoulders softly and looked down to the ground. Sungjong couldn't help but clamped a hand over his mouth as he stiffled a sob.

No, I told him to stay, w-why?” Tears rolled down Woohyun's cheeks. “W-Where, w-why? We have to find him, he must be here somewhere!” Without a signal, Woohyun ran out the room.

No! Woohyun!” Sunggyu shouted and chased him, followed by Sungjong.

Sungjong was faster than Sunggyu so he leaped and crashed into Woohyun, stopping him from going further.

Hyung, we can't! He should be alive somewhere since there was no signs of break ins. We have to leave this place or else we're as good as dead,” Sungjong and Woohyun wrestled slightly on the ground.

But Sungyeol-” Woohyun protested.

We have to leave first, Sungyeol should be alright, we can't stay here any longer,” Sunggyu said, squeezing Woohyun's shoulders.

Don't run anymore,” Sungjong said as he slowly released the older.

We really have to go,” Sunggyu help to lift him up.

It was true. Neither of them could make it alive for another night. They had to leave as soon as possible since their lives were at stake.

Woohyun wiped his eyes and relented. “Okay,” he swallowed. “We're leaving.”


Authornim: *sobs* Omg Sungyeol.... I myself have no idea where he went /gets stoned/ Is he dead or still alive? *sighs* Sungyeol-ahhhh, what have I done??? T^T

Kekeke, Gyu didn't return the hug to Woohyun, how mean...that prideful old hamster