Separation III

The In-Between (Hiatus)

Sungjong sat on the floor, dazed. He wondered where Sungyeol might have gone to. It was stupid for him to leave with his critically wounded leg. But the weird thing was that there were no signs of forced break-ins anywhere. Was Sungyeol really that stupid to leave voluntarily? He sighed in frustration and ruffled his hair.

The three of them were still in the apartment room, tapingup themselves with the leftover cardvoards for protection (at least it's better than nothing). Sungjong was already done, but he was waiting for the oldest in the group to finish taping up himself. Woohyun on the other hand was sitting next to Sungjong, back leaning against the wall, twirling the kitchen knife in his grasp whilst lost in thought. He was relieved to see both Sungjong and Sunggyu were alive, but the sudden disappreance of Sungyeol rendered him in remorse.

Everything seemed so surreal and genuine at the same time. Just where in the world are they? Moments later, Sunggyu sauntered towards the two younger ones who are immersed in their thoughts.

“Guys,” he murmured. “We at least need a brief plan to get out safely.”

Sungjong snapped back to reality. “Uh yeah... what are we supposed to do?”

Sunggyu walked towards the window and looked outside. “There aren't many zombies outside so it shouldn't be a problem. Many of them chased us into this building so the majority must be here. What do you think, Woohyun?”

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu with a solemn expression, but racked his head for ideas anyway. He didn't want his emotions to take control and loose his sanity here since it wouldn't be much of a help. He sighed. “For all I know, we gotta be as quiet as possible. But how are we gonna even kill those things when we have to risk ourselves and go near them? If only we had a gun or something...”

Sungjong jerked his head up suddenly and Sunggyu flinched. “What's wrong?”

“Gun...” the younger mumbled and got up to his feet, walking into the kitchen, leaving both his hyungs in confusion. Minutes passed and Sungjong returned with something in his hands.

“I bet this will work,” he raised it up for his hyungs to have a better look. Sunggyu couldn’t help but expose his amused grin, and Woohyun suddenly felt like there still was hope. What Sungjong was holding, is a nail gun.

“So,” Woohyun got up to his feet, finally etching a smirk across his face. “Who's good at aiming?”

Sungjong smiled and placed down the nail gun and walked to the wall, sticking a piece of green duct tape on it. “Who shoots the tape gets the gun.”

 

 

 

 

In the end, Sungjong was the one the obtain the gun for his aim was better than his hyungs. Sunggyu and Woohyun were both amazed at the fragile boy, and they thought maybe he has hidden talents after all.

“Okay...”Sunggyu rubbed his forehead, thinking of a plan. “The only way to get out is through the staircase that we were just now. So we go as quiet as possible, and only attack when forced to, okay?”

“Got it,” the other two chorused.

“How many rounds you got?” Sunggyu asked Sungjong.

“A full box of nails,” Sungjong answered and gave Woohyun his Claymore.

“Man this is no joke,” Woohyun said as he lifted both Claymores. “It's heavy...”

“Alright, let's go,” Sunggyu said and all of them walked out the door in his lead.

9

Walking slowly along the corridor, they made it to the staircase. Sunggyu pushed open the door and resulted a squeak. Both Woohyun and Sungjong cringed at the sound and the three of them stopped moving, straining to hear any threatening sounds.

“It's fine,” Woohyun whispered. “Let's go.”

Sunggyu gave a brief nod and walked to the staircase. Step by step, the carefully leaped over the zombies' corpses they slaughtered just now. The whole place was thick and humid with the smell of blood and rot. Sungjong grimaced as the smell wafted through his nostrils. Sunggyu hoped that they would easily get out this building without engaging in an attack with the zombies. They haven't got much strength and energy left, and they were hungry. But just as they reached the ground floor, groans and moans became audible. The three of them groaned inwardly, there must be quite a number of them just opposite of the door. Sunggyu pushed it open a bit to get a quick peek but was taken aback when one of the zombie's face suddenly appeared. He flinched and took a few steps backwards, his head knocking into Woohyun's face.

“Ow,” Woohyun hissed and rubbed his nose.

“Sorry, sorry,” Sunggyu apologized.

“Shhh,” Sungjong placed a finger on his lips. “How many are there?”

Sunggyu shook his head and walked further away from the door. “A dozen at least. More than before.”

Sungjong sighed. “What are we gonna do?”

Just then, Woohyun interrupted. “I have an idea.”

“And that is?” Sunggyu had a brow raised.

“Simply open the door a bit for Sungjong to get a good view. He can just take them down one by one with the nail gun without a sound.”

Both of them nodded in agreement. The idea sounds good.

“Alright,” Sungjong said and moved towards the door.

“There's one just opposite this door, I'll open a bit and you shoot it straight away,” Sunggyu said and placed a hand on the door. Woohyun took a few steps back, giving them enough room.

“Ready?” Sunggyu looked at Sungjong who just nodded.

“You bet.”

Sunggyu pushed the door, slightly ajar. Sungjong immediately shot the zombie right at the head and it fell with a soft thump onto the ground. Sungjong started to shoot at the rest, missing his targets occasionally. “There's a few left, but they're too far.”

“It's okay,” Woohyun patted Sungjong's shoulder. “Sunggyu and I will handle the rest.”

The two older males walked out swiftly and softly, heaving their Claymores and slaying right the the neck of the remaining zombies, separating their head from the body.

“Come on,” Woohyun gestured for Sungjong to come out from hiding. There was another dozen right at the big entrance of this building and the three of them groaned once more.

“We're almost there, keep the spirit up,” Sunggyu encouraged.

 

 

 

 

 

Sungjong fired rapidly, hitting the zombies head on and blood splattered everywhere. Sunggyu and Woohyun both defended themselves with their Claymores. But the more the three of them attacked, the more the zombies are appearing.

“Where the hell are they coming from?” Woohyun shouted as he dodged the incoming zombies aiming for his flesh.

“I don't know,” Sunggyu yelled back and crashed onto the ground when two zombies pounced on him. Fortunately, Sungjong's reflexes were fast enough, shooting the zombies that almost bit Sunggyu to death.

“We gotta get out,” Sungjong said. “Woohyun hyung, go open the door. Sunggyu hyung and I will cover you!”

“Got it,” Woohyun responded and reached for the entrance of the apartment, pulling it open. “It's open, let's go!”

Sunggyu and Sungjong ran without looking back, only focusing on Woohyun who was taking the lead in front. Right at the moment they got out of the apartment, the heavily polluted air literally crushed their lungs. It was really hard to breathe due to all the debris and they suddenly felt like staying back in the apartment. But of course, it will never happen since zombies are appearing magically in every direction. Their sickening groans were getting closer and closer to the three guys running for their lives.

“Just keep running!” Sunggyu shouted. Sungjong looked back occasionally to fire his nail gun at the zombies. Another few more rounds of firing, he was out.

“Damnit, I'm out,” the younger cursed and hurled the gun, hitting one of the zombies in the face.

“Just run, as fast as you can!” Woohyun panted. “Don't look back!”
True to his words, they ran. But of course their muscles were starting to hurt, and their stamina was decreasing. With every step, beads of perspiration threaded down their faces. Their oxygen was depleting, and the polluted atmosphere worsened everything. Then again, Woohyun saw two pathways up ahead.

“Left or right guys?” He turned over his shoulders and asked.

“Either one!” Sungjong yelled back. “We'll be dead if we don't make it to another place anyway.”

“Sunggyu hyung?” Woohyun turned his gaze towards Sunggyu.

“Any one!”

Shaking his head, Woohyun decided to go left for this time. “We're going left!”

And then Woohyun noticed something. He stopped abruptly and started to panic. “Hey guys?”

“What the hell you stopping for? Run!” Sunggyu shouted and looked behind him, seeing a massive wave of zombies walking to them in a moderate speed.

Both Sunggyu and Sungjong reached to where Woohyun was standing, finally in realization.

“We're...on a cliff,” Woohyun stuttered. Sunggyu had his hands in his hair, pulling it in frustration as he cussed.

“Why isn't the place changing?” Sungjong asked and looked over the cliff. It was at least a 1500 meter drop, and it's definitely a death sentence for a human being. “We can't jump, it's too high.”

Woohyun looked behind his back once again and saw the zombies gradually coming closer. He then looked at the cliff and sighed.

Sungjong was trembling, he had to make a choice. Either jump or get his flesh ripped to pieces and he dies either way.

He looked at the two of his hyungs, fear etched on his face. “It was great meeting you guys. Thanks for watching out for me.”

Woohyun's lips quivered. “Thanks for watching my back too.”

Sunggyu looked at them for one last time. “Thanks...for helping me as well.”

“Then I guess it's goodbye for now,” Sungjong forced a smiled. “See you guys in the next life.”

The two older males nodded and forced back a smile. With that, they jumped off the cliff, screaming in terror.

Moments later, everything was black.

 

 

 


Authornim: *Gets bricked but still laughs evilly* How was that guys? Muahahahah, I killed them allll *shot* Anyways, the important thing I want to say isssssssss WATCH THE TRAILER OMFGGG! It was amazingly done by Nubci4. It's justttt amazingggg~ And yeah, to those who are wondering if this is the end, then NO~ You are wrong~~~ kekeke Keep anticipating yeahhh? I'll be back soon~ Love you guysss *scoots over and starts huggin you subbies like crazy* Keep dropping comments to keep me motivatedddd T^T Just say whatever you want, I don't minddd~ I read every one of your comments and eventhough sometimes I don't reply (becoz idk how to and im noob at that xP) I still love them all~ Okay, I shall not rant and leave now. Be back soon~ muacksss *gets slapped again*