Safe Haven

The In-Between (Hiatus)

“No...” Hoya gasped. “No!!” Tears filled his eyes and threatened to fall, he didn't hold back.

“I'm...” Woohyun placed a hand on his shoulder. “sorry for your-”

“Don't touch me!” Hoya screamed, shoving Woohyun away with full force. “Stay away from me!”

Woohyun was taken aback for a moment, he hasn't seen this side of Hoya since the zombie infested place. The said one got up to his feet, glaring at Woohyun with anger and hatred in his eyes. “It's all your fault. It's all your bloody fault!!”

“Hey,” Sunggyu snapped. “It's not his fau-” the words stopped when Sunggyu felt Woohyun holding his elbow with a solemn face and shook his head. Sunggyu sighed softly and Hoya walked away without a word. Sungyeol could only stare at them, putting pressure on his bleeding shoulder.

“We gotta get Sungyeol and Sungjong to a safe place, come on,” Woohyun said and carried Sungjong up. Sunggyu sighed yet again, knowing it would be hard to patch things up between Hoya and Woohyun. It really wasn't Woohyun's fault, Dongwoo sacrificed himself. Even though he didn't know Dongwoo well considering that they only met for merely and hour and things just happened so fast, an ache swelled up in his heart, and he found it hard to breathe for a sudden....

 

9

 

“T-this is-” the three of them gasped. The place changed once again. They braced themselves for whatever worse things to come but were dumbfounded to land in a place called 'Safe Haven'.

The place was no different from the zombie-infested place. High rises and skyscrapers were everywhere, except that the air was clean. Everything was in a normal state, no cracked roads, no destroyed buildings. This place gave them a sense of security, but they refused to let their guards down just yet.

“I'll take a quick tour in that house, wait for me out here,” Sunggyu said when he saw a small house right up front.

“Be careful,” Woohyun said as he placed Sungjong down on the ground.

“My...god,” Sungyeol murmured.

“What is it?” Woohyun looked around, alarmed.

“My wound...” Sungyeol said and tore out the torn fabric on his shoulder where he was bitten. “It's healed.”

Woohyun approached him for a closer look. All there's left now was a patch of dried blood and the wound had healed to form a scar. “Sungjong will be fine too, right?”

They both looked at Sungjong and were relieved that he had stopped bleeding. He wasn't as pale as before, but he still looked nowhere near okay. Woohyun checked for his pulse. It was beating, but slow.

“Do you think Hoya ended here?” Sungyeol asked.

Fiddling with his thumb, Woohyun shrugged. “Maybe...I don't know...he just left without a word...”

“Don't let it get to you,” Sungyeol crouched beside him. “It's not your fault.”

Woohyun didn't reply, he doesn't know what to say.

 

 

 

 

Sunggyu searched the whole house. The living room and kitchen was clear. All that's left is the bedroom floor. He took a knife from the kitchen and ascended the stairs slowly, careful to avoid the middle so it doesn't creak. Upon reaching the top, he saw a big room and a bathroom. That was basically it. The bathroom was big, so was the bedroom. Concluding that it was safe, he decided to head down and call the rest. Just then, he felt a presence behind him. With a quick motion, he turned and pointed his blade, only to find a stranger pointing a scythe right at his neck. The scythe was no ordinary one farmers used, it was so sharp that it gleamed in the tiniest ray of light. A long chain held the scythe on the stranger's arm in place, providing support.

“Drop it,” he said in a low and dangerous voice. His stare was enough to terrify Sunggyu, and the latter did as told. “Hands behind your head, now.”

Slowly, Sunggyu placed both his hands behind his head. “Who are you?”

A snort came from the stranger. “That's what I'm supposed to be asking you. Where did you come from?”

“I don't know,” Sunggyu said.

“Answer the damn question before I slice your neck off and send you into the infinite abyss,” the stranger snarled. “What was the last place you were in?”

Shocked and scared, Sunggyu gulped. “A hospital, with creatures.”

“Are you alone?”

“No, my friends are outside, waiting.”

The stranger lowered his weapon slowly. “Got a name?”

“Kim Sunggyu.”

“How many friends you got?”

“Three, one of them is unconscious,” Sunggyu answered. It felt as it was an interrogation, a detective questioning a suspect. “We need shelter, we don't know what's going on. We just need a place to stay.”

“You don't know what's going on?” the stranger asked with a raised brow.

Sunggyu shook his head. “Do you?”

He gave Sunggyu a hesitant look, debating whether to answer. “Sorry if I have to do this.”

“Do what-” before Sunggyu could ask further, the stranger scratched Sunggyu's arm with his scythe. Sunggyu grimaced in pain and almost wanted to lunge at the stranger but stopped by the dangerous scythe. “Just to confirm that you ain't some monster in human disguise. I almost got myself killed by some mad girl before. It's just a flesh wound.”

“Girl?” Somehow, it rang a bell. “The girl at the warehouse place?” Sunggyu asked.

The stranger nodded. “It seems that what I though was correct.”

“What was?”

“More of us.”

“What do you mean?”

“Weren't there supplies enough for at least seven people at the warehouse?”

Just then, realization dawned on Sunggyu. Seven of them...him, Woohyun, Sungyeol, Sungjong, Hoya and Dongwoo. Last but not least, this stranger.

“We're all here...” Sunggyu mumbled.

“Not all, just five of us for now. You, me, and your three friends,” the stranger said.

“No, there's another two. One of them...died. The other ran off without waiting for us, he might be here,” Sunggyu choked on his words as the scene of Hoya screaming in pain at the loss of Dongwoo entered his mind.

“Go get your friends, you guys have a lot to learn,” the stranger gestured for Sunggyu to go.

“Learn?”

“I'll explain later.”

Sunggyu got up to his feet and started to head down the stairs. Just then, he turned towards the stranger. “You got a name too?”

With a smirk, he replied. “Call me L.”

 

 


Authornim: geheeeheee The grand appearance of L after 9 chapters! Woots, enjoy peeps. And thanks to all the new subbies. Love you all <3