Safe Haven III

The In-Between (Hiatus)

L wasn't sure if it was a good idea to cooperate with the four new guys who stumbled at his doorstep. But he knew that no one could make it out alive alone without teamwork. The past stages almost killed him as there wasn't anyone to watch his back. Moreover, after the incident with the girl right back at the warehouse, he couldn't trust anyone or anything anymore. That moment when he stabbed her right at the neck, it made him collapse into a mental disorder for some time and it was hard to put his mind back together.

The rest of the places did him no good, they only made him more cruel and brutal. As soon as he ended in this 'Safe Haven', he didn't know how much time has pass. Two weeks? Maybe three? Deep down inside he feared for what lies ahead. He had seen enough, heard enough and killed enough. He made no progress in exploring further because his guts warned him not to. But the moment Sunggyu said they should continue their journey instead of being stuck here, he was dumbstruck with both awe and disbelief. It seemed that this whole journey hasn't broken Sunggyu, but made him stronger. He still contemplated if he should really follow them, considering that they weren't any much strong. Moving in a group could be more risky than being alone but the downside is you have no one to watch your back.

L still pondered for a long time, then decided to risk his life. It was no point staying here till who knows when, it was better to try and leave this insane place. In the end, he decided to show them the weapons stashed in the storeroom he found when he first got here.

“What the fudge,” Sungyeol gaped at the uncountable weapons in front of him. Be it long ranged or short, L had everything. “This is so cool.”

“No ,” Woohyun grinned.

“I hope you fools take this matter seriously,” L shot them a cold glare.

“Seriously, what's the matter with you?” Sungyeol retorted. “Is it so wrong to be amazed at something?”

“Keep that immaturity up and you'll bound to be killed,” L walked off.

“Hey!” Sungyeol fumed and grabbed L by the shirt. “You better take that back before I swipe the sick attitude from your face.”

“Sungyeol, would you stop it?” Woohyun and Sunggyu tried to pry him away from L. But before they could do it, L gave Sungyeol a hard blow to the stomach and socked his jaw with his fist, leaving Sungyeol gasping for air and blood to trickle from his nose.

“Do. Not. Touch. Me.” L emphasized every word that caused Sungyeol's spine to shiver. “I swear I will snap your bloody neck if you do it again.” With that, he walked upstairs to his room and slammed the door.

Sunggyu sighed and looked at Sungyeol. “You really need to get a grip on yourself.”

“Whatever,” the latter muttered and stomped off.

“How will we ever get cooperation from L now?” Woohyun shook his head.

“I don't know, he's as cold as a block of ice and Sungyeol only made it worse. It wasn't easy for L to make it until here alone as well, imagine the things he had to go through all alone, let's hope that everything will be better tomorrow morning. We don't really know L well so I think we should leave him be for the moment.”

“Guess you're right, we should get some rest,” Woohyun nodded. “Will Sungjong be alright though? He hasn't woke up from his sleep.”

Sunggyu sighed and massaged his temples. “Let's hope he is.”

 

Eventually, they both had to share a room considering they decided not to bug L and Sungyeol has already claimed the sofa next to Sungjong. All that's left was the room they had a short 'moment' in.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” Woohyun scrunched his brows to see Sunggyu getting ready to lie on the floor.

“I'm going to sleep, can't you tell?”

“This bed is big enough for two just so you know, it's not like I'm gonna take up all the space,” Woohyun stated.

“Wow, sounds like you're inviting me to bed,” Sunggyu replied sarcastically and made Woohyun flush.

“Don't be stupid, I'm just being nice. Forget I ever offered you,” Woohyun rolled his eyes and turned to another side on the bed, his back facing Sunggyu. There wasn't a response from him but he felt the bed dip at the weight of Sunggyu. A grin crept up onto his lips. “Goodnight hyung.”

“Whatever,” the older replied.

Woohyun knew Sunggyu wasn't the expressive kind of guy so he didn't took it to heart. He found his personality quite alluring....

 

9

 

The next morning came like a rocket. It felt like night had passed really fast. Sunggyu opened his eyes, only to be greeted by Woohyun's face and inch away from his. Their noses touched slightly. He could hear the younger's soft breathing and see his chest rising up and down peacefully. Sunggyu flushed at the close proximity between them then realized one of the latter's arm is draped over his neck. Without wanting to wake him and be in an awkward situation, Sunggyu slowly lifted Woohyun's arm and squirm his way out of his embrace. Just then, the door flung open and Sungyeol exclaimed.

“Sungjong's awake!”

The surprise rendered Sunggyu to tumble down from the bed, waking Woohyun as well.

“Bloody hell,” Sunggyu muttered and got up to his feet. Woohyun groaned and stirred from his sleep. The three of them made their way downstairs. Sungyeol saw them both huddling together in the same bed and wondered what had they done last night.... but the truth is, they didn't do anything.

 

“Sungjong, are you alright?” Woohyun sat beside the younger.

“What happened to me? Where are we? Are we dead?” Sungjong rubbed his eyes.

“You're very much alive,” Sunggyu folded his arms across his chest.

“How long was I out?”

“A couple of days,” Sungyeol offered to answer. Woohyun explained everything to Sungjong and died a little when he mentioned about Dongwoo and Hoya. The guilt was still there no matter how hard he tried to convince himself that it wasn't his fault. Some things are hard to get rid off.

Sunggyu showed Sungjong the book L mentioned. “Are you ready for this?”

Sungjong gathered his thoughts and nodded hesitantly. If he wasn't ready for this, he wouldn't make it out alive. He wanted to get his life back, and everything was worth risking for.

As L came down from his room, Sungjong stood up and introduced himself. He knew from Woohyun that it was L who let them stay, and was grateful.

“My name is Lee Sungjong, thank you for-”

“Save it.” L deliberately cut him off. He certainly wasn't over yesterday's incident with Sungyeol. “Let's get moving.”

Sungjong's eyes searched Woohyun's for help. “It's normal, he's like this. Just get used to it,” Woohyun said quietly.

“C'mon guys, pack up,” Sunggyu gave orders to which everyone obliged. He and Woohyun both locked eyes for a moment, but Sunggyu was the first to turn away.

 

9

 

The five of them walked along the road, each with a bag and weapon. They brought as much as they could, but not till the extend that it would slow them down. For once they all enjoyed the breeze and grass along the streets. This world felt very much alive, but they were the only ones here. Sunggyu wondered where Hoya is right now and hoped for the best for him. If their paths ever cross, he knew he would take the chance to kill Woohyun. Sunggyu saw it in his eyes when he left. It was filled with nothing but pure hatred. But if this was really going to happen, Sunggyu would kill Hoya instead if he ever lays a hand on Woohyun. Like it or not, Sunggyu had placed Woohyun as his priority, and he doesn't know why or how.

“Left or right this time?” Sungyeol's voice brought Sunggyu's mind back in the present.

“What'd you say, L?” Woohyun asked, hoping to be nice.

“Either way, we're gonna face the same monsters anyway.”

So much for encouragement....

 

Without a word, they moved towards the left path. As usual, the place changed drastically. But the place that they ended up now was something no one had expected. It was night time, and the atmosphere was different from the place they had been. It was intensely menacing and eerie. They couldn't see very clearly ahead of them due to a layer of fog.

A low and soft laughter filled the air but the five of them heard it clearly. It was a half crooked and half distorted laugh. It was so eerie that it even made L who was as cold as ice stiffen at the sound, goosebumps prickling all over his skin.

Voices in weird distorted languages filled the air. The five of them couldn't decipher what it really was. Just then, lights of all colours flashed wildly with no warning, blinding them all for an instant. A loud voice crackled and thundered.

“Welcome, to your worst nightmare.”

 

 

 

 


Authornim: I finally made it out alive from exams. Holidays have officially started and I will update more often. Soryy for the long wait and I hope you guys enjoy this chap. Thanks for sticking by, I love you all! <3 Where do you guys think they end up this time? Comment your thoughts, I would love to hear them.