Safe Haven II

The In-Between (Hiatus)

Hoya walked through the door and the place changed from white to a mixture of gold, brown, red, orange and yellow. It was autumn. He didn't know how or what was going on, but felt confused and fascinated at the same time. Dried leaves crunched at every step he took, he wondered what kind of place this is. For some time he walked, not knowing where he would end up. His gut told him to keep going straight, as if it was just like taking a stroll in a park. Trees were everywhere, dried up and almost bare. At that precise moment, he felt a presence behind him. He turned, only to find a girl charging at him with an emotionless expression, a knife in her hand.

“Look out!”

At the spur of the moment, someone-no-a guy smashed into the girl with his whole body, saving him from the sudden ambush. He was dumbfounded, but he rushed to help. He knew something was wrong, especially the girl.

“Are you okay?” he extended an arm to the guy. Without hesitating, the latter took it.

“Yeah, she almost got you, I don't know why but it looked dangerous and-” the guy huffed and massaged his right shoulder. He found the guy weird, talking like a bullet train. It sounded like an alien language but he was relieved that he could understand, at least.

“The knife!” he exclaimed and rushed to pick it up. Just then, the girl appeared from nowhere and looked at both of them dangerously.

The guy eyed him, panicking at what should he do. “We gotta run,” he said. And on the count of three, they did. But the girl outran them instead. She crashed into the guy and starting treating him like a punching bag. Hoya couldn't stand there and watch, so he immediately shoved her away again and they wrestled on the ground. He did not understand how a girl that is slightly smaller than him could posses such strength as he could literally feel his jaw breaking at every punch. There was a shout, and then there was silence. She stopped moving, a red patch slowly forming at the chest of her white gown. Hoya shoved her aside and stared in horror- the guy killed her, and saved him. With trembling hands, the guy fell to the floor in shock. “I-I killed her.”

Without even sparing a second, he supported the guy by the arm. “We gotta get outta here.”

 

 

 

 

They rammed into a warehouse they saw, not even bothering to give it a second thought. Crates piled up neatly in front of them but they decided to catch their breaths before investigating.

“I really killed her...” the guy's voice shook; his hands were trembling.

“There was no choice,” Hoya comforted him. “I would be dead if you didn't, thank you.” He reached a hand, willing for a handshake. The latter took it and gave it a firm squeeze.

“I'm Dongwoo, Jang Dongwoo, that's all I can remember when I woke up though,” the guy offered a sheepish smile. Now that Hoya had thought of it, he only remembered his name too, nothing else, as if his memories were stolen. “You are?”

“H-hoya, just...” he hesitated for a second. “...Hoya.”

For a moment they locked eyes, and Hoya realized something: Dongwoo saved his life, a stranger whom he had just met, a stranger that felt familiar but distant at the same time. And he vowed to himself that he would be there to protect him at all cost.

 

 

 

 

Dongwoo fell. Time seemed to slow down. Hoya watched and his eyes widen in horror, The Thing was going to get his hyung. He witnessed Woohyun seeing Dongwoo fall to the ground, but did not even turn to give him a hand. Hoya's legs ran by themselves, without him to command. He wasn't quick enough as The Thing grabbed Dongwoo's legs. His last chance was to hold on to his hand like grim death. But Dongwoo forcefully pried his hands away, and Hoya watched him being dragged by it, and vanished after a corner....

“No!” Hoya screamed and jolted awake. Beads of cold sweat trickled down his forehead as the scene of Dongwoo being dragged replayed in his mind. He failed, he failed to protect him. A mixture of rage, grief and pain stirred in his heart. Woohyun, Nam Woohyun. He let Dongwoo fall, if he had turned to help him up, there was a chance for Dongwoo's life to be saved. But he didn't. He watched him fall as he saved his own . Hoya and Dongwoo both helped him and his wounded friends, but Woohyun's selfishness costed Dongwoo's life.

Hoya gripped the bedsheets with hands trembling in wrath. “Nam Woohyun,” he rasped. “I'm gonna kill you.”

 

9

 

Dusk arrived, the day was coming to an end.

Woohyun wondered how long has it been for him to at least 'enjoy' taking a warm bath. He raised his face towards the shower head, feeling the prickle of water sprays on his face. His body ached everywhere after all the commotion, but was thankful that there weren't major wounds like Sunggyu and the rest. He wondered what was going on, meeting this stranger who claimed himself as L. It was a strange name indeed. He also wondered what had happened to Hoya, who stalked off suddenly. Guilt pumped in his heart at the sight of Dongwoo getting dragged away. No matter how many times the rest said that it wasn't his fault, he still felt responsible for his death. With a remorseful sigh, he turned of the shower head.

“W-woohyun?” Sunggyu was startled as Woohyun came out of the bathroom. He was looking for a cloth to clean the wound on his arm that L had given him earlier, he didn't expect Woohyun to come out of the bathroom, more or less...half . The said one only had a towel wrapped around his waist, and his hair was dripping wet with water. Sunggyu was enchanted by the younger, he was somehow...beautiful. “I didn't know you were in here.” He felt himself flush a bit.

“Your arm,” Woohyun let out a little gasp seeing blood staining his sleeves. “I'll get you a towel, please wait for a moment.”

Woohyun opened the drawers and closets within his reach in the room, finding fresh clothes and cloths. He thought he might have to put on his filthy clothes before, but now considering clothes were available, he was relieved. Just as he was about to take off the towel, Sunggyu let out an abrupt cough.

“I'll head out first,” he said, obviously flustered and embarrassed.

Woohyun looked at him with a raised brow. “I don't really mind though, we're guys anyway.”

“I-I'm aware of that,” he replied and walked out of the room. “But I'd prefer to wait outside.” Closing the door, Sunggyu exhaled in relief. That was so wrong....

Woohyun looked at the closed door with an amused smile crawling up his face and hurriedly put on the fresh pair of clothes. “I'm done, hyung. You can come in now.” The door opened slowly, and Sunggyu made his way in. Woohyun took a clean towel and rinsed it in water.

“Sit on the bed,” he said to the elder. Sunggyu sat, folding up his sleeve. He was dumbfounded when Woohyun knelt in front of him and gently took his injured arm, wiping the bloodstains cautiously.

“I'll do it, you don't have to,” Sunggyu flushed, he wasn't used to this kind of stuff.

“Shush,” Woohyun said. “Just sit quietly.”

“Yah, don't order me around you idiot,” he snapped. It suddenly reminded him of the zombie-infested place, where Woohyun tended to his wounds before. He flushed a little when he reminisced Woohyun clasping his cheeks, threatening to kiss him if he wouldn't shut up.

“Just let me do it will you, hyung?” Woohyun looked up at him. Sunggyu wanted to turn away for a sudden when their gazes locked. He saw it in his eyes: his guilt.

Sunggyu reluctantly placed his free hand on Woohyun's shoulder, giving it a squeeze. “Woohyun-ah, it's not your fault.”

Woohyun sighed and finished cleaning the latter's arm. “I wish I were the one taken instead.”

Sunggyu had his jaws clenched and eyes closed. “Get your together Nam Woohyun.”

Taken aback, the younger didn't know how to respond. Sunggyu had limits to his tolerance, Woohyun knew that, but hasn't seen this side of him before since they met, it was a mixture of annoyance and...hurt.

“If you don't stop blaming yourself, I'll stake a bloody knife through your heart and hang myself after that,” he said. “Now scram, I want to take a bath.” Woohyun placed the bloodied cloth in Sunggyu's hands and left the room without a word.

“Tch,” Sunggyu scoffed at himself and pinched his nose bridge in frustration. What did he had to be so cold to people, especially when they are hurting?

 

 

 

 

“Are you really not telling me your real name?” Sungyeol huffed. For the nth time, he had been pestering L for his real name. The said one ignored him, polishing his scythe with a cloth. Sungjong laid on the sofa in the living room, his chest rising and falling steadily.

“Aww come on!” Sungyeol kept pestering. L paused at what he's doing, and finally opened his mouth.

“What's your friend's name?” he gestured to Sungjong.

“It's Lee Sungjong. Why?”

“Does he always asks questions like you?”

“Err...” Sungyeol thought for a moment. “I don't think so. Why?”

“Then I wished you were him instead,” L said without battling an eye. “I swear I'll knock you out myself if you don't stop pestering for my name.”

“Fine,” Sungyeol rolled his eyes. The silence only lasted for 3 seconds, and Sungyeol questioned again. “Do you have food?”

“Go tour the kitchen yourself,” L replied, annoyed to the brim. Just then, Woohyun descended from the stairs.

“Where's the other?” L asked and placed the scythe beside him.

“In the bathroom,” Woohyun answered. “Thanks for letting us stay.” L did not reply. “So...how long have you been here?”

“Is it really necessary?”

Damn, this L guy sure isn't that friendly. “I was just curious...” Woohyun said and approached sleeping Sungjong, wondering when would he ever wake up.

The smell of food wafted into Woohyun's nostril, making his stomach grumble. It seems that Sungyeol was helping himself in the kitchen. “Sungyeol, what are you making?”

“Nothing much, just beans, eggs and some bacon,” Sungyeol shrugged.

“Where did you even get all these?” Woohyun gestured at the ingredients.

“From the fridge, where else? I made enough for all of us.”

 

After a not-so-bad meal, all of them huddled around the living room, eyes on L. He had a book in his grasp, just a simple book, extremely thin and clean.

“What is that?” Sungyeol asked, as usual.

“A book, you dumb or something?” L gave him a what-the-heck stare.

“So, you have any clues where we're at?” Sunggyu piped up.

“The In-Between,” he answered briefly.

“And what is that?” Sungyeol questioned.

“The place between life and death.” The three of them were dazed.

“Does it mean we're...dead?” Woohyun asked.

“Yes and no. We're just in between. Half of us is dead, the other half is not.”

“What do you mean by that? What about the place? It keeps changing. And why are there monsters? Are we in some of a mad test or something?” Sungyeol blabbered.

“We are in a supernatural place. Don't ask me how or why we got here. Just note that if we die here, we're dead for real. If we make it out of this hellhole, we might reconnect to our bodies and wake up in the real world.”

“How are we supposed to know that you're telling the truth?” Sunggyu scoffed. “And why do our wounds heal every time we enter someplace new?”

“See it for yourself,” L said and tossed Sunggyu the book in his grasp.

It wasn't really a book to be honest, there's only a single page within the covers. “What does it say?” Woohyun asked. Sunggyu cleared his throat and read out loud:

 

“The In-Between, a place between life and death. In which you die, you will cease to exist. In which you survive, you make it out alive. You will not remember anything but your name, and only your name shall you know. Wounds will heal, necessities will be provided but scarce. A simple concept to bear in mind: Kill or be killed. Fight or flight. Live or die. Shall you lose the battle here, only Heaven and Hell will determine your fate. Fear everything that lies ahead, for it may be your last battle. In which your willpower is weak, in which you still reside in mankind's sinful nature, the outcome will be death.”

 

Silence filled the air when Sunggyu finished reading. All were deep in thoughts, except L, who was staring at them, waiting for a reaction. Out of the blue, Sunggyu closed the book with mild force. “So be it.”

 

 

 

 

 


Authornim: Im so sorryyyyy for the last chap that was so short. I figured I should make it up but extending this chapter a bit. Thanks for all your support guys! New subbies, I love youuuu <3 Comments make me happyyyyy, bear that in mind! I read every one of them! <3 <3 xoxo