Hospital IV

The In-Between (Hiatus)

“We can't possibly drag Sungjong around,” Woohyun scowled. “He's injured, and we have to fend for ourselves.”

“You dope, we can push the bed, that's what the rollers are for,” Sunggyu sighed nonchalantly.

“But what if it makes noises or squeaks?”

“Try pushing it now.”

Woohyun pushed the bed Sungjong was lying on, it was perfectly smooth.

“As expected from Sunggyu-hyung and his smart brain,” Sungyeol exclaimed.

“It's just logic,” he rolled his eyes.

“Come on, we gotta go. Pack up,” Hoya said. All of them reloaded their guns and made sure their weapons were still in good condition. But the unfortunate thing was, their ammunition was running low.

“Let's revise the plan again,” Sunggyu said. They all gathered back at the map laid neatly on the floor. “Memorize the routes we're gonna take, just in case whatever happens in between.”

“Make it fast, avoid all trouble if possible,” Hoya concluded. “Let's go.”

 

9

 

The five of them walked quickly along the hallways, with Woohyun and Dongwoo pushing Sungjong's bed. It was as if the creatures sensed that they were leaving, because a whole lot of whisperings, giggling and footsteps echoed again from all kinds of direction.

“ttttt,” Dongwoo looked behind him and found a few small creatures they fought earlier standing there. “Creepers are coming! Run!!!!”

Without sparing a millisecond, Woohyun and Dongwoo sped, pushing Sungjong as fast as they could.

“Duck!” Hoya yelled and bullets ricocheted towards the Creepers.

“Run guys! We ain't got that much ammunition!” Sunggyu said and ran, aiding Woohyun and Dongwoo, pushing Sungjong's bed. They ran as fast as their legs could go, but Hoya and Sungyeol looked over occasionally to fire at the Creepers.

“Make a right!” Dongwoo said as he saw the sign hung on the ceiling that said 'car park'. The rest followed suit, but then, The Thing just had to make its appearance.

“Oh hell,” Woohyun gasped and lifted his shotgun, firing right at The Thing. The shot went through its nail-stabbed chest, just enough to stun it for a few seconds. It swung its gigantic machete on impulse, separating Dongwoo and Woohyun from the rest.

“Dongwoo hyung!” Hoya exclaimed and fired multiple shots at The Thing to grab its attention. Sunggyu rushed to Sungjong's bed and pushed it to another direction, away from The Thing and the Creepers. “We gotta split up, just make it to the car park guys!” Sungyeol went with Sunggyu and Hoya continued firing at The Thing.

“Hoya, go!” Dongwoo yelled and ran to another direction with Woohyun. The Thing still insisted to follow them instead of countering Hoya for firing at it. The Creepers made everything worse by interrupting Hoya, and the said one had no choice but to run.

“Damn it!” Hoya cursed fired at the Creepers but failing most of them time since they were fast. One of them crawled up to the ceiling and landed on Sungyeol, tearing the flesh off his shoulders. Sungyeol screamed in pain as he wrestled with the Creeper on him. Sunggyu reacted almost immediately, leaving Sungjong for a moment and drove a blade into the Creeper on Sungyeol. Hoya continued firing at the rest as Sunggyu helped Sungyeol up.

“Yeol's hurt!” Sunggyu hollered.

“I'll hold him! Push Sungjong!” Hoya called back and supported Sungyeol. They kept running until Sunggyu saw the entrance to the car park. Hurriedly, he rattled the doorknob but it wouldn’t budge. As Woohyun predicted, their exit was blocked off.

“I'm out!” Hoya said and backed against Sunggyu as the remaining Creepers were approaching with smiles all over their distorted faces. He left Sungyeol to sit on the edge of Sungjong's bed and took out two daggers from the strap on his legs. Sunggyu shot as many Creepers as he could and ran out of bullets. Hoya dived for the remaining ones with his daggers, but got bit in the process.

“Hoya!” Sunggyu screamed and engaged with the rest, stabbing them wherever he could without stopping. Blood splattered everywhere, including Sunggyu himself.

“Are you okay?” he helped Hoya up.

“I'm fine, the exit,” Hoya groaned. “Where's Dongwoo and Woohyun?”

Right at that moment, loud yelling echoed. “THE THING'S STILL HERE! GET THE EXIT READY! WE'RE ALMOST THERE!”

It was Woohyun, Sunggyu was sure of it. Frantically looking around, he had an idea to smash open the exit.

“Hoya, Sungyeol! Lift Sungjong from the bed, I need it,” Sunggyu ordered. The two helped despite the pain and lifted Sungjong away from the bed. Sunggyu rammed the bed against the door as many times as he could with all his strength left. Finally, the door gave way. Sunggyu carried Sungjong out to the exit. Sungyeol made his way out but Hoya stayed, waiting for Woohyun and Dongwoo.

Seconds later, he saw Woohyun and Dongwoo running like hell towards him, with The Thing following from behind.

“HURRY!” Hoya screamed, praying hard that they will make it before The Thing chop both their heads.

Woohyun made it out and Dongwoo was a few seconds behind. Just then, he tripped on one of the Creeper's body and fell. Hoya's eyes widen in shock as The Thing was almost reaching Dongwoo. Following his instincts, Hoya was about to run to Dongwoo. But hell, one of the Creepers near Hoya that was presumed to be dead hurled itself at the said one, rendering them both to tumble and wrestle on the ground. Woohyun and Sunggyu stabbed the Creeper on Hoya and pulled him away from the entrance.

“No! Dongwoo's still in there!” Hoya yelled and shoved Sunggyu and Woohyun aside, scrambling onto his feet and running back into the entrance. He saw The Thing grab Dongwoo's leg, and he reached for his hand.

“No!!! Hyung!” Hoya grunted as he held Dongwoo's hand tightly. The Thing was far more stronger than him, and they were both dragged together. Sunggyu and Woohyun grabbed Hoya by the legs and struggled to pull them both back.

“Hyung! Don't let go,” Hoya yelled. “We're gonna get you out of this!”

“No! At this rate we're all gonna be killed!” Dongwoo said as he tried to pry his hands away from Hoya's grasp.

“HYUNG! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!” Hoya shrieked as he held onto his hand tighter.

“You're gonna get us all killed you dumb! Let me go!” Dongwoo shook his hand violently.

“PLEASE DON'T! PLEASE!” Hoya begged. “PLEASE!”

“I'm sorry, Hoya,” Dongwoo said and loosened his grip, letting The Thing drag him along.

“NOOO!!!!” Hoya wailed and shouted but was held back Sunggyu and Woohyun.

“We gotta go,” Woohyun said as he saw more Creepers appearing in a distance. “It's too late.” He and Sunggyu both pulled Hoya away from the entrance and the latter had no choice but to relent, he couldn't fight back, he had no strength to.

Watching his Dongwoo's silhouette disappearing into a distance, Hoya screamed in anguish.

 

 


Authornim: I'm...sorry. *sobs*