It all started with a Door

The In-Between (Hiatus)

Wake up.

 

The faint voice stirred Lee Sungyeol from his sleep. He scrunched his forehead and slowly opened his eyes, only to be attacked by bright lights stabbing at his eyeballs. He groaned and supported himself up. It took him sometime for his eyes to adapt the piercing bright surrounding.

 

“Where...am I?” he mumbled, only to be answered by silence. Looking everywhere and focusing his vision, he realized that there was nothing but white light. Like the usual action one would take was shout 'Hello?!'.

Sungyeol did that, but obviously there wasn't anyone to reply him. Giving up, he stood on his feet and examined himself, registering a piece of white shirt and loose long white pants that donned on him. Taking a few steps forward, he stumbled. It seems like he hasn't walk for quite sometime. A door appeared magically in the midst of the light after a few more steps forward. Just a door, just a thin wooden door placed a few feet in front of him. Dumbfounded, the black-haired man went to take a look.

 

“What's this doing here?” he touched the door that felt rough under his fingers. Sungyeol walked around the door, it was just there with nothing to support it. He reached for the doorknob and twisted it, pulling open the door to his direction. As expected, the other side of the door was filled with bright lights. As a choding Sungyeol is, he walked through the door, expecting nothing to happen.

But, something did happen.

As he walked through the door, the lights were immediately washed away by a wave of maple leaves. He found himself standing on dried leaves, straight in front were trees. A mix of golden, yellow and brown filled the leaves of the trees. He looked at the spectacular scene, it was beautiful.

 

“What black magic is this? The minute it's light and now it's Autumn...” he gawked. The door behind him vanished. “What the hell? Hey! Where's the door?!”

 

Frantically searching for the door that vanished magically, a silhouette zipped past him from behind. The leaves on the ground made crunching sounds that gave away the presence of the silhouette. Sungyeol whipped his head to that particular direction, spooked.

 

“Who's there?” he squeaked, obviously frightened. Being a man who's 180cm tall, he was scared easily by many things, even little ones.

 

The silhouette that belonged to a girl appeared behind a tree, she stood a few feet away from Sungyeol. Blonde hair cascaded down to her waist, her eyes were shimmering in a venomous green color, but to the choding, she was beautiful.

 

“H...hey,” Sungyeol stammered. “Er..do you know where are we? Who are you? What am I doing here?” he bombarded her with questions.

Oblivious to the inquiry, the girl only mumbled, “Run...or die.”

 

“Huh? What?” he asked, stunned. The girl looked at him with a stoic face, then blood started to drip form her eyes, nose, then mouth. Sungyeol was shocked as he watched her bleed profusely, he staggered a few steps back. Without sparing another second, the girl came charging at him.

 

“Hey, stop!” he exclaimed. The girl then took out a knife from her back, still coming right at him.

“No! Don't! Wait! STOP!” he screamed. But, the knife was already a few feet away from penetrating him right in the chest.

9

Lee Sungjong fled.

He killed a girl. He was scared. Tears poured from his eyes as he ran, not knowing where he's going. But fortunately, a warehouse came in view. He couldn't care less and blasted in through the door.

“Stop right there!” Kim Sunggyu roared and pointed a Claymore right at Sungjong who rammed himself into the warehouse suddenly.

“Hyung, what's wrong?” Nam Woohyun got up from behind the large wooden boxes, only to find himself seeing Sunggyu pointing the Claymore at a young guy, bloodied from head to top, tears of fear trickling down his eyes.

“Don't kill me...” Sungjong whimpered and stumbled backwards.

“Who are you?!” Sunggyu bellowed, frightening the poor guy even more.

“Stop, hyung...I think he's...human,” Woohyun lowered the Claymore from Sunggyu's hands.

“Who would know?! We almost got killed by a girl that looked like a human just now, and you expect me to keep my guard down?!” Sunggyu inched the Claymore closer to the boy.

“Please!” he cried. “Don't kill me.”

“He looks injured, just lower the weapon first hyung,” Woohyun persuaded. In the end, Sunggyu relented, but still keeping his guard up.

“What's your name?” Woohyun asked.

“Lee...Ss...Sung...Jong...” he stammered.

“It's okay, we won't hurt you, but if you do, we'll kill you, understand?” Woohyun said. He didn't want to terrify Sungjong further, but if he gave no ample warning, who knows what's going to happen. Sunggyu and Woohyun both met a blonde girl previously, thinking that she needed help or whatnot but end up getting attacked by her. They both barely made their escapade, eventually killing her in the process.

“A...girl...I killed a girl....” Sungjong's voice trembled.

“What?” Sunggyu looked at him. “Describe her.”

“B..blonde hair...green eyes...white gown...she attacked me with a knife, we fought...I stabbed her with her knife.”

Woohyun furrowed his brows. 'How can it be? I thought Sunggyu and I killed her?' he thought.

“Isn't she supposed to be dead?” Sunggyu scowled.

Ignoring Sunggyu, Woohyun continued. “Come in first, there's a sink behind, go get cleaned up.”

“Are you insane?! You're letting him in here?!” Sunggyu hissed.

“Hyung, it's either we leave this guy to die himself and have no idea what's going on, or we get him patched up and see what he has to say,” Woohyun said. Sunggyu really wanted to kill Sungjong on the spot, but hearing what Woohyun has to say, it was a plausible statement. Clenching his jaw, he muttered, “Fine.”

Woohyun gave him a grateful nod and guided Sungjong into the warehouse. Sunggyu shut the door and proceeded to what he was doing before the commotion—gathering food supplies provided from the large wooden boxes.

“I'll see if I can get you some clothes, just clean yourself up first,” Woohyun handed Sungjong a towel.

“T..thank..you,” he took the towel and rinsed it with water, wincing as he wiped of the blood from the cuts on his arm.

 

“Are you sure he's not gonna kill us?” Doubtful Sunggyu hissed under his breath again at Woohyun, who was making his way through the large wooden boxes, plopping down next to him with a set of clothes.

“If he wanted to, he would've already done that.”

“So, he killed a girl, the blondie, that we both killed before. I mean, how can this be?”

Woohyun shrugs, “Let's just see what he has to say.”

“Ex..cuse me...” Sungjong motioned for Sunggyu and Woohyun's attention. The two looked behind them, finding Sungjong mostly cleaned up, in a better state. He was...quite beautiful. With the blood gone, his facial features were more defined and visible.

“Sit.” Sunggyu gestured to the spot opposite him and he obeyed. “Speak.”

“Don't be so harsh, hyung,” Woohyun nudged him. “I'm Woohyun, and that's Sunggyu. Now, tell us everything that happened exactly.”

“I...woke up, everywhere was surrounded with lights. It was bright...” Sungjong paused. “Then I saw a door, it just appeared magically...I opened it, and walked through it, then the whole place changed. I saw a blonde-haired girl. She said, 'Run or die' and she attacked me. We wrestled and I stabbed her in the process, I fled. Then I saw this warehouse, and rammed in here for shelter, and you pointed the Claymore at me...”he finished while gesturing to Sunggyu. “Where are we?” he added.

“I don't know, but something doesn't seem right...we both woke up like you did, lights and whatever, then the door. I walked through the door and the place changed like you mentioned. But there, I found Sunggyu wandering around. We had a quick introduction, then the blondie you said appeared and attacked us. We both killed her, and ran to this warehouse. It's been sometime, then you blasted in through the door.” Woohyun explained every detail.

“How can she still be alive? We killed her,” Sunggyu voiced out. Nobody had the answer to that. They were already clueless of what's actually happening, let alone that they can't remember anything except their names.

“So basically..” Sungjong started. “You guys came here first and claimed to kill that blondie, then I came after you guys, but I saw the blondie again....this is getting nowhere...but by the way, what are those in the wooden boxes?”

“Supplies. Food, water, clothing, weapons...” Sunggyu answered.

“Why?”

“Don't know. Here, change into these,” Woohyun handed him the set of clothes.

“Thank you...” Sungjong nodded. “I saw two pieces of bloodied clothing while I was cleaning up just now, are those yours?”

“Ah, now you've mentioned it. It's not ours. We're surprised to find those clothing when we came here, a few boxes were opened and some weapons and supplies were taken. Sunggyu figured there was someone here before, but we don't know where they went,” Woohyun explained.

“It's getting late and we can't stay here forever, I'd say we pack some supplies and head out tomorrow by dawn, so just sleep for the meantime,” Sunggyu placed the Claymore next to him and gestured to Sungjong, “I trust you, but if you try to be funny, I'll make sure I behead you.”

“Un...understood,” he stammered. “But...can I have some food? I'm...kinda hungry...” he bit his lip sheepishly.

Seeing Sungjong like this, a small smile curled on Sunggyu's lips. Guess he can't be that bad, he thought.

“Sure, it's in one of those box, take whatever you want,” Woohyun smiled.

 

Dusk was near. The three of them grabbed a knapsack each provided in the box, leaving one last one behind. After filling it with food and water supplies, Sungjong went to the wooden box filled with weapons. All he saw were 3 Claymores left, since Sunggyu already took one.

“What do you think we need the Claymores for?” He asked.

“Who knows? Just take one and leave one for me,” Woohyun said.

“There's an extra though, can I take both?”

Woohyun chuckled. “You may do so, if you can handle it.”

Not fully understanding what he said, Sungjong proceeded to take the Claymores out of the box. Realization dawned on him when he felt the weight of the Claymore. So that's what Woohyun meant. In the end, he only took one out, already grunting when he lifted it up.

“Thought you're gonna take two?” Sunggyu teased.

Embarrassment washed over Sungjong's face. “It's too heavy.”

Woohyun laughed. “That weight of one is already burdening us. It would be a miracle if a fragile body like yours can take two.”

Sungjong puffed up his cheeks and wondered aloud. “What if...there's one more person coming?”

“Huh?” both Sunggyu and Woohyun looked at him in confusion.

“I mean...this wooden box looked like it contained 7 Claymores. Each of us takes one, leaving 4. And you said maybe someone was here and took 2, leaving one left for....god knows who? It's just an assumption...but it was obvious that 2 person have been here, considering the 2 different bloodied clothing they left behind.”

“You said it might contain 7 Claymores, but we only saw 2 bloodied clothing. So there's supposed to be 4 Claymores left, so where did the extra one go?” Sunggyu asked.

“Why does it even matter?” Woohyun yawned and laid down on the floor.

“It's just an assumption,” Sungjong bit his lips. Just then, he spotted something odd from where Woohyun is lying.

“Err, Woohyun, can you get up for awhile?” Sungjong asked.

“Yah, I obviously look older than you, add a 'hyung', okay?” Woohyun got up to his feet.

“Okay...Woohyun-hyung,” Sungjong nodded and proceeded to Woohyun's direction. He knelt down on the floor and saw another thin piece of fabric covered in dried blood.

“Guess we found the 3rd person, another piece of fabric here,” he waved it up in front of Sunggyu.

“Whatever, 3 person were here before, so? Let's just get some sleep, we have a long day ahead,” Sunggyu shifted into a sleeping person on the floor and placed the Claymore beside him.

Silently, Sungjong followed suit, lying a few feet away from Sunggyu. Woohyun plopped down next to Sunggyu and laid down.

“Seriously Woohyun? Sleep further away can you? You're gonna take away all my oxygen so shoo,” Sunggyu scowled at him. Pouting, Woohyun scooted away from Sunggyu and slept next to Sungjong instead.

“You won't mind like that angry hamster there right?” Woohyun teased.

“Nope, I'm totally fine,” Sungjong smiled.

“Tch...” Sunggyu scoffed and flipped to the other side, back facing Woohyun.

“Goodnight guys.”


Authornim: And Chapter one is up! Enjoy guys~ <3 And if you guys are wondering what's a Claymore, it's the pic at the bottom: