Lonely

Perfection

     They never spoke about it after that day. Jessica didn't want to make Yuri uncomfortable about her uality, and Yuri didn't want to talk at all about being gay. There was an obvious, uncomfortable tension between them; and it wasn't that they didn't notice it, but that they didn't want to.

 

 

     "Yuri." Jessica whispered to the girl seated across from her who was working on math homework.

     "Hm?" Yuri hummed in response, letting Jessica know she was listening.

     The shorter girl took a deep breath, "I know you feel it too." she whispered quieter than usual so that the librarian couldn't hear. "We're so awkward around each other now. You know I don't care if you're gay." she sighed and added sarcastically, "If you didn't already know: I'm also a lesbian."

     Yuri had stopped paying attention to the math questions that were in front of her, but was now staring down onto her paper, not wanting to make eye contact.

     Fianlly she sighed, "I know you don't care." Yuri said, "It's not you I worry about. It's everyone else." The black haired girl looked at Jessica and continued, "I know for certain that my friends wouldn't accept me if I came out to them. I don't even think the school would accept me if I came out. I wouldn't be 'Kwon Yuri' anymore. I would be..." Yuri hesitated and before she could continue, Jessica finished for her.

     "You would be a 'Jung Jessica' right?"

     "Yes-" Yuri agreed but having realised what she said, quickly changed her mind, "I mean, no!"

     Jessica laughed. "It's fine." she said, "I know my place in this school. But I also know yours. Who doesn't? You're probably the most popular girl in here."

     A beat of silence passed them and Jessica broke it.

     "Your friends." she began quietly, "Why are you with them if you know they won't accept you?" 

     "Because." Yuri replied, just as quiet. "Because here, reputation is everything and being with them maintains my status. Because i'm a selfish who craves for attention. Because i'm lonely and I want to be surrounded by people."

     Jessica almost didn't know how to respond. That was the most she had ever heard Yuri speak about herself - and in such a degrading manner.

     "If being surrounded by people makes you less lonely," Jessica asked slowly, "then why are you with me?"

     Yuri's cheeks flushed red and she broke eye contact, looking back down onto her math sheet. Then she admitted; athough with hesitation, "It's strange, but I never feel lonely when I'm with you."