Scarf

Perfection

     It had been exactly a month since she met Jessica when Yuri accidentally brought to light her most darkest secret.

     "So who was it?" Yuri gushed as Jessica ended a call on her cellphone. "Your boyfriend?"

     Jessica set the phone down onto the coffee table that was between them and rolled her eyes. "No." she responded, "It's my mum asking if I had bought eggs for her yet-"

     "Which you haven't" Yuri interjected.

     "And I don't have a boyfriend." The brunette ignored Yuri's little interuption. "I wouldn't even date a boy." Jessica simply stated, "Im gay."

     "Huh," Yuri said taking a sip of her coffee. She set down her cup and as if has a mind of its own, she responded with "That's interesting. Me too."

     The raven haired girl almost fell out of her chair. But on the other side of the table, Jessica just sipped her tea and casually said, "I kind of figured."

     A beat of silence passed. 

     "You seem flustered." Jessica noted after a while, "Are you okay?"

     Yuri squirmed in her seat, face red beyond recognition. Jessica raised an eyebrow.

     "Wait." she suddenly realised, "Don't tell me that was the first time you've ever come out."

     The red faced girl didn't answer, but instead took out a few coins and placed them onto the table. Wanting nothing but to bolt out of the cafe, she started to leave.

 

 

     "Wait." Jessica almost shouted, earning a couple of looks from the other customers in the building. She ignored the looks thrown at her and frantically paid for her tea, running out the cafe to find Yuri.

     She caught up to Yuri who was walking quickly across the thin snow on the ground. Her cheeks were still red, but not from embarassment like it was before, but from the cold. She rubbed her hands together and burrowed her face into her jacket.

     "Yuri." Jessica said, getting her attention. Yuri almost bolted again but was stopped when Jessica gripped her forearm.

     Jessica sighed. "You don't have to tell me anything. Just take this scarf alright? You look really cold."

     The shorter brunette girl unraveled her large red scarf and on tiptoes, wrapped it tightly around Yuri's neck. Jessica smiled at the scene, Yuri's face was half covered under the scarf, her cheeks matching the same shade of red the scarf was.

     "Thanks." Yuri mumbled and looked away as she said, "I'm sorry."

     "It's okay." Jessica patted her arm. "I'll see you at school." She turned to leave, not wanting to make Yuri uncomfortable anymore.