Anger

The Dark Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They hadn't been lying when they said she was going to be busy; right after breakfast, she found herself spirited away from the table to yet another room by an irritable Daehyun. He seemed to have lost the tinge of humor he'd had only earlier that morning, a frown creasing his face as he led her down a long, windowless hallway to stop before a plain wooden door. He turned to her then, his eyes raking up and down her form, his frown deepening as he did so.

"What?" she demanded, voice cross and determined not to let him know that he was intimidating. His frown lifted at her question, though, surprise flickering through his eyes before he shook his head.

"No, nothing," he told her, lifting a hand to pinch the skin between his brows before reaching for the door in front of them. "I was just thinking about... things."

'Like I'm not good enough to be here?' she thought, but before she could vocalize it, he pushed the door open and the words got stuck in . It wasn't a large room, nothing grand about it in the wood of the walls and floor nor even the furniture, but the elegant dresses hanging from the racks inside of the room were what took her breath away. Fine dresses in all colors of the rainbow, some shining with jewels sewn into them, some made from velvets and silks that she'd only seen in shop windows. She hadn't seen such beauty so close and she wondered briefly how much money each of the fine garments were worth, but then she noticed the tall young woman standing inside the room. Her large dark eyes were on Amber, red painted mouth pressed into a tight line as she inspected her dirty clothing and short cut hair with distaste.

Pulling herself up and squaring her shoulders, Amber gave the pretty young woman a challenging look, one that made her start with surprise and turn away from her open disapprovement of Amber's looks. Daehyun let out a dry chuckle before reaching out a hand as if to guide Amber inside the door; before he could touch her, though, she snapped a hand up and smacked his reach away. "Don't touch me," she warned, and though he quirked an eyebrow in amusement, he did as she asked and simply offered a mocking bow, directing her to enter the room ahead of him.

"My lady," he said sarcastically, and she had to resist the urge to kick him as she passed. The girl in the room turned back to her then, a flush on h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter