Assassin

The Dark Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Daehyun had ducked inside the thicket not long after, saying her needed to get some rest before they set off, and so when the sun rose Amber was the only one outside to see it. She watched as the first golden rays began to lighten the sky, and her thoughts turned to Luna and Jongin, wondering how they were doing. Maybe she hadn't been fair to the Brotherhood; after all, why should she judge their motives when their actions had taken the two people she cared for the most off of the streets and given them a future? And according to Yongguk, they'd done that for more than just her and her friends.

Maybe she coud actually trust them.

A shuffling noise from the thicket pulled her from her thoughts, and then a ywaning Yongguk appeared, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "G'mornin," he mumbled when he cracked an eye open to see her, and she had to smile at how grumpy he sounded.

"Sleep well?" she asked nicely, and the glare she received in return was enough to make her giggle. "You snored like a man wrestling a bear," she added, and the flush that appeared in his cheeks made the teasing well worth it.

"Yah, I think I preferred the non-talkative you," he grumbled, though the smile tugging at the corners of his mouth told the lie in his words. He stretched and headed off to go take care of morning things, and by the time he came back Daehyun was making his way out of the thicket.

His eyes were puffy from lack of sleep and he looked downright tired, but he gave a mumbled greeting when he saw Amber. His gaze flickered to her lips and she knew he was thinking of their kiss, and she flushed and turned away before she could let her own mind head down that track. Yongguk saw the interaction, though, and cast a dark eye on Daehyun.

"You came in late," was all he said, though, and Daehyun only shrugged in response. They go their gear settled quickly, and, snacking on a breakfast of dried fruit and meat once more, they set off through the woods. Yongguk was quite irritated with Daehyun for the diversion in their path due to the previous day's antics, but Daehyun seemed confident that they were going the right way and still making good time.

So at midday when they came to the edge of the forest and Amber saw a large manor house, she was confused. "Where are we?" she asked quietly, turning to Yongguk for answers. She could make out a garrison on the far side, and stables directly across from the three hiding in the woods.

"This... this is the Usurper's estate." His eyes were steady on hers, though she could see a strange flicker of worry in his. "This is where his famiy lives. The monster who killed the King and Queen and the child Prince hides his family here, from prying eyes of the court and assassin's blades."

She felt go dry at the implication in his tone, and she had to her lips several times before she could ask. "Why are we here?" She already knew the answer, though, and Yongguk's nod only confirmed it for her.

"It's your mission to kill his family."

 

At first she'd been hesitant, but finally she agreed, stepping through the trees and into the field to lay flat on her stomach, making her way slowly toward the stable. Her two companions were somewhere i the forest behind her, Yongguk saying that they would wait for her until

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter