Sight!

The Dark Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
She sat up in shock, her eyes darting around the room and taking it in for the first time. It was a plain room, small and without corners, a round shape instead of square; at one spot there was a door cut into the side, a small wooden table set a few paces in front of it. She assumed that was where she had been getting her food, though the room didn’t look as ominous as she’d imagined it. There were no other furnishings but she had known that, and as she drew herself to her feet, the door opened.

The young man who came in was attractive; tall and slender with thick dark hair falling over his forehead, mischief shining in his dark hazel eyes meeting hers as a grin widened his full lips. She resisted the urge to look down at herself and take stock of her own appearance, and then his scent drifted to her. Wood smoke and soap, and she paused for only a second before speaking.

“Daehyun,” she said automatically, and his smile only widened even as he quirked an eyebrow at her. She was pleased that she’d gotten it right, and it was obvious that he was, too. “How can I see again? What did you do to me?”

“Come,” he said, his voice confirming her identification of him, as well as his blatant ignoring of her questions; his arm swept toward the still open door to indicate her going ahead of him. She was hesitant of course, but she didn’t want to stay in this solitary room forever, and so with a deep breath she moved to the door as he directed. As she passed Daehyun she realized that he was taller than she’d first thought, towering over her; then again, she was short, anyone cold seem tall to her.

A staircase was directly outside of the door, winding steeply upward and twisting around out of sight; with a deep breath she started up the stairs, wondering what lay at the top of them. Her imagination worked overtime, visions of ominous temples and legions of soldiers, so much so that when she finally reached the top, Daehyun right behind her, she was almost disappointed.

The room the stairs led into was another plain, barely furnished room, a large fireplace the only adornment to it, but what caught her attention was the scent of food wafting through the doorway across the way. She was so hungry, and when her stomach rumbled, she followed the call. She crossed the room halfway, intent on finding the source of that delicious smell, before she reached a window; the sight there made her freeze in her tracks.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter