Testing

The Dark Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was dark inside the unfamiliar room as she entered, and all she could make out was a small torch burning at the far end of the room. Pillars lined the hallway between her and the firelight, and they only served to deepen the blacknes around her. She took control of the sudden fear that rose up and tried to focus on Daehyun's training.

'Trust my senses, not my sight,' she thought, closing her eyes and drawing a slow, even breath. There was none of the tale-tell scent of smoke and soap that marked Daehyun, nor any of the scent of candy that seemed to permeate the air around Jongup. Her brow furrowed as she took another breath, trying to see if she could smell anything that might give someone away, and then took a silent step deeper into the room. She paused immediately, because as her toes landed on the tile in front of her, she heard the slightest click from beside her.

Instinct pushed her back to the doors once more, and then there was a whoosh of air from where she'd been standing before something thunked into the wall right in front of her. The hairs on the back of her neck rose and she reached out hesitantly, carefully feeling the air in front of her until her fingers found it. The smoothness of metal tapered to a point, sharp as a razor on one side, and she realized with a cold dread that it was a blade tht was now lodged into the wood. Whatever she had stepped on had been some sort of trigger, and had she not leapt back on instinct, she would now be dead.

"Oh hell no," she breathed, and turned to grab the door handle. Only, there was no handle, only smooth wood no matter where she felt. Panic threatened to override her, but the she felt a presence come from the shadows behind her. She turned to see a figure standing in front of the flickering torch, a man's body silhouetted against the light.

"You can do this, Amber," Himchan called out, voice strong as he beckoned for her to come to him. "You've trained, you know how to trust your senses. Now come on. Come get the torch."

"You're insane," she whispered, pressing her back to the door behind her. They were trying to kill her! But Himchan only chuckled and shook his head, lifting a hand to motion her toward him.

"No. Not insane. But you must pass this test."

"Or?"

Silence met her query and she had the dreaded feeling that she knew what that meant. If she couldn't pass this test, she would die. That simple. There was no way around it, though, and so with a deep breath she took a step forward, her whole body shaking in fear.

Five careful steps in and she heard another click. She jumped backward again, wary of yet another sword, but this time she heard a sharp metallic sound from the floor in front of her, a glittering moment where the light reflected off of a hundred spikes, and then they sank back into the floor. "What the," she began, and once again moved forward carefully until the click sounded once again. The spikes shot up from their hiding places again, once more blocking her path across, and she ground her teeth in frustration. "Now what? How am I supposed to get past these?"

No answer met her question, though, the room silent once again. She thought that she could sense someone off to her right beyond the pillars, though, but when she decided to try and go to it, she heard another click. A wall of flame shot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter