Cost

The Dark Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They'd seen the smoke long before the Temple came into view, Yongguk's already grim face going deathly pale as he kicked his horse into a gallop, the horse resisting for a moment due to the day long ride they'd already undertaken. They had barely spoken in that time, only enough for Amber to tell him that she hadn't killed the child, which he'd oddly seemed relieved at, and for him to confirm that it had, indeed, been Daehyun. The other man had attacked him nearly as soon as they arrived at the rendezvous point, knocking Yongguk unconscious before he even realized that Daehyun was a threat. That small conversation was enough to put them both in silence, Yongguk looking pained and angry while Amber mulled over the reasons in her head.

The smoke cleared all of it away, and despite her inexperience with horses, she too kicked hers into a gallop to follow right at Yongguk's heels, fear for Luna and Jongin in . As they crested the hill, the sun was beginning to rise once again; it had been over twenty-four hours since they'd set out on the horses, pushing them at a trot almost the whole way to reach the Temple as quickly as possible. It was too late, though...

The once modest Temple lay in smoldering ruins, pieces of it still burning, the smoke thick in the air. Amber slid off of her horse and fell onto her knees, her muscles unused to riding and just giving out on her; she stayed there in shock as she stared at the ruined building, her heart frozen in fear.

"Amber," Yongguk said, slipping from his own saddle and stumbling as he came toward her, his own legs obviously wooden from the long journey as well. He dropped to his knees beside her, though, and pulled her into his arms to envelope her in a tight hug. She hadn't even realized she was crying until the first sob ripped through her, wracking her entire body as the flood broke free. He held her as she cried, her hands fisted against his chest, knowing that she had left Luna and Jongin here to die.

"I failed them," she whispered, and Yongguk's hand came up to rest in her hair, smoothing it carefully back as he lifted her face to meet his.

"You didn't fail anyone, Amber. I'm the one who trusted... him. I'm so sorry."

She shook her head, heart aching at the remorse she saw on his face, but before she could speak a voice interrupted them.

"Where's Daehyun?"

The two of them pulled apart abruptly, both turning in shock to stare at a tired looking Youngjae leaning on his bow. "You're alive!" Yongguk said, just as Amber blurted out, "Luna and Jongin?"

Youngjae inclined his head toward her, though a twist of his lips told something else. "They're safe," he said, the turned his sharp eyes back to Yongguk. "It seems we need to talk."

"Where is Himchan?" Yongguk asked as he pushed himself to his feet, reaching down to help Amber to stand unsteadily to her feet. Youngjae watched them both with a critical eye, but she shrugged and shook his head minutely.

"Dead. He tried to keep the soldiers off while the rest of us tried to escape. I'm in charge," the last bit was added almost as if in challenge, but Yongguk only nodded in acceptance and motioned for Youngjae to lead the way.

 

He led them into the woods, Yongguk leading the horses with Amber hobbling along behind. Youngjae told them what had happened, ad none of it was good news.
The Usurper's army came three days earlier, a date that made Amber sigh as she remembered how Daehyun had been the one to 'fight' the soldiers on his own. Now s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter