Crown

The Dark Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following morning, Sulli came to her room to wake her, earlier than usual and with a tension in her shoulders that blied the lightness in her voice. "Time to get up," she called, throwing open the closet to pull out a few articles of clothing from it to begin folding them. "You're wanted in the main sanctuary."

The last time she'd been in there, she'd gotten a cut on her ankle: even now, it throbbe, reminding her that she needed to clean it and change the bandage. Especially after climbing around the previous night. Maybe she shouldn't have gone out, but the conversation with Daehyun had been worth it.

Sudden embarrassment flooded her as she hoped that he hadn't caught the way she'd looked at him, the way her eyes had been drawn to him in the light of the moon. He was attractive, for sure, but his attitude could use an adjustment... and besides, she didn't need to be distracted by some handsome assassin.

Running a hand through her hair, she gave a sigh and crossed the room to stand beside Sulli. She reached for the outfit she wore almost every day, a soft black cotton shirt and pants, just like the clothing that the acolytes wore, but Sulli caught her wrist with a shake of her head. "Not today, sorry." Instead she pressed soft brown pants and a light tan shirt into her hands. "Wear these. Your training is done."

After a few moments of pressing Sulli for answers, she decided that the tall girl did not have any. If she wanted to learn anything, she had to go to the main sanctuary. And so she dressed quickly, gave Sulli a quick smile, and headed out the door and down the hallway.

She didn't see anyone as she went, but when she stepped through the ope doors of the sanctuary she saw why. Every acolyte was gathered there, less than a hundred all together, but all in one place gave a sense of power despite their small numbers. She caught familiar aces in the crowd, but at the far end of the temple she saw Himchan standing and waiting for her. With a nervous breath, she entered the sanctuary and moved down the well lit hall to meet him.

"Good morning," he greeted, his words quiet but magnified by the room. He motioned around at all the gathered, then gave her a smile. "Welcome to the Brotherhood."

"I'm a woman," she said automatically, and heard a few laughs from the people around her. Himchan's lips quirked in a smile, and he ducked his head in acknowledgement.

"Ah, yes, you are. You'd be called a Dark Sister, then," he ammended, and though she thought it was a corny title she refrained from saying so. There was something about the way he said it...

"I would be? Or I am?" she aske

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter