Sensation

The Dark Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The din of the marketplace was like the sound of music to her ears, a promise of money to be taken and food to eat. Amber rubbed her fingers against the leg of her pants as she crouched in the shadow of a wagon, its contents surely emptied hours ago when the city was asleep as the merchants prepared for a day of selling. Today was going to go good, she was sure of it.

Standing up from her crouch smoothly, she sauntered out into the bright morning light, her head down and the dirt in her hair disguising the color that would make her stand out. Most of the people of Darkellyun had dark hair, and for one such as her, her natural red would only make her stand out like a sore thumb. That would be the worst possible thing at the moment...

Blending into the crowd was easy, just a few quick steps to put her right at the tail end of a large group of people who were chatting animatedly amongst themselves. They took no notice of her, and she plastered a smile on her face as she pretending to be listening to them, a part of them. Her eyes were scanning the merchant's stalls as they passed, though, ready for an opportunity.

One that came quickly; as the small group passed a merchant whose tired eyes were focused on another customer, the young woman reached out her hand and snatched up a bright red fruit from his baskets, stashing it in one of the pockets she'd sewn on the inside of her cloak. Her hand was too fast, her movement too practiced; no one noticed. 

A few paces later she peeled herself away from the group; one young man had finally noticed her and was looking at her curiously, and so she made as if she'd simply been trying to pass them. The young man's purse was heavy in her hand; she'd cut it as she'd passed, her shoulder knocking into him enough that he didn't feel the weight of his money leave his belt. That went into another pocket and she continued on her way through the market, eyes sharp as she watched for more opportunities.

"Yah, Amber!" a hand caught her elbow ad she instinctively spun to release herself; a small child stood there with a pout on his face as he watched her. She laughed quietly and squatted down to look him in the eye.

"What did I tell you about grabbing me?" she asked, her tone chiding, and his pout only deepened. "Yah," she grouched, using one hand to ruffle his hair while the other pulled the fruit from her pocket. "Go share this with your sister, okay? And don't distract me while I am in the marketplace."

"But Luna said she needs you," he whined, his large eyes on the fruit even as he made his plea. Amber had to fight to not roll her eyes; she knew what the little girl was likely to 'need' her for, and she didn't have time to listen to her. Meeting the little boy's eyes, she smiled softly again.

"Jongin, was it something other than her usual? Tell me."

After a long moment, he bit his lip and shook his head,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter