eight

Hired Girlfriend
hungry? wanna eat some ramyeon with me? ^^ —Jinggi
 
That was the first text that Soojung read when she got off from work.
 
Soojung, let's have dinner together! —Jinri
 
Then he read Jinri's text. She didn't know which invitation she should accept but decided to have dinner with both of them at the ramyeon stand so she answered "yes" to both of them.
 
Jinki prepared himself when he recieved Soojung's response. When he ran to the door, Jonghyun noticed his rush.
 
"Jinki, where are you going?"
"Eat ramyeon with Soojung." He answered as he put on his shoes.
"I wanna come." Jonghyun stood up from the sofa and went to the door to put on his shoes as well.
"Eh? Why? Don't you have any gig tonight?" Jinki asked looking oddly at the younger boy.
"Nope. So I'm coming." Jonghyun was unstoppable.
 
Jonghyun just really wanted to know how Jinki and Soojung act around each other. He wanted to see if there were sparks between them. It was not like he was against them, he just wanted to know.
 
"Choi Jinri." The two boys tilted their heads when they saw Jinri beside Soojung.
"You didn't tell me we're waiting for them." Jinri looked at her friend who was smiling when she saw the two older boys.
"Surprise!"
 
Jinki sat on the left side of Soojung while Jonghyun sat beside Jinri. Jinki and Soojung immediately ordered a bowl each of ramyeon while Jinri and Jonghyun were awkwardly greeting each other. It was bit strange because they obviously didn't expect each other. They were fine around each other but not that night.
 
"I'm only here to spy on them." Jonghyun whispered to Jinri to make things less awkward.
"Oh. Then I'll just do the same. It seems to me that Soojung is starting to like Jinki." Jinri cofessed and so Jonghyun smirked. He knew it was gonna be a fun dinner.
 
"Wow, you're together again. I keep seeing you two together lately." The old woman said as she gave them their orders.
"You even brought some friends. Are you on a double date?" She also noticed Jonghyun and Jinri that were still whispering to each other and laughing but froze when she mentioned the words "double date".
"No!" The two answered in chorus shaking their heads really hard. The sight made Jinki and Soojung laughed.
 
"Jjong, since you've been single for over a year now, why don't you ask Jinri out?" Jinki suggested.
"Better yet, you could hire her like Jinki did to me." Soojung said and Jinki high-fived her. Jonghyun and Jinri couldn't believe that the two could joke about the ridiculous act they made.
"I've got my fake girlfriend here, you have your fake girlfriend there. Perfect double date." Jinki even put his arm over Soojung shoulder.
 
"Jinri, they're going crazy." Jonghyun hit his forehead and Jinri nodded.
"You'll make a great couple! The giant and the dwarf!" Soojung exclaimed again and Jinki high-fived her again.
"Let's eat!" But Jinri and Jonghyun ignored them and started eating.
 
Jinki and Soojung had their own little world like Jonghyun and Jinri weren't there. The crowd around them were so noisy that they couldn't even hear what the two were talking about.
 
"Let's just look at their faces. Don't you see it on their faces?" Jinri turned to look at Jinki and Soojung who were happily chatting. Jinki kept pointing at Soojung's chest. It may seemed odd from their point of view but then Jinri remembered that Soojung sent her a photo of a necklace that Jinki gave her so he must be pointing at that. And he was actually. Jinki was still teasing Soojung about the necklace.
 
"Did you know Jinki gave Soojung a silver necklace with a heart pendant?" Jinri asked with a low tone and Jonghyun's eyes widened. He didn't know about that. It wasn't a bad thing that Jinri was there after all.
"She said it was his gift for pretending to be his girlfriend." Jinri added.
"I didn't know Jinki is that rich. If I knew, I would pretend to be his girlfriend. At least I'll earn some money." Jinri stated and Jonghyun chuckled.
"Finish up your noodles then let's go somewhere else. We're getting nothing here and they're basically ignoring us." Jonghyun said and Jinri followed. She was getting bored staring at the two anyway.
 
Once Jinki and Soojung finished eating, they thought of hanging out at Jinki's flat so they turned to Jonghyun and Jinri.
 
"Hey, let's go—where are they?" Jinki asked Soojung when they saw the empty seats beside them but she just shrugged.
"Maybe they really went on a real date." Soojung widened her eyes surprised with her own thoughts.
"Are we matchmakers now?"
"Looks like it."
 
Jinki paid for everyone before they left. They walked around the night market instead of hanging out in the flat. It was a very busy and warm night but all they did was eat hot street foods. Soojung was still hungry and Jinki didn't stop treating her.
 
"Soojung, slow down." Jinki said as Soojung bit a juicy barbecue from a stick.
"But this is delicious! Try it!" Soojung said with full and putting the barbecue right on his face but Jinki just pushed her hands away and stared at Soojung's face for a moment.
"What? You're doing it again! Stop staring!" Soojung would turn red if he stared a bit longer.
"Now, you have all the sauce on your face." Jinki pointed.
"Where? I can't see it." Soojung the sides of .
"Of course, you can't see it. Here, let me do it for you." Jinki wiped off the sauce with both of his thumb.
"T-thanks." Soojung looked away and started eating again.
 
It was a bit strange feeling for the both of them. A good strange feeling that seemed a little new. It was strange because they thought they had been in love before but it was a different feeling. They could feel something fluttering in their tummies and it was the first time for the both of them to feel that way.
 
When Soojung was finally full, they decided to go home. They were quiet in Jinki's car and he didn't want it to be awkward so he broke the silence.
 
"How was work today?"
"Work? Oh, you know, like the usual... Are you looking for a job?" Soojung asked raising both of her eyebrows.
"Uhm... No, not really. I still want to work at the small company." Jinki sighed.
"Good." Soojung uttered that made Jinki look at her.
"Good 'cause... you know, you should go for what you want. I'll support you all the way!" Soojung exclaimed.
"You little..." Jinki glared at her.
"Angel?" Soojung smiled like a cute little girl.
"Keep your eyes on the rode!"
 
Jinki dropped her off in front of her apartment building.
 
...
 
Jonghyun brought Jinri to his recording studio because he lied to Jinki. He actually had a practice with his bandmates and so he took that opportunity to entertain Jinri. And she was pretty entertained. She liked their music. She had heard some of their songs thanks to Soojung and she had been to a couple of their gigs.
 
"Bravo! Bravo!" Jinri applauded and the band members all smiled at her.
"It's nice to have a fan watching our practice." The guitarist said.
"Hey, we need an honest comment here. Don't be biased." The drummer told her.
"But you really are great! Amazing! I wouldn't change a thing." She shook her head.
"Want another song, Jinri?" Jonghyun asked and she nodded with a big smile.
 
...
 
The head of the small company was getting ready to leave the office when he came across the folder that Soojung gave him the day before. He took a look at the blueprints and he was actually quite amazed. Some might look like works of an amateur but most of them were like works of an architect that has so much experienced. Like a pro.
 
"Not bad," he said before he searched for Jinki's number in the folder and contacted him.
 
"Hello? Is this Lee Jinki?"
"Yes, who's speaking?" Jinki had just got out of the shower.
"This is Park Jungsoo from Blue Sapphire Architects." He introduced himself that took Jinki by surprise.
"Mr Park! Hello. May I ask why you're calling?" Jinki sat on the edge of his bed.
"Are you free tomorrow morning? Can you come by the office at 9? I want to talk to you about something."
"Tomorrow at 9? I'll be there, sir."
"Okay, see you tomorrow, Mr Lee Jinki."
"Thank you for calling, Mr Park." Jinki said before he hung up.
 
"Taem! Taem! The CEO of Blue Sapphire Architects called!!!" Jinki ran out of the room to the younger boy who was eating ice cream.
"He wants me to pass by his office tomorrow!" He announced.
"I have a really good feeling about it, Jinki." Taemin said contented of Jinki's news.
"Me, too, Taem." Jinki nodded.
 
...
 
The next day, the three boys were all preparing to go out. Jonghyun had some rehearsals for a gig, Taemin was going to work and Jinki was going to his dream workplace.
 
"Hey, Jonghyun. You came home late last night. Where did you and Jinri go?" Jinki questioned him while they were changing their clothes in the room.
"I brought her with me to the studio. The guys were there and we made some music with Jinri." Jonghyun answered. He had nothing to hide so he just told the truth.
"You're not dating or anything, right?" Jinki had a sly look.
"Jinki, we just hung out last night because we both felt out of place and ignored when we were with you and Soojung. I'm supposed to be the one to ask if you are dating for real now." Jonghyun turned the whole situation around.
"Why are you two shouting? Are you fighting over a girl?" Taemin came into the room.
"Nope, Taemin. Don't worry. It's just that Jjong and Jinri happened." Jinki whispered to Taemin but Jonghyun could hear him.
"Lee Jinki! I'm leaving." Jonghyun walked out.
"Are they dating?" Taemin was about to believe Jinki's words.
"No. I'm just teasing him because he's suspecting of my relationship with Soojung."
"Oh. I'm on Jjong's side then." Taemin chuckled and walked out of the room.
"Eh??!"
"Bye, Jinki." Taemin left as well.
 
Jinki left the house at 8.30 and arrived in front of the company 10 minutes before 9. There was a little traffic that was why it took him a little long. He didn't got off the car immediately and waited for five more minutes. His palms were sweating. He was nervous, of course, because he didn't know why the head architect wanted to talk to him. Even if he felt good when Mr Park called, he still wasn't sure. He just rubbed his hands together and breathed in deeply before he went off the car and walked into the office.
 
"Lee Jinki?" When he entered, someone instantly called his name.
"Yes, sir. Good morning!" He greeted. He recognized the face. It was Park Jungsoo, the founder of the Blue Sapphire Architects. He had done some research on him over the years and he had seen photos of him online. He had seen him a few times but he had never talked to him. When he passed his resumé, someone else was there.
 
"Please, take a seat." Jungsoo said when they were finally inside his private office.
"Thank you, sir." He sat down shaking.
"I..." Jungsoo sat on his seat and took out a folder in his drawer.
"I took a look at some of your works again and I must say, they all looked great. I'm quite surprised with your skills." He handed Jinki the folder and so Jinki looked at them. Right then he realized that those weren't the works he gave him.
"We don't really take in new employees. As you may already know that this is only a two-men company but..." He paused still not sure if he was going to give him the offer or not.
"But... would you like to work as an apprentice here? If you do well, maybe we can hire you officially." Jungsoo added and Jinki just had his jaw dropped. He didn't know what to say.
"So, are you okay with that offer?" Jungsoo asked that made Jinki go back to his senses. He blinked a few times before he answered.
"That's more than okay! That's great, sir!" Jinki could jump off his seat but he tried not to so he could show his maturity.
"You can start tomorrow, Jinki." Jungsoo stood up and reached out for a handshake that Jinki immediately accepted as he bowed a complete 90°.
 
"You know, we don't usually look at application forms here but your girlfriend came by the other day and convinced me to look at yours." Jungsoo said as he accompanied him.
"My girlfriend?" Jinki didn't know who Jungsoo was talking about.
"Ah, not your girlfriend, but your fake girlfriend. She gave me that folder the other day." Jungsoo corrected himself.
Fake girlfriend??? Jung Soojung!
"See you tomorrow, Jinki." Jungsoo said his goodbye and Jinki just bowed and thanked him a few more times.
 
Once he got in his car, he drove to the coffee shop. He was in a huge hurry because he knew he just had to thank Soojung. Jinki couldn't even stop smiling and it was all because of what Soojung did.
 
"Where's Soojung? Where's Soojung?" Jinki went in the cafe running and looking around trying to find Soojung. Once he spotted her, he rushed to her, wrapped his arms around her waist, raised her from the ground and swung her round and round.
 
Everyone was looking at them. Well, it was quite a scene.
 
"No PDA!" Siwon shouted who was just watching from the cashier.
"Jinki, put me down." Soojung whispered and so Jinki did.
"Thank you so much, Soojung! I could kiss you right now!" Jinki cupped Soojung's face with both of his hands.
"What? Why?"
"Blue Sapphire Architects finally took me in! And it's all thanks to you so thank you, thank you, thank you!" Jinki was so happy. Soojung had never seen him that contented and knowing that she was the reason behind that made her happy too.
"Really?! Wow! Congratulations, Jinki!" She hugged him tightly.
 
"What happened?" Jinki heard a husky voice and realized that Minho was there at the table where Soojung was serving earlier.
"Choi Minho," Jinki had to pull away from Soojung's embrace.
"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I interrupt your little sweet moment there?" Minho half jokingly said. He really was sorry to have interrupted them but he was also teasing them.
"Yes, you did. Shame on you." Jinki then hugged Soojung from the side.
"I told you, no PDA!" Their very dear manager shouted again and so Jinki let go of Soojung.
 
"So what happened?" Minho really wanted to know. Jinki took a seat and made Soojung sit as well.
"You see, I want to work in this tiny company. I gave them my resumé a few weeks ago and they said they didn't want me there. Then, little did I know, this angel beside me," Jinki looked at Soojung with his brightest smile.
"She convinced the head of that company to look into my designs again. I don't know how but she did it! Thank you, Soojung!" He then suddenly pulled Soojung and kissed her forehead that made her blush and made her heart pound. That was really uncalled for but Jinki just had to do it
"Lee Jinki! Will you please stop or should I make you leave?" Siwon was pretending to be mad but he was actually enjoying the scene.
"C-congratulations!" Minho was surprised too on Jinki's sudden sweet action towards Soojung.
 
"And now, I have to steal Soojung from here because we can't display our affection." Jinki stood up, took Soojung by the hand and pulled her out of the coffee shop.
"Lee Jinki, I'm working. Let's go back in." Soojung was pulling away from Jinki but his grip was tight.
"No. Siwon said no PDA inside so I'm taking you out." Jinki said which didn't make any sense since they weren't even really dating.
"And Minho's there. I can't enjoy this day when he's around." Jinki added as he continued pulling her far from the coffee shop.
"What? What's that supposed to mean? Are you jealous of Minho?" Soojung stopped from walking and looked at Jinki strangely and curiously.
"Are you falling for me, Jinki?" She asked that made Jinki glance at her with a shocked face expression.
"Me? Jealous?! Me? Falling for you?!" Jinki's eyes were widened then he burst into a huge laughter.
"You wish." He uttered.
"And what was that kiss about? It's not included in our deal." Soojung punched his arm.
"It was just a kiss on the forehead. It was just part of the act because Minho was there and I was and still am very happy. And, Soojung, we didn't have a deal." Jinki explained.
"Then we should make a contract or something. Because, obviously, this act won't end soon." Soojung felt like it was a bit unfair on her side.
 
They went to the park and sat on a bench that was shaded by a huge tree. There they talked about the whole agreement that they should've done before everything even started. Soojung asked him how long did she have to be his pretend girlfriend and if it would take a month or so, she should be paid a little more but Jinki refused telling her that he had done so much for her and that he shouldn't give her more money adding that he always paid for them whenever they hun out and had meals. Then Soojung reminded him of what she just did for him—make him work in his dream workplace. And that turned everything around. Jinki finally thought that Soojung's on the right track that moment and not him so basically he was the one who owed her. So he decided that he'd pay her every time they'd have to pretend, just like moments ago when Minho was there. Soojung also noted the PDAs. She should be warned before he does any of those PDAs.
 
"But seriously, Jinki. How long do I have to be your 'hired girlfriend'?" Soojung asked because she was afraid that they might get caught one day or another.
"If we break up in a month, that will make our dating period too short. Technically, I'm kinda your first boyfriend and you're kinda my first girlfriend and we both don't want a short term relationship. So maybe, two or three months." Jinki made sense so Soojung didn't disagree. He was right and it was not like they had to pretend every single day.
"Fine." Soojung said.
"Fine?"
"Fine."
"Okay... Can I hug you then? Because I seriously am so grateful for what you did!" Jinki easily returned to the cause of why he was there in the first place.
"Sure," Soojung rolled her eyes and chuckled before Jinki wrapped his arms around her and hugged her very tightly.
"J-jinki, I... I can't... breathe." Soojung tried so hard to talk. He was kind of suffocating her, in a good way.
"Sorry, sorry." Jinki pulled away and patted her head.
"Can I go back to my work now?" Soojung asked raising an eyebrow.
"No! We're celebrating!" Jinki held onto her arm so she wouldn't go.
"B-but—"
"You can't say no to your boyfriend." Jinki grinned and so Soojung sighed.
 
"You never enjoyed going out before. What's up with the sudden change?" Soojung asked as they walked towards an ice cream shop.
"I've always enjoyed going out but not with other people. It's just that... I really enjoy your company." Jinki shyly responded as he walked in the shop. Soojung froze for a second but not for too long. She was happy with what she heard. She didn't know she was that entertaining to a guy who enjoys being alone.
"Hey, Soojung, what flavors do you want?" Jinki turned his head.
 
They ate their ice cream on their way back to the coffee shop. Jinki couldn't help but think of Minho. He was asking himself why Minho was there. But rather than worrying, he just asked Soojung.
 
"What was Minho really doing there anyway?"
"He found out where I'm working and he paid a visit. Why did you ask?" Soojung asked and her ice cream.
"Nothing," Jinki did the same.
"You're really jealous of Minho, aren't you? Admit it!" Soojung kept insisting. She was just taking her revenge since Jinki always mocked her on liking him.
"I am not jealous. Please." Jinki denied.
"I'm just worried about you. I mean, what if you still like him after all this time? You might get hurt." Jinki was partly telling the truth. Because, in all honesty, he was really jealous and he didn't know why.
"I know when I like a boy or not. And I don't like Minho anymore so you don't have to worry and get jealous. I'm a very loyal girlfriend." Soojung proudly said and Jinki smiled.
"You just need to pay me more money to secure my loyalty." Soojung joked that made Jinki laugh.
"I didn't know you're this greedy. Was I wrong on hiring you?"
 
"Thanks for the ice cream and good luck on your first day tomorrow!" Soojung said before she waved at him and entered the shop.
 
They didn't make much rules though. They just talked about the money and the period but they forgot about the limit. Their limits. Like maybe, no one should fall for the other. No, they didn't even include that because probably, deep inside, they already felt like it was too late to put that rule.
 

 

I like this chapter too. ahahaha.

Nothing much to say but thanks for all the subscribers if ever you're reading this. And please do leave a comment once in a while

thank you

xdorkyx

x