six

Hired Girlfriend
Saturday came. Jinki didn't want to get up from his bed. He didn't have any plan to go to that restaurant. He wanted to call Qian and tell her he was sick but then it would be another lie and he didn't want to tell another lie so he took a deep breath, got up and prepared himself for that awful day.
 
...
 
Soojung woke up early for work. Sunyoung was giving her "the look" while they were having breakfast and she completely knew why she was doing that.
 
"What is it, Sunyoung?" Soojung asked as if she didn't know.
"Jinki called me last night. He told me he wanted to apologize but you wouldn't answer his calls."
"What do you want me to do?" Soojung stopped from eating.
"Talk to him... or better yet, do what he's asking you to do." Sunyoung stopped as well and put her arms across her chest leaning at the back of her chair.
"I can't do that."
"Come on, Soojung. He's Lee Jinki. He never asks much from me, from you, from anyone. He's always the one giving. And think of all the things he has done. If he was to ask me, I'd instantly say 'yes' but Qian knows I've got a boyfriend. Soojung, it's just a small favor." Sunyoung did her best to convince her. Jinki didn't ask her to do anything but she really wanted to help him.
"And... you'll most likely feel guilty if you don't do it for him." Sunyoung added before she continued eating.
 
Soojung went to work but from the moment she rode the bus until she entered the cafe, all she could think about was Sunyoung's words. She knew the older girl was right. Jinki always gave and he never got anything in return. He never asked and now that he needed help, no one could help him, apart from her.
 
"I think you should do it." Jinri was in the coffee shop to visit her friend. Soojung still told her everything that was happening  to her even if they didn't hang out much for the past few days.
"Why don't you do it? You're single." Soojung sat at the table.
"But he didn't ask me. He asked you." Jinri emphasized then Soojung sighed.
"Do I really have to?" She raised her eyebrows.
"You did say you'd do ANYTHING so it's kinda your fault. But yes, of course, I think you should do it." Jinri was having fun seeing her best friend suffering. Soojung sighed again.
"Okay~"
"Okay? Then go tell your boss you're leaving and we'll play dress-up!" Jinri pushed her away.
 
Soojung knocked on the office door and Siwon let her in.
 
"Siwon, I know I just started working here but I really have an emergency right now."
"Emergency?"
"Yes, I have to be Jinki's fake girlfriend today and I will be late if I don't leave now and honestly, I don't know what to do so can you please let me go just this once? I'll work tomorrow to make up for today's absence." Soojung didn't make up any excuse cos she knew if she lied it would only lead to problems like what happened to Jinki.
"If it's because of Jinki, then go."
"Really? Thank you so much. I'll see you tomorrow." She bowed and left the room to change.
"Jinki's fake girlfriend? Sounds interesting." Siwon smirked and continued his work.
 
"Let's go, Jinri." Soojung pulled her friend out.
 
They went to Soojung's apartment and rummaged Soojung's cabinet to find something to wear. It was only Jinri who was searching because Soojung was slumping on her bed and was completely clueless of what she was going to do and why she would do that ridiculous thing.
 
Jinri then threw a cute floral minidress at her that brought her back to her senses.
 
"What the? Why do I have to put on a dress?" Soojung furrowed her eyebrows. She didn't want to look too cute.
"To look cute." But that was what Jinri want her to look.
"Hurry up and get dressed!" Jinri pulled her up from her bed and pushed her to the bathroom.
 
Soojung got out and brushed her hair but Jinri insisted on curling it up a little. She hesitated. It wasn't a real date, she thought that she didn't have to dress up all nicely. But Jinri was stronger than her so she was able to pull her back into the bathroom and grabbed the hair iron. Jinri then put some blush-on on Soojung's cheeks and a baby pink lipstick. To finish up her look were cute skyblue pumps. Soojung was so cute and she was never going to that image but she actually didn't mind the result. It was okay. She looked really pretty. She had not put on a proper make up and she had not dressed up nicely for almost a month since she was always stressed out.
 
...
 
Jinki blowdried his hair and put on a nice blue polo shirt and a pair of jeans. He was still hesitant of going but he felt like he had no choice but to face his own problem.
 
He rode the bus to the restaurant because he wanted to walk around the town centre after the expected terrible lunch. He took a very  deep breath before going in. He looked around trying to find Qian. By the glass window, he saw her waving with a smile and so he walked toward her.
 
"Hey, Qian." He bowed and greeted.
"Hello, Jinki." He heard a very familiar husky voice that made him look at where the voice was coming from.
"Choi Minho?" Jinki looked at him oddly. He was sitting at Qian's right side by the window. He just sat across them before asking any question.
 
"Ah, so it's Minho. Qian, you didn't have to invite me to lunch. You could've just told me. You, too, you frog." He mocked Minho. He honestly didn't expect them to be together but he didn't mind.
"I just really want to introduce him as my boyfriend, that's all."
"Ah, you want to brag about your good-looking boyfriend." Jinki wouldn't stop teasing them.
 
"Where's your girlfriend by the way?" Qian finally asked the scariest question. Jinki gulped. He didn't know how to answer.
"Actually, I don—"
"I'm here! Sorry I'm late." Soojung came in running.
 
"Jung Soojung?!" The couple were both very shocked that their jaws were hanging.
"Jung Soojung~" Jinki uttered and smiled. He was really relieved that she came.
"Come, sit." Jinki pulled her chair for her.
"Thank you,"
 
Jinki just looked and stared at Soojung while Soojung did the same. His eyes were basically telling her "thank you" and hers were responding "you're very welcome", before they looked at the couple. Soojung immediately saw Minho. He just smiled at her when their eyes met.
 
"So you two? Really?" Qian couldn't form a proper question because she was still really in awe.
"Yeah, I guess so." Jinki looked at Soojung before looking back at Qian.
"What do you mean?" Sooyeon tilted her head a little and creased her forehead.
"Well, I told Soojung about this lunch the other day. If she comes, it means that we're officially boyfriend and girlfriend. And if not, then I'll just pity myself." Jinki had a half smile as he told his side of the story.
"I was kinda hesitant to come 'cos I just got a new job and I don't want to lose it that fast but... but I really like Jinki so I begged my boss to let me go today and not to fire me immediately." Soojung explained looking at Jinki.
 
Jinki thought it was a really great story because it was half real, half fake.
 
Their waiter arrived and took their orders.
 
"Shall we order seafood lasagna? Or do you want chicken sausage risotto again?" Jinki was consulting Soojung.
"No, no. I'll have whatever you'll have." Soojung smiled.
"Ah, Soojung-aing, I told you to stop copying me." He and so she slapped his arm.
"I am not copying you. Well, right now, yes, kind of." Soojung pouted that made Jinki chuckle.
 
"We'll have this then for the main course. And classic tiramisù for dessert, thank you." Jinki handed the menu to the waiter and Soojung gave him two thumbs up for the dessert choice. Jinki grinned and patted her head.
 
Minho and Qian were staring at them the whole time and when they noticed the eyes piercing them they stopped and looked at the real couple.
 
"We're like this all the time. Right, Soojung-aing?" Jinki baby-talked so cutely that made Soojung giggled.
"Isn't he adorable?"
 
"S-so, how did, uh, how did you two happen? I remember Amber telling me about going out with you two, like, a month ago and how it felt like a date but then you were just hanging out." Qian started asking questions again. She was really curious.
"I didn't know that. What was that about?" Minho agreed.
"Oh yeah. Actually, that's when it all started. Amber kept going on how it seemed like a double date and how we looked perfect together so I decided to ask her out that same day." Jinki told the story as if it really happened.
"I honestly don't know why but I instantly said yes. I must be out of my mind back then. Perhaps until now, I am." Soojung immediately added. Qian and Minho were actually believing every single word they were saying because it really seemed like they were telling the truth and just by the way they looked at each other, especially when they answer, it made it all convincing.
 
"What about you two? When did it all start? You've known each other for, what, six years?" Jinki asked. He was worried that the two might think that lunch was about him and Soojung when it was actually about Qian and Minho.
"We... We honestly don't know." The two didn't really know what to answer.
 
"I'm really curious about you two. You didn't even talk much before, you were barely even friends." Qian turned everything around again.
"Did you know about...?" Minho raised his eyebrows.
"About how you rejected Soojung? I was the first one to know. I was the first one she talked to. We got rejected on the same day and we got closer after that," Jinki paused and looked at Soojung.
"Maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe it's destiny. Who knows? Things do happen for a reason."
 
The more they made up stuffs, the more they believed at their own lies. Both were thinking that everything they were saying was starting to become real. Like everything wasn't a lie anymore.
 
"Our orders are here!" Soojung exclaimed.
 
Qian and Minho were the surprised ones. They weren't expecting the two to get close because of what they had done to them for their own happiness. But right that moment, it seemed like Jinki and Soojung were happier than them. Not that they didn't deserve to be happy. They deserved it more than anyone else but maybe they were much happier than they expected.
 
"We had a really wonderful time with you. But sadly, we have to go. I want to have my girlfriend all to myself for the rest of the day." Jinki grabbed Soojung's left hand.
"Bye, guys. Until next time." Soojung waved with her free hand.
 
They walked away from the restaurant and when they were far enough, they stopped. Jinki had also let go of Soojung's hand. They were silent for a while but Jinki had to speak up.
 
"What made you come?" He asked.
"The regret and guilt that I didn't want to feel later on." Soojung answered half-jokingly.
"I came to get things over with and so I don't owe you anything anymore. Happy?"
 
Then it became quiet again.
 
"The company called yesterday." Jinki stated. He almost forgot to tell that to Soojung.
"And?"
"They said they're not looking for anyone at the moment."
"You know they're lying when they say that, right?"
"I know." Jinki sighed. He was happy a moment ago but when he remembered about that, he just became really lonely.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I wanted to but you were ignoring my calls the whole day yesterday. I even left you some voice messages but I  doubt that you even checked them."
"I actually deleted everything that you sent yesterday. Sorry." Soojung apologized and bit her lower lip.
"No, I'm sorry for bothering you for the past few days, sorry for imploring you. And thank you so much for coming today. You owe me nothing now." Jinki knew it was only right to apologize as well and be grateful for everything she had done.
 
"I've got an idea. I'll make this the happiest day of your life!" Soojung jumped a little.
"I've got a better idea. Since we're already pretending, let's go on a 'date' for the rest of the day." Jinki suggested raising a brow.
"If that will make you happy."
"Shall we go to the shopping center and buy some luxurious things for my Soojung?" Jinki offered his left arm.
"I wouldn't say no to that." Soojung wrapped her arm around his.
 
"You look really pretty by the way. Not that you look ugly before, just, you look extra pretty today, prettier than the usual." Jinki just had to say it. And it wasn't bad to compliment a girl.
"You're lying." Soojug rolled her eyes.
"I am not."
"You lied to Qian and Minho. You're probably lying right now too."
"I would never lie to you. I haven't even told you one lie. I've always told you the truth so believe me when I say you're pretty. No, you're beautiful." Jinki said and Soojung could feel her blood rising up to her head. She felt her cheeks burn up but good thing her blush-on was covering her blushing cheeks.
 
They went to the department store and went window shopping. Jinki had a weird fashion sense that when he picked stuff for Soojung, she would always laugh because of his ridiculous choices. He was better with food than with clothes. Soojung kept telling him to hang out with Kibum more so he'd understand fashion more. Jinki was able to point out some good choices but Soojung would say she didn't like them even if she actually did. She just thought that Jinki had wasted enough money on her. The advanced rent pay, all the movies and meals, everything. But Jinki felt like he just had to give her something. Any sort of thank you gift. So while she was in the ladies' room, he sneaked into a jewelry shop to buy something for her.
 
"Let's watch a movie!" Jinki pulled her to the cinemas. Soojung could've said "no" but Jinki was happy that way, pulling her wherever. So she just went with it. They watched an animation film because Jinki had always wanted to watch that film. Soojung enjoyed the movie as well. It was really cute and funny. Like Jinki. That was truly the perfect movie for Jinki because it perfectly matched him.
 
"Do you want to have dinner at the ramyeon stall?" Jinki asked and Soojung nodded.
 
The place was already noisy but they made it even noisier with their banter. Jinki kept teasing Soojung on how she looked too well-dressed to be in a place like that. But Soojung would say the same to him. They were practically complimenting each other without their knowledge.
 
In the middle of their meal though, Jinki just stared at her for a while. Soojung noticed. And then he leaned in closer and closer and closer until their faces were less than an inch away. Soojung's cheeks were burning up again. She didn't know why he was doing that and to think that they were surrounded by so many people.
 
"What are you doing?" Soojung pushed his chest.
"There's something on your hair." Jinki said before he leaned in again and blew her fringe, just above her eyebrows.
"And now it's gone."
"What the?" Soojung frowned before she continued eating.
 
"Jung Soojung, when you saw them together, what entered your mind?" Jinki asked while they were sitting on the back of the bus together.
"Nothing, really. I was just surprised but I didn't feel any kind of jealousy. I was alright with it. I guess, I don't have feelings for Minho anymore."
"Me too. I mean, I don't have feelings for Qian anymore." Jinki cleared and Soojung laughed.
"That's good." Soojung said as she stopped from laughing.
"What do you mean by that? Are you relieved because you can finally have me all to yourself?" Jinki nudged her a little. He was teasing her again.
"Again with this story, Jinki? Really?" Soojung glared at him.
"Just admit that you're in love with me." Jinki rolled his eyes and so Soojung snorted.
"You wish. I'm not a very good liar, you know." Soojung rolled her eyes as well.
"Yes, I know that. That's why I can tell that you're in love with me." Soojung gritted her teeth and punched his arm.
"I hate you, Lee Jinki." Soojung stood up because they were already on their stop.
"No. You adore me because I'm adorable. Didn't you say so earlier?" Jinki had no plan on stopping but Soojung just ignored his childishness.
 
"So, Jinki, is this the best day of your life?" Soojung changed their topic as they walked toward the girls's apartment.
"Maybe... just one of the best days of my life."
"Yeah, mine too... even if I pretended to be your girlfriend." Soojung walked ahead of him.
"I had so much fun, really." She added turning her head a little for Jinki to catch a view of her contented face.
"It was fun playing with you." She admitted before she started walking into the apartment.
 
"Wait, Soojung." Jinki grabbed her left arm and turned her body to face him.
"Hmm?" Soojung raised her eyebrows out of curiosity. But Jinki just pulled a silver lace out of his pocket and leaned over to Soojung. Soojung furrowed her eyebrows not knowing what Jinki was doing but she realized he was putting a necklace around her neck. And when he finally stepped back, she looked at the pendant. It was a red gold heart pendant. She stared at it for a moment before she looked at Jinki with amused eyes.
 
"Hey, Jinki. You're not my boyfriend. Why are you giving me this?" It's not like she didn't like it. She liked it a lot actually. She just thought that it was too much.
"Just a 'thank you' gift and..... so I'll always be close to your heart." Jinki grinned showing his white teeth and scratching the back of his head.
"Thank you, Jinki. It's really beautiful." Soojung looked at the pendant again.
"Like you, Soojung." Jinki whispered.
"Huh?"
"I said, goodnight, Soojung."
"Goodnight, Jinki." She went in with her right hand holding onto the pendant.
 
Soojung went in with a dazed smile on her face and Sunyoung immediately noticed her.
 
"How was the date?" Sunyoung lowered the volume down of the TV.
"Great. Really great." Soojung was still smiling and still fiddling with her necklace.
"Oooh. Someone had a great time. Don't tell me it's not a play of pretend anymore? Did you fall for Jinki?" Sunyoung suspected.
"What are you talking about? That's impossible." But Soojung denied.
"That's not impossible. Jinki isn't that hard to like. I honestly had a huge crush on him before. Why can't you?" Sunyoung admitted still with a suspicious look.
"I don't know, Sunyoung. I'm going to sleep. I have to work tomorrow because of that guy." Soojung went to her bedroom to grab her clothes and changed in the bathroom.
 
Once she was ready for bed, she jumped on her bed and lied on her side. She had already taken off the necklace  but she was still holding onto it and staring at it trying to recall everything that happened that day. All that she remembered were Jinki's words and how they all seemed real even if they were all just lies. She remembered Jinki's smile and how he looked at her when he told his made-up stories. She remembered Jinki's face and how close it was to hers that she was practically breathing in the breath he was breathing out.
 
"What the heck, Jung Soojung?! What are you thinking?!" Soojung put down the necklace on the side table and adjusted her position to finally sleep.
 
...
 
Jinki got home and rushed to Taemin's side on the sofa. He layed his head on the younger boy's lap and watched TV with him.
 
"Did you tell Qian the truth?" Taemin asked.
"Nope." Jinki proudly answered.
"Eh?!" Taemin looked at Jinki really oddly.
"Soojung came. Change the channel. I don't like this show." Jinki smiled.
"Soojung came?" Jonghyun's head suddenly popped from the bathroom door.
"Yup. She was amazing. She played her part really well I almost believed her myself." Jinki answered as his smile grew brighter. Jonghyun tilted his head and creased his forehead before he walked out of the bathroom and stood right in front of the two covering their view of the TV.
"What's that supposed to mean, Jinki? Did you feel that you actually like her?" Jonghyun asked and Taemin just looked down at his hyung to hear his answer.
"Whaaat?! I didn't say that!" Jinki sat up like he was so surprised of Jonghyun's question.
"Yeah, but that's what you're trying to say. Do you like Soojung?" Taemin was thinking the same as Jonghyun.
"I don't know where you're going with this but I don't like it. I'm gonna sleep." Jinki stood up and walked away from them.
 
Jinki brushed his teeth and in the process, he kept thinking of the younger boys' suspicions. They thought that he was starting to like Soojung while he, on the other hand, thought that it was impossible. Then Soojung suddenly came to his mind. She looked really cute on her floral dress and with her hair curled a little. Somehow, she amused Jinki. He didn't know she was capable of acting like his real girlfriend that even he doubted if she was just acting or not. But what amused him most was the fact that she was able to make him forget all his worries just for a day. Well, she had always had ever since they became friends. He thought that he was the only one that was always trying to make things fun when they were together but the truth was Soojung was trying too. She always tried to smile as well, like him. He smiled when he remembered her smile. The way she looked at him when she was telling her side of the story and when she said she likedhim. Her face when it was close to his. Her lip— WHAT THE HECK, JINKI???! he wiped the toothpaste foam on his mouth and rushed to the bedroom. He lied down and covered his head with the blanket and closed his eyes really tightly hoping that he could sleep immediately.
 

 

Just my favorite chapter! haha. I lo-lo-love this. *pat my own back*

Have you heard? SHINee's gonna have a solo concert in Tokyo Dome!!! Babies cried so much from too much happiness yesterday. Ah, I am so proud of my boys and I am so happy for them. It's a dream come true.

xdorkyx

x