twelve

Hired Girlfriend
Amber wasn't the type who gossips but she felt like she needed to tell about it to her other friends especially to those who she thought was involved. Kibum, on the other hand, went out to meet Minho after his classes(even if he didn't want to do it).
 
"Did you really break up because of Jinki?" Kibum asked as soon as they sat down after ordering their coffee.
"No. We broke up because she couldn't control her feelings. And she wouldn't admit it when it was already so obvious." Minho answered.
"Jinki didn't do anything wrong. I just can't date someone who obviously likes someone else." Minho added as he leaned bak to his seat.
"Kibum, Qian was acting oddly. You saw that too, right? It's not just me." Minho needed to confirm that it wasn't just him seeing Qian's strange behavior. Kibum was hesitating but he nodded. He saw it as well.
"I really, really like Qian but I'm not blind, Kibum."
"Yeah, I know what you mean." Kibum knew that Minho was in the right.
 
Their chat wasn't that long because there was nothing to talk about. With only few words said, Kibum easily understood that Minho was the right one and not Qian. He just needed to report that to Amber.
 
When Kibum arrived home, Amber was there with Jinri and Sunyoung. Soojung was at work so they planned to go there to tell her what happened. Kibum went with them because he didn't want to feel left out.
 
...
 
"Good evening. I'm looking for Jinki."
"Uh, if I may ask. Who are you?" Heechul was in charge of the front desk during that time and they had an unfamiliar visitor.
"Is Jinki's hired girlfriend ready to pick him—you're not Soojung." Jungsoo just got out of the storage room. He assumed it was Soojung when he heard someone looking for Jinki.
"I'm Qian. Wait, sir, did you just say 'hired girlfriend'?" Those words didn't escape Qian. Heechul and Jungsoo looked at each other and they instantly knew that Qian didn't know about it.
"Hired? No, no. I said 'hyper girlfriend'. Why would Jinki hire a girlfriend? He's one fine man. I'm sure many other girls are swooning over him." Jungsoo hurriedly thought of a word that kind of had the same sound and an excuse.
"Uh, Qian, right? I'm sure he's going down any minute now since it's almost 7. Just wait here, okay?" Jungsoo said before he went upstairs. He ran to Jinki's tiny office and told him who was there.
 
"Jinki, there's a lady named Qian downstairs and why doesn't she know about your fake relationship with Soojung?" Jungsoo was kinda worried that he might have ruined Jinki's life for the word slip.
"Qian? Oh no. Why? Did you tell her about me and Soojung?"
"I mentioned the word 'hired' but took it back immediately. I made it appear that she just misheard what I said. So I'm sorry if I slipped. Who is she by the way?" Jungsoo couldn't help but asked.
"To make the story short, she's the reason why I hired Soojung to be my fake girlfriend. I'm sorry, Jungsoo if you got caught up in this." Jinki started to clear out his desk and putting his things in his bag.
"No, it's okay. But I've got the solution for you."
"Really?" Jinki got interested.
"Make your relationship real."
"Eh?"
"Make your relationship with Soojung real. Date her for real." Jungsoo stated and so Jinki just went back to what he was doing.
"That's... I don't know."
"Come on, Jinki. You two practically act like real lovers. And... and don't you like her?" Jungsoo knew he was crossing the line. He knew he was going too personal with his statements and questions but somehow he knew he was also going to the right way.
"I do. I like her." Jinki answered as he zipped his bag.
"Not just as a friend, but as a woman." Jungsoo cleared. Jinki froze for a second. He didn't know what to respond. He just shook his head.
"Good night, Jungsoo. I'll see you tomorrow." Jinki bowed before he left the room.
 
When he went down, he saw Qian sitting on he couch in the lobby. He walked towards her and she smiled when she saw him.
 
"Qian, hey."
"Hey,"
"Uh, Heechul. I'm going." He said his goodbye to Heechul and went out of the building with Qian behind him.
 
"What are you doing here?" Jinki opened the car door for her.
"I met a friend nearby and thought of visiting you at work. Did I come too late?" Qian settled in.
"Kind of but it's alright." Jinki got in the car as well and started the car.
"They know Soojung. Does she come here often?" Qian was back to asking those kinds of questions again.
"Yeah. Sometimes she has lunch with us in the office. Whenever I'm working overtime, she would hang out with me. They don't mind since my bosses adore her so much." Jinki replied as he started driving.
"Ah. So are you going to the coffee shop where Soojung works?"
"I was planning to," Jinki admitted.
"But I should send you home first. It's getting dark."
"No, it's okay. Let's go to the coffee shop. I want to see Soojung too." Qian smiled widely. So Jinki turned the car to the opposite way.
 
...
 
Jinri, Sunyoung and Amber begged Siwon to borrow Soojung for ten minutes since they had something really important thing to tell her. When they said it involved the made-up relationship, he then gave in because that was a serious matter.
 
"I wouldn't get paid if you take my time. Sunyoung, don't blame me if I can't give you my share on the rent." Soojung was, of course, more worried of her job than anything else that moment. She was just working part-time and she got lesser pay compared to working full-time. Her money would never be enough unless Jinki gives her a raise for pretending to be his girlfriend. She laughed silently with that thought.
"Qian and Minho broke up." Amber put it down right away that made Soojung widen her eyes.
"Say what?"
"Yeah, and it's because Minho KNOWS that Qian likes Jinki." Sunyoung whispered since they were surrounded by many people and that maybe one of them knew Qian or Minho.
"Qian likes Jinki?" She asked shocked and they all nodded.
"Soojung, you need to make a move fast before Qian steals Jinki away from you." Kibum finally spoke up.
"What?"
"Don't you like Jinki? Just ask him out yourself because obviously he's too shy to do it." Jinri suggested and the others agreed but Soojung just had a confused face expression.
"Wait, wait, wait. You think I like Jinki?"
"Nope. We KNOW you like Jinki." They all answered in chorus that kind of surprised Soojung.
"I... I don't." Soojung denied but they all just gave her the we know the truth so don't deny it look.
 
"R-really, I-I don't. And so what if Qian likes him? Jinki doesn't like Qian anymore." Soojung looked away from everyone because she didn't want them to read her eyes because it seemed like they had some super powers of reading her mind through her eyes.
"What if Jinki starts liking her again? Huh?" Sunyoung stressed it out. Soojung didn't know why but that scared her a little.
 
"Oh, goodie! You're all here!" They heard Qian's voice that made them all jump from their seats.
"Hey, guys." But they were even more surprised when they saw Jinki with her who was awkwardly smiling.
"Okay, guys. My break time's over. What would you like to order?" Soojung stood up from the table and Qian took her seat.
 
Soojung took their orders although she knew they weren't really planning to eat anything but they were forced since Qian arrived. When she brought their orders, she didn't stand by there and just exchanged places with a co-worker so she could work at the counter and at the same time observe her friends, most especially Qian. She watched the way she acted beside Jinki. She was smiling. She was really happy as if she didn't just break up with Minho. Soojung could also see how she kept glancing at Jinki and how she kept laughing whenever Jinki spoke or how she kept asking for his attention. Does she really like, Jinki? She asked herself.
 
"Jung Soojung! There are customers." Seulgi had to shout since she was spacing out.
 
An hour later, they all finally finished their chitchat and their food and decided to go home.
 
"Kibum, drive them all home. Be careful." Jinki said as he patted Kibum's arm.
"You're not gonna go home yet?" Qian asked with a sad expression.
"Not yet. I'm gonna wait for Soojung." Jinki answered. Well, he did go there for Soojung.
"Oh, okay. Good night."
"Night, night, Jinki." Jinri waved at him.
"Choi Jinri, Jonghyun's looking for you. Please, answer back to his calls and messages." Jinki wasn't just teasing her but Jonghyun was really bugging him about Jinri.
"Tell him I'll visit his studio tomorrow."
"Tell him that yourself."
 
Jinki then went to the counter and stared at Soojung with a sneaky smile.
 
"What?" Soojung had an annoyed tone. Jinki just continued on staring.
"Move. Customers are coming in." Soojung pushed him aside.
"Are you mad? You're mad. Why are you mad?" Jinki could tell.
"I am not mad. Go away. I have customers. Why don't you leave and come back once I'm done? Bye." Soojung pushed her away again.
 
Jinki followed what she said and went out for a few minutes but came back in again because he didn't want to walk around the premises. He didn't want to help and work because he was already exhausted from his own work so he just hung out with Siwon in his office. Well, actually, he just slept there for an hour and a half. Since he's working full-time now, his job wasn't as easy as before. He had bigger responsibilities. Tiring responsibilities.
 
"Soojung, wake you fake boyfriend up in my office or we'll leave him here." Siwon told Soojung when she got out the changing room.
"Why didn't you wake him up?"
"He looked so peaceful. I can't. So, please do it." Siwon pushed her to the office and she sighed.
 
She saw him sitting on Siwon's chair with his head leaning on his arm on the table.
 
"Jinki. Lee Jinki." Soojung was a little scared to wake him up because she remembered she'd get tickled if she did.
"Jinki, wake up. It's time to go home." Soojung neared her face as she poked his soft cheek. He crinkled his nose.
"Jin—" she poked it again but then he grabbed her hand and opened his eyes. Jinki was just staring at her but she wasn't afraid. She just stared back at him as if his eyes were pulling her.
"You have a mole on your face." Jinki stated and blinked.
"Yeah, since birth." Soojung rolled her eyes and pulled her hand away.
"Get up! Let's go home." Soojung walked away and Jinki hurriedly followed her out.
 
Soojung got in the car and put on her seatbelt without talking while Jinki was the one who kept talking and telling her how tired he was but at the same time he was happy because he was finally doing what he dreamt of. Soojung was just looking out the window motionless on her seat.
 
"You're mad at me. Did I do something wrong?" Jinki asked and stopped the car.
"I told you I'm not." Soojung answered still with irritation with her tone.
"I won't restart the car unless you tell me the truth." Jinki put his arms across his chest.
"Why were you with Qian earlier?" Soojung finally asked what had been bothering her for a while.
"That's it? That's what you're mad about?" Jinki snorted.
"Answer my question, please."
"She passed by the company just when I was about to leave. I told her I was going to the coffee shop and she insisted to come with me. Happy?" Jinki explained in one go.
"Wait, are you jealous?" Jinki had a teasing look.
"No. Just drive. I wanna go home and sleep." She ordered.
"Admit that you're jealous then I'll start driving." Jinki offered a deal.
"But I'm not jealous so drive." Soojung poked his arm and pointed on the road. But Jinki only shook his head.
 
Soojung just rolled her eyes and stayed quiet for a few seconds but she couldn't take not telling him what she was thinking so she spoke up.
 
"Qian and Minho broke up." Soojung started and Jinki turned his head to look at her.
"She didn't tell you, did she?" Soojung looked back at Jinki. He shook his head.
"They were all telling me that you were the reason." Soojung continued and Jinki just got confused.
"How?"
"Because Qian likes you. And Minho probably couldn't take the sight of his girlfriend looking at someone else."
"Qian likes me? How is that even possible? Qian doesn't like me. She made it clear when she rejected me a few months ago and you know that." Jinki couldn't believe Soojung's words.
"I saw it too, Jinki. I saw how she looked at you earlier." Soojung was really getting annoyed because Jinki was acting ignorant.
"Why are you getting mad, then?" Jinki could feel the tension.
"Because I don't want you to make a mistake. You might like her again."
"How is liking Qian again be a mistake?" Jinki creased his forehead. Soojung just looked angrily at Jinki. She couldn't think of any answer or reason. He was right. It wasn't wrong for him to like Qian again.
"Are you saying you like her again?" Soojung turned around everything.
"What if I was?" Jinki raised an eyebrow and smirked.
 
"I... I don't care. It's your life. Can we go now? If you don't start the car, I'll just take the bus." Soojung was going to take off the seatbelt but Jinki stopped her by blocking her hands with his.
"Soojung, don't worry. I'm not that stupid to like Qian again. And I will never like her again." Jinki smiled and shook his head.
"How are you so sure?" Soojung still didn't trust his words.
"Because... because I..." Jinki paused and looked at his hands over Soojung's. Then he looked straight to Soojung's eyes.
 
"Make your relationship with Soojung real. Date her for real."
"Come on, Jinki. You two practically act like real lovers. And... and don't you like her?"
"Not just as a friend, but as a woman." 
 
Jungsoo's words suddenly echoed in his head. Do I like her? Do I really like you, Jung Soojung? He asked himself and gulped.
 
"Because?" Soojung snapped him out.
"Because I..." Jinki thought it through. Soojung waited for his response with anticipation. Jinki sighed and closed his eyes for a second before he opened them and answered.
"Because I already like someone else." He finally said it. He finally admitted it to himself. Soojung's mouth formed an "O".
"Really?"
"Uhuh. Yeah. Let's go. It's really getting late. Your classes start at 8, right?" Jinki pulled away his hand and put it on the gear. Then he started the car again and drove.
"Hey, tell me her name. Who is she? Or is it a he?" Soojung suddenly got so interested.
"You don't need to know. Unless you admit you were jealous earlier." Jinki brought back their initial topic.
"If I told you I was jealous, would you really tell me who's the girl?"
"No." Jinki simpy answered and laughed.
"Ah, whatever. I'll know soon for sure." Soojung rolled her eyes and slumped on her seat.
 
Soojung entered the apartment and found Sunyoung with Jinri in their pajamas on the sofa. They were waiting for her to come home because apparently they had not finished with their talk. Amber wanted to be there as well but Kibum stopped her and said that the younger girls could deal with Soojung.
 
Soojung took off her shoes and put on a pair of fluffy slippers before she walked towards her friends.
 
"You guys are right." Soojung babbled as she sat down on the floor. Sunyoung and Jinri looked at each other before they both looked at Soojung.
"Qian likes Jinki." Soojung said and sighed.
"That's what we were telling you earlier."
"Yeah. I didn't want to believe you but I... I saw how she looked at him." Soojung tried to recall the scene earlier. She could imagine Qian and Jinki.
"It was the same look I used to give Minho." She added as she closed her eyes still thinking of the same scene plus some scenes of her and Minho in the past.
"And it's the same look you're giving Jinki now." Jinri said that made Soojung open her eyes. She blinked a couple of times since her sight was blurry and once her vision was clear, she glanced at her best friend.
"What did you say?"
"I said... It's the same look you're giving Jinki now. Soojung, I'm always with you and Jinki. I can see how you always look at him with bright eyes. Like you said, it was the same look you used to give Minho. I saw how you looked at him and I'm seeing it again but this time, it's not Minho anymore." Jinri clarified because, of course, Soojung obviously wasn't aware of her ways of looking at Jinki. Even Jonghyun and Taemin could justify it. They were always the witnesses.
"Do I really...?" Soojung raised both of her eyebrows as if she was completely clueless of her actions. Sunyoung and Jinri nodded.
 
"So are you finally admitting that you like Jinki?" Sunyoung asked.
"I didn't say anything like that." Soojung rolled her eyes before she stood up and started walking towards her bedroom.
"Come on, Soojung. Stop denying it." Jinri followed her.
"And I'm not denying anything either." Soojung giggled and ran to her room.
 
Jinri looked back at Sunyoung and both of them smiled from ear to ear knowing exactly what Soojung meant.
 

 

promoting my TaeBer fanfic because I'm a freaking bastard. ahahhaha click me!!!! <- that's the link ahahhah

hope you're still enjoying this fanfic. 5 more chapters to go. bare with me here

love you all

 

xdorkyx

x