Chapter 3 - Ricsyung

Demon Appraiser

In a blink of an eye, it was time for Pilkyo's arranged marriage and he was to move in to the bride's family since she was the only child of the family. Pilkyo could not bear to leave Eric behind and despite his family's objection, he insisted to bring Eric over to his new family. Pilkyo was very unhappy in the new place and he walked Eric round the big yard daily till sometime, Eric refused to walk anymore.

About 10 years later, Pilkyo lie ill in bed and he could not take Eric out for walk anymore. After the doctor's check, Pilkyo contracted tuberculosis which was deadly in those days. The doctor mentioned that there was no cure for this disease and it was contagious. Hence, Pilkyo had to be quarantined off to prevent the spread of the disease. The family decided to sent Pilkyo back to his family.

In the middle of the night, Pilkyo cried in his bed due to the sufferings of his illness. It was the first time that Eric heard him cry. Eric jumped onto the bed and snuggled close to Pilkyo. Pilkyo hugged Erric tightly while his tears just dropped down.

Pilkyo said that his family arranged for this marriage because the bride's family was extremely wealthy and his family wanted to strengthen their position in the area. Pilkyo regretted to the marriage and landed up with his life coming to a sad end. Pilkyo cried badly which caused him to cough and panted for breathe.

Eric went berserk and rushed out of the room. He bit on Pilkyo's father-in-law's leg and refused to let go, no matter how the other hit him. Eventually, the patriarch of the family ordered someone to shoot Eric.

By then Eric was in his 20s and his power grew stronger. Eric swallowed the bullet and blasted flame from his mouth. It was the first time that Eric released his power and he could not control it. The house caught fire and it burnt for a day and a night. Everyone fled from the place except Pilkyo.

Eric rushed into Pilkyo's room and started to drag Pilkyo's collar, leading him to safety. Pilkyo gently rubbed Eric's head and smiled at him. Pilkyo told Eric that he had given up hope of living as he did not wish to endure further sufferings. Pilkyo said that he rather be burned to death than to await for Death to claim his life while he lie on his bed. Pilkyo took out a string from underneath his pillow and tied to Eric's front paw. Pilkyo pointed towards the door and urged Eric to escape.

"I am sorry Eric. I can't feed you, take you for a walk, play with you and talk to you anymore." Pilkyo cried.

Eric could not drag Pilkyo away and he howled towards the skies. Eric wished that he could attain his human form so that he would be able to carry Pilkyo away. However, Eric was still too young to attain human form and his dreary howls echoed in the burning compound.

Eric was fire type Demon and he was not scared of the fire. Eric stayed with Pilkyo and he up any flame that was burning to the room. Eric assumed that by doing so, he could save Pilkyo but the latter subcumb due to the heavy smoke. Eric watched in despair when the life form of Pilkyo disappeared little by little, till Pilkyo was motionless.

Eric was shocked, he Pilkyo's face, nudged his body and pawed on his head but Pilkyo remained unresponsive. Pilkyo looked as if he was deep in sleep but he would not be able to call out Eric in his smoothing voice, would not he able to feed Eric with weird looking food, would not be forcing Eric into the bath tub and would not be able to cuddle Eric anymore.....

Thereafter, another 80 years passed and Eric was able to transform into human. During those years, Eric roamed all over the mortal realm, from north to south and from east to west but still he returned here. Eric wanted to visit Pilkyo's grave but he did not know his way as he had been gone for a long time. Eric grabbed onto a passerby and wanted to seek for direction. When Eric opened his mouth, he realized that he could not utter a single word. He never know how to speak.

Eric walked around the alleys aimlessly till he saw a boy squatting in the side. He was feeding the stray dogs with food. Without any reason, Eric uttered the first word," Hi...."

The boy turned his head and Eric was lost for word and he cried. 80 years later, Eric found Pilkyo again.

The Pilkyo in this life was called Shin Hyesung. Hyesung came from a poor family and his parents were separated. Hyesung's mother worked as a cleaner and her meager pay barely support Hyesung and his siblings, not to mention to be able to send them to school.

Eric tried ways and means to get near to Hyesung and to the extent of renting his current unit which was next to Hyesung's place. He would visit Hyesung often and helped out Hyesung.

Hyesung felt bad at receiving Eric's help and asked him for reason. Initially, Eric replied that he was helping out as neighbors. Slowly, this reason could not stand and Eric mentioned that Hyesung resembled his best friend. While saying this, Eric's eyes redden.

Hyesung believed Eric and promised to be Eric's best friend forever.

Eric believed that he could guard over Hyesung in this life and seeing him to achieve his happiness by falling in love etc. Eric's wish was to see Hyesung's beautiful smile.

One day, Hyesung could not hold onto his keys. The keys kept dropping whenever Hyesung picked it up. Hyesung simply could not exert any strength. Hyesung was only 19 years old and he tore to Eric's place, knocking on his door.

"Eric, I can't hold onto anything! What is happening to me?" Hyesung was crying and trembling and Eric tried to calm him down.

Hyesung was sent to hospital and the doctor informed that Hyesung had Myasthenia gravis, some sort of neuromuscular illness. It was like a death sentence to Hyesung. Gradually, Hyesung became withdrawal and refused to step out of his house. Hyesung could no longer walk steady and one day he looked at Eric sadly," Am I going to die soon?"

"No, of course not!"

Hyesung smiled bitterly," I know that I can't be cured. I know because I learnt from the drama. First, I can't take anything, next I can't walk, next I would not be able to talk and finally, I will not be breathing."

Hyesung looked up at Eric and held his hand," Eric, when I am gone; please find someone else to be your best friend. It will be to find a beautiful girl to become your best friend. Later, the 2 of you will fall in love, get married, have children. It will be best to have son because I like boys. Your son will be like the Mini you, how cute...."

Hyesung bowed his head and his tears dropped into Eric's head," Please get a best friend after I die because.... I will be jealous... I know that I am selfish but I wanted to be more than best friend with you...."

"Hyesung, I will never find anyone." Eric vowed to cure Hyesung at any price.

I almost stopped breathing after hearing the story," Eric, so this was the reason that you wanted me to certify you as a Demon? You wanted to save Hyesung with your power?"

"I can't lose him again." Eric looked at me with tears b in his eyes. "Hyesung had no idea that I am a Demon. Can you.... can you keep it a secret from him?"

                                                                                 *********************************************************************

It was some time later that Minwoo informed me of this.

Though Eric was a young Demon, his demonic power assessment was graded as AAA and this would enable Eric to be absorbed into the elite squad. However, Minwoo also noted that after each assessment session, Eric's power somehow dropped a little.

Minwoo told me in a weird tone," Dongwan, do you know what happen?"

Being the specialist doctor of the Special Unit, Minwoo couldn't not know what happen to Eric. For me, I knew that with dropping of power meant that Eric had secretly used his power without authorization. There was no rule which forbid the use of power outside of their duties but it was clearly forbidden to use it on human being! 

I pretended to be stupid and tried to change the topic.

Minwoo yelled," Kim Dongwan! Do not think that I am not aware of everything! You tell Eric to stop whatever he is doing!"

I snorted and did not reply.

Using power to prolong a life is not any ordinary task. Going against the 'Way' required a price. A unit of power equate to a decrease in lifespan and this did not seem to be a fair deal! I just could not stop Eric from doing what he wanted to do and I am not that heartless to stop him.

A few months later, there was an outbreak at the border and the Internal Security Department was ordered to win the battle within a week. Hence, they deployed the new squad, Squad 7, as reinforcement, Eric was a member of this squad.

At that time, I was sent for an overseas assignment to assess a Demon. I knew of Eric being sent to the battle was about a month later. I heard of Eric's bravery and the flame that he spat out, made most of the Demons retreated in fear. You all had guessed it! Minwoo was the one who relayed all this information to me.

It was already been a month, far exceeded the target of 1 week but the news of victory seemed far away. A new order came: to settle the unrest as soon as possible. Now, it dawned on me why this battle was dragged for so long. The Demonic realm deployed one of their 4 Mysterious beasts - Hatred.

The 4 Mysterious beasts were ancient creatures of the Demonic realm. Since ancient time till now, they had wiped out almost half of the human population. During the millennium battle, the Demonic realm sent 2 of the 4 Mysterious Beasts - Vengence and Fear. That claimed the lives of 365 Demon slayers and nearly wiped out my kind. I could foresee the outcome of this battle.

I applied to go to the battle field but my application was rejected. Minwoo called me on the phone," Ya Kim Dongwan, it is not your turn to die and you better get it clear of your role here!"

My prediction came true. The government wanted the elite Squad to return back while Squad 7 was to remain and to prevent the battle from spreading out. It was clear that they intended Squad 7.

I could not sit and wait any longer. I emailed my application of long leave and secretly travel to the battle field which somewhere in Mt Everest. I was lucky to bump into a group of hikers at the foot of Mt Everest and I followed them for 2 days. It was the worst ordeal of my life and I bade farewell to the group when we parted way somewhere near to the mid of Mt Everest.

While I was resting, I bumped into the elite Squad and of course I saw Minwoo. He greeted me warmly before dragging me to aside harshly," What the Hell are you here? You think you have 9 lives?"

I smirked. Minwoo wanted to drag me off with him and the Squad but I refused. I even threatened to jump down if he coerced me. 

Minwoo had no choice but to order a flying Demon to send me to the summit which was some 6000 meters above sea level. There was the place where the shield could not reach. I was brought to a medical station near the submit and I saw a lot of injured Demons. Some of them broke their wings, eyes were injuries and.... I declined to reveal more.

As days passed, there was still no news of Squad 7 or rather Eric. I ventured out of the medical station where the shield was and I wondered if Eric was okay. He had someone waiting for him back home.

That day, a seriously injured member of Squad 7 collapsed at the medical station. And we finally receive an update which not a very good piece of news.

Squad 7 battled for weeks and finally injured Hatred's eyes, causing him to retreat to the Demonic realm. However, Hatred blasted out a last blow which killed every Demons of Squad 7. This sole surviving member escaped Death as he was at Hatred's back, planning a surprise attack....

Eric did not survive. After receiving information that the Demons retreated back into their territory, the elite Squad came to inspect on the battle field. Needless to say, I came along too.

There was 48 Demons in Squad 7 and 2 trainers. On the ground lie 49 of them. As the shield could not reach the battle ground, their true forms were revealed and it was a gruesome sight. I mourned in silent for 10 minutes before I went around to close their eyes, if they were still in an okay state.

I found Eric and he was at the furthest end and his body was mangled badly. The sole surviving member sighed," Eric was really fearless as he would alway be the first to charge. It was him who injured Hatred's eyes."

"He is truely a hero." Minwoo did a salute movement at Eric's remains.

"We yelled out to Eric not to charge recklessly as the opponent was Hatred! But he wouldn't heed our calls." The member chocked with his tears.

I squatted down and saw that Eric's eyes were wide opened and was looking at the string tied on his wrist. I could not control and my tears gushed out.

Eric ah, I knew why you were the first to charge at Hatred's eyes. Because you knew that by gouging out Hatred's eyes, it could increase your power and so you could sustain Hyesung's life!

I recalled Eric's last request to me.

"Hyesung did not know that I am a Demon... Can you keep it a secret...." There was another line which I did not want to help Eric.

"If I were to perish in the battle field one day, please inform Hyesung that I went abroad for work. Once, I had saved up enough money, I will come back for him."

I recalled that Eric was blushing when he said that sentences," I am serious! If I die, I will seek for Hyesung in my next life."

I stared at Eric's eyes which I could not close, no matter how many times I tried.

 

I am Kim Dongwan, a Demon Appraiser.

The 365 Demon Slayers who sacrificed their lives in the millennium battle, were from the 9 clan, including my clan, Kim. The 365 Demon slayers who perished included my parents and some of those whom I knew. They sacrificed their precious lives. I, Kim Dongwan, am the 98th and only descendant of my clan.

I had all the reason to hate the Demons!

Strangely, I just could not bring myself to hate the Demons. Because of Demon like Eric.

I knew that Demons existed but I would never admit it. This is my principle!