Chapter 12 - Kangteuk

Demon Appraiser

I received a notification from the top Management that Leteuk was going for his battle soon. It was strange because based on procedure and protocol, I need not be informed of Leteuk's battle. I did not have the authority even to ask or check on this matter!

This time round, it was not Minwoo who notified me but Mr Choi! He told me over the phone," Dongwan, this time I had to trouble you."

I shrieked silently in my heart and prayed very hard....

The bastard chicken was being extremely too much! He requested to the top Management that he insisted me to be his trainer and to guide him in his first battle.

What kind of sick joke was this?! I am not a trainer by profession and I had no knowledge or experience in this area and how the hell that I could guide him?

I answered Mr Choi," Sir, it is not that I had to  turn down this favour but I can't...."

Mr Choi chuckled," Don't worry, you just need to agree and I will settle the rest...."

I started to understand one thing: No matter how absurd and crazy requests that Leteuk made, the top Management would try their best to accede to it. Now, I clearly see the different treatment.

Mr Choi really honored his words. I did not have to guide Leteuk but I had to accompany him to the battlefield. Taking into consideration of my miserable life and my precious ability, I would remain inside the barrier shield.

Very soon, the date of the first battle for Leteuk came. It was in hot summer season and I was tagging along with the elite squad in the huge aircraft carrier, flying to the destination.I saw that Leteuk started shivering next to me and the Vice Captain of the squad was asking about Leteuk. I quickly lied to the Vice Captain that Leteuk had a weird habit of shaking his whole body when he was extremely excited and he would feel uneasy if he did not shake his body.

Everybody was roaring with laughters and so was Leteuk but his was a bitter smile. Leteuk whispered in my ear," Leteuk does not know why but felt frightened and Leteuk can't stop shivering."

I tried to make Leteuk calmed down but to no avail.

The battle ground was on a small island, in the eastern side and there was a lot of wolf Demons. These type of Demons were vicious, fast and expert in warfare plus they were really sticky opponents. Hence, this was the reason that the elite squad was assigned for this war.

Our strategy was to leap straight from our carrier so as to avoid being ambushed when we landed on the island. The elite squad was the least disciplined lot as each one of them was at least level 2. Being powerful, they could be arrogant but each of them could handle numerous enemies on their own, single handedly. When they leaped out of the carrier, all of them changed into their true forms, so did Leteuk. I remained on the carrier and I watched the battle through the powerful binoculars.

I spotted Leteuk and to my horror, he was standing there, looking confused! Oh my god.... Because Leteuk was dazed, he was soon being surrounded by a pack of wolf Demons. A wolf Demon even pouched onto Leteuk, barring his sharp fangs which caused Leteuk to faint. Oh my god....

"Leteuk!"

I shouted and almost wanted to jump out of the carrier to save him. Then Leteuk woke up and at the same time, shoved off the wolfs which started attacking him. Leteuk flew up in mid air and shot down, attacking every wolfs mercilessly with his sharp claws. Instantly, the wolfs were motionless on the ground.

Leteuk slashed his way out from the attacking pack like a blade cutting through. Everyone would assume that he was Leteuk but I knew that he was Kangin, the heartless second head. Needless to say, Leteuk (or rather Kangin) became famous after this battle. Because he alone took down about 1/3 of the enemies. He was ruthless, swift and spot-on in his kills.

When Leteuk returned to the carrier, he returned to his human form. He was the pretty boy but on his body and face, was the blood stains of the enemies. Leteuk whispered to me," Take care of Leteuk, do not let him know what had happened as he would freak out." The next moment, Leteuk lost conscious.

The top Management was elated and very pleased with the outcome of this battle. Hence, it was proclaimed that I would be accompanying Leteuk whenever he went for any battle. I protest madly and even demanded a pay rise but sadly it was rejected outright. Actually, I was trying my luck in asking for pay rise because being the elite squad, the squad was hardly sent out for war unless it was a very tough battle with strong opponents.

After the battle, Leteuk came to look for me. Well he tore down my office door after he knocked a few times without me answering it. I was not in at that time and how could I answer him........

Leteuk was hysterical," Leteuk never went to the battle. The Leteuk that went to kill the enemies that day was not Leteuk!"

I scowled," Leteuk, what are you saying? I do not understand. You were there, at the battle field and you were so heroic! Killing about 1/3 of the enemies!"

"That was not Leteuk!" He roared.

"It was you!" I lied," You were the hero!"

Leteuk did not really believed me and he relented after some months later, accepting what I said. Leteuk opened up to me, saying that he made a few new friends in the elite squad. He also shared that it was his initial fear and nervousness that he clinged into me like a buoy. I smiled and told him that he can alway come to me if he had any problem and I would be glad to be his buoy.

If only the incident did not take place, Leteuk would still be active in the elite squad.

                                                   *******************************************************************************************

A year later, Leteuk became a pillar and trusted figure in the squad.That year, the squad was sent to a fierce battle as reinforcement and another squad had been camping here for 1 month. It was an unbearable summer weather and the power generator was unable to charge up all the equipment. The fan was moving and stopping all the time and I started fanning myself manually.

Leteuk was apologetic and kept saying sorry to me beacuse I accompanied him here. I joked with him and asked him to get me some ice shavings instead of merely apologizing. This was just a joke and I could never let him go alone and get ice shaving because if anything happened to Leteuk, I think Mr Choi would scarifice me to the enemies instantly.

In the afternoon, the scouting member returned and reported weird sighting at the battle field. The squad was very united and decided to take a look together. Naturally, I tagged along.

The vast battle field stood a Demon. It was not the only shocking thing for the squad. The shocking thing was that we saw another Leteuk! He looked almost like Leteuk as he was a chicken Demon too.

I was also stunned when I saw it. It was very very rare to find Demon battling alone as usually, they would be in groups. This chicken Demon seemed slightly younger than Leteuk and it seemed worn out too. I wondered if it was due to him battling for a long time?

I could not see Leteuk's expression since I was inside the barrier shield while he was out there. I saw that Leteuk did not move in his spot after a long time.

The chicken Demon laughed suddenly," Finally, I found you. My love or should I said my ex love?"

Leteuk repeated," Love? Ex love?"

"Oh don't you recognize me?" He walked a few steps to Leteuk," I can't blame you. Who would have believe that the almighty Terminator of the Demonic realm betrayed us and became a lackey of the Mortal? You had stoop so low and so I am not surprised that you pretend not to recognize me."

"Wait! What are you talking about? Who are you? Can you explain everything?" Leteuk wanted to ask further but the chicken Demon launched an attack at Leteuk. Leteuk did not anticipate this and the sharp claws pierced onto his wings. Blood starting flowing out from the deep wounds.

The chicken Demon was also surprised that Leteuk did not try to dodge his attack and he was momentarily in a daze. The rest of the squad came up to pin the chicken Demon down after the Captain shouted out the command.

My sight never left Leteuk and I saw him holding his 3 heads in agony. The eyes of the other 2 heads were struggling to open their eyes.....

A heart wrenching wail was heard and the right head awaken," Yes, I remember everything. I miss you, my love."

The smile on Leteuk was so painful to look at.

------Flash back-------

He lived for more than a thousand years and he did not have any name. A Terminator did not need a name and whoever his target was, he had only 2 outcomes: instant death or slow death!

When he came of age, he shouldered the prestige and responsibility of a Terminator. He had no parents or rather he did not know who were his parents. He had a close friend or rather his lover. They looked the same except that his lover's hands were never tainted with blood.

For about 900 years, he had been slaying the Demons who flounted the laws of the Demonic realm. There wasn't any target that could escape from him and his ruthlessness earned high praise from the Demon King. He was best and most outstanding terminator ever.

However, no one knew that he feared the smell of blood and the dying sights of his targets. He could not understand why he had to slain his targets and he did not see what good it had for the Demonic realm by slaying them. But the killings and blood reminded him that everything was real. It was a cruel reality.

The ultimate punishment of the Demonic realm was to get rid of the targets. No matter where they had escaped to or hid themselves, the Terminator spared no effort to hunt them down. Because if the Terminator failed in his task, an even horrifying punishment awaited them. Being burnt by Flame of Hell!

The soul would be burnt and no Demons could forget the pains and torture. Whenever, they recalled of this; they would beg to end their lives! He ever released a little target due to his kind heartedness and he was burnt for 49 days. Since then, he became cold hearted.

He had ever think of escaping being a Terminator and to hide away. Every Terminator was selected from their clan since young. For his dwindling clan, he and his lover were the only young being born. If he escaped, his lover would have to assume the job. He could not bear for his lover to endure such stress and so he gritted his teeth and continued.

His lover was the only strength that kept he going on.

Because of the job nature, he became temperamental due to endless killings. That was once that he lost self control and hurt his lover.

Seeing his seriously injured lover, he panicked. He made a bold decision which no one had done. He separated his 3 brains. He passed all the pains, sufferings and bad memories to his third brain. The ruthless and emotionless side of him, to the second brain while the best and gentle side of him to the first brain. This arrangement carried on for a few decades and he was doing well until he terminated an uncle who cared for him, or rather his lover's father.

He had no idea what crimes his uncle had committed. Because the Demon King would never reveal the reason for his instruction to terminate the targets.

His uncke knelt and begged him," Please spare my life...."

The second brain was emotionless and he ended his uncle's life before he could finish his words. When the first brain awakened, he saw his uncle lying in a pool of blood and his uncle's soul was crushed in his hands. He became frightened and trembled with regret. He forced this memories to his third brain.

Slowly, his third brain could not withhold all the stress and painful memories. He went berserk. Luckily,  he managed to seal away the third brain before he could harm himself or anyone.

By sealing away the third brain, his actions signified parting with his past and he would not recall anything from his past and neither would he feel the torture and agony. The second brain wanted to protect the first brain, escaped to the Mortal world where no one could locate him due to the barrier shield.

This was the reason that Leteuk forgot his past and Kangin tried to hinder Leteuk from regaining any of his memories.

-------End of flashback-------

After recollecting all this, Leteuk went up to his lover who was being pinned down on the ground. He sighed," I am your target?"

His lover nodded.

Leteuk smiled bitterly," I am so sorry for your father 's death and for forcing you to become a Terminator."

"It can't be true!" Leteuk's lover shouted," I do not believe all this! The Demon King said that you are bewitched by the Mortal to kill my father.  How could you..."

Leteuk stopped his lover from saying further and turned towards his Captain," Can you release him on my account? A Terminator will only act upon the order to kill his target and he will not harm others."

"No problem." The Captain instructed the rest to release Leteuk's lover.

Leteuk stopped in front of his lover," Just take my life and you can return back, safely."

His lover tilted his head," I will definitely slained you. I know that I am weak against you but do not show any mercy to me. I will definitely surpass you one day to be the greatest Terminator and..."

Before he could finish, Leteuk slammed himself against his lover's claws.

Everyone was shocked and so was I. I ran out of the barrier shield.

"No. It can't be. Why?" Leteuk's lover shrieked as he saw Leteuk's soul was crushed in his hand." Why did you do this! You idiot!"

Leteuk tried to smile but he was unable to stand still," If you fail in your mission, you will go through the torment of being burnt with Flame of Hell. It... is very horrifying..."

"No... you can't leave me..." Leteuk's lover started trembling," You can't die! You can't leave me behind alone. You can't die. I forbid you to die! Do you hear me!"

I was still in my state of shockness and screamed," Leteuk... Leteuk..."

Leteuk shook his head," Dongwan, my name is not Leteuk. I am Kangin. Leteuk is the name that I gave to my lover while he named me Kangin.... When I sealed away my third brain, I was afraid that I would forget my lover... I had it scribbled on my arm to remind me not to forget him.... But... I assumed Leteuk to be my name...." Kangin's voice faded," In the end.... I still forget about Leteuk..."

Kangin fell and Leteuk shot up to him. Holding Kangin in his embrace," No...."

No matter how heart breaking Leteuk's cries was, Kangin never woke up.

After a long while, Leteuk spoke softly, " I did not intend to kill Kangin. I just wanted to find him and ask him why did he leave me?"

I saw all of Leteuk's heads crying and it was a sight that I could not forget.

"Kangin really loved you." I consoled Leteuk," He kept calling himself Leteuk and never once called himself as 'I'."

Leteuk nodded," I had the best lover!"

I sniffed badly, trying my best not to cry.

Leteuk stood up and bowed to Kangin's squad mates, " Thank you for taking care of Kangin. Now he had come back to me."

Leteuk carried Kangin's body carefully and slowly disappeared in our sights.

I did not know where Leteuk had gone; because I had never seen his kind anymore in the course of my work.