Chapter 9 - Jindy

Demon Appraiser

After I came out of the airport, I opened the sealed envelope that my superior had given me. It contained a piece of A4 size paper which was folded and there was an address sticker pasted on the paper. I tore off the sticker and the actual address was printed on the piece of paper.

I did not understand why the higher Management loved to play this sort of spy and secret mission game? This only allowed us, the subordinates, to gossip and made fun of and it served no other purposes.

My superior was a technology nerd. His computer might contain virus and it would be child's play to hack into his secret database. I sighed.

I stopped a cab and informed the address to the cab driver. To my surprise, it was a huge mansion.

Before I set off for this trip, my superior had briefed me. Well, it seemed that an arrogant Demon was willing to be certified but he demanded me to make the trip here to do the certification. He even threatened to complain to the President of the Nation if his request was not acceded to.

When I heard this, I slammed my fist on the table top," Such a bastard and we should not entertain him!"

My superior smiled," Dongwan ah. The top Management is placing great emphasis on this Demon. Beside, as a government employee; we should be more pro active. Plus, the salary for this month is not out yet right...."

No matter what, I had to respect my superior and I nodded reluctantly," Sir, I fully agree with you and I better note this advice down somewhere."

Before I rang the doorbell, the door was opened by a man. He was dressed in black shirt and pant with a pair of large eyes but single eyelids. I did not wear my glasses but I could see his true form.

He was an Elm tree! I rarely saw tree type Demon and this Elm tree Demon had colorful flowers blooming on his crown.

He inspected me from head to toes," You are Kim Dongwan?"

"Yes." I showed my staff pass," I am here for certification."

"Come in." 

I drank a cup of tea which was freshly brewed by the Elm tree Demon. I was a bit worried if he was using his leaves to brew my tea because the tea tasted weird.

When I saw the Elm tree Demon, I found him familiar. I could recall exactly where I had seen him as over the years, I seen few hundred of Demons.

At this instant, I heard a noise and I looked up. Our gaze met and Andy was standing in the living room.

He was the Andy in my memories. He had short black hair and his fringe was neatly above his eye brows. He has a sweet smiles and he looked cute. His Demon form was glowing and looked almighty. Seeing Andy, I felt relieved.

"Kim Dongwan, I finally found you." Andy walked towards me.

I felt that I became the 10 years old me back in elementary  school. I felt like escaping from Andy. I behaved like a wimp and I started crying," Sorry. I had wanted to apologize to you."

Andy smirked when he heard me," Are you pleading me for leniency?"

"No. I wanted to atone for my mistake." I stood up and ran into the kitchen, totally ignoring the Elm tree Demon. I pulled out the drawers and found a knife. I placed it on my wrist?" No matter what price that you wanted me to pay, I will have no regret because I owed you."

Andy stood against the light and caused himself to emit out faint glow," Do you think this is atoning for your mistake?"

"I do not know any other way of atoning for my mistake." I stared blankly at Andy," Let me finish my business here with him though I do not know your relationship with that Elm tree guy. I will not certify him. Next, I wanted to have a tour in this town because I had never been here. Once all this are settled, I will hand my life over to you. I am serious about it. Though I suspected that there are secret agents protecting me, I am confident of luring them away."

Andy smiled," Let me be your tour guide."

I did not know what Andy was conspiring to do. I recalled that he was a Level 2 Demon and Andy could take my life effortlessly. Even with the secret agents, I doubted that they can win against Andy. Also, I had no idea how would Andy end my life? Instant death or slow torture?

Changing to another perspective, if I am Andy; I would use the top 10 deadly torturous methods. Maybe Andy could not make up his mind which torturing method that he would use on me. Maybe he would want to try all but in this way, I would die much faster and which he might not want to happen....

I dared not speak and followed Andy to the places of interest here. Andy also brought me to try the local street food. Next, we walked on a deserted street and till Andy brought me into a school?

It was strange that the school was empty and I looked closely and realized that it was my elementary school.

I understood. Andy wanted to end my life in a familiar place. I became light hearted. I had dreamt if the various ways for my death. Dying in Andy's hand might not be a bad thing because he was the one that had me being guilty conscious all these years.

Andy tugged at my hand and dragged me into a classroom. I saw all my classmates inside, the same black board which scribbled my name as the student on duty for the day. It seemed as though the years did not pass at all.

I looked around for Andy and I was shocked to see him. He was deprived of any energy and was more like a skeleton. Andy pounced on me and his hands turned into sharp claws, tightening them over my throat.....

When I regained conscious, I realized that I was dreaming. I am seated at the living room with the Elm tree Demon and I was still holding into my cup of weird tasting tea. I saw the Elm tree Demon and I did not see Andy at all.

"I see that you are perspiring profusely. So, have you done any guilty deed?" the Elm tree Demon spoke calmly.

I panted. I remembered everything. This Elm tree Demon was him. He was the one who asked me about Andy that evening.

The Elm tree Demon chuckled," No one will seek revenge on you. Andy died a long time ago. Probably 5 to 6 years ago."

I held my breathe, my hand trembled and the cup dropped onto the floor and smashed into pieces.

The Elm tree Demon told me his name - Junjin and he also narrated a tale to me.

The white bird called was a Trial Judge. Being seen as a symbol of Purity and Justice. Because of this, the white bird was all noble and had to shoulder the heavy responsibility of giving final judgement. It had to endure a long and painful process of mediation, not able to fly or move. It was for the purpose of maintaining a pure heart.

When Andy was born, he was locked away for a century. He had to oversee everything that happened in Demonic realm and mortal realm. Day after day and Night after night. Human and Demons came and gone while Andy could only keep on watching.

Slowly, Andy set his eyes on the Mortal realm. An Elm tree grew near Andy. He could not help but asked Andy," What are you looking at?"

Andy was surprised that another Demon striked up a conversation with him and he blinked his eyes," I am looking at the humans."

"What is so interesting about them?"

"Very interesting." Andy replied. " And very meaningful too."

Human is an interesting specie. The parents tended to the young till they grew up. When the young matured, they had their own offsprings and the cycle repeated... Though they had a short lifespan, they continued their reproduction of their kind.

Andy was mesmerized," If only I can be a human. How nice would it be?"

Junjin chuckled," Why don't you pay a visit to the Mortal realm?"

"I can't." Andy lowered his head," I had to continue with my training to be a Trial Judge. The Elder said that I had to train for another 100 years."

Junjin stretched his branches and fondled Andy's wings," Let me be your wings and eyes then. I will visit the Mortal realm for you."

Junjin kept his words and he visited many places. He brought back the sand of the deserts, ice crystal of the North point, water droplets of the ocean, snowflakes of the mountain top, maple leaf of the Autumn, Cheery blossoms of the Spring.... Everytime, Junjin brought back a gift; he could see the envy in Andy's eyes.

"I will go to the Mortal realm one day."

Junjin smiled," Yes, you will."

The two of them watched the Mortal realm in silent and eventually 100 years passed. The day that Andy was freed by the Elder, he fell on the ground as he did not know how to fly. Andy did not want to follow the Elder but wanted to bade farewell to Junjin. When the Elder left, Junjin patted away the dirt on Andy. Junjin carried Andy onto his branch carefully. Seeing that Andy was quiet, Junjin ," What a fat little white bird."

Andy did not respond and Junjin realized that Andy was crying," I want to visit the Mortal realm."

"You are free now. Let's go."

"But the Elder said that I will be assume the role of Trial Judge tomorrow. I will never come back here again." Andy sobbed. He plucked a beautiful flower from his crown and tied it onto Junjin." You are so kind and you deserve this flower."

Junjin grabbed Andy," Let's go to the Mortal realm.... You and me."

Andy widened his eyes," Really?"

"Yes."

Junjin grew and opened the Demonic portal. He took Andy and disappeared.

It was as heavy crime for Andy to escape and they did not dare to stay too long at a place. Hence, they were constantly on the run. Eventually, they came to a bustling city and no one would notice them. Everyday, Junjin would hold Andy's hand and visit the city, watched the sunrise and sunset and the change of the seasons. Very soon, they adapted into the Mortal realm and fitted into the city. Andy's favourite place was the balcony of their apartment as he loved to watch the children going to school.

Junjin knew what was on Andy's mind. Junjin tried all means and even forged documentation for Andy so that he could enrol Andy into the elementary school. Andy was tearing when he carried his blue haversack on the first day of school," Junjin, can I really make it?"

Junjin patted his head," Of course, Andy. Have faith in yourself."

Andy smiled," Would you fetch me from school? I see the human do this."

Junjin chuckled," Yes, I will fetch you from school and buy your favourite sweets for you."

This kind of life went on for 3 years. Everyday, Andy would happily tell Junjin of the happenings in school. What the teachers taught him in school, how the other classmates were. Andy became the class monitor and everyone liked him. Andy flew into Junjin's embrace," It is so nice being a human."

"I am happy to see you being so happy."

However, one day, there was worries on Andy's face. Initially, Andy refused to say anything at all till Junjin coaxed him. "Junjin, there is a new student in my class today. He can see my true form."

"Demon slayer. Did he harm you?" Junjin knew that only Demon slayers could see the true form of Demons.

"No. But I do not know if he will." Andy was worried," I have to sound him out." Andy was a Trial Judge and his ability was to differentiate the Good and Evil. Andy needed to look into the eyes and he would know if the other had evil thoughts in them.

The next day, Andy skipped happily to Junjin. " He is a good boy and so he will not harm me."

 

I peeped at Junjin when he paused his tale. I saw the hatred burning in hisd eyes," Andy believes that you are a good boy."

I did not know what to say except looking at my shoes.

It was a thunderstorm day and Junjin was standing at the school gate. He waited till midnight but there was no sign of Andy. Junjin knew that something happened to Andy because he could no longer sense Andy. He searched for Andy for 7 days in the city. Thereafter, Junjin assumed that Andy was captured by his clan back to the Demonic realm and he risked his life again, when he opened the portal.

Junjin was not so lucky this time as Andy's Elder demanded him to return Andy. The Elder did not listen to Junjin's explanation and used Fire on him, as torture, to force then truth out from Junjin. Shortly, the flower bloomed all over Junjin and the Elder stopped the punishment but he locked Junjin away.

Many years passed and Junjin still had no news of Andy. One day, his door opened and the Elder came in. He placed a white droplet in Junjin's hand," This... is from Andy. This is his dream." Tears flowed down the Elder's eyes.

"Where is Andy?"

"You will know after you see his dream."

Junjin smashed the droplet. In the dream, he saw Andy rushing into his embrace. Junjin wanted to hug Andy but he was unable to do so. Junjin saw Anding being dragged away by the people of the Nation Internal Security Department and placed a collar on Andy, which restrained Andy's power totally. Andy was locked in a glass chamber for observation. Andy's feathers, flowers on his crown were taken for experiments. The most gruesome test was when Andy was tied onto the operation bed and was injected with all sort of chemicals and being obeserved. They recorded the reactions from Andy... Soon, Andy became very skinny like a skeleton and he was dying.....

Soon, the Millenium war broke out. Andy, together with the other Demons in the laboratory, were sent for certification. When they knew that they would be sent to the battle field to fight their kinds, all of them let out cries of despair and hopelessness.

Andy was certified and he regained his power. But being a Trial Judge, he could not lay his hand on the very Human that turned him into this state. Andy could only destroyed the evil ones but none of the Humans in the laboratory was evil. Not Dongwan, not anyone..... Andy loved the Human kind and he loved his own kind. Andy could never bring himself to fight against his siblings in the battle. So on a bright full moon night, Andy ended his life.

Andy crushed his spirit and looked outside of his glass chambers at the moon. He stretched out his arms / wings. Before his last breathe, he created 6 white droplets of dreams and sent them out of the windows.

Junjin was hitting his chest hard after seeing all these and he was crying hard on the ground. Andy's dreams took a long time to reach the Demonic realm. When it reached Junjin, it was about 5 years later. Andy passed away 5 years ago. All the while, Junjin did not have any news of Andy and when the news came, he witnessed how Andy ended his life miserably in the Mortal realm which he loved.

The Elder received the first droplet and Andy requested him to pass the rest of the 5 droplets to Junjin. Junjin was requested to pass the rest of the 4 droplets to a human called Kim Dongwan.

"I thought that Andy wanted to seek revenge. However, he instructed me not to harm you." Junjin stared at me. "I do not understand what Andy was thinking. So I asked for you here. I had crushed 3 droplets and you see the last droplet yourself."

I received the white droplet from Junjin. From the smooth reflection, I saw my teary face. I crushed it and my vision changed.

                         *****************************

It was my Elementary school and it was Autumn. The blue skies had a white trace of a flying airplane. The air had the smell of the coming Autumn rain. The senior boys were playing soccer in the field. I saw Andy walking out from the school building and he looked left and right before walking towards me. Andy looked as warm as the Autumn day and his white wings spreaded on his back. I knew that I was back to the time when Andy left me a note, asking me to meet him at the field.

I heard my heart beating but I did not run away. I only clenched my fists tightly, looking at Andy.

Andy came up to me, " Hi Dongwan, you knew that I am a Demon."

I was shocked.

" I was right. I knew that you saw my true form. I know that you are a good boy, can we be friends?" Andy stretched out his right hand and smiled happily.

The wind blew and it was because of the grain of sand that went into my eyes which caused me to cry.

I saw Andy transformed into a white bird and he flew to Junjin, pecking him gently. Junjin extended his branches and tickled Andy. I heard their laughters. I also heard their conversation.

"Junjin, I wanted to live my life as a human. To study when young, thereafter started working upon graduation. Marrying you and we bickered over whose cookings was yucky. I like to grow old with you. But this was just my wilful wish."

Andy held my hands," I am not seeking revenge, Dongwan. I am sending you my dreams so that a human can remember my existence. Dongwan, I do not hate you. I just want you to remember me."

I spoke in my hoarse voice," Remember you?"

Andy smiled," Yes because it will indicate that I been to the Mortal realm."

I nodded.

                              ****************************

There was once a demon who looked so forward to be a human. He was my best friend, Andy, and he had the purest heart than anyone I knew.

I am sorry.

If I could turn back time, I would not run away in fear. I will be brave and introduce myself to you. I will pretend that I did not see any Demon. I would smile and shook your hand and to become friends. We might go to the same Junior High, College and even University... When we grew up, we could even gossip about work and relationships. I believed that I would still become a Demon appraiser but I would not certify you. I would let you become a normal human being which you had wished.

I would invite you to dinners and probably invite your beloved Junjin too. You were a bird while he was a tree and so I would be the only one who would eat the food. And the 2 of them would pay for the bills.. kekekeke...

You will definitely gotten married early to your beloved Junjin while I might clinged on you to introduce suitable guys to me. When I became old, you would still be youthful and teased me. I would retaliate back, scolding you as a freaking things.

I am sorry

Very sorry. Do you know how much I yearned to atone for everything....

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came back to the office on the 3rd day.

"Is everything going smoothly?' I heard my superior asking me.

I nodded," I did not get to certify."

My superior smiled and left my office," So long you are alright. Nothing matters." He spoke before he walked off.

I place a small pot of plant on my table. It was from Junjin or rather it was from Andy. Junjin told me that the flower was 10 years old and it was the first gift from Andy. Junjin told me to get lost and to get as far away from him as possible. He even threatened to take my life if he saw me the next time.

I took a marker pen and wrote 'Andy' on the pot. The flower was beautiful just like Andy's smile. This way, I would alway remember you.

I am Kim Dongwan. This was the reason that I would not acknowledge that Demons existed in this world easily.