Chapter 11 - Kangteuk

Demon Appraiser

I really wished that I did not have to cross path with that arrogant and worthless chicken. But my luck was really bad that my wish was not to be granted.

Minwoo rang me up and apprised me that Leteuk was a Level 2 Demon which was the highest ranked Demon for the past few months. The top Management was placing a lot of emphasis on Leteuk and wanted to band him into the Elite squad.

"Whatever, Minwoo. I am not interested and it is none of my business." I was eating my ham and cheese sandwich while holding the phone between my neck and shoulder. It was rather difficult and straining on my neck.

"Dongwan ah, whether you like it or not; it was not my intention to call and tell you all about Leteuk. I am having insufficient sleep already." Minwoo groaned," Leteuk was more than agreeable to join the Elite squad. He was quite clever or cunning I should say. He made a request to the top Management and you wanna guess what his request is?"

I snorted," What? He want to marry me? Tell him that Demon and Human will not have good outcome. And I like Human and not chicken!"

Minwoo burst out in laughter and he could not stop laughing for a long time," Well, I will say that it is not much different from marriage. Leteuk requested the top Management will allow him to live with someone for a month. To observe and record his daily activities so that he will be able to understand why he kept on having memories loss. Like to guess the next part?"

"F*** !" I dropped my sandwich," Minwoo, please say that the one who had to live with that chicken is not me!"

"Bingo."

"What! You mean that the top Management agree to this nonsense?" I yelled.

"Well, Leteuk is a Level 2 Demon and do you think they will be letting go of such a gem?"

This was a shocking new to me. I shifted my phone to my other ear and asked Minwoo a very important question," Do you think if I run off now and hide myself, will I be able to escape from this thing?"

Of course I did not run away but I had thought over a few plans in my head.

In the same afternoon, my superior came to talk to me about the matter. I whined and even cried out loud," Boss, I had yet to get married and what if I lost my life while cohabiting with that Leteuk Demon guy! Can you get someone else to do it?"

My superior sighed and he started to lecture me on the vision, mission statement and the SOP of Internal Security Departement, couple with the historical background of our Department formation and the great goal that the past Ministers and President had for us.... I interrupted him because he even lectured me on the history of the Nation," Sir, I had straighten my thinking. It is an honour to lay my life for the Department!"

"Dongwan, it is good that you had thought through carefully. You are a role model here." My superior smiled and patted my back," Tonight, you will start with the mission. The address of the place is in this envelope."

..... "Thank you" I answered with my shaky voice.

The whole afternoon, I was devising ways and excuses not to go there. For example: I had sudden fever till 45 degree Celsius, I had sudden terrible food poisoning which caused me to vomit and diarrhea, I even thought of begging Minwoo to ask his Doctor friend to forge an MC slip for me....

The moment I stepped out of my office, I saw Leteuk standing at the lift lobby. He tilted his head and looked at me," So late! Leteuk waited for a long time."

".... ". Who was late! Who the hell ask you to wait for me? I did not make any promise with you (my thoughts)

I scowled," Why are you here?"

"To fetch you." Leteuk answered as if I am a stupid fool," Aren't you coming to Leteuk's place?"

"......" I was speechless.

"Leteuk, I did not promise to go over to your place together." I tried my last attempt," Beside, I need to get my toiletries and change of clothings.

"You just need to buy." Leteuk came over and took my bag. Without giving me a chance to say anything, he dragged me away.

I did not escape, not because I was touched by Leteuk's actions or I had a change of heart. It was simply because Leteuk regained his power and he strength was so strong that I felt my arm was going to be tore off from my shoulder!

Leteuk stayed in the high end part of the city. An apartment with 3 bedrooms, being the only unit on a high floor of the building.

I wish to state that most of the Demons that I came across in the course of my work, were enjoying their lives. Lived in posh apartment, eating good food, some even had nice cars... I really wondered where on earth that their money came from? At one point of time, I even suspected that the government was ill treating the humans because of the Demons.

I fully praised Leteuk's apartment looking like a hotel room, sarcastically implied that he had taste.

Since I stepped into Leteuk's apartment, I was jittery because that chicken could easily twisted my head off should he got irritated my me. I think I had to make sure that I served Leteuk till he was happy.

Leteuk slouched on the sofa snd shook his legs," Leteuk has not regain memories."

I was thinking in my heart that I had told him this thing, a long time ago. However, I consoled him,"Leteuk, don't be sad. For even a simple illness, it takes a certain amount of time to recover let alone recovering your memories. You can't rush things and the most important thing now is that you must stay happy and positive!"

I felt like puking at what I had just said.

Leteuk seemed even more depressed," Leteuk does not remember what type of Demon Leteuk is."

I curse silently, just look at the mirror and you would know. I faked my most gentle voice and said," You are a powerful poultry type Demon."

"But Leteuk can't remember anything!"

"Leteuk, you will remember everything one day. Don't be sad."

Maybe Leteuk was encouraged by my words and he beamed at me. I regretted because Leteuk asked me to recite the information that I knew about him...

I started activating my laptop and read off the information in my database.... While I was about 3/4 way, I realized that Leteuk stopped shaking his legs. He had been shaking his legs for the past 2 hours and initially it was getting on my nerves. Slowly I got used to it but now he did not shake his legs and I was nervous too. I went to tap on Leteuk and he fell flat on the sofa. What the Hell! He had fallen asleep! Am I so boring huh?

I sighed and closed my laptop. I wore my special glasses and scrutinized Leteuk. I had never observed Leteuk closely before and now that he was sleeping, the eyes on his 3 heads were closed. I imagined his 3 heads with eyes wide open and fought for food during meal time and I laughed heartily...

Now that Leteuk was asleep, I packed my things and decided to sneak home. I walked towards the main door as quietly as possible but I heard the wind?!

The windows were all shut, so was the door. Where did the wind came from?

While I was wondering, my body was lifted and slammed against the wall. I fell flat on the floor. When my brain registered pain, my neck was grabbed and I was pinned high up against the wall. The culprit was Leteuk.

Ordinary, the Demon would change into his true form to maximize his power but Leteuk was still in his human form and his strength was already this great! No wonder the top Management was treating Leteuk like a gem.

I was short of air and I tried my best to speak," You.... Bastard..."

Leteuk narrowed his eyes and emitted a dangerous aura.

"You filthy Human! Why are you here in my house?"

"It's.... You.... Call me here."

"Liar!"

Leteuk's voice changed into a very chilly tone. He was still grabbing my neck while he spoke and my feet were dangling in the air. I did not know what the hell was wrong with Leteuk. I knew that my right arm was painful and I guessed that I could have injured it during the fall. I could not raise it even a bit and my brain was getting dizzy due to the lack of oxygen. I could not lift my legs to kick him and I used my last ounce of energy to speak," Leteuk... Let me go... Else I let your soul....Explode..."

Leteuk regained his power which indicated that he had the operation and so the bomb was definitely planted in him. This is the way to control the Demons should they turned against us.

There was slight change in Leteuk's expression, trying to ascertain something. Finally, he release his gripe and I fell on the floor. I though that I had heard Leteuk hissed," Useless and despeciable human."

Simply, he was not Leteuk. Or he was Leteuk but they were different individuals in the same body. This Leteuk was different from the Leteuk that I known. The Leteuk that I knew was stupid and assuming but he would not harm anyone; this Leteuk was deadly and cold hearted, probably would not hesitate to take lives.

So Demons also had split personality problems? Suddenly, I believed that I discovered the truth about Leteuk's memories loss....

While I recovered a bit, I wanted to bolt out of the apartment. I did not expect this Leteuk 2 moving in front of the door and locked it.

He stared coldly at me," Where do you think you are going?"

I lowered my head as if I was caught cheating. I mumbled," I want to go to hospital."

Leteuk 2 gazed on my right arm and snorted," You will not die from that little injuries. I have something to ask you. If you do not answer my questions, you will really die!"

"....." I was being threatened.

"Your soul..." Before I could complete, Leteuk 2 showed his long, sharp fingernails.

"Before you can call for help, I can easily gouge out your heart!"

I started my imagination. I was dead and they exploded Leteuk. Those who did not know the real truth would think that we committed suicide for love. Oh my god! My reputation would be tarnished! So I obediently returned to the sofa and sat on it.

Leteuk 2 made me report to him about everything, in full details and not to omit anything.

Initially, I rolled my eyes," Are you serious? You mean you do not know all this?"

Seeing his instant change in his expression, I started started with my report," First, it is.... Later.... And then....."

After I finished, Leteuk 2's face darken and he slammed his fist on the coffee table, causing hair-line cracks to appear. I was terrified that I sank deeper into the sofa. I was scared that similar cracks would appear on me if he slammed his fist on me.

"Leteuk? Calm down."

He raised his head," I am not Leteuk. I am Kangin."

"Huh?" I did not know that the split personality Demon had different names?

"Human are really stupidest creature! I am the second head" Kangin added. " I have 3 heads and we share the same body. Meaning, we think together and act together. But due to some reason, I am separated with first head."

My eyes and mouth were wide open. I looked at Kangin. Just he mentioned, only the middle head was awake while the left and right heads were sleeping.

"So this is why Leteuk had memories loss?"

"This is none of your business!" Kangin glanced at me of which fear started appearing in every cells of my body.

Kangin spoke slowly and threateningly," Do not say to Leteuk anything about me! Else you will not get to see the sunrise of the next day!"

I sat on the sofa the whole night, too frightened to sleep. I finished my breakfast and Leteuk/Kangin came out, rubbing his sleepy eyes. He looked at me," What happen to Leteuk?"

"You fell asleep."

"No. Leteuk did not sleep." Leteuk frowned," What really happen? Why Leteuk do not remember anything? What happen after Leteuk sleep?"

"Nothing happens. You just snore in your sleep."

I did not breathe a single word about Kangin, not because I am scared to lose my life but I felt that Kangin existed for a reason. Besides, this was something that I should not get involved. Kangin was a part of Leteuk?? He was in a better position to decide for themselves.

"What happen to your arm?" Leteuk looked around," Why did the coffee table cracked?"

I faked a smile," Oh, I accidentally hit it and injured my arm. I had treated my arm and later, I am going to see a doctor."

"Damn it!" Leteuk jumped up," Why? Why Leteuk still can't remember anything?"

Before I could react, Leteuk started smashing things, bookshelf, tv, cupboard etc...

"Why? No family! No friend! No name! No past! Even the name Leteuk was just picked up. Leteuk should not exist!" Leteuk roared like an injured beast. It seemed as if Leteuk kept on shouting to fight his fear. Leteuk broke down because he had exhausted all means to recall his memories. I consoled Leteuk for a while which was useless. Because of Kangin, Leteuk would never regain his memories. And for me who kept mum about this, I really felt uneasy.

Till now, I am still certain that my decision was right.

Leteuk locked himself in his room for the whole day and he refused to step out of the apartment. The top Management instructed me to watch over and accompany Leteuk. After work, I bought a lot of tidbits back and I watched the new tv till I fell asleep on the sofa.

Sometime, Leteuk would come out of his room and spoke to me but most of the time, he was silent. I could pity him and resonant with his feeling. His fear for his unknown past and his fear for the unknown future. Everything was straining on Leteuk like a black hole him.

Because nothing was found out about Leteuk's memories loss and my mission ended in a month.