Chapter 16 - Jindy

Demon Appraiser

The train passed by a large field of sunflowers. The golden waves shot into the eyes while hiding the scattered black tiled roof huts in the far distant.

The cabin was shaking and caused me to have a not so comfortable sleep last night. Hence I woke up early. I spied at the thick book on the side table. "The history of China". It was detailing the history and culture of the Chinese and the never ending wars in each dynasties which repeated without fail. The proverb, 'History repeats itself' came to my mind.

Ryeowook patted my shoulders," Relax hyung! Afterall we are coming here to enjoy ourselves. There is nothing to be so hardworking to digest everything in the tour book."

I decided to clear some of my leave and my annoying baby cousin Wookie came with me, uninvited as usual. Wookie was barely 20 years old and he was sort of my distant cousin. But he did not inherit any gift nor was he in anyway part of the Demon-slayer clan. He was just a ordinary young boy who was whinny, annoying and talkactive at the same time.

"I slogged so hard at work and so I should really relax and enjoy myself for this trip here. But I really do not understand why did you want to come to the countryside with me? I doubt the accommodation would be good here."

I could not tell Wookie that I came here because of my nightmare. Or rather a vision that I had which I couldn't recall much. Someone or something was urging me to come here and so I applied leave and wanted to come here to solve the mystery about my vision. I managed to get a long holiday from my superior not without some dirty tricks.

I am not worried about the accommodation facilities and condition in this countryside. It still beats the crazy stressful work life back home. I could lose my life or worse, my mind anytime. So coming here was a great treat to myself.

" Dear passengers, the train will be arriving at the next destination in 5 minutes. Kindly ensure that you take along your belongings whe you alight. Thank you for travelling with SH Train Services. We look forward to be seeing you again and have a pleasant journey. Goodbye." The gentle but mechanical voice sounded through the train's system.

Both of grabbed our luggage and alighted from the train. However, we saw a large crowd of students alighting at the same stop as us. They were chatting away noisily.

"Why is there so many people here?It's also a bit warm and stuffy. " Wookie whined. "If I knew it would be like this, I will not want to come along...."

"Let's go." I spoke to a whining Wookie while looking out for cab to take us to our accommodation.

The cab sped along the street of Jing De Zhen which was a prefecture-level city, previously a town, in northeastern Jiangxi province, People's Republic of China, with a total population of 1,554,000, bordering Anhui to the north*. This small city was just like any other cities in China with modern streets, traffic etc... However, the largest attraction of Jing De Zhen was that it was known as the "Porcelain Capital" because it has been producing pottery for 1,700 years. The city has a well-documented history that stretches back over 2,000 years.

Many people knew that porcelain was also termed as 'china' but hardly many knew that the name was derived from the sound of Jing De Zhen old historical name 'Chang Nam' which really sounded like china*.

By the reign of Emperor Jingde of the Song dynasty, the court decreed that existing private kilns fire quality wares for imperial use and that the pieces should be marked with ‘Made in the Jingde period’ on the base.  The town (Zhen) was thereafter known as Jingdezhen and the earlier name of Changnan was gradually forgotten.  This decree did not result in the creation of new kilns but merely appointed established private kilns to add imperial wares to their production.  The kilns were thus producing high quality wares for the imperial court at the same time as producing common dinner sets for the domestic markets at the same time*.

The cab driver was chatty," You are foreigners?"

"Yup." I replied with short answer in my limited Mandarin so as not to appear rude.

"Oh if you are interested in porcelain and the history ...., you two can try to do some digging here...... Who knows that you might dug out some valuable antique......." The cab driver continued but I could only catch certain part of his conversation while the rest seemed alien to me.

We were traveling to a quiet suburban of Jing De Zhen and it was vastly different from the bustling modern cities of other part of China or even back home. It was a quiet albeit bumpy journey till the cab stopped in front of the entrance of the sleepy little village.

I paid the driver and we followed the sandy path into the surreal village. Wookie whined and grumbled along the way while he pulled his luggage behind and I had to shut him up with my fierec glare. Nevertheless, I could still hear low hiss and groans from him.

We stopped at an old style mansion. Black tiled roof and white wall. The front heavy gate was shut but there was a small signage written in Chinese which indicated it was a hotel or inn.

"I think i found our accomodation. Let stay here." I turned to Wookie and he agreed.

"The scenary around here seemed nice and maybe I can do a bit of painting or drawing while we are here." Wookie beamed slightly.

We knocked on the door and it was after a long wait that we heard footsteps behind the gate.

A young man was standing in front of us. As he was back facing the sunlight, I could not see his face clearly. I used my crude Mandarin to tell him that we wanted to stay here for a couple of days.

He shifted himself and made space for us to go in.

Now I finally saw his face under the warm sunlight. He was a handsome young man who reminded me of the male lead actor in the dramas which Wookie forced me to watch: white smooth complexion, reddish lips and sparkling white teeth. His big brownish iris seemed to possess magic as everything was being absorbed into his eyes.

I recovered and nudged at Wookie who was ogling at the young man in a very embarrassed manner. I smirked and started to converse with the young man and to my surprise, he spoke fluent English,

"My ancestors were potter who made porcelain for the Royal families." The young man briefly explained.

We followed him across the inner garden and saw a large wooden table in the middle of it. On the table was a lot of paints, brushes and platelets. I saw that the young man's hands were coated with some red paint and I was curious," Hey, what are this?"

"Painting the porcelain." He smiled and led us to a side chambers and gestured them that it would our rooms.

I shook hand with the young man and in an instant I saw something. It was a beautiful ancient village.

The dandelion puffs flew in the wind belong drooping to the stream. The water wheel was turning quickly due to the flow of the stream. A few women was washing laundry by the stream and they were using the wooden stock to hit onto the clothing, creating knocking noise.

A young boy was sitting on a large stone in the stream, dangling his legs. In his hand was a paintbrush and he was busy tracing out the scenary in front of him. The reflection of the water shone on him and created a soft warm glow around him.

It was a pretty sight.... I was gasping at what I thought to have imagined when I glanced up at the young man and saw his necklace. The pendant was a locket like object but I could not tell it's material but I am sure that it was neither gold or jade.

He must have seen me staring at his necklace and smiled," This was a love pendent made from Porcelain."

"Wookie, what happen to you?" I had done with unpacking of my luggage when I saw Wookie was still in his daze mode," Helloooooo.... Earth to Wookie the handsome guy had long gone and please close your mouth before the flies go inside and stay."

Wookie started to blush and covered his face while splattering yells that he was not ogling at anyone.

I smirked and slinged my arm around Wookie's shoulder," Too bad for you Wookie, he has a lover already..."

"How did you know?" Wookie eyed me suspiciously.

, I couldn't just tell Wookie that I just some vision from the young man else Wookie would say that I am crazy. Plus Wookie had no idea what I am working as except that I am working for the government. " I make a guess. He is so handsome and I wouldn't be surprise that he has a lover right?" I cooked up an excuse," It nearing noon and I am starving."

Wookie took out some of his drawing material and a sketch book," Okay, let's go."

We wandered around and found a small restaurant. We ordered some dishes and asked for a local brew. The simple home made dishes were delicious and coupled with their flower wine, our belly were satisfied. Wookie started to find a place to do some drawing while I decided to explore the vicinity a bit. Wookie told me that he would go back himself as it was near to our hotel.

I followed a little stream and walked south. There was only 2 to 3 tourists here and I climbed up a small hill. I had the view of the whole village: black tiled roof and meandering stream cutting across it.

I suddenly think of Minwoo and I dialled his numbers.

Minwoo's husky voice came through as if he just woke up.

"Hi Minbongie, good afternoon." I chirped.

"What! Good afternoon?" Minwoo sounded irritated as his nice afternoon nap was being disrupted.

"Oh, I am having a vacation in China with my baby cousin Wookie." I chuckled," Did I happen to disturb your beauty nap? Okay I am hanging up."

"You...." Minwoo's voice was cut as i hung up on him.

The afternoon blaze made me scout for a shady place to rest. I sat on a large stone near a pile of debris with green moss growing on top. I was so bored that I kicked at the debris and found a few pieces of cracked porcelain. I believed I was sitting on somewhat an abandon kiln? I brushed away the soil and carefully dug out the pieces. The largest piece was about my palm size and from it shape, I guessed that it could be a small wine flask.

When I rubbed on it to clean it, I saw a vision again. I saw fiery blaze and heard the painful shrieks in my head. I even had a whiff of the burning smell of flesh! I dropped the piece of porcelain in fright and managed to return to my senses. The ivory white porcelain still emit it's beauty aura despite being cracked. But why did this beautiful piece of art contained something so painful and scary? What was the thing hidden behind this?

I fumbled in my pocket for a handkerchief to clean the piece and slowly two Chinese characters greeted me.

"What is it?" I started to think about it and decided to go and go back. I took out my mobile phone and google scan at the words.

"Qu Fu." According to the information on google search, the name refers to a military department in Yuan Dynasty. This items used to be in used in the secret military department. Hence there was a stamp on it to mark it.

When I reached back, it was nearing evening and the young man was busy in the inner garden.

I grabbed a wooden stool and sat near him. He was busy painting on a large shield screen. A few strand of hair covered his eyes and there was an indescrible silent on us. I was unable to shift my gaze away from him.

"Er, how do I address you?"

"Junjin" he did not look at me.

"I am Kim Dongwan." I continued," Are you well versed in porcelain?"

"We know quite a fair bit as we are staying here." Junjin's voice was still that distant.

"Er do you know Qu Fu porcelain?" I blurted out.

Junjin stopped and turned his head slowly. His iris was scarily dark but followed with a faint smile," From Yuan dynasty but no one remember it because it's reputation was over shadowed by more famous type of porcelain. I am surprised that you ask about it especially you being a foreigner."

"Why are you surprise?"

"It was said to be inasuspicious as death will come forth!"

I recalled the piece wrapped in handkerchief and inside my pocket. I decided to change topic and saw that he resumed to his painting.

"Will it be done soon to go into the kiln?"

Junjin continued," Where is your friend?"

"Oh my cousin is still outside with his drawing." I saw Junjin nodded and did not converse anymore, I decided to get away less making myself a nuisance.

When I stood up, I recalled something weird instantly. The item was completed and Junjin was painting something and that painting.... Had a dark and evil aura about it.

 

(* A/N : Information from google website kekekekeke :)