Chapter 13 - Ricsyung

Demon Appraiser

"Descendants of Demon slayers,  Beware of the cunning fox spirits; beware especially the 9-tails fox spirit!"

Something had been bothering me for a while.

If a pop idol happened to be a Demon and he kept appearing on TV shows and other media platform, did this tantamount to a threat to mankind? Was it considered as a threat to the society?

The Demon was known as Shin Hyesung and he rose to stardom because of a commercial that he was in. He was too pretty to be a human being and there was an evil aura emitting from his innocent sweet 'boy - next - door' looks. He topped in the online portal searchlist and it could easily achieve million hits in a single day! Shin Hyesung's popularity sky rocketed after he starred in a few dramas which garnered high viewership and he was invited to guest star in some of  the highly rated variety shows.

While I saw Shin Hyesung's first commercial who solidified his idol status, I almost bit off the metal spoon when I was eating my favourite tiramisu. No one saw but me, I saw it at the first glance that Shin Hyesung was a true blue Demon! Because of the size of the TV screen, I could not see the whole form of Shin Hyesung except for his coat of snow white fur and the few bushy tails wagging behind. I broke into a cold shiver.

White fur, several tails and plus his attractively pretty looks; all these fitted the description of the 9 - tails fox spirit! Oh my god! This sort of Demons was very unpredictable and charismatic. It couldn't cause much damage given the barrier shield in the nation. However, Shin Hyesung's popularity was not a joking manner and what if he made his fans went out of the barrier shield,  the consequences would be dire....

The problem that stumped me was: should I report this up to my top Management?  Once reported, Shin Hyesung would be arrested for certification and he would be send out to the battle fields! That was worse than death.

What if this matter was exposed and I would become a murderer whom would be held responsible for the lives that Shin Hyesung slaint. It would be worse than death for me instead. I bet the future generations would curse and swear me for centuries!

Since then, I became a worry wart, paranoid whenever I saw young female in school uniforms idoling Shin Hyesung. The usual, lazy Kim Dongwan suddenly transformed into a diligent and responsible person. I started to keep track on every single moves of Shin Hyesung for close monitoring.

First, I kept refreshing the Google sites for his latest updates. I had never expected that he was this famous after that commercial as he had several billion fans plus thousands of fan clubs and going by the trends, the numbers was increasing at an alarming speed.

Next, I started watching the boring variety programs and talkshows that Shin Hyesung was scheduled as the star guest. I was glued to the TV for a long time just to catch his appearance because I wanted to see his true form to be certain. It was a torture for me because I watch only the CNN and BBC channels only. (Hey don't laugh! I am serious!). After catching the glimpse of Shin Hyesung after stalking for so long, I had the urge to smash my TV because I still could not see the true form of Shin Hyesung! The camera only captured it's head and the white furry coat.

I started to pray to all the divine beings up in the skies for Shin Hyesung to be more popular so that he would hold a meet the fan session. I would then be able to see his true form up close. And I could be ascertain if he was the legendary 9 - tails fox spirit!

Another thing also puzzled me. It was rumoured that Shin Hyesung worked extremely hard such as only sleeping for 3 hours daily and he kept accepting commercials, endorsement like crazy. It was even rumoured that he intended to go into singing and his hallyu King status could be even stronger. This was the puzzling part. Being a Demon,  Shin Hyesung did not have to worry for his livelihood and why was he slogging so hard? Is there a huge secret to this?

It was at this time that Minwoo eyed me differently with that smirk mocking smiles. He seemed to be hesitant to speak his mind. I snorted for him to shoot his queries in case he contracted constipation.

Minwoo smirked," Ya Kim Dongwan, don't you think that you are too old to fan girl over such a young idol? For Heaven sake, Shin Hyesung was barely 20 years old. I am worried that you would be call weird slash ert ahjussi if the young fans see you drooling over him!"

I rolled my eyes at Minwoo and cursed him silently. What the hell, Shin Hyesung was more than 2,000 years old and what nonsense that he was barely 20 years old.

                                                             ********************************************************************************************************

Despite his soaring fame, Shin Hyesung accepted dramas one after and another and he never held any autograph session or promotion for any of his dramas. I was at my wits end and I even contemplated to masquerade as his crazy fan to trepass to the shooting area or TV station buildings but I had my pride and integrity to uphold. I just could not pluck up my courage to do that shameful thing. Suddenly I had a brilliant idea and I called my beloved cousin, Mun Junghuk. I doubt he would think so much of doing shameful act because he hardly used his brain. Keke.

Mun Junghuk was also a descendant of our Demon slayers clan and so he was kind of like my cousin or little brother. Mun Junghuk was a cheerful and optimistic guy and he believed that the world was beautiful. He was in the final years of his University and I started dialling his numbers. Come to think of it, it had been a long time since I last saw him.

After I returned to my office from lunch, my office door vanished! I peeped inside and saw Junghyuk on my sofa and he was curling himself up. He looked so depressed and was almost on the verge of tearing when he saw me," Hyung, I am so sorry. I did not torn down your office door on purpose. I swear that it was an accident."

I saw my door which was now lying on the floor and it was in 3 pieces. The small bit with the door knob was resting on the coffee table. There was some snacks and food on the coffee table as well. I could image what happened earlier. Junghyuk must have pulled out the door knob with slightly more strength and in his state of panic,  he tore down the door and broke it. The other colleagues in the nearby offices must have swarmed here after hearing the loud commotion. Probably, seeing that it wasJunghyuk and left him here, and they returned to their offices. Some of them could have brough some food and snacks for Junghyuk to console him.

"Junghyuk ah...."

Hearing my loud sigh, Junghyuk lowered his head and spoke in a shaky voice," Hyung, I am truly sorry."

I closed my eyes and rubbed my temple for a while before I plonked myself on the sofa next to Junghyuk. I patted his head," Don't worry about the door. I call you here because I have an important mission for you."

"Mission?" Junghyuk beamed and his eyes glittered (because of tears) with excitement," You need my help to interrogate the Demons? I am game."

Just like me inheriting the sight, Junghyuk inherited extraordinary human strength from his late parents. Since young, Junghyuk had been stronger than the other kids and the scary part was that his strength when exerted on Demons, was a lethal weapon. Hence the Mun family had the title of "The deadliest Demon slayers". However, Junghyuk had never used his strength on any Demons at all and he was constantly lamenting and whining this to me

"Don't joke Junghyuk. Do you think I am so cruel to grill Demon alive and forced them to be certified?" I snorted. I pulled Junghyuk to my computer and showed him a photograph of Shin Hyesung," Do you know him?"

Junghyuk widened his eyes," Nope. I don't know him and he looks ugly."

"......" I was speechless for while. "You.... say that he.... is ugly?"

"Yup." Junghyuk pointed at Shin Hyesung's chin," Look hyung. His chin is so sharp. " Next, Junghyuk pointed at Shin Hyesung's eyes," Look, his eyes are pointy sharp too. Don't you think that he looked like a fox? A guy who had all this features and it makes him looked ugly."

I applaused Junghyuk for his sharpness in his observations, silenty in my head. Of course, I couldn't tell Junghyuk that Shin Hyesung was a fox spirit as I was only suspecting him to be one. " Junghyuk, I need to see this Shin Hyesung in person and only you can help me."

"Only I can help you?" Junghyuk was grinning happily," No problem hyung. I will do whatever you say even if i have to lay down my life for you......." (the rest of the blabbering was cut off)

I heard that Shin Hyesung would be attending a variety show at SBS (Shinhwa Broadcasting Station). I informed Junghyuk of the tentative time and date that Shin Hyesung would be there.  I even purchased a fan club T shirt and placard for Junghyuk. The placard was a shinning LED board with the wording, " Saranghae,  Shin Hyesung".

Junghyuk took a look at the props that I took out for him and he squealed like a girl," Hyung, are all these your prized possession?"

"No!" I yelled out immediately and my face was red from anger.

Junghyuk sniggered and hung his arm over my shoulder," Hyung, don't be shy. I know how much you love this guy although i think he looks ugly. Nevertheless, I pledge with my life that I will get him for you without fail. Hee Hee. "

"Yah Mun bratty Junghyuk! It is not what you are thinking of!" I smacked Junghyuk's arm away.

Although I vehemently denied, Junghyuk looked at me with a meaningful look and giggled,"Hyung. See you are turning red beacuseI saw through your lies. Hee Hee."

What the hell! What have I gotten myself into this time?

                                                                                ***************************************************************************

5 days later, I instructed Junghyuk to charge into SBS building while I was sitting at the cafe opposite SBS building, overseeing everything.

Junghyuk really acted like Shin Hyesung's die hard fan and he kept screaming," Shin Hyesung" while waving the placard wildly and barged inside. He was stopped at the lift lobby and instantly, he charged towards the furthest lift. The few security guards there were trying to stop Junghyuk but they were not match for Junghyuk's strength. One man per shove and all the security guards were sent flying off on the ground.

The studio that Shin Hyesung was to be in the recording, was located at the tenth floor and Junghyuk successfully entered into the lift. The security guards had stood up from the floor but they dared not go after Junghyuk and could only see the lift door shut in their face.

Now, it was my cue to assume my role. I ran into SBS building and spoke to the receptionist and the security guards. Apparently, they had not recovered from the shock earlier and they just looked at me in a daze. I told them that the guy who just ran inside was my dongsaeng but he was a little off from being a normal person and I am the only one who could restraint him from doing anything crazy.

My deduction worked as I guessed that their brains were not operationally functioning and believed the lame excuses that I conjoured up. They even entered the lift with me just to show me the way. One of the burly security guards asked me timidly if Junghyuk learnt taekwando or other form of martial arts previously as he explained that he felt his bones breaking after the shove.

"Yes. He was the youngest black belter in the country and was ever in the National youth team. He must have taken mercy on you all because you all are able to walk and talk. Later let me go and talk to him while you all stand at a distant away. This is for your safety."

The security guards were shocked and they even thanked me for the alert. I was laughing in glee and mocked at their level of IQ.

Soon we reached the studio but the recording had not started. The MC and the guests had arrived. I looked at the commotion at the far end whereby Junghyuk was surrounded by many people. None of them dared to go near him and they were requesting for reinforcement on their walkie talkies.

I scanned my surroundings and saw Shin Hyesung sitting on a couch while the other guests were huddling together in fear. Only Shin Hyesung was calm and composed. Shin Hyesung looked prettier in person than what I had seen on the TV. I saw his true form: the white glaring coat of fur, the soul snatching eyes, razor sharp teeth and claws and...... One two.... Nine tails.

I am doomed that my suspicion came true. Shin Hyesung was the legendary 9-tails fox spirit! The power of fox spirits was based on the number of tails that they had. For the super rare 9-tails fox spirit, no one knew their power and I suspected that it could be level AAA.

Huh what is level AAA if you ask me. I would simply said that it's power matched that of the lowest ranked of the 4 Heavely mystical creature - Phoenix! I recalled reading somewhere that during the rebirth of a Phoenix some 500 years ago, the outburst of its power wiped out the Demons within 5,000 km radius and even the Level A Demons were not spared!

If the top management knew of the existence of such a invincible Demon, I could bet with my head that they would not be able to eat and rest for months if this Demon was roaming freely here. I think many of them would ask for early retirement and escaped away.

I had achieved what I came for and I gave a subtle signal for Junghyuk to retreat.

"This is absurd!" I pushed through the human crowd and roared at Junghyuk," You are to come home with me this minute!"

"Oh no!" Junghyuk pretended to be terrified of me and started shivering in fear. Junghyuk started to whimper and begged me to show mercy, yelling out apologies to everyone.

Seeing everyone still in the shocked mode, I pulled Junghyuk harshly to go off. Alas, before we could make our getaway, a lazy voice sounded," Don't think that you two can go scot free after creating such a scene here!"

I quicken my pace as I sensed danger lurking but we were blocked by the reinforcement troop who just stepped out of the lift.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Shin Hyesung got up from his couch and he opened his foxy eyes wide," PD-nim, leave this matter to me to handle since it was my fan who started all this."

Shin Hyesung came up to us and at this close up range, he looked out of this realm. He lowered his head and whispered loud enough for us to hear," Right my dear little Demon slayer?"

I felt my heart stopped and shivers sent down my spine. Our idenitties as Demon slayers were top secret and no one except a handful in the Internal Security Department knew about it! Those who knew about our identities had to sign the 'Official Secrecy Agreement' and how on earth did Shin Hyesung knew?

While I was deep in my thoughts, Junghyuk had started his attack.

"Go hyung while I handle the uglying!" He threw his placard aside and slammed his palms hard on Shin Hyesung's body. Shin Hyesung did not expect this and he was caught off guard. I saw Shin Hyesung being flung to the other side of the studio and I was not exaggerating to say that I saw 2 foot trails on the floor which resembled that of tyre track trail when you did a sudden e-brake.

The whole studio was dead silence and no one seemed to be breathing. How I wish that I inherited the gift of vanishing and not sight.

Shin Hyesung looked at the 2 clear palm marks on his shirt and he laughed," So it's two of you."

Shin Hyesung walked up to Junghyuk," Are you from the Mun clan?"

"Eh, how did you know?" Junghyuk looked confused.

I slapped my hand over Junghyuk's mouth before he leaked out any more details. This idiot Junghyuk had been tricked by the cunning fox!