Chapter 4 - Eunhae

Demon Appraiser

I am Kim Dongwan and I am a Demon Appraiser. The visitors that came to me were abnormal being or rather the normal human beings would not come to see me.

But today, a human came knocking at my office and I was elated. He is Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk is a senior trainer. He was charming and smiley and he was a superb trainer who led Squad 3. His private life remained the topic of gossiping among us who knew Eunhyuk well.  Eunhyuk was still single and I wondered if there was anything wrong with his mental state...

Once, there was a sweet girl who took a fancy to Eunhyuk and his superior decided to be the matchmaker for them. A blind date was arranged for them at a nice restaurant but....

---Flash back----

"Boss, you can't be kidding me. I do not wish to waste her precious years with me."

"What are you spouting about? You are a young and promising officer here."

"Won't do boss. You recall that you commented on my hygiene issues last week? Saying that I would never find a decent partner and I had to remain a bachelor forever."

Eunhyuk's superior's face darken while the lady left hurriedly. Probably due to embarrassment of being rejected. Since then, no one tried to be a matchmaker for Eunhyuk but not for me! I love matchmaking him with all girls and in actual fact, I wanted to see his excuses to reject them and the awkwardness he faced when the girls were insistent....

---End of flash back----

When Eunhyuk came to my office, I was so happy because he hardly came by to visit me, his old pal. I had intended to arrange for a group gathering with Minwoo, Eunhyuk and some other old friends next week.

I saw a fish swimming into my office after Eunhyuk. My right eye could see the Demons' true form which no one else could see. Currently, I am not wearing my glasses which had a special right len to block my sight and so I saw the fish.

It was unusual to see a big fish swimming into my office and moreover it was struggling against Eunhyuk's grasp. I had a sudden urge to cook the fish in Hong Kong style or deep fried it with sweet and spicy sauce. Because I had not have my breakfast yet.

However, I was attending to someone when Eunhyuk came in with his pet fish?! My visitor appeared to be a rich woman and she insisted that the toy boy that she had was a vampire. She insisted that I go to her place to see it for myself when I doubted it was vampire bites mark on her neck. To me, the bites seemed like mosquito bites but she insisted that it had two punch holes. I told her that it could be fleas bites and advised her to bring her pet for regular grooming to prevent fleas. The woman blew up her top and shouted that I am wasting tax payer's money. (Me: Helloooooo, I also pay taxes okay!) Being a civilized civil servant, I had to squeeze a smile to her," Goodbye."

Eunhyuk was different and he rolled his eyes," madam, if you like to make a complaint, you can do so at the office on level 3, right side after you come out from the lift!"

"Yes. I am going there right now!"

My eyes were wide open when I saw the woman rushing out of my office and I glared at Eunhyuk.

"What? I had made a check before I come. Your superior will not in till next month and so I dare her to make the complaint."

"....." I am speechless. I felt like slapping Eunhyuk and cahsed him out of my office with a broom.

Eunhyuk dragged the fish into my office forcefully and slammed the door shut, locking it. Eunhyuk gave me his famous gummy smile and pointed at the fish," Wannie, let me introduce you to my son."

"Get out!" I was furious. Eunhyuk was pulling a greatest lame joke; how could he had a demon as his son.

Eunhyuk scratch his head," Er put it this way, this kid is adopted by me. I found him."

"Get lost!" If it was so easy to find demons, then what the hell the government needed me here. They could just go around picking up Demons to form the Special Force.

Eunhyuk pushed the fish in front of me," Relax. Can you help me to determine what sort of demon he is. Do not certify him okay?"

"......"

I already said those who came to me were abnormal!

                                                              *******************************************************************************************

Since ancient time, Man kind and Demons had been constantly at wars, never ending wars. The number of Demons surged rapidly after the millennium and chaos was everywhere. The Demonic realm threatened to force open a portal to link the Mortal realm to the Demonic realm, making entrance to Mortal realm without hinderance. 365 Demon slayers from the 9 clans struggled through 3 days and 3 nights, sacrificing themselves. Their blood tainted the earth and thus formed the barrier shield over this realm.

Even though there was the shield protecting us but it had flaws. There were mountains which fell outside the shield and Demons tried to attack us from those areas. With very low number of Demon slayers left now, the government set up a special unit which no one heard of, except for the top Management and a handful of people, like myself. 

The unit was termed Special Force and groomed a batch of Demon trainers. And Eunhyuk was one of them. His task was to assess the power of the Demons and trained them till they were ready to be sent out to the battleground. Eunhyuk would be leading and commanding his squad in the battlefield.

3 years ago, which was also the 7th years that Eunhyuk became a Demon trainer, he was leading his squad in the battlefield in an island.

The enemies were some large slow Demons and none of them was above level 4. Despite the huge numbers of them, they posed no threat to Eunhyuk's squad, which comprised of highly trained Demons by Eunhyuk. It was smooth sailing and 5 days later, it was victory for Squad 3 while the Demons retreated into their realm.

Walking through the battlefield, Eunhyuk's attention was captured by a small box. It was rectangular in shape and about the size of a lighter. It was emitting faint glow in the dark ground. Eunhyuk merely pocketed it.

Given Eunhyuk's character, he simply forgotten about the box. He was pulled to attend a party to celebrate his victory and he was forced to drink the beer, mug after mug. Eunhyuk was not used to this usual celebration but he had no excuse to reject it, especially it was an order from the higher Management. 

Upon reaching home, he threw his jacket onto the sofa and went into the kitchen to cook some ramen. While cooking, a baby appeared at his feet. Eunhyuk dropped the chopstick, the noodle burnt and his tipsyness gone.

It took Eunhyuk 10 minutes to accept that there was a baby in his house. 

The baby strangely did not cry or fuss about but merely closed his eyes. Eunhyuk cautionly approached the baby to check on him and was relieved to find him sleeping. Clumsily, Eunhyuk took a large towel and wrapped around the baby.

Eunhyuk was staring at the baby and looked around his apartment. The windows in his apartment was shut and he was wondering where on earth did the baby came from. Eunhyuk had seen worst scene in battlefield and in his first battle, his mentor praised him for his calmness. Only Eunhyuk knew then: there was no turning back against the Demons and so he had to force himself to cast away his fear, to go all out in the war if he wanted to survive. 

Eunhyuk spied the jacket that was on the ground and the little box that fallen out of the pocket. The box was opened and inside was a torn plastic bag. Eunhyuk knew what had happened. He was not any ordinary baby but a Demon baby. Eventually, Eunhyuk decided to sleep and before that, he covered the baby with a blanket and placed him on the sofa.

The next day, Eunhyuk wanted to sleep longer but he woke up instantly when he recalled that there was a baby in his apartment. 

Eunhyuk rushed to the sofa and saw a lump underneath the blanket. Eunhyuk moved the blanket a bit and saw that the baby was still sleeping. What surprised Eunhyuk was that the baby appeared to be bigger than last night and his hair grew, like seaweed. It confirmed Eunhyuk's suspicion that he was a Demon baby because he grew over the night. Suddenly, Eunhyuk felt frightened.

The sleepiness was all gone and Eunhyuk wanted to send the baby to my side for a check. Eunhyuk stretched his hand and touched the baby, the baby sniffed his noise and wrinkled his face (which was not much bigger than Eunhyuk's palm), trying to snuggle back to his blanket.

Eunhyuk stopped his movement and swallowed the lump in his throat as he watched the baby. The baby moved his little hand to smack Eunhyuk's hand away. Once... Twice till Euunhyuk pulled the blanket over him. At that moment, the stones hearted Eunhyuk was reduced into a crying mess.

Eunhyuk went to make boil some milk for the baby and blew the spoonful of milk before feeding the baby. Needless to say, the baby did not stir at all. Despite being ignored, Eunhyuk smiled like an idiot and muttered to himself," I am so stupid cos demon baby doesn't drink milk. Keke."

Eunhyuk decided to keep the baby secretly without letting the top Management knowing about it. Eunhyuk was well aware of the secret survelliance from the Department and he was extremely caution of his surroundings.

First, Eunhyuk dismantled his hand phone to prevent his calls from being taped. Next, he checked every corners and nooks of his apartment and managed to uncover 3 pin hole cameras. Luckily, they were faulty and Eunhyuk believed that the top Management  trusted him till they never come to fix it.

Thereafter,  Eunhyuk wore a wig and sprayed his skin tanned. Yes, Eunhyuk disguised himself. He took out his own personal hand phone which could not trace his whereabouts before he went out for house hunting. Eunhyuk took an interest in a small apartment unit which comprised of a living room, a bedroom and a baby room. It was the baby room which made Eunhyuk decided to rent it. The landlord agreed to leave the baby cot and the furniture for Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk took out the fake ID card to sign the lease agreement.

Very soon, Eunhyuk shifted into the place with the baby. At the same time, Eunhyuk bought a lot of baby stuffs from online shopping such as diapers, milk bottles, pacifiers, toddler clothing's,  shoes, walker, baby pram, bathing tub etc.... Even the delivery man was shocked at the tremendous amount of stuffs that Eunhyuk bought which came in boxes. Each boxes was about the size of a fridge?!

Eunhyuk opened up everything and stored them in the baby room and store room. He pulled out a hand book and a DVD 'Caring for your child' which was a complimentary gift from the merchant. Eunhyuk spent the next few hours watching the DVD carefully and noted that a baby would remember his name if the parents called out repeatedly.

Eunhyuk slapped himself when he realized that he had not name the baby. Eunhyuk even took out the dictionary to check out words which would match the status of a Demon baby and felt that it should sound classic and bossy, King? Dragon? Terminator? Saviour?

Eunhyuk sought the baby's agreement but he receive no reply as the baby never open his eyes. From the time that Eunhyuk decided to adopt the baby till they moved into the new house, the baby had never woke up for a few days.

Even when Eunhyuk changed the clothing, or bath him; the baby merely wrinkled his face slightly to show his displeasure of being disturbed. The baby did not need to change diaper (no pooing or peeing!), did not need to eat! The baby merely sleep and he pouted cutely when Eunhyuk poked at his chubby soft cheeks. Eunhyuk was chuckling whenever he poked the baby's face as he was too adorable. Eunhyuk was also glad that a demon baby was so easy to take care of, no fuss and hassle.

Eventually, Eunhyuk named the baby Donghae which sounded nice and easy to pronounced.

Lee Donghae was now the son of Lee Eunhyuk.....