Chapter 6 - Eunhae

Demon Appraiser

 It was no joke to look after a kid, especially for Minwoo and myself.

Donghae refused to go home with me or with Minwoo and he insisted to remain in my office. Donghae was hugging the sofa in my office and gave a very torturous look when we tried to bring him home. In the end, Minwoo and I decided to respect Donghae's wish and we locked him in my office. Being a Demon, Donghae would not be starved to death or suffocated to death. But, we couldn't tell Eunhyuk about this because I want to see the next sunrise.

In the middle of the night, I woke up knowing that I had locked a kid in my office and I felt so guilty. Hence, I began cooking some kimchi ramen as breakfast for Donghae.

There was no one in my office! I mean no fish!

I panicked thinking about the 1001 ways that Eunhyuk would murder me! Eunhyuk had turned almost insane for Donghae by carrying a disturbance device with him to mask out the CCTV cameras. If Eunhyuk learnt that I had misplaced Donghae, I think I would become another missing person in the Police database.

I must had placed the food container on the coffee table when I lost in my wild imagination of Eunhyuk chopping me up that I realized the sofa moved. From underneath the sofa, a dusty kid crawled out and he came before the coffee table and looked longingly at the food container.

I looked relieved and patted away the dust on Donghae. I opened up the food container and shoved a fork into his hand. Very soon, Donghae was wolfing down the ramen. I was curious: Did fish like to sleep under the sofa?

In the afternoon, Eunhyuk called me and checked on Donghae. I assured that Donghae was fine, had food and took a nap. Currently, he was interacting with the gold fish in the fish tank. I just borrowed the tank of gold fish from the neighboring office.

Eunhyuk was quiet for a while and he told me to go to a corner whereby Donghae couldn't hear me. I took off to the far end of my office and at the same time, I could watch over Donghae.

Eunhyuk sounded very tired," I had thought over it and I suspected that Donghae missed home. It had been 3 years. I intend to send him to the entrance of the Demonic realm."

I gasped," Eunhyuk, are you out of your mind? Going there alone is risky! You could just send him back to the place that you found him. Once he got out of the barrier shield, he will regain his power and could swim back home."

"Dongwan, I just wanted to make sure that Donghae gotten home safe and sound."

I did not know how to respond and switched the topic," Eunhyuk, are you okay? Because I saw you yesterday and you don't look too good."

"Ya, I am not feeling well especially having dizzy spells once in a while. I seen the doctor but he can't diagnose anything and believed that I was overworked."

"Your son is a Demon and he won't starve to death or what. You shouldn't worry over him too much. Your job is taxing and you should take rest when you can, especially take leave to rest."

Eunhyuk chuckled at the other end," I am going for a battle tonight. Once it ended, I am going to apply for a long vacation."

"Good, what about Donghae? You bringing him for vacation too?"

"I will just leave him with you, Dongwan. I trust Donghae with you."

I started yelling into the phone," Lee Eunhyuk! My place is not a child care centre and I am not a nanny!"

Eunhyuk totally ignored me," Keke, I want to see and speak to my son, can you put us on real time?"

I was speechless," Ya, you just separated from your beloved son for merely a day only!"

"Dongwan, please." Eunhyuk tried doing a cute face at me.

I gave up not for his cuteness but the disgustedness. I spent a lot amount of strength just to get Donghae over to my phone. Donghae blinked his eyes while staring at Eunhyuk. Once, he saw Eunhyuk, he turned cheerful.

Eunhyuk was really a naggy father, reminding Donghae to listen to me, to be obedient and not to be naughty. Eunhyuk rattled on the Dos and Don't to Donghae. Finally, Eunhyuk gave his gummy smile," Donghae, once I win this battle; I will rest for a month or two. We go for a nice vacation? How about going to Mt Everest to see the snow? I had been there once and everything looked magical. I know that you will like it. So we settled as that?"

Donghae suddenly ran away and sat in a corner. Donghae brought his knees to his chest and buried his head on his knees. I saw Donghae's shoulders trembled slightly.

I looked at the shocked Eunhyuk and explained," Your son is crying in a corner and I think he misses you."

                                                        ************************************************************************************

Squad 3's luck had alway been good. This battle was clearly to Eunhyuk's advantage. He deployed flying Demons from their high spot to counter the enemy, comprising mostly  of slow land moving Demons. Eunhyuk was winning.

Together with Minwoo and Donghae, we saw the image of the battle and the most lasting image was the battle cheer. It sounded quite lame which went like: Squad 3 Squad 3.... Fighting.....". Minwoo and I were rubbing our forehead in disgust while Donghae was very interested in everything.

It had been a while that we had such a easy victory and the top Management was placing importance on this. Before Eunhyuk was back, congratulatory banners were hung everywhere.

Before Eunhyuk returned, he called me and said that he missed Donghae. Till the extent that he was unable to sleep well at night. I joked that he was becoming a ert and told him to see a doctor fast. Deep down, I knew that Eunhyuk had a soft spot despite his toughness.

The day that Eunhyuk returned, he managed to slip away from the victory celebration for a while and rushed to see Donghae. Eunhyuk even threatened me that he would not show me mercy if he discovered Donghae losing weight.

Minwoo and I arranged to bring Donghae to meet Eunhyuk at a little garden near the venue of his victory celebration.

When I saw Eunhyuk, I was shocked. Eunhyuk had lost so much weight that his cheek bones appeared. He definitely need a long good rest after this battle.

Eunhyuk came over and hugged Donghae," My long leave application is approved. Though my boss grumbled a long time, we can finally go to Mt Everest to see the snow."

Donghae remained still for a while before he struggled in Eunhyuk's embrace. The way that Donghae struggled was not like a kid throwing tantrums.

At this time, I saw changes to Donghae's body through my glasses. Near the position of the eyes, there was a slit and Donghae started to tremble badly.

Suddenly, I recalled seeing an ancient writings in one of my grandfather's book. I remembered the content saying that a kind of fish Demon was naturally born without eyes and was reared by a human. One day, the gill and eyes appeared on the fish Demon, the human collapsed and died. Though this had never been verified, I felt uneasy and screamed," Eunhyuk, let go of Donghae!"

It was too late. I saw a pair of blood-shot eyes appearing on Donghae.

Eunhyuk released Donghae and Donghae ran off towards unknown direction. Minwoo and I did not go after Donghae because Eunhyuk had fell onto the ground.

Minwoo rushed to Eunhyuk and held his fingers over his pulse," What happened? Eunhyuk fainted suddenly?"

I was panicking and began to speak incoherently," I don't know... Donghae... He caused it... I don't know...."

Minwoo was calmer than me and he shook me," Dongwan, calm down and call for ambulance fast!"

I fished out my mobile phone and dialed 119. My voice cracked when I spoke," Faster, we need help..."

I saw Minwoo was trying to resuscitate Eunhyuk and finally, Eunhyuk opened his eyes, and gave a weak smile. Minwoo heaved a sign of relief and told me to watch over Eunhyuk while he tried to find a first aid box.

I dared not move Eunhyuk and I whispered to him," Eunhyuk, stay with me. Do not sleep! Stay with me and do you heard me?"

Eunhyuk panted," Dongwan, I do not want to sleep either."

"Eunhyuk, don't scare me. Minwoo went to look for first aid box and help."

"I don't want to...."

Eunhyuk was talking very slowly and at this moment, Minwoo came back. Minwoo had some syringe with him," Eunhyuk, I am going to inject something to you. Please I know that you are scared of injection."

While Minwoo was rolling up Eunhyuk's sleeves, Eunhyuk kept his best to speak," I knew that this day will come..... Please don't be alarm.... Maybe it is the last for me and I felt that I can hang on to another 10 minutes....."

My tears was threatening to flow," Ya Handsome Eunhyuk, I beg you to stop talking. You aren't this talkactive at all!"

Eunhyuk was having breathing difficulties," Let me finish my last words else my spirit will not rest in peace.."

I did not know what to so but to caution Eunhyuk not to curse himself because he would be okay.

"When my mom left a few years ago, I was alone in this world. I sat on my sofa and dazed only. This happened daily for a long time. I did not know how much sleep I had back then... Whatever the television was playing, I could not understand a single word. I was feeling that time was like a snail. I knew that I will not live long when I became a trainer. initially, there was about twenty of us but now left 2 of us. Once I am gone, my chort will be left with 1 trainer."

I was wiping my tears and hurling vulgarities, cursing that the ambulance was so slow.

It was the torturous few minutes when the ambulance arrived. They carried Eunhyuk inside the vehicle. Minwoo and I flashed our staff pass and we went inside with Eunhyuk.

The paramedics wanted to put the oxygen mask over Eunhyuk but the fella resisted," No, I will feel uncomfortable wearing it. Let me talk.... Please..."

"Lee Eunhyuk, don't be a brat at this time!" I yelled at Eunhyuk.

Minwoo patted me," Dongwan, let Eunhyuk speak..."

"I am scared of loneliness... I want to have a family but.... The situation does not permits.... I was afraid that I will die earlier than my wife.... Wasted a girl's previous youth to be a widow....tell you all a secret.... I like the girl that my supervisor match made me with.... Nice legs, slim waist...."

I muffled my sobs and croaked," You are a ert and hell will be in chaos of you report there. You will be fine!"

"I found Donghae.... I suddenly had motivation to live... I loved kids.... Donghae was so cute and handsome and I was a proud dad when people complimented him..... And said that Donghae took my good genes... Hahaha.... Coughs coughs.... I saved a lot of money and I am going to pamper Donghae to the max..."

Minwoo smiled," Buddy, hang on there... You are going to be promoted.... We still need you to take care of us once you are promoted..."

Eunhyuk motioned me to go closer to him and I place my ear near his mouth," I am not going to make it.... I know my own body and health.... It is getting worse each day.... Cough coughs.... Donghae kept growing each day.... I knew that I had to bring Donghae to you for assessment but I can't bear it.... I now understand the feeling of a parent...."

The vehicle hit a hump and my tears dropped onto Eunhyuk's body," Eunhyuk, I begged you to hang on and stop blabbering nonsense."

Eunhyuk struggled to reach out to something and we grabbed his hand," Please do not blame Donghae.... He is my son..." Eunhyuk tighten his grasp on us," Please grant my last request.... " Eunhyuk whispered and next, he shut his eyes.

Eunhyuk was in the operations theatre and the top Management rushed to the hospital. Eunhyuk never make it and his cause of death was organs failure. When Eunhyuk was pushed out, I burst into tears and blamed myself for not realizing about Donghae early.

Minwoo hugged me and spoke sternly," Dongwan, I forbid you to be like this. It was Eunhyuk's decision and not your fault."

We saw Donghae at the hospital's entrance and he probably ran after the ambulance to get here but he dared not come close. Donghae saw us and his eyes went red. Donghae gestured wildly with his hands and he was trying to say something to us.

Minwoo went over to Donghae and initially I assumed that he would hit Donghae. Minwoo did not do so but he clenched his fists. After a while, he patted Donghae's shoulders," Go and see him for the last time."

In the mortuary, Eunhyuk looked like he was just asleep but he would never open his eyes again.

Donghae opened his mouth and panted while touching Eunhyuk's handsome face.

"A....Appa." It was the first time that Donghae spoke but it was the saddest word I had heard as though my heart was torn into pieces. The dreary voice which drummed through my ear and shot straight to my heart. I saw tears rolling down in Donghae's true form. 

My tears flowed non stop while Minwoo shifted his gazes.

A simple but somber funneral was held for Eunhyuk. The original promotion ceremony became a funeral event. This was least expected from anyone.

I bet Eunhyuk did not know that so many came to see him for the last time and the flower wreath could easily stood in hundreds.

The 99 Demons of Squad 3 came and did the squad formation before Eunhyuk's coffin. They shouted their battle cheer in a loud but cracking voice. Those present were all reduced to tears after hearing it.

Donghae could not appear at the funeral and he came after everyone had left. He stood by Eunhyuk's coffin with a incomprehenable expression.

Donghae mentioned he was an outcast in his race because he was a sign of bad luck. Donghae had to other's energy in order to live and grow. Hence, Donghae was sealed in the box before he was awaken to his final form. 

Donghae was abandoned into mortal realm not by mistake but with a malicious intent of his race. When Eunhyuk picked up the box in the battle field, a curse was form and sealed between the two of them. Eunhyuk became his host. Whenever, Donghae was near to Eunhyuk, he had to Eunhyuk's energy till Eunhyuk's last breathe.

When Donghae was freed, he did not think that Eunhyuk deserve to live since he was a human. As days went by, Donghae felt the kindness in Eunhyuk and he regretted. Therefore, Donghae escaped from Eunhyuk on numerous occasions. He wanted to save Eunhyuk's life. As his true form had no eyes, couldn't speak or write; he had no way to alert Eunhyuk, other than to escape.

Lastly, Donghae begged me to certify him so that he could join Eunhyuk's squad and to do something for Eunhyuk.

I rejected Donghae outright and he cried non stop. Because Eunhyuk's last request to me was never to certify Donghae.

----flash back of Eunhyuk's last words in the ambulance-----

"After being a trainer, I experienced too much life and death, pain and sorrow. I do not wish Donghar to go through all this..."

-----end of flash back---

Donghae was persistent and he kept coming to my office to beg me to certify him. If I closed my door, Donghae would kneel outside. I told Donghae to stop doing all this but he said that he would never give up unless he was dead.

I instructed the security guard not to let Donghae into the premises but Donghae knelt outside the security office till the guards could not bear to refuse his entry.

The top Management came to know about Donghae and his crazy action and they had called me for questioning.

Finally Minwoo came and talked senses to Donghae, "Donghae, you are a lowly level 5 Demon and do you think you will be recruit into Squad 3? You are anything but burden to them."

Donghae face turned pale and he replied a sorry and he left. It was the last time I saw Donghae. I believed he returned to the Demonic realm which was his home. It was good as it was what Eunhyuk had wanted for Donghae.

                                                                 ****************************************************************************

It was about a year after Eunhyuk's death that I received Minwoo's call.

When Squad 3 lost Eunhyuk, their battle ability was not as strong before and they had been battling at Black island hfor weeks. Minwoo was deployed there to treat the injuries.

Minwoo continued saying that the enemies comprised of thousands of level 3 Demons and Squad 3 was losing. Just as Squad 3 was retreating into the shield for a breather, someone ran towards the enemies and.... It was blood shed everyehere.... The enemies suffered serious damage.

"It was the worst and bloodiest scene I saw in my life. The person just exploded himself and it was gruesome."

"Minwoo, who.... was him...." I was shivering because Minwoo would not be telling this for nothing.

 Minwoo's voice was choking," according to the others in Squad 3, his form was a fish with blood-shot eyes."

I stopped breathing because my worst fear came true.

It was months later that I got a chance to watch the scene of the battle. I saw Donghae and he ran straight into the enemies base. Thereafter, a bright light and explosion was heard. I heard Donghae shouted the battle cheer....

Minwoo added that while they were cleaning up in the battle field, he found something which was ascertained to be human's remains after some experiment.

I could image in my head, Donghae had with him; Eunhyuk's ashes which we had secretly gotten out for Donghae then. Eunhyuk fulfilled his promise to Donghae. I believed that they were admiring the snowy world together now. It was definitely the most beautiful sight in mortal realm.

"Goodbye Lee Eunhyuk and Lee Donghae............." I whispered softly while looking up at the skies.