Chapter 2 - Ricsyung

Demon Appraiser

In the afternoon, I received Minwoo's call. 

Minwoo was a specialist doctor with the Special Unit. He verified some details with me regarding the file titled: 0216, Eric Jung.

Eric clearly did not heed my advice as Minwoo informed me that Eric requested to go for the operation, wanting to skip Minwoo's explanation on the procedure of the operation. Eric merely jumped onto the operation bed.

The process to get the identification was painful and scary. Firstly, the Demons would be operated without being administrating any anesthetics! The knife just cut through their body so as to implant a device which neutralize the effect of the shield. Thereafter, a mini bomb would be implant into the soul which was to control over them. Should any Demons defy the instruction laid upon them, the bomb would be activated automatically, destroying their souls. All that left of the Demons would be just dust and ash.

I felt uncomfortable when I recalled this. Minwoo seemed to be a dimwit because he simply could not sense my feeling from the tone of my voice. Instead, Minwoo blabbed on and on that Eric was a rare spiece of Demon which he had not came across. Minwoo praised Eric highly, citing how fearless and strong Eric was. Other Demons would turn berserk during the operation and had to be restraint by a few trainers. However, Eric just gripped hard on the side of the bed and let out a few low growls. Minwoo mentioned that he was in awe that Eric did not seem like a young Demon.

I could not bear it and just told Minwoo that I am busy.

"Are you feeling sad for Eric?" Minwoo's gentle voice sounded over the phone.

I remained silent.

"Damn you, Kim Dongwan! Is your brain damaged after being cooped up in your office and doing nothing? To think that you have time to fret over a Demon. You are being too involved and emotional! I do hope that you turned inhumane. Have you forgot the battle which had wiped out all your kind? If so, I would gladly dragged you to the battle field myself and let you see the reality!"

With that, Minwoo slammed the phone.

I knew that I should not be like this, getting to involved with the Demons. My Director had spoken to me about this issue and told me to focus on my job! Indirectly, I was told to be cold hearted towards the Demons because they killed human freely and they caused the pain to Mankind, and to the state that I was in.

I knew. I knew what the Demons did to Mankind and to my clans. 

However, I could not feel at ease and I took out Eric's form. My heart was telling me that I needed to do something for him.

I followed the address stated in the form and came to find Eric. He was staying in the outskirts of the town. The building looked pleasant enough on the outer appearance while the interior was like ruins. The staircase was creaking loudly when I climbed on it, fearing that it would give way any time.

I looked through the unit number and located Eric's place which was the last door of the long, dark and damp corridor. There wasn't any door bell. I stopped and knocked on the chipping wooden door.

After some knocks, the door opened by itself. It was not locked! I shouted if anyone was inside as it was impolite to go in like this.

Suddenly, I felt hot breathe behind me and instinctively, I turned and stood in combat stance. Eric was behind me and his eyes were wide and shocked upon seeing me.

"What? Are you intending to silence me off?" I smirked.

Eric retracted his sharp claws after realizing it was me," No, I thought you are a thief."

Eric was certified and he could use his power at ease. Hence, he could deal with anyone with ease and he shouldn't be so tense up. My view landed inside the unit," You do not have to lie to me. You are being guilty conscious and I bet there is something in the unit that made you behave like this!"

Eric was indeed a young Demon and his emotion was seen clearly on his face. He was rather nervous with sweats rolling down his face. Eric was a fire type Demon and so he was heated up easily.

I did not have my glasses on today and I saw his human form. Eric looked normal today without the exaggerated touch up when he was at my office. He looked at any typical teenager of about 18 years old.

"What happen?" The room door in the unit opened and a young boy with fair complexion appeared. Or should I said a young boy with pale looking face and weak voice appeared.

I looked at the boy, he was a human.

Eric pointed to me frantically and mentioned, "He is... My boss."

The boy cocked his head," Huh Eric? I thought you said that your boss from the convenient store is a female?"

Eric stood frozen like a statue and he was stuttering the whole time. I pitied Eric that he was trying so hard to come up with a lie and so I stepped in," I am from the Head office. Christmas is coming and I am here to pay visit to staff as a routine."

From the corner of my eyes, I spied Eric letting out a huge sigh. I think I know something. Being a 3rd party now, I deliberately asked," Er... Am I.... Disturbing you lovers?"

Just as I expected, Eric's face turned very red as if blood would burst out anytime.

Eric sent me out and he was quiet. I waved at him and walked on the pavement; not expecting Eric to be following me. Like an instinct, I turned around and saw him fidgeting.

"Er, can you not report this up?"

"I did not have such intention." I glanced at Eric," But you bear the consequence. You are a Demon while he is just an innocent human being."

Eric eyes darkened and he asked me if I had time to listen to his story..............

Eric was a Demon, born in the mortal realm and his parents returned to the Demonic realm, abandoning him here. Demons was unlike human, they did not nurse and brought up their off spring. They believed in the fittest survival theory.

For the first 50 years of his life, Eric could not turn into human form. In his own Demon form, he looked similar as any other puppy. 

Eric roamed mortal realm like a stray dog and he was used to this life. He would go to new places periodically and he would avoid offending the other strong Demons. Eric could survive by feasting the human aura known as 'Qi' in Mandarin or simply human energy. Eric assumed that he would live his life this way till an incident occured some 20 years later.

That day, as usual, Eric was roaming on the street when he saw a boy. He was tearings up and his first word was ," What a dirty dog."

It was the first time that Eric heard human voice and he could not really apprehend it. While Eric was still confused, the boy bought a meat bun and gestured to Eric.

Being a Demon, Eric did not need to eat any food. He merely gazed at the boy.

The boy assumed that Eric was scared and he tore up the bun to feed Eric. Though Eric did not know much, he sensed that the boy was not going to harm him. Eric just ate the food and the boy was squatting down, looking happily at Eric. When Eric finished eating, the boy forcefully carried Eric away despite his struggle.

Eric was adopted by a rich family and the boy was the second eldest son in the family. His name was Jung Pilkyo. Pilkyo was a smart and neat boy. Pilkyo gave Eric his name and adopted his surname.

"Now Eric Jung, this will be your home." Without waiting for Eric to understand, Pilkyo started to bath Eric. Eric had phobia for water and after a while, he passed out. Apart from occasional bathing, Pilkyo was a nice master.

Pilkyo loved to feed Eric, not caring if he liked the food or not. Pilkyo insisted leaving after seeing Eric finished up his food. Pilkyo loved to talk to Eric while hugging him. Slowly, Pilkyo would complain that Eric was getting too heavy for him to carry and just patted him by his side. Pilkyo also grumbled that he did not like the arranged marriage from his family and he would like to see the world just like his elder sister.

Eric slowly accustomed to the life of a domestic dog. Most of the time, Eric curled up next to Pilkyo and listened to him chatting away. Occasionally, Eric would close his eyes if he got bored of Pilkyo's non stop blabbering and snored away.