Chapter 21

Longing for you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

OMG AN UPDATE AFTER ALMOST A YEAR AND A HALF

Junsu lifted his menu card a bit and kept his head low the moment he saw Ilwoo enter the café. He made every effort to look invisible and it worked because Ilwoo completely disregarded others as he walked straight to Taemin.

It may also have to do with the fact that Taemin sounded so blessed when he told him about some “good news” that Ilwoo had completely overlooked everything but himself and Taemin.

“Hurry. I’ve got to get back to the office. Need to put on the good heir show.” Junsu heard Ilwoo say.

Ilwoo took a sip of the coffee in front of him. Taemin had ordered for both of them right after making a call. But Ilwoo frowned seeing Taemin had opted for orange juice over the usual coffee.

“Don’t you hate orange juice?”

“Cutting back on caffeine. I have to take good care of my health… for the next few months.”

One dark brow arched in scepticism. Taemin isn’t making sense to Ilwoo and neither is that coy blush on his wife’s cheeks. “Are you sick or something? I thought you called me for good news, not great news.”

Taemin pouted at Ilwoo’s taunt. Ilwoo can be a bastard 95% of the time, but he makes the worst-timed jokes. And he’s also dense to general human emotions after toying with a lot of people.

It won’t help to be bashful at this time. So Taemin pulls out an envelope from his bag and pushes it towards Ilwoo on the table.

“This better be good.” Ilwoo muttered, but Junsu caught that too. He unknowingly held his breath as Ilwoo opened the envelope and read a piece of paper.

Junsu could already guess what it is before Ilwoo was done but he doesn’t want to accept it. The thought was just dreadful.

He catches Ilwoo read the paper from the top again and Junsu bites his lip anxiously.

When he re-read the paper, Ilwoo looked up with wide eyes. Taemin was uncharacteristically coy, with his pink cheeks and pursed lips. He couldn’t even bring himself to look at his husband and Ilwoo has an errant thought that this is the first time Taemin has looked so appealing.

“is… is this real?” Ilwoo asked, hoping this isn’t one of Taemin’s schemes without keeping him in the loop. Cause damn he’s not going to allow any rogue plotting.

But when Taemin bits his lip and nods with a genuinely happy smile, Ilwoo can tell he’s not lying.

“How long?”

“A month… remember we celebrated after Yunho’s press conference?”

Junsu cupped his mouth before he let out a sound. This just makes things worse. Not for Ilwoo having the opportunity to become president with a potential heir, but because of the danger Jaejoong and Changmin are now in.

He hears a sound and looks again at his targets.

Ilwoo had leapt across the table to pull Taemin up and kiss him publicly. Taemin chuckled into the lip lock, never having been kissed like this before. Neither minded everyone in the café was gawking at their PDA.

Ilwoo parted briefly, his hands still hold Taemin’s face. “I was wrong… this is great news.” No one else could hear what Ilwoo whispered to Taemin. But the proximity and the keen ear he was listening with allowed Junsu to eavesdrop, “now all we have to do is get rid of Yunho and his little runt.”

Just as Junsu thought, Ilwoo’s got a legitimate heir on the way now. In a flash, Changmin went from Ilwoo’s safety net to a thorn that needs to go.

As he imagined all the worst possible scenarios, Junsu missed Taemin’s expression go from blissful to worried.

“Wh-what?” Taemin withdrew from Ilwoo fearfully, “what are you saying?” He looked around the place to check if anyone’s listening. At his movement, Ilwoo glared at the spectators and they all went back to their business.

With no one’s attention on them, including Junsu’s momentarily, Taemin whispered again, “I agreed to drive them away. You can do what you want to destroy them. But I don’t want blood on my hands. Especially not a child’s. I mean…are you even happy about being a father? Or are you just planning to use our child for your ambitions?”

Taemin didn’t miss how Ilwoo’s jaw tightened. If he still didn’t have his senses, he’d have moved far away from him to protect himself. But he knew what Ilwoo was capable of. So he didn’t recoil when Ilwoo cupped his face again.

“Why would you think I’m not happy about being a father? I’m over the moon.” Just like Taemin, Ilwoo spoke with uncharacteristic gentleness, “but you know what a critical time it is for us. Whatever I’m doing is for our child. Wouldn’t you want our baby to take over the Jung Empire one day?”

With a mix of fear and understanding, Taemin nodded. Of course he wants the best for his child. That’s why he went and got checked the moment he felt the symptoms. But he doesn’t think he can a raise a child when he’s responsible for the death of another child. Taemin can feel the rising conflict within him when he remembers he just made deal with Yunho. Now he’s got to pick a side.

Ilwoo doesn’t notice Taemin’s conflict while his mind has a lot of things plotting at once. First things first, he has to tell his father their goal is within their reach.

Junsu looked at the couple again when Ilwoo dragged Taemin out of there, presumably to plan how to make this news public.

As soon as they were gone, Junsu pulled out his phone and tried to call Yoochun. But like the thousand times before since Yoochun vanished without a trace, the call went to voicemail.

He felt hot tears of frustration as he dialled Yoochun’s number again and again.

~~~

Changmin giggled every time a funny sound came from the toy when Hana would press one of the many buttons and keys on it. Once in a while, he’d turn to his right and Tan Ajhumma would put a bite of apple in his mouth.

Seeing as Changmin’s fine and in good hands, Yunho and Jaejoong could step out of the room without that nagging feeling of worry.

They head out of the hospital to where Yoochun had just put his bag in Hankyung’s pickup truck. Hankyung himself was waiting behind the wheel to drive Yoochun to a nearby town where Yoochun would get a rental car and not let anyone trace where he is coming from.

“Do you really have to go back?” Yunho asked meaninglessly. Yoochun would be greater help back in Seoul. But Yunho has gotten used to his friend’s support.

“I should have gone the minute you arrived. I’m useless here.” Yoochun threw in exaggerated hand gestures much to the amusement of his friends, “besides, Junsu’s probably going crazy by himself. And I can help well if I’m there.”

He sat in the passenger seat, and waved at Yunho and Jaejoong from the window. “Take good care of my godson okay. I’ll see you guys soon.” He yelled just as Hankyung began driving.

“Who said you’re godfather!” Jaejoong playfully retorted to . Both parents laughed at Yoochun’s pouting face though all three of them knew Yoochun and Junsu have always been godparents to Changmin.

As they were driving out of the area, Hankyung noticed Heechul entering the hospital grounds with a plastic bag.

Hankyung doesn’t know what he was thinking, because Heechul wouldn’t bother reciprocating, but he finds himself waving at him. To his utter shock, Heechul casually waves back. He watches the reflection of Heechul in the side-view mirror wave back at him and he feels a flutter in his stomach.

“Why you smiling so goofily?” Hankyung flinched at looked at the man in the passenger seat. Yoochun looked visibly peeved and Hankyung doesn’t want admit the embarrassing feeling. So he just shook his head and briefly stuck his hand out to wave back at the man before turning out of sight.

When the truck was longer in view, Heechul resumed his walk back to the hospital with a smile he didn’t know matched Hankyung’s.

“Should I tell him?” Yunho whispered to Jaejoong about Heechul’s creepy grin and earned a half-hearted smack on his stomach in return. “Don’t you dare!”

They schooled their expressions right as Heechul came closer. “Hey Heechul! Where have you been? Ajhumma said you disappeared right after dropping off Hana.” Jaejoong stamped Yunho’s foot when the man about being so obvious.

Heechul is pretty sharp, so he noticed their weird expressions. But he couldn’t be bothered when he’s in such a good mood for some reason. “I had some work to do at city hall. I thought Ajhumma could babysit Hana in the meantime.”

“I’m so sorry we’re keeping you from your work. You’ve been such a great help.” Behind Jaejoong, Yunho nodded in gratitude.

“You’re not keeping me from my work. I’ve rarely taken offs, so I can afford to not go to work for at least a month. Today was just an emergency the substitute couldn’t handle. But they can handle the rest of things without me. I just picked up these on the way here because they were fresh.” Heechul showed the bag he was carrying, “Bungeoppang. Hana’s favourite.”

“Oooh! I was just getting hungry.” Yunho’s wriggly fingers reached for the bread but Heechul smacked them away. “There’s only enough for the kids idiot. You want them, then the shop is right outside the gate. And while you’re at it, get enough juice for everyone. I know you’re rich, so don’t you dare scrimp out.”

And with a huff, Heechul strutted into the building leaving Yunho and Jaejoong in the dust.

Yunho’s stomach chose that moment to growl much to the amusement of Jaejoong. Yunho pat his stomach to quiet down much like Jaejoong has seen Changmin do and now he knows where he picked up that habit from.

“Want to take a walk?” Jaejoong’s invitation had a hint of amusement. Not that Yunho didn’t like it. “As long as it ends with Bungeoppang.”

Jaejoong agreed and be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter