Chapter 11

Longing for you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks.

For two weeks, Jaejoong’s patience, endurance and love were tested.

Yunho was cold to him the entire time and Jaejoong was slowly running out of options. As much as he was getting hurt by Yunho’s unusual taciturnity, he was losing his patience and slowly his cool too.

Because in this past few days, Jaejoong has noticed that Yunho is extraordinarily friendly with Taemin.

Jaejoong is vary of Taemin since the incident few months ago but he was fine when Yunho promised to put some boundaries between them.

But now, Yunho was seen to be always hanging out with Taemin in the office. Even the other employees had noticed considering that none were too fond of Taemin and Ilwoo. It was just talking and laughing during lunch and when Yunho didn’t have much work.

And this from the man who said he was too busy to spend time with his wife and son. 

Even Dara who had noticed the tension between her boss and his wife was openly frowning at Yunho obviously snubbing Jaejoong in front of other employees and being too close with the bratty wife of Ilwoo. The secretary even tried to console Jaejoong once, but her words from 2 days ago only troubled Jaejoong more.

“Taemin-ssi’s husband is having an affair and the president is only comforting him.” What Dara didn’t know that Jaejoong is the alleged affair even though it’s false. Jaejoong appreciated her thoughtful gesture to comfort him but he knew how unsure she is herself. Dara and other employees still couldn’t fathom the cold shoulder the president is giving his own wife.

Jaejoong just wants one chance, so he could explain and tell Yunho the truth and fix things between them. He’s noticing their strained relationship is taking a toll on Changmin too.

The toddler has always been a daddy’s boy since he grabbed Yunho’s finger in the first hour he was born. Being ignored by Yunho and the being tended to by a distraught mother has made the boy gloomy and too depressed for a one year old.

His normally healthy appetite is gone and he takes an hour to drink milk that would normally take him 15 minutes. He’s not playing as much either. Yunho used to take him out to the park and now the boy refuses to go even with his great grandmother’s coaxing. He plays with his toy piano and soft toys, not even touching the legos he used to build tall towers with his father. He would sit in his crib at night while hugging his Bambi, waiting for Yunho to put him to sleep. He would fall asleep waiting.

Jaejoong knew he made a big mistake getting ensnared by Ilwoo’s charms in the beginning and he did and considered more stupid things. but when Yunho gave him a chance for salvation, he first grabbed it for the sake of his son.

Seeing his son now, he felt that Changmin is bearing the brunt of his and Yunho’s problem. And that made him more furious than sad.

For crying out loud! Yunho needed to stop being so aloof and face their problem or god forbid Jaejoong would lash out at him or better yet, at Taemin. Probably Ilwoo too but that would definitely end in murder.

Nevertheless, Jaejoong was going to talk and fix things with Yunho whether the tall male liked it or not.

Jaejoong was resolute today.

He stepped out of his and Yunho’s shared bedroom and tiptoed to the guest room where Yunho had been camping at for two weeks. He opened the door slightly and peeked inside before opening the door fully and sighing.

Yunho had once again left for office extra early to avoid Jaejoong.

Might as well have their confrontation discussion in the office. Jaejoong straightened up the bed and the towel and clothes mess Yunho had left in that room and went out. He woke up Changmin, who’s a little lethargic because he’s eating less than he normally does. The advantage of walking up early to look for Yunho is that Jaejoong could spend enough time feeding Changmin. Part of it is making a big spectacle of cooking. Changmin always gets excited seeing Jaejoong cook with such flare and it makes him more excited to eat. Jaejoong would do anything if it meant Changmin would have a bigger appetite.

He made lunch and prepared Changmin’s things to take him to the Jung manor. While there, Jaejoong didn’t even step inside the house. He handed Changmin to the first maid he saw and drove off. It’s been like that since a couple of days after Changmin’s birthday.

The wise old lady knows something is wrong and she wants to badly intervene. But Jaejoong doesn’t want to trouble her with their problems. He doesn’t feel it’s right to burden her and plus, he doesn’t want her to know about him and Ilwoo’s past relationship.   

Jaejoong walked across the office lobby. “Calm and cool….calm and cool….” He repeated like a litany. He didn’t want to lose his cool and say or do something stupid. He wanted to talk like a mature adult with Yunho.

“Good morning Jaejoong!” a girl from his current department greeted. Jaejoong gave her a slight bow in return. “Morning Prez’s wife!” a male from a group of their colleagues hollered. Jaejoong gave him a playful scowl as if he didn’t like it. really, some of the employees love teasing him just to see him blush. But he likes in the way he doesn’t feel out of place anymore. Working here while being married to Yunho is so much more different and better than when he was dating Ilwoo.

His colleagues lightened his mood and he felt it would be easier. Even if there are a few bad ones, Jaejoong is happy being surrounded by nice people everywhere.

Jaejoong walked through the hallway towards Yunho’s office. On the way, he was greeted by Dara who was going somewhere else. The look of apprehension she had told him Taemin was there.

It’s okay. Jaejoong thought to himself. He won’t let himself lose his cool. He will talk to Yunho with his rationality and sensibility intact.

That all flew out the window seeing Taemin touching his husband.  At the very doorstep, Jaejoong could see Taemin running his hand up and down the length of Yunho’s arm while they laughed exaggeratedly and Jaejoong saw red.

“Calm and cool…” Jaejoong muttered to himself. He walked to the two and stopped just a metre from there. “Taemin, could you please leave me and my husband for a while?” Jaejoong stressed on the words that symbolised his ownership of Yunho. But despite trying to come across as calm and collected, he could only manage to grit it out which was rude by his reckoning but Jaejoong wouldn’t let it show.

Taemin simply looked the other side with an eye roll as if Jaejoong is insignificant and that infuriated Jaejoong more. The younger pretty male was definitely testing his patience. But nothing angered Jaejoong more when Yunho stepped in between him and Taemin.

“Jaejoong, this is not how you talk to my guest.” Yunho said in the same manner as Jaejoong.

At being snubbed by Yunho even though Jaejoong has more right to be here than Taemin, the last thread of Jaejoong’s cool snapped. His body had a mind of its own as his arm moved and the limb shoved Yunho aside indignantly before connecting with Taemin’s nose.

Jaejoong only realised he just punched Taemin smack in the face when the younger was clutching his face and writhing and groaning on the floor and a flustered Yunho was struggling to help him.

Seeing as Yunho still worries about Taemin more, Jaejoong huffed and stomped out of the office.    

Jaejoong sent a message to his department leader that he’s not well and he’s taking a day off. Though really, the leader wasn’t going to turn down the president’s wife for all intents and purposes.

Jaejoong was about to drive to the Jung manor. Changmin can comfort him. Jaejoong grabbed his steering wheel and then paused.

His hands were trembling.

Jaejoong sighed and was about to hit his head on the steering wheel but then stopped short an inch away remembering his honking incident from yesterday.

Yup, he’s definitely not in the mental state to drive. He’s emotionally, physically and mentally drained.

Jaejoong got out of his car and sluggishly walked to the main road. He flagged down a cab.

“Where to?” the driver asked.

Jaejoong opened his mouth to answer but then a conversation from a group of the Jungs’ employees reached his ears.

“You shouldn’t have talked back.”

“But he was being rude to everyone.”

“He’s the team’s leader. He’s entitled to exercise authority if it means he’s getting work done.”

“why can’t he say it nicely then?”

“look…. He has to be a discipline enforcer or others would take advantage. He doesn’t really cross the line ever…what you did…talking back like that, crossed a line with your superior. You should’ve been professional.”

Hearing that made Jaejoong think back to what happened in Yunho’s office. On second thought, he really did over react to what was happening. He let his frustration take control. President’s wife or not, as an employee, Jaejoong is a stern believer of professionalism. He somewhat brought his personal issue with Taemin and Yunho to the office and lashed out.

“Where do you want to go sir?” the cab driver asked again when Jaejoong didn’t respond.

Jaejoong thought for a moment and then spoke, “the supermarket in xyz place.” Jaejoong told him the address of the supermarket near their house as he got in. he was going to shop for ingredients to prepare a feast for Yunho and apologise for today.

While in the taxi, he sent a message to Mrs Jung asking her to take care of Changmin for a day so he can spend some time with Yunho alone. The old lady promptly replied in affirmative.

He then texted Yunho.

To: Yun Sorry about my behaviour. I wasn’t thinking straight. Please apologise to Taemin for me….We really need to talk Yunho. I’m making us a special dinner tonight. You can call it a date…our first one. So come home soon alright. Love Ya.

Jaejoong didn’t know he said the last two words until he really sent it. he cupped his face in chock and cringed. This is not how he wanted to confess, not accidently through a text.
“Stupid Jaejoong!” he knocked himself on the forehead and then stared at his phone. Unconsciously a smile creeped on his face.

He was definitely excited for tonight.    

~~~

Jaejoong was putting the finishing touches on the roast chicken when he heard the door open. He was excited but wanted to wait for Yunho.

The last time Jaejoong made a stuffed roast chicken, Yunho cartoonishly floated into the kitchen just by the aroma.

Jaejoong anticipated a similar reaction.

Yunho had opened the door of the house and was hit by a delicious aroma. But he was too exhausted to do anything about it. he does know that it means Jaejoong is in the kitchen and is preparing a feast like he said in his text.

But the hard-headed man ignored his wife.

As much as he knows his wife is emotionally and physically exhausted, he is too. The last few days hasn’t been easy on him either.

With the Ilwoo incident, the new investment deal and its subsequent legalities, Yunho is pushing his limits.

He threw his briefcase and handful of files on the couch and slumped beside it. Yunho gave a sideways look at the manila folder in the pile. When the attorney visited him today to sort out the new investment’s legalities, he asked him for a personal document as well.

Yunho can still picture the flummoxed expression on the old lawyer’s face when he asked for the documents and by the end of the day too. Yunho didn’t bother looking at the man’s face as he tried to talk him out of it by telling what he could lose by going ahead with it.

Yunho simply told him he understood everything and wanted the attorney to carry out his request as he wants.      

~~~

Jaejoong put the plates on the table for the finishing touch and gave a once-over at his dinner arrangement. He was very pleased with his efforts. He was about to undo his apron but then paused.

Yunho hasn’t come to the dining area yet.

Not thinking much about it, Jaejoong went out. He saw Yunho sitting on the couch with his hand rubbing his face. He was exhausted and Jaejoong felt sorry for him. The recent investment he secured for the company is a huge one and it’s obviously taken a toll on Yunho.

Jaejoong decided to help Yunho relieve some tension.

Jaejoong went over to him and placed his hands on Yunho’s shoulders and began massaging them. Yunho flinched because he was startled by the sudden move and for a long time he was confused because his exhaustion had made his brain function slow.

“You look really tired.” Jaejoong remarked as he worked his digits on Yunho’s broad shoulders. Jaejoong felt that Yunho was melting under his touch and he was happy until suddenly, his hands were harshly shoved away.

“Stop it Jaejoong!” Yunho stood up and turned around. “your hands are still greasy!” Yunho yelled and gestured exaggeratedly at Jaejoong’s hands that didn’t really have any remnants of cooking on it. “And look…Look!” he gestured at the front of Jaejoong’s apron which was touching the jacket on the couch’s back. Yunho roughly grabbed the jacket, “Your apron got stains all over it!” Yunho angrily threw the jacket on the floor and walks to the guest room.

Jaejoong was stunned for a long time. He didn’t expect that Yunho would lash out at him for trivial things now. he quickly walked to the kitchen sink and splashed cold water on his face in a bid to stop any potential tears.

Jaejoong heard some footsteps from behind him. He peeped outside the kitchen and saw Yunho returning after changing into casuals.

Jaejoong was happy and hopeful again. he wanted to be careful so as to not ruin it again. So he was going keep quiet and speak when Yunho does or when he thinks he can.

Jaejoong served the rice and stew in a plate for Yunho and was about to carve into the roast chicken.

“Where’s Changmin?” Yunho asked while fiddling with his phone.

Jaejoong is very happy that after being aloof with Changmin, Yunho is finally talking about him too. “he’s with Halmeoni for tonight.” Jaejoong began carving into the chicken while talking about Changmin. “he’s been a little ill lately because he’s not eating well. He really wants to spend some time with you. I guess once the new investment deal is well on its way, you can take him to the amusement park like you promised hi-” Jaejoong’s talking and actions halted abruptly when Yunho put a manila folder in front of him. He had a very bad feeling about it. “Wh-what’s that?” he stuttered.

“Sign it….” Yunho said simply.         

If Jaejoong was feeling dread earlier, now he was shaking with anxiety. His hand trembled as he took the envelope from the table and opened it.

He didn’t even remove the papers completely. Just reading the word on top was enough.

“What the Yunho!” Jaejoong threw the divorce papers on the table. He was angry and frustrated and the whole experience had finally driven him to his limits. His eyes were watery but they were more of angry tears. His temper was flaring even more when Yunho looked offended. How dare he? Jaejoong should be the one offended. He’s not getting the second chance and understanding he had given in the first place.

“Is this what it has come to? What you think it has come to? Divorce? That’s unfair! You can’t take a one-sided decision about our marriage.”

“If I’m not happy with this marriage, I have a right to end it.” Yunho countered.

“Happy?” Jaejoong gave a cynical laugh. “You were the one who offered it in the first place. I didn’t want to marry you remember? I didn’t want a farce of something as sacred as marriage. You were the one who convinced me. And now you want to end it? Is marriage that convenient for you?” Jaejoong then sneered, “It’s Taemin isn’t it?” Yunho merely cocked an eyebrow which made Jaejoong snort derisively through his tears. “I’m sure it is. You want a divorce so you can go back to Taemin.”

It was Yunho’s turn to sneer. “I’m not like you Jaejoong. I don’t have a switch to turn off and on any feelings for the past. It’s just you who’s clinging to his past lover.”  

“THAT IS NOT TRUE!” Jaejoong yelled. By this point, he just detested the very thought of being linked with Ilwoo. It riled him up to no end. “I keep telling you I hate that man. I have nothing to do with him anymore. You know what…” Jaejoong took the divorce papers and threw them in the dustbin. “I’m not agreeing to the divorce.” Jaejoong took a deep breath to calm himself. He decided to make Yunho see the big picture. “Think this through Yunho. This divorce doesn’t affect just you and me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter