Chapter 15

Longing for you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been a week and finances were low. Jaejoong only had enough to sustain changmin and himself for a few days. However, he doesn't have enough for the accomodation expenses at all. Either way, he needs to earn money if he and his son have to survive.

He's fortunate that the old couple running this inn have been nothing but kind to him. They don't pressure him to pay at all but Jaejoong is aware he can't take advantage.

So he approaches them before lunch. No one usually comes around that time so they can talk more privately.

"Ajhumma, can I talk to you both a bit?" The kind woman gave him her full attention but the old man's mind seemed elsewhere though he looked at Jaejoong.

"What is it Jaejoong-ah?" the old woman smiled.

Jaejoong rubbed his nape sheepisly, "Ajhussi, Ajhumma...I..uh...don't know how to say this... but can you give me some time to settle the bill?" The old woman opened to say something but Jaejoong continued, "I'm going to find a job and I'll make sure to pay all your dues. Just give me some time please." Jaejoong begged.

"It's okay Jaejoong-ah... You can take as much time as you need." The old woman answered with a reassuring smile.

"Yes, yes. No pressure. and if you have any problems, let me know. I have quite a few old friends who owe me a few favours." The Ajhussi offers and jaejoong only nodded. The old man then closes the file he was reading earlier in frustration. Though he thought he hid it, jaejoong still noticed it.

"Is there something wrong Ajhussi?" Jaejoong queried.

The old man slid the file to the side to hide it from view. "No, no...it's nothing. Everything's fine."

Jaejoong's acted as substitute president for Yunho a few times, but that's enough for him to learn to deal with some difficult people. At such times, he's as forthright as possible. "Ajhussi, you're not fooling me. Tell me what's in the file."

"It's nothing Jaejoong-ah. You're a guest. I can't bother you with these things."

"So you admit there is a problem you can't share with me!"

That had the old man tongue tied. His wife sighed and put her hand on his shoulder. "Just tell him Yeobo. Jaejoong's like family anyway."

Her husband agreed. So he reluctantly showed Jaejoong the file. "It's just the accounts... they don't add up."

"We're not that familiar with account management. We just do the minimal to keep the business afloat. But many a times we don't even know if we're making a profit or loss." The old woman explains.

Jaejoong gives a once-over to the page in front of him. "I think I know the problem. There seems to be a mistake in the electricity bill. But I'll need all of last month's reciepts to check." Jaejoong looked up to find the old couple staring at him with wide eyes and he thinks he might have overstepped a line. "I-I'm sorry. How can you just give your accounts to somebody you dont know."

"No-no-no!" The old man shook his head and gave a chuckle of disbelief. "we're shocked. I've been at it for 2 days but I couldn't understand the problem at all. You just understood in one glance. You're a genius."

Jaejoong flushed at the compliment. "No...not a genius. I'm a management graduate and I was working in the finance department of a major corporation until recently. If you have the reciepts from last month, I can redo the accounts correctly if you want" 

"That would be perfect. Thank you Jaejoong-ah!" The old man gave Jaejoong a box of reciepts.

Half an hour later, the man was going through the page in awe. "So this is what a correct acount sheet looks like..." His wife said next to him.

"Just as thought, the electricity bill is really low for an establishment this size. After checking the reciepts, I noticed you mixed up the bill for fixing some seepage with the electricity bill. So your expenditure didn't add up earlier." Jaejoong explained unfazed by the compliments. He doesn't want to know how good he is because he learnt account management from Yunho and he doesnt want to be reminded of those memories.

"You've done a fantastic job Jaejoong-ah. My accounts have never been so perfect." The old man closed the file. "Can you work here as our accountant?"

Jaejoong's eyes widened in disbelief. "Really? You want me to work here?"

The old man nodded with a smile. "Yes. I'd never have to worry about accounts if you take over. My grandson is useless. He can't look at words or numbers for more than 2 minutes or he'll pass out." The old man's wife chuckled beside him. "And this could take care of your problem doesn't it? The pay isn't much, but you and your son can stay here for free and the payment can support your living expenses."

"So Jaejoong, do you accept?" The lady asks.

Jaejoong's eyes welled up. He can't believe something is working out for him after so long. "Yes! Yes, absolutely."

~~~

The past few days have been peaceful. Jaejoong spends his time doing accounts in the old man's office or sometimes in his room with Changmin snuggled in his lap. Jaejoong even joined the inn's cooking staff, which were two woman who treat jaejoong like a younger brother. He would help them cook dinner at night because that's when the amount of diners where the most.

Afternoons were usually quiet with the guests out in the city and only a few joining for lunch. Jaejoong would help out at the reception. He learnt that the old couple would often go together to replenish the stocks and usually leave the front desk to one of two cooks.

They would've left it with their grandson but as jaejoong realised, Hankyung is an utter sloth. He's helpful to the guests and jaejoong of course. But other than that, Jaejoong's always seen him in the front lounge or in the garden at the back.

He's a very good babysitter for Changmin, always playing with him when jaejoong's busy. But even then, Jaejoong's noticed the man doesn't indulge in exertion. He sits on the floor and rolls a ball on it between him and Changmin. Sometimes they play bowling with a plastic pin set. But Changmin is content and so is Jaejoong.

Though he notices that Changmin's missing Yunho. The boy sometimes asks for him at night. It's still a struggle to get him to eat and the Ajhumma tells him to let the boy be for children can be fussy eaters. However, Jaejoong knows his son had a big appetite and this is now worrying. To add to his woes, Changmin's getting weaker and lethargic. That's why he's compliant in Hankyung's non-exerting games.

Otherwise, Jaejoong is well aware of Changmin's hyperactiveness. The smart boy is always injuring himself while exploring the world on his own. Sometimes, Jaejoong remembers the near scares he had when Yunho would swing his son by the ankles or when the two play and injure themselves at the park. And when his thoughts go that way, he stops himself.

He distracts himself by focussing on Hankyung and how the kind man is head over heels for Changmin. Jaejoong can tell he loves children. But Hankyung has this melancholic aura about him. Like he's missing something or someone.

"Minnie, time for lunch." Jaejoong calls. Changmin quietly stands up, ignoring the ball rolling towards him and walks to his mother.

"Aw... just when I was winning." Hankyung jokes.

"Sure you were..." Jaejoong shook his head picking up changmin. "You hungry baby?" Changmin doesn't say anything but buries his head in the crook of Jaejoong's neck.

"You know... I was wondering, there's a small hospital nearby with a good paediatrician. Maybe we should get Changmin checked..." Hankyung suggests. "don't get offended but he's definitely losing a lot of weight and he's too weak."

Jaejoong nods. "I know but... I know what's wrong with my son and it's something not curable by medicine. I'll keep my options open but I don't want to put him through a battery of tests for nothing."

"As you say. I just worry about him." Hankyung conceded.

Jaejoong studied at Hankyung for a while. "You're very concerned about my son aren't you?"

"Is that a bad thing?"

"It's a curious thing."

Before Hankyung could give an appropriate response, another voice cut in. "Hello? Anyone here?" Without a warning, Jaejoong passed Changmin to Hankyung and went out. "H-Hey! Wait!" Hankyung tried to stop him.

"Hello. Can I help you?" Jaejoong greeted the new face. When the person turned around at Jaejoong's voice, Jaejoong noted he looked stunning. A movement beside this beautiful person had Jaejoong look down to find a little girl holding his hand. The girl looked a bit older than Changmin but Changmin is taller. Well, he's taller than most children.

"uh...Hi. I'm looking for Tan Ajhussi actually." The beautiful person said.

"Oh! He and and his wife have gone out but they should be here soon." Jaejoong replies.

"I see... are you a new employee here?"

"I am."

"Alright... well, I'll come by later." The person bows a bit and walks to the door with the girl. While this person is going, Hankyung came out.

"Seriously Jaejoong! Do you have to just dump him like that? Look! he's fussing now." Hankhyung complains as he passes a whining Changmin to Jaejoong. Changmin pouts furiously as he hugs his mother's neck.

"Sorry, it was just instinct when I heard someone at the front desk." Jaejoong apologised both to Hankyung and Changmin.

"Do we have a new guest?" Hankhyung ansked.

"No its..." Jaejoong's voice trailed off seeing that the person from earlier is still by the door. For some unknown reason, Jaejoong can see him looking at them, or more precisely Hankyung with melancholic eyes. When the person realised he was caught staring, he quickly walked away tugging the girl with him.

"Oh Heechullie! When did you come?" Hardly had the person taken two steps, she was stopped by Hankyung's grandmother. "Hey sweetheart! How are you?" The old woman bent below and the little girl hugged her.

"Hey! My baby is here!" The old man came and picked up the girl. The girl planted a noisy kiss on the man's cheek and squeaked. "Boji! Boji! candy!" She demanded.

"Yah! not before lunch!" the beautiful person chided.

"Ajhumma! Ajhussi!" Jaejoong came to them with Hankyung right behind.

"Ah Jaejoong, we have a playmate for Minnie." Tan Ajhussi  calls.

Before Jaejoong could respond, a blur whisked by him. Hankyung was all smiles seeing the little girl as he walked to his grandfather. "How's my l'il angel doing!" Hankyung takes the girl and cuddles her. She laughes loudly when he blows a raspberry on her belly. Jaejoong reckons this is the first time he has seen Hankyung so enthusiastic, for want of a better word. "Plane! Plane!" the petulant cutie demanded and flapped her arms.

Hankyung held her stomach and legs while the girl spread her arms. Jae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter