Chapter 16

Longing for you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yunho pulls up in front of the bistro. His informant told him this is the place he's at. For a bistro, it's very exclusive, catering to the rich folk of Seoul. Yunho finds it odd that Taemin would come here. It's for those who want privacy from the attention that comes with the rich and famous lifestyle. They pay a huge amount of cash for such privacy.

For Taemin, who's been basking in the limelight for a month, this is an unusual place to be.

Yunho walks to the entrance. He gives a surreptitious nod to the investigator who told him where Taemin is and enters the structure. 

''Welcome! How can we help you Mr Jung?'' A polite lady asks. Yunho isn't surprised. He's been here once with a client and noted the staff here know their customers' profile. Which means these people know better to give him utmost privacy after his extra-marital affair news.

''Table for one.''

''Yes Mr Jung. Can you take a seat over there while I arrange for a booth.'' Yunho wonders why he didn't come here for some peace and quiet from the paparazzi. There's no open table and chairs. They have booths with tinted windows. Someone could plan a nuclear attack here without a hitch. 

''Mr Jung!'' Yunho gets up from his seat. ‘‘We have a booth ready for you. But can you wait a moment please. I have to lead another diner who's gone to the washroom.''

''Another?'' Yunho was honestly impatient. He had a purpose for coming here.

''Haneul, is my table ready? Oh...'' Luck was on Yunho's side today as the other diner was Taemin himself. Yunho though didn't reveal his intentions by putting on a cold expression. ''Fancy seeing you here Yunho....'' Taemin's in his seductive mode now and Yunho internally smirks at his predictability.

''Should I show you your tables now?'' The maître’s smile falters at Yunho's icy expression. 

"It's okay. I'm not that hungry.'' Yunho turned to the door. ''Please God... Please God...'' Yunho chanted in his head. A little push and pull was necessary for him to succeed.

''Wait!'' Yunho could do celebratory cartwheels now that those hands grabbed his arm. ''We'll have one booth for the both of us.'' Taemin didn't allow Yunho to protest as he pulled him along. The lady led them to what was supposed to be Taemin's booth. A waiter comes to take their orders and leaves them alone. Taemin was halfway through his latte and cheesecake whilst Yunho had only taken a bite of his souffleè. He’s been looking out of the window the whole time. ‘‘Aren’t you going to eat?'' Taemin finally asks.

''I don't have an appetite these days...'' Yunho doesn't even look at Taemin which makes him a little sad. He feels neglected a lot lately. Since helping Ilwoo with his plan and the president's appointment pending, Taemin feels he's nothing but a doll to make Ilwoo look good. That's why he indulged in shopping and parties to distract to get his mind of it. Because his loneliness is making his mind wander to a certain ex-boyfriend whose heart he trampled upon and then ruined that same man's marriage.

''How's Jaejoong?'' Taemin doesn't know what made him bring up Jaejoong. Probably the guilt that he's Jaejoong's offender too. The glare Yunho just gave him makes him regret asking however.

‘‘Why do you care? You separated us. Not just my wife, I had to part from my son too. You ruined Jaejoong's, Changmin's and my life Jung Taemin.'' Yunho was acting on his plan but the emotions were real. He had to tell himself to stay calm. ‘‘This is ridiculous. I'm leaving. '' Yunho moved to stand up but Taemin grabbed his wrist with both hands.

‘‘No, don't go...'' Yunho looked at him like he's considering not to. ‘‘Please. .. I need a friend right now...'' after a brief moment, Yunho returned to his chair and Taemin couldn't hide his relieved smile. ''I'm sorry... I know it's unfair of me to ask you this but I need someone...just real friend...'' Taemin tries to hold back his tears but one drop manages to escape as he wipes it quickly. ''It was all Ilwoo's plan. He made me do it and I didn't realise the gravity of my actions till I saw Jaejoong leave like that.''

"Why did you do that? Did your conscience not prick you before you did such a thing, when you were aware of the plan?"

"I was a fool. I wanted wealth and power. For so long I've been blinded by my greedy desires and I regret everything. From leaving you, to breaking your family. I guess, this loneliness is my punishment." Taemin's voice shakes from the urge to cry. "I thought I need money to be happy. So I married Ilwoo. I've known of his affairs for so long but I ignored it thinking I'm fine as long as I can use his money. And then he... with Jaejoong... and when I came to know Jaejoong was pregnant with Ilwoo's son, a part of me was so jealous.... I'm not even lucky enough to bear a child... A tiny part of me that made me go along with Ilwoo's plan was sheer jealousy. Why did Jaejoong get you and a child? Why does he get to be happy and not me? You might not agree Yunho but I think my punishment is so harsh. I have a lying, cheating, greedy husband, fake friends, and no child."

".... I agree... it's harsh..." Yunho made a bold move, placing his hand on Taemin's surprising the younger. It's not like their pretend intimacy from before. It's purely platonic, from one friend to another. "You don't have to remain like this. You can still fix things."

"H-how?" Taemin asks. If it's possible, Taemin was genuinely willing for a do-over.

"Help me. You're the only one who can help me get my wife and son back. If you still want money, I'll give you that too. Just don't let this chance to make-up for your wrongdoings slip away."  

"No...no, I don't want any money. I don't want anything. But can I really be of any use to you?"

"Yes. You're confident in whatever you do and smart too. Besides what I'm about to ask is something only a person close to Ilwoo can do."

Taemin's eyes slightly widened before they became solemn. "You want me to get the DNA papers out of Ilwoo's hands..."

"Yes, and those photographs that could ruin Jaejoong's reputation if they ever got out." Yunho leans forward and rests his chin on the back of his right hand. "Right now, Ilwoo has an advantage over me. If you want to help me, start by taking away that advantage." 

For the first time in his life, Taemin is unsure of himself. He's never lacked in confidence before and when he's going to do something right for the first time, he thinks he's not capable. But Yunho says only he can do this.

"Yunho... you believe I can start over?" Taemin observes Yunho to catch any hint of insincerity and Yunho gives a teeny-tiny nod, almost blink-and-you-miss-it type, Taemin feels a little encouraged. "At least one of us trusts me..." He mutters before giving Yunho his signature confident smile. "Consider it done."

~~~

"Did you find him?" Ilwoo yelled over the phone and while the other person was still talking, slammed the landline down. He slammed his body on the sofa chair in his home bureau. His cell phone rang this time and he answered. "You better have found him..." He said tiredly while pinching his brow. The person on the other line barely spoke a few seconds and Ilwoo cut the call. He dialled another number and spoke when the person answered. "Jiyeon, fire all those idiots and hire some competent people who can find Jaejoong and his kid." 

"Sir, those investigators are the only ones we can hire without raising any suspicions. Hiring some high profile detectives is bound to gather public attention." Ilwoo's secretary says on the other end.

"Then figure out something else. Some cop who can look into any leads without attracting attention. We can pay him to keep his mouth shut."

"Sir, don't you think if Jaejoong-ssi had any intention of interfering with your business, he would've done so already. He appears to have gone above and beyond to not let himself and his son be found. I don't think he poses a threat to you."

"You're hired to do as I say not to think rubbish. The president's appointment is soon and I have to tie lose ends. I am sure Yunho clearly knows where Jaejoong is and he is trying to keep him safe. He is playing this very nicely."

"What is your plan after knowing Jaejoong's location?" Jiyeon tried to look into her boss' plan in detail.

"If I know where Jaejoong is then I can still have the leash on Yunho. I can threathen him the same old way. Also the DNA only states that Yunho is not Changmin's father. You think the board will pick me if they knew I slept with others outside my marriage and that kid is actually my son? My situation is worse than Yunho's and the board will be picking the lesser of the two evils. Just do as I say. Find Jaejoong before the board meeting."

"As you say sir."

Ilwoo hung up for the umpteenth time that day. He first thought it's an easy victory with Yunh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter