Chapter 2

Mélange

s_naturerepublic_1311_do_r2.jpg

      " I will drag you to stand on your own two feet."      

 

Savior

      After such a meeting, KyungSoo suggested that we exchange numbers and addresses. When I thought about it, I was quite embarrassed of my own home for it had clothes and bugs everywhere. I didn't even have a phone so, how could I even give him my number? With much hesitation, I avoided his eyes once again;

      "I'm currently looking for a new place (which wasn't too much of a lie), and I don't have a phone."

      Gawking, he laughed from being a bit embarrassed, "Sorry.. I shouldn't have asked."

      I shook my head and clung onto his phone, "Don't worry, I'm getting one soon! I'll also be finding a new place, too."

      "Alright, I'll give you my information and you can just text me when you finally have a phone."

      "Sounds good!"

      I thought our time together would end with a quick, respectful bow but was taken aback by the sudden skin-ship that KyungSoo gave. He grasped my palm into his own and drew me into a tight hug. While the folds in his jumper crinkled together as his arms reached over my shoulders, I could feel the warmth that radiated from him and rested onto my cold face. He wrapped both arms around my neck and buried his face into the fabric of my sweater as he whispered;

      "It was really great seeing you again."

      Still frozen, I couldn't speak or react to whatever it was that he said to me. Yes, it was a great time because I could smell the sweet ocean scent that came from him but at the same time, I didn't like it. Because that meant that he was definitely able to smell my filth.

      It was strange that someone who never hugged me before decided to do it on the day we reunited. If you had so much affection even before, why was it never shown? Why did it take three years? My raw arms began to hurt under his strong grasp and caused me wince in pain, for I could feel blood seeping from the wounds. Trying to hide it, I wrapped my own arms around his waist but failed entirely to conceal the twinge.

      "I'm sorry," he pulled the two of us away from one another, "Did I do it too hard?"

      I nodded my head and hid my arms behind my back, "A little.."

      Embarrassed once again, KyungSoo brought his delicate hand to the back of his head and smiled nervously, "I-uh.. I guess I'll see you around."

      After giving a quick bow, I turned and walked away without looking back. I wanted to see if he was looking at me leave, I wanted to but I could see the blood from my scars being soaked into my sweater and I couldn't let him to see it. What would he think of me? Would he run from me? Would he be disgusted? Many thoughts ran through my mind as I turned my snap-back to the front and covered my face.

      Though I could still feel people's eyes targeted in my direction, I successfully ran into my apartment building and rushed up the flight of stairs and into my room. Once I became locked behind my own metal cage, the sweater came off, revealing every scar on the top half of my body. Running to my bathroom, in search of bandages, blood dripped from the tips of my hands, leaving a trail of death.

      Before the worse came, I tried to wrap my wounds but was only discouraged when I finally realized what I had fully become. Someone who abuses themselves but at the same time, someone who wants to save themselves. What did I want? Did I want to live? Or maybe I wanted to die? I noticed that it became a constant hobby, an unchanging life-style and I became too used to it.

      Finally calming down, I let my arms rest over my rusted sink while I looked at myself in the mirror. The person standing in front of me was definitely someone I didn't know—But why did I only realize it then? Why not before when I was going through the roughest in life? I was left to stand there and waddle in my own thoughts of regret but as I carelessly let the time pass, my body was shivering violently. With the cold sweat that was forming around my neck and forehead, I noticed that I hadn't eaten what KyungSoo bought me less than an hour ago.

      "What a waste of money.."

      Without even realizing it, I had fallen backwards towards my bathroom closet. Sliding my bony back down the door, I watched the red stream that poured down from the edge of the sink, almost as if it were as fine as wine. Afraid of myself and afraid that I may not be awake to keep my promise to KyungSoo, I dragged myself to my apartment door and screamed what was inside my head the whole time;

      "Help!"

      // Flashback

      "Maybe there are worms living in her hair. That's probably why she stinks so bad!"

      As they make their funny jokes at me, I find that I'm walking a lonely path to my class. All around me, are the eyes of those who hate me with a passion, and for what? I don't know. I just know that I am only the target of fun for the likes of them.

      But I try to not let it get to me that much because I had a great friend already. He was always full of jokes, and he would take me home without complaining. He's the reason I'm still in school. Without him, it would be a pain in the to even wake up in the morning.

      "Why does he hang out with her?"

      "Oh gosh, I know right?" one girl sent me a scorning look with her green eyes, "He should never touch someone so filthy—Oppa!"

      There, entered the tall and lean man who saved me every time he could. He gave those girls a good glare and wrapped his arm around my shoulder;

      "I think your personality is filthier than trash." he brought me closer, "You're no better than a spec of dust."

      I could feel the lasers that were trying to shoot through my soul but I was guarded by his height and his great urge to protect me. Even so, without making eye contact, I let them stare at me until they became too embarrassed to stand in front of him. Though he posesses such power, I am still scared of their judgment. I am scared of what else they could do besides throw me to the ground.

      "Thank you," I said after they turned the corner of the hall, "I would have just let them criticize me.."

      "Don't let them do that to you," he said, "Fight back."

      "How can I fight back if I'm just too weak against them?"

      "They are just as weak as you make yourself seem to be, maybe even weaker. All they do is talk trash while you're trying your hardest to make friends."

      I looked at him in the eyes and found that he wasn't lying;

      "Thank you, Oppa-"

      Upon hearing the beeps of my own heartbeat, I was jolted from my wonderful dreamland and into an unfamiliar place. There were tubes in my nose and one through my hand. I looked around but only to find that yet again as I laid in the hospital bed—Even at a critical moment like this, I was alone. I had completely forgotten that I didn't have a family.

      At that moment, I had internally thanked whoever came to get me. I was truly thankful. I didn't want to die, I remembered that much at least. Whoever it was, I would definitely repay them by living the life they gave to me.

      "Oh, she's awake,"

      With happy steps, the man in a white cloak (surely the doctor) came towards me with his clipboard. I noticed that he had left the door open, as if to let someone else follow him but the longer I stared into the hallway, the more empty it became.

      "How are you doing?" the question spilled out of his thin lips, leaving me uncomfortable.

      He was the doctor, surely the one who saved my life but I was so afraid. It was that long white cloak, it scared me the most, plus, it was odd to see a bright blonde on an Asian person. Back then, majority of us had blonde hair and blue eyes but over time, we evolved into something more fitting. So, why was he blonde?

      "Not talking?" he frowned teasingly and then took my bare arm into his delicate hands, "Then, what if I ask about these?"

      I watched him as he inspected the visible scars beneath my bandages. There was so much that I wanted to say but something within myself told me not to say anything. It was the first time anyone had seen this side of me. Just the thought of it made my face cringe with shame.

      "I think it's time you stop doing this to yourself," he became serious as he began flipping through the papers on his mustard clipboard, "If that landlord of yours hadn't been checking up on a water leakage, you would have already died."

      "My land lord?"

      "Yeah, she's quite amazing." he smiled at me once again, "She brought you all the way here by herself and even contacted your guardian."

      "What guardian-?"

      "HaNeul!" KyungSoo ran through the opened door with his hands full of what seemed to be groceries, "You're awake!"

      Eyeing him from head to toe, I turned to my doctor and said, "He's not my guardian."

      "You must be mistaken," he started as he handed me a card, "It says here that he's your guardian."

      With disbelief, I kept my eyes on the card, unable to comprehend what had just happened. It clearly read, "Do KyungSoo, Guardian of Kang HaNeul who was born on December 31, 1993. Blood type A." It even had my finger prints on it from when I was smaller and the card had been legally stamped and engraved by the law. There was no reason for me not to believe it but why did he not tell me before?

      KyungSoo put the bags down on one edge of my bed and came to my side, "Are you okay?"

      I nodded slowly and gave the card back to the doctor.

      "Oh right," he showed me his name tag, "Kim SuHo, I'll be your doctor from here on out."

      "He was two years ahead of us, remember?" KyungSoo joined the conversation, "SuHo saved your life."

      "I believe KyungSoo saved your life," SuHo smiled as he pat him on the back, "He happened to be the same blood type as you."

      A sudden rush of happiness and burden came over me. I was filled with emotions because no one had ever risked their lives for my own and I was also burdened because now, I basically owed my life to KyungSoo. Would I be stuck at his side forever?

      "Thank you," I spoke to the both of them, "For everything."

      Later that night, I was left in the hospital room with KyungSoo. Though I felt very indebted, I was embarrassed and ashamed of my scars and refused to lift my arms from underneath the blanket. Laying down, I waited for the worst comments towards my battle field. I prepared myself for anything bad but just when I did, it was as if he read my mind.

      "I won't ask about those," he looked out the window to see the night lights of Seoul, "And I definitely won't reprimand you for doing it."

      Giving him a silent nod, I felt my eyes well up with tears.

      "I know that you'll come and tell me when you're ready but until then, I won't rush you." pausing to organize his thoughts, KyungSoo turned to face me from the window, "But, I will drag you to stand on your own two feet. I want you to become someone who is proud of their own face, their own name, background—All of it."

      I bit down on my bottom lip, anxious of what he planned to do. Would he put me on stage and have me force myself to face the crowd? Bad thoughts poured into my vision but I was greeted with a green smoothie that smelled like heaven. I looked at KyungSoo with large, hungry eyes and he returned the look with a nod;

      "I want to take better care of you cause I wasn't able to do that before."