Chapter 7

Mélange

 

      "Yeah—I mean look at his sly smile."      

 

Home

      After we spent about three hours riding and re-riding roller coasters at the amusement park, ChanYeol decided that he'd call the others and ask where they were. Sadly, through those three hours, they had already eaten and gone home. In front of where KyungSoo parked his car, we stood silently and let the chill air seep through our clothes and touch our skin. There was a lot of thoughts that flowed through my mind because we had finally left the excitement that was clouding over my worries. The wound from last night's session started aching even more, and I wanted to go home. But, I saw that the taller man was extra hungry and I couldn't bring myself to say it.

      "Where do you want to go?" KyungSoo lifted his head to meet ChanYeol's eyes, "Somewhere nearby?"

      "Yeah, I don't think my stomach can wait any longer."

      Laughing, KyungSoo took out his card and handed it to his Hyung, "I have some things to do."

      "I thought you were finished with work-Ow!"

      KyungSoo had punched him right in the gut, making ChanYeol fall to his knees. At that moment, I was overly confused, I couldn't understand as to why he did it. I giggled as ChanYeol rose to his feet after somehow receiving a secret message and stuck his finger out towards KyungSoo's face;

      "Thank you," he rubbed where it hurt, "But I'll get you later."

      "You two have fun," KyungSoo waved to me as he slid into his Lexus, "I'll meet you guys back at the house."

      I watched him leave with both of my hands up, waving goodbye to him. I must admit that I was pretty disappointed in the situation. Eating with ChanYeol was nice but if KyungSoo had been there, I would have felt completed. The two of us walked down the street and tried to find the closest Korean Buffet area that was still open for lunch, and maybe it was how lucky ChanYeol was but we eventually found one. It was a secluded area, where, really, even dead souls wouldn't linger and it had about four people inside, eating. It was a cute little place, in my opinion, but it seemed too small for ChanYeol's height.

      "It'll be okay once we sit down," he slightly grazed his finger on a waxed table and sat down. We barely looked at one another and the atmosphere was beginning to become awkward but I managed to save us by asking;

      "What does KyungSoo work as?"

      He impatiently tapped the silver chopsticks on the table and watched the raw pork cook on the burner, "Kyungi is a vocal teacher at a university."

      "Oh, really?" my eyes widened, "I didn't think he'd go for something like that."

      "I didn't either," he started to on the thinner end of the chopsticks, as if he could taste the pork already, "But after I had him sing my songs, he really enjoyed it."

      "Your songs?"

      "Yeah, I make a lot of them," he winked at me, "Remember I said that you could come and ask me anything about music?"

      "I see," I slowly nodded my head as I began to salivate for the meat that was in front of me, "C-Can we eat now?"

      "Not yet," he jokingly tapped his chopsticks onto my head, "We have to wait until it turns the perfect golden-brown."

      The two of us swallowed the huge amount of savory thoughts in our minds and began to look like idiots to the other customers. I felt like I had recovered well from my eating disorder because I had never wanted to eat so much before—Or was it because I was with ChanYeol? The way his eyes were eating the food, made my own body copy every movement he made.

      "Eat!"

      We finally dug into the pork, and he was right. When the meat turned that perfect golden-brown, it was crispy, yet chewy, and delicious. I could still remember the taste, even now. It was the taste of happiness, and I was literally eating it. As I sat there, eating with ChanYeol, I wondered how well off I would have been if I had just met a man like him and married him. He gave off that happy aura, one that you would always want to be around and he certainly got me hungry for food every time he took a bite.

      Though we barely spoke while we ate, we conversed through our hands: a thumbs up for "Yes, this is good," and the clap of our hands, "This is the best." As the food started disappearing more and more into our stomachs, so did the awkward atmosphere. Through food, we were able to strengthen our friendship, and I quite liked it. As we sat with our bellies full, I took a peak at my phone and almost as if I knew I would receive something, KyungSoo text me;

      15:46 Yah, yah, how is it going? With ChanYeol I mean.

      And with a simple text, I realized that this was set up. I'm sure that ChanYeol was really hungry, but the two of us being alone.. that was all KyungSoo's doing. Had he wanted us to begin a real relationship? I didn't know but I did know that he wanted something like that to happen. I wore my heart on my sleeve, and my smile disappeared quickly, along with the thoughts of a stronger friendship. I stood up on my own two feet and looked down at my new, black J's.

      "Can I ask you something?"

      "What is it?" he became flustered, "Is something wrong?"

      I bit my bottom lip and released it slowly, "KyungSoo... why does he act like he likes me?"

      ChanYeol swallowed hard, letting his adams apple move down and jolt back to its original place, "H-He does?"

      I sat down and ordered a beer for myself. As I sipped on the burning sensation, tears ran down my eyes and I did what I thought I'd never do: open my heart;

      "He'd always hug me... send me beautiful smiles. Even text me and cook for me.. Worry for me." I tried to wipe the endless tears away, "Everything."

      "I could see that ChanYeol didn't know what to do and that was fine but I needed someone to talk to me at least. Finally giving up on the mute man, I ran out of the restaurant and met the harsh winds of Autumn. They scraped my bare face and fought with my clothes but I managed to push through and make it into a dark alleyway. There, I cried and the only voice that I could hear, was my own as it echoed against the tight, brick walls.

      All that time, I had been pouring my emotions out unto someone who wanted me with someone else and on the inside, I didn't feel good at all. I wanted to disappear or run away from the embarrassment but I was stuck between those walls. Crying.

      "H-HaNeul," ChanYeol's deep voice boomed through the alley, "Tell me.. what do you want me to do?"

      I shook my head and hid my raw face.

      "HaNeul," his voice became stern, "The more you weep to yourself, the more you'll hurt mentally. You need to speak your emotions-"

      "I did!" I lashed out at him with my sore arm, "But did you say anything? No!"

      I watched him through my blurry vision as he looked back into my eyes;

      "That was my first time, too," I let my voice fall from its sturdy tone, "It was the first time I ever poured my heart out to someone.. just like now.. but you're not saying anything-"

      ChanYeol wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin on the top of my head. Though I fought to be released, he wouldn't budge and kept his large arms around my bony ones.

      "Okay," he repeated, "Okay.."

      I stayed in his arms and wept to my heart's content. With my face buried into his broad shoulders, I rested my forearms on his chest and breathed heavily. The more I tried to calm down, the more tears fell and the more I questioned my own life. Will I ever truly smile? Will this wretched day-to-day pain ever stop? Will KyungSoo and I.. become something? At that time, I hadn't realized that he became such a big part of my life that I unknowingly thought of him.

      ChanYeol separated us by the length of his arms, kept his hands on my shoulders, and smiled at my ugly, crying face. He seemed to be searching for something within me. ChanYeol folded his arms together, raised his brows, and bit his bottom lip;

      "Does KyungSoo like you?" he pursed his lips, "I can't tell. He set the two of us up like this but I believe it was for a certain reason. Maybe he really wanted something to happened between us, I don't know—But what I do know, is that he's shy but good at teasing others."

      "Teasing?"

      "Yeah—I mean look at his sly smile." ChanYeol raised a corner of his mouth, mocking KyungSoo, "See? That's what he does."

      Before I realized, my tears had disappeared and a big laughter was making its way out of my throat. After seeing his joke, I knew that KyungSoo did make a face like that many times before to me. Like when we were at the hospital and he tried to kiss me, that's the part I remembered most. I was so busy self-pitying myself that I couldn't find a positive side to this, but ChanYeol did. He was able to put a smile on my stoic expression and for that, I was grateful.

      "See? I knew you'd smile," he rested a palm on my head, "Let's go home now."

      "Home..?"

      "Yeah, it's your home, too."

      I was taken aback, for it never crossed my mind that we had suddenly became something more than strangers and friends. Even though I had only lived there for a day and one night, I had gone through so many new experiences with them, that it felt like I had known them for years. I was hoping to grow through this opportunity that was suddenly given to me... and I was hoping for a new life, for we had become a Family.

      "We're back!"

      ChanYeol had announced it to the world, and upon hearing him, the boys ran towards us with great big hugs. They asked us a few questions and then wondered if we had eaten yet or if we had fun at the amusement park. Though all their faces were beginning to be familiar, their story wasn't. As I walked down the hallway towards my room, something was tucked into the bottom of the sofas. I took it out and saw that there were twelve men, smiling to each other. This made me realize that I hadn't known anything about them and they didn't know anything about me. That was the only downfall of this Family. The stories and secrets I thought would be told here, was taking a longer time to be revealed than I thought it would. But no matter, I told myself, Through time, we'll become closer.


Author's Note;

Yay! So, I know this is a shorter chapter but.. at least we're actually getting somewhere! I'm excited to release the next chapter already! hehe. But I want you all to wait just a little longer ;) The anticipation is what I seek, lol. I hope that you all are really liking this story!

Much love,

JHR