Ross

Breakup Messenger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

** This is a rather long chapter. Sorry if it gets boring along the way.

 

CH 24

 

Eleven Years ago

 

 “Are you really sure it’s ok for him to have a double date?” asked Sulli.

Ailee laughed.

“Do you really have to ask the same question six times already?”

Sulli sighed.

“I’m just… nervous.” Said Sulli

“Why are you nervous?” asked Jae Hyun reaching for Sulli’s hand.

“You know how I’m not good at dealing with people right?” said Sulli. “He’s Ailee’s special friend. What if he gets offended or irritated with me?”

“You shouldn’t be nervous.” Said Jae Hyun. “Because I’m here. I will help you out.”

Jae Hyun pinched Sulli’s cheek.

“Just take a deep breath alright?” said Jae Hyun.

Sulli nodded.

“Besides, Minho knows about you.” said Ailee.

“He does?” asked Sulli.

“Yeah. I told him about you a thousand times. He knows you’re not a very sociable person. But he knows you’re someone who gets warm to people around her once you get used to them around you.” said Ailee.

Jae Hyun squeezed Sulli’s hand.

“Isn’t that great? So stop worrying.” Said Jae Hyun. “And just be yourself.”

They all arrived at the restaurant. But Minho is running late.

“Still anxious?” asked Jae Hyun.

Sulli nodded.

“Sorry. I just don’t want Ailee to be embarrassed or get shamed by me later.” Said Sulli.

“Hey I was talking with Minho. Traffic is blocking his way. He’ll be a bit late.” Said Ailee.

“That’s fine.” Said Sulli. “I think I also need some fresh air to get rid of this nervousness.”

“I’ll go outside with you.” said Jae Hyun.

“No, no need.” Said Sulli. “I won’t take long.”

Sulli stood up and went outside. She sat on the bench and closed her eyes.

She took a deep breath.

If only she could talk to people better…

Sulli took several calming breaths.

“Yoga?”

Sulli heard a man’s voice. She opened her eyes to see a man in front of her. The sun is behind him. It was hard to see his face. But in his shadow, Sulli could see he’s tall and has a strong appeal.

“Huh?”

“Are you practicing Yoga?” asked the man

“Yo…ga?” asked Sulli.

“You’ve been taking deep breaths for a minute now.” said the man.

“Oh… no… not Yoga just… distressing.” Said Sulli.

The man sat beside Sulli. Sulli moved away a bit. Who’s this guy anyway?

“That’s a good way of distressing.” Said the man. 

Sulli can see the man’s face now. He’s handsome… very handsome.

Not that he’s more handsome than Jae Hyun. Jae Hyun is still her number one. But this guy… is wow…

Wait a minute… he’s… familiar…

No…She has seen this face on pictures before. He’s Ailee’s special someone!

What will she do? Jae Hyun is inside and Ailee too!

“What’s stressing you anyway?” asked Minho.

“Umm… a lot of things.” Said Sulli. “School and stuff.”

“Oh yeah, school is stressful sometimes. You wear that uniform. You study in the same high school I went to before.” Said Minho. “I haven’t been there for years now.”

“Nobody is stopping you to visit right?” said Sulli.

Sulli bit her lip. She knew she sounded harsh.

“I mean you sounded nostalgic… you should go visit the school.” Said Sulli.

Minho smiled.

“I’d probably go there later. I’ll ask my girlfriend to accompany me.” Said Minho.

Sulli nodded.

“All right.”

Sulli stood up.

“I better go inside.” Said Sulli.

“I’ll go inside too.” Minho stood up.

“No, stay here.” Said Sulli.

“Huh?”

“I want to go inside alone.” Said Sulli. “I don’t like people looking at me when I go in.”

“Why will people look at you when it’s just normal to go inside a restaurant?” said Minho.

“It’s not normal to walk inside a restaurant with a model type guy.” Said Sulli. “So just… stay here… and just go inside five minutes after me… ok?”

Minho chuckled.

“What if I want to go there with you now?” asked Minho.

Sulli’s eyes narrowed.

Minho laughed.

“You look familiar.” Said Minho.

“Familiar? Me?” asked Sulli.

Oh no…

“Yeah.” Said Minho.

The door opened.

“Minho!” Ailee went and hugged Minho. “You should go inside! We’ve been waiting for you.”

“I’m sorry I was a bit late.” Said Minho.

“That’s all right.” Said the guy behind Ailee.

“He’s Jae Hyun, Sulli’s boyfriend.” Said Ailee. “Oh and this…” Ailee pulled Sulli beside her. “This is Sulli! My best friend!”

Minho’s eyes narrowed.

“I told you you’re familiar right?” said Minho.

“Yeah…um… hi.” Said Sulli, awkwardly.

“Nice to meet you.” said Jae Hyun.

“Yeah. Nice meeting you. Ailee told me a lot of things about Sulli. She forgot to tell me Sulli has now found a boyfriend.” Said Minho.

“I sent you an email last week.” Said Ailee. “They’ve only been together for 2 weeks.”

“I wasn’t able to read my mail. Sorry.” Said Minho.

“Let’s all go inside.” Said Ailee. “Food is now being served.”

The four of them went inside and had a good lunch together.

Minho was a very good conversationalist. There was no dead-air. And Ailee supports him very well. Even Jae Hyun was great. Only Sulli was silent. She can’t let words go out of . She has to be careful of Ailee’s beloved Minho. Sulli knows Ailee is too good for her to have as a best friend. If Minho can’t like her for Ailee, at least let him not hate her. 

After lunch, Sulli and Jae Hyun asked to leave so that they can buy books.

“I almost did not recognize her.” said Minho. “She looked different.”

“Oh you mean Sulli? You’re comeparing her from her photos? Hmm… she pretty much looked the same as the photos I sent of us.” Said Ailee.

The difference between the 12 year old Sulli and the fifteen year old Sulli is surprising. He knew Sulli has the potential of being a beauty. The fifteen year old version proves he’s right.

“That’s a bit weird.” Said Minho.

“Which one?” asked Ailee.

“You said Sulli is an introvert right?” asked Minho. “How could she have gotten a boyfriend?”

Ailee coughed a little.

“That’s not weird.” Said Ailee. “Jae Hyun and I are friends. He’s my classmate. He noticed that I was getting close with Sulli. So I told him he has to get to know Sulli too. So he did. I don’t know how I convinced him. But he was very willing. He tried to talk to Sulli everyday… and then not sooner did I learn he liked her…liked her more than a friend.”

Minho’s brows closed in.

“It’s pretty cool. Jae Hyun is the school’s hearthrob. Sulli is now the envy of women.” Said Ailee.

Minho sighed. That boyfriend guy is weird. What made him interested in Sulli? And besides, of all guys… why did Sulli Choi have to be the girlfriend of the school heartthrob? Won’t she get bullied because of this?

“How is she?” asked Minho.

“She?”

“Sulli.” asked Minho.

“Oh… what do you mean how is she?” asked Ailee.

“Is she excelling in school? Does she talk to you about her problems and woes? Is she living happily or just barely surviving?” asked Minho, as if he was just asking an everyday question.

“Why are you asking?” Said Ailee.

“It’s just that she seems to be a bit different from what you told me about. She’s not as aloof and as cold. She seems to be a nice girl.” Said Minho.

“It’s because she’s trying. Sulli is trying her best to get along people. She knew she needs to deal with people in this life. So she’s trying to learn.” Said Ailee.

“It seems she has improved.” Said Minho.

“Yeah.” Said Ailee. “Jae Hyun is helping her a lot.”

“I guess she’s living happily then… with a boyfriend who helps her out like this.” Said Minho.

Ailee smiled.

“Sulli’s fine outside but she has battles within her.” Said Ailee. “She still cries every now and then, missing her Dad… trying to not remember the pain of being left behind.”

Minho reached for his glass. It seems… Sulli and him are still similar until now…

They’re both just barely surviving.

“That is why I’m thankful to Jae Hyun.” said Ailee. “He’s enough distraction to make Sulli happier these days.”

Minho reached for Ailee’s hand.

“And I’m thankful to you.” said Minho. “Because you’re also enough distraction to make me a bit happier.”

---------------------

  Minho entered the school reminiscing old times. This is where he saw Ailee as a high school freshman. Who would’ve thought she’s his psychiatrist’s daughter? This school has a lot of fond and painful memories. Here is where Joo Won and He spent a lot of time enjoying their youth. Here is also where he cried liters of tears after finding out his Mom left with a man.

Minho reached the room he and Joo Won usually stayed, the music room. He entered it and was startled to see a girl facing the window. He was going out when he heard her crying. It sent shivers down his spine. It was like a horror film coming to life.

“Dad…”

That word made Minho stop walking.

“Where are you Dad?”

He faced the girl. The girl has a bag on her shoulder. The bag looked familiar. It has that heart shaped stuffed toy clung to it… it was like the one Sulli had earlier…

“Can you please just come back…” she said. “Whatever the reasons why you left, I’ll accept it. Just please… please come back already. Please come back safe…Mom is… worried sick.”

Minho clenched his hands on his side. The painful squeeze in his chest made him close his eyes.

Sulli just said the words he uttered a few days ago… the words he silently thrown in the air.

Though his Mom could not hear it… he had to say it hoping that the wind can go to where his Mom was and whisper his words into her ear.

But then…

“Will it reach him?” asked Minho.

Sulli turned and saw Minho. She immediately wiped her tears.

“What are you doing here?” asked Sulli.

“I took your advice. I went to visit the school.” Said Minho.

“Oh…. Ok.” Said Sulli trying to look away.

“What you said to your Dad…”

“Oh that… umm… just ignore what I said.” Said Sulli, trying to smile. “ It’s just… I miss my Dad often.” Said Sulli. “He’s gone…”

“Sorry.” Said Minho.

“It’s not your fault.” Said Sulli.

But it was his Mom’s fault.

“I still just wanted to say sorry.” Said Minho. “Why are you alone? I thought you left with Jae Hyun earlier?”

“Yeah umm… he has basketball practice.” Said Sulli.

“So you’re going home alone?” asked Minho.

“I always go home alone.” Said Sulli.

“He doesn’t walk you home?” asked Minho.

Sulli shook her head.

“He offered but I… I refused.”

“Why?” asked Minho.

Sulli sighed.

“I want to tell you to mind your own business but… you’re Ailee’s close friend so I need to be respectful.” Said Sulli.

Minho smiled. Sulli is really trying her best to get along with people.

“My Dad and I… usually walk home together. He comes from office

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter