Chapter 9

It Was (Not) Me

Angel Tao’s POV~  

 

“Achoo!” Minyoung sneezed once again as she hugged herself tighter and curled up into a ball. She shivered as her lips turned white and her face turned as pale as sheets.

 

How many times had Tao heard those sneezing ever since he teleported into that hut a minute ago? The moment Tao got into the hut, he disliked what he saw. He detested the fact that the devil just dumped Minyoung here alone. His heart ached as he saw Minyoung who was suffering from the colds.

 

“Why are you so silly?” Tao uttered under his breath as he walked towards to her, “why is your body boiling?” He continued as he felt the great body heat that Minyoung emitted when he touched her.

 

“Zitao,” Minyoung called out unconsciously that it was almost inaudible.

 

Damn!

 

“You.. You heard me?” Tao was shocked.

 

He waited and waited for Minyoung’s reply but no, there was nothing. It was only that the cease that formed between Minyoung’s brows got tighter as she turned weaker.

 

“Let’s go home, Minyoung ah,” Tao said as he approached to carry Minyoung up in a bridal style.

 

Achoo, Minyoung sneezed again. She lifted her eyelids slowly and it really made Tao panicked. He thought that she might see him around but what he forgot was that he was invisible the whole time. Dude, Huang Zitao.

 

Tao? The first word she said the moment she was conscious and realized that there was no one beside her anymore. She coughed as she trailed weak footsteps towards the exit of the hut.

 

“Tao,” she called out, thinking that he would be out there.

 

Cruelty.

 

No one, she saw no one but just trees and grasses. The raindrop form the downpour earlier on slide down from the roof of the hut and fell onto her face.

 

People said that the worst feeling in the whole wide world is to find back what you had lost and then lose it again. True, this saying really did hit right into Minyoung’s situation now. She felt worst. To actually count, this was the third time that Tao had left without informing Minyoung. Oh how cruel right? God, is he’s really gone.. again?

 

“No, no. He can’t be. He was the one who said to start afresh,” Minyoung shook off her silly thoughts and allowed her feet to trail way towards the woods. Not sure was it something called instinct and nature or was it because of those dramas that she watched that caused her to think that she would surely get to see Tao again once she step into that misty woods.

 

“What the hell you doing?” Tao questioned and followed closely behind her.

 

Weak, Minyoung was weak due to the high fever and cold but nothing surpassed the worrisome feeling that was consuming her inside out. She was afraid of the dangers that Tao might have face in that woods than the fact that he had left her.

 

“Tao!” her voiced cracked when she exclaimed due to eeriness of the sound of howls and growls that got more vivid.

 

“Don’t go any further, it’s dangerous,” Tao got anxious and wanted to pull Minyoung back by her wrist to stop her from going forward.

 

Weak and frail, Minyoung got breathless easily. Her body was boiling and her brain was burning. Last strength, she gathered up her last strength to search for Tao. Well, she still believed that if she were to go further, Tao would appear. 

 

“Please, let there be no danger. Please be safe,” Minyoung prayed but it seems that God did not hear her prayers. Okay, maybe he did but he chose to ignore it and sent her some disaster.

 

“Ah!” she yelped as she tripped over a stone and fell flat onto her face.

 

Goddamn, it was already bad but the situation just chose to turn worst. What on the Earth? Pain, pain was sent from the tip of her toes to her heart. That moment, she was on the verge giving up.

 

“I told you that it’s dangerous ahead!” Tao sighed.

 

How much he wanted to rush forward to help her with her wounds and pain? How much he wanted to tell her that he was by her side all along but he could not. He could not let her see him ever again. He knew if he was to appear in her life again then she would die. Not to forget, the toxic that linger around Tao which will kill her slowly.

 

“Huang Zitao, enough! I admit that I lose; I’m out of the game. Can you come out now?” Minyoung begged as her eyes got teary.

 

She brought her knees closer to her chest and hugged them tightly. She was scared and weak. What’s more waiting for her ahead? Tears burst and rolled down her cheeks. As usual, her tears managed to break Tao’s heart more than anything else.

 

“Please, don’t be like this,” Tao begged, “don’t cry.”

 

Tao whispered softly, feeling helpless. Oh, how much he wanted to wipe away those tears on her face for her?

 

“How can you leave again like this? You always lie to me and never keep your promises,” Minyoung said while fighting with the lump in that was threatening her to break down at any time.

 

Minyoung who was already physically weak, gave in to her feelings. Wow, a physical and mental attack at the same time? “I hate you Huang Zitao!” she sobbed as she buried her face in between her knees.

 

Oww, it hurts. It hurt Tao so much to see her like this. Each teardrops of Minyoung’s did not fall onto the ground but instead they were darted into Tao’s heart directly. It hurts. His iris turned dull as tears glimmered in between them.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m here all along,” Tao gave in to the cruel fate. He finally appeared in front of Minyoung.

 

“Zitao!” Minyoung looked up as she heard his voice.

 

Just like what happened two years ago, Minyoung rushed towards Tao and hugged him tightly. Similarly, Tao was still taken aback. That moment, they felt that they had traveled back in time to that night at the park two years ago.

 

“Don’t cry,” Tao said and patted onto Minyoung's back, wanting to comfort her as much as he could.

 

A faint smile formed onto Minyoung’s face before she felt all dizzy. She was glad that Tao did not leave and was back to her but it seems like the monsters inside of her had consumed her fully. Her energy was fully drained by then. The last thing she saw was trees in front of her, the last thing she felt was her limps turned weaker, the last thing she heard was Tao calling out her name twice before a black screen faded into her view. She collapsed completely in Tao’s embrace.

    

“Minyoung, Min ah!” Tao panicked, “sorry, I shouldn’t have created such a heavy downpour. I just wanted to warn him and cause him to bring you home instead of insisting in camping in the woods. I swear that I didn’t like the fact that you were going to spend a night outside with other guy. Sorry for being selfish,” Tao cried and apologized.

 

He blamed himself for creating such a silly mess before carrying Minyoung up in a bridal style. Together with Minyoung resting on both of his arms; he teleported back to her apartment. It had been two years and he still remembered the scent of the house, the pattern of those tiles on the floor to the design of that ceiling fan. Everything of that house was still the same as two years ago; nothing change or shifted their place.

 

Just at that moment, Minyoung opened up her heavy eyelids forcefully and took a look at the surrounding. ‘Am I back home already?’ she thought. It took her seconds before she realized that she was in someone’s embrace. This embrace felt so familiar and it goes the same to the scent; the familiar peppermint scent that reminded her of Tao. She found the security that she missed in this embrace. On top of those familiar feels and sense she saw that same wing-shaped pendant hovered around the middle of his chest. It was the one that Tao always wore around in the past; solely the only one in the whole world.

 

He’s back, he’s completely back. Finally he’s back after all these days of struggling with her inner self; struggling with that fact that how much Tao felt like a stranger to her. 

 

But, why would he be wearing that pendant though? He clearly did not have it with him before this. Minyoung got confused but she could not bother more than that because all the feelings felt just right at that moment. She could feel that this Tao no longer just had the same physical appearance and voice. She felt that he also possessed every characters and memories that he had in the past.

 

“Am I dreaming again?” Minyoung rose up her frail hand and caressed onto Tao’s face gently, “if it is then I wish that I could just sleep forever.” She wished once again even after those horrendous times of wishing for it that never came true before.

 

“Zitao,” the name rolled out of her tongue naturally as she draped her arms around his neck.

 

Wait a minute, why was his hair color pale ash blonde? Wasn’t it supposed to be currant red? Those boiling heats inside of Minyoung were so strong like as if it could kill her brain cells and refrained her from thinking. To top that, it caused clouds to form in her eyes and her visions to be all gloomy. She could still see clearly of what were inches away from her it was just that those heat in her eyes make it so unbearable that she wanted to shut them tightly. She just wanted to sleep away from those burning heats and the same time, from those shivering cold in between her bones.

 

“You’re not, sweetheart,” Tao assured as he proceeded to lay Minyoung onto her bed, “you still do not know how to take care of yourself like in the past huh?”

 

Past? Did he just said something about the past or was Minyoung hearing things? She heard him said as that voice slowly fade out from her ear and her vision turned pitch black once again.

 

“Silly,” Tao placed his palm onto her forehead as he said. He wanted to heal her; to get rid of those burning fire in her and kill those monsters that she was fighting mentally. However, he failed at it. He could not use his supernatural power to heal her.

 

“I forget that this particular power needs some time to be fully activated. I guess everything goes back to the square huh?” he sighed.

 

Wow, he was left with no choice but to use human’s way to take care of Minyoung instead. Actually, to be honest, this was the very first time he tried to take care of patients in this kind of way rather than using his healing power. He did not really know how to, but thanks to those dramas that he watched during his stay in Earth that he at least knew some of the basics like putting wet towels onto patients’ forehead and all.

 

One click of Tao’s fingers, Minyoung was now in clean and dry home clothes.

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 

“How do you get affiliated with Devils though?” Tao asked as he wet that dried towel and place it onto Minyoung’s forehead for the nth time, “you thought that he was me didn’t you?”

 

For the past few hours, he had been sitting beside her bed; looking after her. He did walk away for minutes to get things like thermometers and ice cubes but would go back to the same position for another thirty to forty minutes just to make sure that he would be around her when she needed him. 

 

One last time he stuck the thermometer into before he pulled it out, “thirty six point five degree. I guess that you are in good hands now,” he said as he took a look at those digital numbers that flashed on it.

 

He let out a long sigh of relief when smile fade onto his face. “You can’t be less worrisome do you? It’s has been two years and you still didn’t change,” he said as he caressed onto her cheek lightly.

 

“Achoo!” Minyoung’s sneeze caused Tao to be startled. His heart sank to his stomach and sped up its pace like a leopard chasing its prey. Frantically, he retreated a few steps back from her. He stood there frozen. One second, two second and the third one passed by and it was still the same silence that filled the room in the past few hours. Well, he still did not want Minyoung to see him. He wished that he could tell Minyoung that whatever happened in the woods was just a dream.  

 

“Phew, you got me there,” he held onto his heart and wiped away those imaginary sweats on his forehead, “baby, I’ve to go now. Master is waiting for me since the morning. It’s time for me to report to him. I promise that I’ll be back once I have the chance. Next time when I see you again please.. Please be healthy and safe okay?” He continued as he cupped her hand in between his. He kissed onto the back of her palm before he teleported away.



 

A/N: 

I could uplaod this chapter earlier but i chose to edit it at the last minute. Meh, forgive me. Haha! Basically, Tao was invisible all along until the moment that Minyoung sobbed hardly. To clear out some confusion at the later part of this chapter, so it's like this, Minyoung did not know there is two Tao right? So for her, the one that brought her back her was the one who went hiking with her. OTL, is it still confusing? I hope not. ><