Chapter 12

It Was (Not) Me

“Hey, why am I here?” the moment Tao opened his eyes he saw a familiar cave. Funny, how he felt that this cave was once spacious and shrunk in size now.

 

“Don’t ask, I’m wondering too!” the devil too spoke but he was no where to be seen.

 

“Shut up and where the hell are you?” Tao hissed.

 

“Didn’t you realize yet? I’m inside of you,” the devil said.

 

“What?” Tao was shocked and could not find any words to describe his current feeling, “how did you get in there?”

 

“I wanted to know too. All of this just happened after we clashed together!” the devil explained.

 

“Get out of me!” Tao ordered.

 

“I wish I could,” the devil replied, “wait, maybe I should be the one to ask you to get out of me. Don’t act like you are the boss!”

 

Tao ignored him and tried to find his way out of that cave. He tried to walk towards the exit of the cave but he could not. He was bounced back by a force whenever he got just a few steps away from the exit. What’s worst was that boiling heat was also sent into his body that could turn him into a sizzling steak on a pan.

 

“Hey, what the hell you doing dude?” the devil reprimanded, “I’m feeling the pain too.”

 

“Why can’t we get out of here?” Tao ignored those pains and questioned.

 

“Because you are lousy. Let’s teleport away.” The devil taunted.

 

For some reasons, Tao’s eyelids were going against his will that they shut tightly forcefully. Few seconds had past and still nothing happened.

 

“Who said to teleport away? We are still here and didn’t move an inch,” Tao mocked.

 

“Shut up, you too did not have the ability to get us out of here,” the devil said scornfully.

 

As they were arguing, sound of grasses rustling and moving caught their attention. It was just a matter of time before another person stepped into this small cave.

 

“Talk about that later, there’s someone outside,” Tao said and searched for a place to hide. He looked around and found a best spot; a huge inner chamber of the cave. Well, being in that small cave, it was counted as big. Phew, it was so close before that person caught him if he did not leap over to it. 

 

‘What is this thing?’ Tao thought as he saw a small elf entering the cave.

 

It was weird that the elf felt familiar to him, no, more than like as if it was part of him. “Wait! Wasn’t that me?!” Tao’s eye widened as he recalled.

 

“Oh, shut up! It’s me okay? How cute can I be?” the devil defended as he recalled onto the same thing.

 

Tao rolled his eyes, “I would like to punch you if I could,”

 

“Come on! You would most probably feel the pain too though,” the latter provoked.

 

Tao only sighed, ‘why the hell would I become like this?’

 

“Don’t complain when I did not okay? I’m too caught up in this situation together with you,” the devil warned.

 

“Hey, don’t invade my mind like that. That’s rude,” Tao hissed.

 

“And you don’t invade mine too,” the devil replied again.

 

They bickered and after that it was all silence; a silence that creep. The both of them stayed in the inner chamber to observe that elf. They observed the elf as scraps of their memories were being unrevealed bit by bit. It was getting more and more boring that both of them started to guess the next movement of that elf.

 

“Later he would take out a thing,” the devil guessed first.

 

“That was what I’m going to say,” Tao continued, “and it’s going to be a long wooden stick.”

 

Indeed, that little elf really brought a long wooden stick that he hid under the mat he slept on.

 

“Spot on! I did not remember wrongly!” Tao cheered.

 

“Wait! Wasn’t that mine? My wushu stick, you remember? I used it to fight you!” the devil got agitated, “but Cheif told me that he made it by himself,” confusion surpassed his aggression as he recalled on what Cheif told him.

 

“Isn’t that obvious? Your chief stole it from me,” Tao cleared his doubts for him.

 

“Like as if he would do that,” the devil rolled his eyes, “Look, he got a sword with him too and it looked like I’ve seen it somewhere before.”

 

The elf drew out the sword and those lights that reflected from it hurt Tao’s eyes.

 

“That was mine,” Tao top that. ‘Didn’t Master tell me that this sword was his heirloom that had never left his side before?’

 

“Hah! Your Master stole it from me too!” the devil read Tao’s mind once again. Well, it was not like he wanted to. You know, they were just like ‘telepathying’.

 

“Why would I have your things with me? How do you affiliate with me?” the devil began to suspect.

 

“Hey, that’s me. I’m supposed to be the one saying that!” Tao defended.

 

Well, curiosity was slowly consuming them from inside out.

 

Not long after Tao’s sentence, another old man walked into the cave. That man was in all white. The hair was white, the eyebrows and the beard was white. Even the clothes that he was wearing were white. That person was none other but the Master of Tao’s Kingdom.

 

“Why do I feel like he was up to not good?” the devil spoke but Tao did not give a single reply.

 

As soon as Master walked in, the little elf squirmed his way to hid away from him. The look on the elf’s face looked like he was scared out of his life.

 

They saw how the elf hid behind a wall and peeked at whatever Master did. 

 

He roamed around in the cave like as if he was finding for something. He walked towards the inner chamber and conducted almost every coner of it. That moment, Tao’s heart thumped so hard that he could feel that it would jump out of his mouth if Master were to go any closer to him. “Phew,” he let out a sigh of relief after Master left without taking a second look at his direction. 

 

“Do you think he’s blind? We are clearly here and he couldn’t see us?” the devil sneered.

 

Till then they realized that they had been invisible all along. They finally understood why was it that they could not get out of here or teleport away no matter how hard they tried. It was because their soul was the only thing that was trapped in this memory lane and not their physical self. They were watching their memory like a movie.

 

Master continued to search from the top of the cave till the ground of it as he got further from where Tao was. He searched so thoroughly that he almost flipped the cave over. Well, he would if he could. Finally, he stopped searching. He stopped because he saw that elixir pill that lay on that table top.

 

“Finally, I found you,” Master said as he reached his hands over to get it.

 

“Stop!” the little elf yelled as he teleported onto that table top and took away the pill before Master could even touch it, “get out from here.” He continued as he protected the elixir pill in his hands.

 

“I see that you are the one asked to look after this pill alongside with the two other legend weapons huh?” Master guessed.

 

“So what if I am? You are not supposed to be here anyway,” the elf told back at Master.

 

“Look who’s speaking?” a familiar voice caught the devil’s attention.

 

“Chief?” he thought.

 

“Give me that pill you little thing,” Chief got closer to the elf and wanted to snatch it away from him. Unfortunately, he failed. The moment he touched onto the pill, a great force reflected and caused him to fly off to the other side of the cave.

 

“How strong is that thing?” Master questioned as he used onto his telekinesis power to get it from afar. He exerted great strength as he pointed onto it. Just a little more, a little more and he could get the pill. It was already slowly leaving that elf’s palm but damn, damn Chief for interrupting.

 

“I sensed danger. Do you remember what happened after this?” Tao asked.

 

“I sensed it too but damn what made you think that I could think of anything if you can’t?” the devil top that.

 

The more they saw what was happening in front of them, the more anxious they got. Inadvertently, memories came back to them as those dramas in front of them fast forwarded; thirty six times faster than the actual thing. This time it was not just scraps or bit by bit of it but everything. They were reminded on how Master and Chief caused him (them) to be separated into two. They were reminded on how they swallowed the elixir pill to prevent them to get it.

 

Yes, they were the elf; an elf which was asked to take care of an elixir pill and two other legend weapons. Those three items had got people around the whole world to go crazy for them. Everyone had the desire to get them as it could enhance their power. It was said that one who consumed the elixir pill could strengthen their body, made it immune to all kinds of diseases and shield themselves away from all kinds of attacks. Together with those two powerful weapons it could make that person the strongest in the whole universe.

 

Who knows one day Master and Chief would come into the elf’s life and snatch them away from him? They even tried to get him back to their very own Kingdom and Empire. The wanted to train him into an elite; the one could help them to attack the other party in the future. It was unfortunate as he was the one who consumed the pill and it had no way of getting back. They just had to use him as a spawn.

 

However, it was tied for the fight. Master and Chief both got part of the elf. They accidentally separated the soul during the fight which caused the two Angel Tao and the Devil Tao to exist today. 

 

“I remember everything,” Tao uttered.

 

“Me too,” the devil agreed.

 

“We are one.” The two of them said at the same time.

 

Just then everything turned pitch black again. No more movie or memory playing before their eyes. There it goes there was no more Devil Tao or Angel Tao; only the Huang Zitao who loved Minyoung existed.