Chapter 1

It Was (Not) Me

After Tao left Minyoung, she started working in this Café that named Mémoire which mean Memory in English. Minyoung chose to work in this café because that name gave her a special feeling. Well, a love-hate relationship to be exact. Just because of the word memory she suffered from lovesick everyday. Memory was also something special to her because it was the only thing or perhaps place that she could find the faces and presence of Tao; the only way that she could get nearer to him.

 

“Cling, cling.” The wind chime which was hung at the handle of the door created that sound when a guy pushed it from the outside.

 

A usual sound which Minyoung heard everyday thus it was not something special to her. Sometimes, this sound gets more rapid during the lunch hour. That guy who pushed the door walked into the Café. He strolled towards the counter and ordered his drink.

 

“Good morning Sir, what would you like to have to start you day?” a more superior lady served him.

 

“Can I have a cup of iced vanilla macchiato with more milk?” the guy ordered.

 

“Take away or having here?” the lady said with a light smile on her face.

 

“Take away, thank you,” he returned a smile, instinctively.

 

“Sure, may I know your name Sir? I would write it on the cup for you,” the lady asked.

 

“Put it as Tao. T.A.O,” he answered and spelt out the name for her.

 

Minyoung heard that familiar alluring voice and the name which she missed calling out. Instinctively, she turned her back around to look at that guy. She turned, hoping to see the person that she longed for but instead she was just greeted by his back view. That familiar back view, the same broad shoulder and that tensed strong biceps which gave Minyoung an urge to lean forward and hug it. She wanted to call out his name but she did not have the courage to; in afraid that she might be disappointed or even break down to cry if that guy was not even the same person that she was thinking about. 

 

“Here’s the first order of the day, a cup of iced vanilla macchiato. Stop daydreaming and get down to your work,” that superior lady said as she waved her hand across Minyoung’s face a few times.

 

The voice of that lady snapped Minyoung into reality. She was so immersed when she looked at that guy’s back view. No matter how she sees it, that back just looked like Tao’s.

 

“Yeah,” Minyoung answered and took over the cup that had Tao’s name written on it.

 

She walked towards that coffee machine that was at the far end of the counter. While she was waiting patiently for those coffee beans to be cooked, her gaze had never left that guy. She inspected him from his back and now till his side view. She looked at him a few times and saw that same side burns and the sharp jaw line. She was surprised as she thought that it was him. Another urge threatened her which caused her to take a few steps towards him. She retreated back when that superior lady whispered.

 

“Yah.. be quick. What are you doing?” that lady said softly and signaled Minyoung to get her job done as soon as possible as their dear customer was still waiting.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Minyoung apologized and quickly took out a carton of milk from the fridge.

 

She poured the milked into the cup while still looking at that guy. It was like as if her eyes were stick on him like chewing gum that was stuck onto the hair; she could not get them off him. She was so focused on him that she over poured the milk and caused it to flow onto the ground.

 

“!” Minyoung cursed and squatted down instinctively to clean the mess.

 

Her cursing caught his attention. He turned around and saw a clumsy girl attempting to clean away that puddle of milk with just a piece of small table cloth.

 

“We’re so sorry; we will make a new one for you as soon as possible,” that superior lady apologized continuously.

 

“Yah, do I have to teach you? Use a mop please,” that lady narrowed her eyes menacingly.

 

“Sorry,” Minyoung apologized and went in to get whatever she need.

 

As Minyoung pushed the door open, she smacked onto her forehead a several times as a punishment for being so stupid.

 

“Was he Zitao? How can it possibly be? I must’ve gone crazy because I missed him too much. At this rate, I might just see any other guys as him. Aissh.. So confusing,” Minyoung uttered under her breath and shook her head furiously as an attempt to shake away those silly thoughts.

 

She cupped a puddle of water into her palms and splashed onto her face.

 

“Kim Minyoung, get a hold of yourself. Tao had left and he won’t be back. You must stay alert!” She warned her reflection that was in the mirror.   

 

~

 

“Thank you Sir, see you again next time and we apologized for the inconvenience caused a moment ago,” that superior lady apologized once again when she passed him the drink.

 

“Yes, it’s okay. I would surely be back again, the coffee here tasted so good,” that guy said as he took a sip of his iced vanilla macchiato (with more milk).

 

Minyoung walked out with a pail filled with water in her left hand and a mop in her right hand. As she approached the counter, she saw that familiar face and that familiar smile that melts her heart. She saw Tao, that Tao she love and misses. She was dumbfounded. She could not believe what she saw.

 

‘Zitao? Is that him? Or was it just my illusion once again?’ she thought.

 

 As she doubted herself, Tao had strolled out of the Café slowly.

 

“Cling, cling,” the usual sound that the wind chime made woke her senses up.

 

“No, I can’t. Whether it is him or not I must clear my doubts. This time, I won’t let him go again,” Minyoung said to herself when she saw that retreating back view.

 

“Ahjumma, I don’t feel well today. I’ll take a day off,” Minyoung dropped whatever that was in her hands and rushed out of the Café like a dart flying towards the dart board.

 

Yes, the appearance of Tao caused her to lose her mind. She did not even care if she would lose her job. She did not care about it anymore because Tao was the most important thing at that moment.

 

She pushed the door opened and searched around the crowd for Tao like a lost child. She searched for him desperately. Fortunately, just when she thought that she was going to lose him again, she saw him coming out from one of the bakery across the streets. She crossed over the busy streets without looking out of those moving vehicles. She did not even cared if she would just die in a car crash; she just wanted to get closer to Tao as soon as possible before he teleport away again.

 

“Zitao, don’t leave. Please, don’t go again. I beg for you to stay,” She hugged him tightly from the back as soon as she reached him.

 

She hugged him and he felt it. Although some coffee spilled onto his shirt as his body inertia was taken aback when Minyoung hugged him so suddenly, a smirk still formed on his face. Well, that was a sign to show that he had successfully got her attention. 

 

“By any chance do I know you?” Tao asked and acted like a stranger.

 

“Huh?” Minyoung was surprised with his question and slowly let go of her frail arms that wrapped around him.

 

“What do you mean? You are clearly that one person that I was looking for,” Minyoung questioned and made eye contact

with him.

 

She looked into his eyes and searched for the similar feel that Tao gave her in the past. However, she could not see it. She did not understand why. Why was that Tao who was right in front of her felt to different? He was sort of like a stranger to her.  

 



A/N:

So here's the first chapter. A short one though, nect one will be longer! So do you guys like it? ^^ I promise that it would get better after about 2 to 3 chapters. So please stay tune! :D