Pain

Socks and Fate

Chanyeol pants heavily as he opens the door of his classroom.

 

It was 7:30 in the morning and Chanyeol runs late in class, it’s not something new but he has his excuses.

 

“Good Morning, Mr. Park. Let me guess, your sister was having trouble with her makeup? And she’s the reason why you’re running late?” Their teacher, Mr. Lee raises his right brow at Chanyeol.

 

“I—yes.” Chanyeol holds on to the strap of his bag as he finds his breathing pace.

 

“Go to your seat.”

 

Phew.

 

Chanyeol moves his feet, looking for a free seat, bowing at every person he passes by, he’s been attending the school for quite a long time but he never memorized his classmates’ names.

 

Chanyeol spots a free seat at the row before the last one; he quickly walks towards that seat and places his bag next to the seat.

 

He pulls out his notebook as fast as he could, flipping the pages to open his notes.

 

“Hey~” Baekhyun grins at Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun is seated on Chanyeol’s right side, and then there’s Tayeon beside him.

 

Chanyeol mentally snorts and replies a simple, “Hi,” at Baekhyun.

 

Mr. Lee was busy writing some things like cosines and tangents (or at least that was what Chanyeol thought he was writing down), but the guy has ears like a cat.

Mr. Lee snaps his head in a swift, eyeing the students.

 

Chanyeol’s impressed at how Baekhyun’s like a ninja as he faces the professor as soon as Mr. Lee looked at them.

 

Chanyeol beams a small impressed smile, and he feels Baekhyun tapping his arm as soon as Mr. Lee continued writing down.

Baekhyun hands him a small paper, Chanyeol looks at the paper—puzzled.

 

Chanyeol takes the paper anyways and opens the crumpled paper; he finds Baekhyun’s smooth handwriting using a black ink.

 

Wanna grab lunch together with Taeyeon?

She’s dying to get to know you. :)

 

Chanyeol sighs, he thought it would be a time alone with ‘his’ Baekhyun, but it’s not.

 

Maybe he’s going to introduce Taeyeon as his girlfriend.

What do I do with my life if that happens? ;________;

 

Chanyeol, look at the bright side and say yes.

 

Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun with a small smile and nods shortly.

 

Baekhyun mouths a ‘great’ at Chanyeol.

 

-----

 

Chanyeol sits on a free table in the cafeteria.

He thought Baekhyun would eat lunch with him, he guesses he’s not---

 

Hold that thought.

 

Baekhyun and Taeyeon enter the cafeteria together, the same scene as yesterday.

If you’d just look at them, it’s almost as if they were…

 

 

 

 

In love.

 

 

Chanyeol just brushes away the thought since Baekhyun and Taeyeon are on their way to his table.

 

Baekhyun greets him first with a frown, “Yahhh~ I thought I told you we were gonna eat lunch together?”

 

“Oohh, I was really hungry and all.” Chanyeol lies.

 

It’s actually because I don’t want to see you with Taeyeon.

 

3

 

“Oh, at least you’re still not eating!” Baekhyun laughs.

 

“Hi, Chanyeol-ssi” Taeyeon bows politely and greets Chanyeol with a smile.

 

God she’s pretty.

 

“Hello, Taeyeon-ssi.” Chanyeol replies.

 

“I’ll go get food for us, Tae.” Baekhyun says as he pulls a chair for Taeyeon.

 

And he’s being sweet and a gentleman.

 

Wow.

 

Byun Baekhyun, stop this torture please.

 

“Aweee. How sweet of you.” Taeyeon chuckles as she sits on the chair across Chanyeol, messing with Baekhyun’s hair before Baekhyun dashes to the line and fetches food for both of them.

 

Chanyeol felt awkward but he knew he had to be the one to break the ice.

“Sooo.. You and Baekhyun, you guys seem happy. How long have you been dating?” Chanyeol clears his throat as he takes a bite of his sandwich.

 

“We… We’re not dating anymore.” Taeyeon scratches her head a little.

 

YES!

 

Wow Chanyeol, so sadistic.

 

Shut up, brain.

 

But of course, Chanyeol would never say that out loud.

“Ohh.. I’m.. I’m sorry.”

 

Taeyeon waves her hand dismissively in front of Chanyeol. “It’s fine, we never worked out anyway.”

 

“Why? I mean, not to invade your history or something—“

 

“It’s fine, Chanyeo-ssi. Ha-ha.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Let’s not talk about me and Baekhyun, let’s talk about you.” Taeyeon rests her chin on her palms.

 

“There’s nothing much to talk about me.” Chanyeol nods.

 

“Then I’ll ask and you answer.” Taeyeon suggests and looks at Chanyeol expectantly.

“Okay..”

 

“Do you have a girlfriend? Because I know a lot of girls who would totally be into you.”

 

Chanyeol laughs and shakes his head defensively. “I don’t have one and I think I’ll pass on that.”

 

“Okay, your loss, they’re like goddesses.” Taeyeon jokes.

“Moving on, how long have you known Baekhyun?” she continues.

 

Hhhmm.

How long is it already?

 

“I’ve known him for a long time but we just became friends… about a month or something.”

 

“Do you like him?” Taeyeon wiggles her eyebrows as she draws her face closer.

 

Chanyeol blushes madly.

 

Don’t be stupid and tell his ex who still has feelings for him that you actually like Baekhyun.

 

“I---“

 

Chanyeol I swear to God, if you mess this up---

 

“Why are you interrogating him like that way, Tae?” Baekhyun laughs as he sits beside Taeyeon with a tray of food in his hands.

 

 

“I was just wondering if your friend here likes you.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widen, pausing at the moment those words escaped Taeyeon’s mouth.

 

“What?”

 

“As a friend, Baek. You’re overreacting. You should see your face right now.” Taeyeon laughs out loud and pinches Baekhyun’s cheeks.

 

Chanyeol’s dumb, but not that dumb to not see how Taeyeon still loves Baekhyun.

Even with everyone in the cafeteria, all he hears is Baekhyun and Taeyeon’s giggles and laughters.

 

And it’s heartbreaking.

 

“Excuse me for awhile, I’ll be back.” Chanyeol stands and carries his bag with him as he heads to the comfort room.

 

The university is too populated; no one will probably notice a brokenhearted guy heading to the comfort room.

 

Luckily, no one is in inside the men’s comfort room.

 

Chanyeol quickly locks one door and takes a deep breath.

 

He takes out a small black notebook from his bag.

 

“Things I Would Like to Tell Baekhyun”

 

Chanyeol takes out a pen as well, his heart’s walls are tightening with the feeling that he wants to cry, but he doesn’t want to; instead, he writes some words down.

 

“10/2014

 

Baekhyun,

It hurts seeing you with someone else, but the smile on your face is enough to make up for it.

 3

 

-Chanyeol”

 

 

Chanyeol takes a deep breath and tells himself, “You can do this.”

 

“Or maybe not.”

 

He decides to not go back to the cafeteria, he realizes that if he returns to the cafeteria, he might not be able to control his tears.

 

 

 

 

 

A.N.

I’ll be updating daily because of le Holiday. :)))

 

I have a song suggestion for everyone! It’s “Lost Stars” by Adam Levine.

 

A huge thanks to the subscribers and readers! :)

-Arniieeee :)