Chapter twelve: Accident

Pitch

Chapter twelve: Accident

It had been a week since rehearsals officially started. All of our school’s activities had been put to a halt and the play was our top priority. I just came back from lunch and resumed our practice.

I looked around, spotting Hye Ri and Kiseop chatting and smiling. Letting out another sigh, I took my place. Kiseop’s been in my head for the entire week… They also both took their places. I tried to stand, still pretending to be a tree. This had to be the worst role ever. Kiseop and Hye Ri started to dance, both showing such amazing talent. I watched them with envy. Hye Ri prettily twirled to the left then twirled to her right, softly landing into Kiseop’s arms. I gently clenched my fists as I watched. I really disliked this jealous feeling, I didn’t want this to allow myself to feel down.  But Hye Ri was very beautiful, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he liked her.

Hye Ri did her last pirouette, supported by her left leg she turned left 4 turns, dangerously nearing the edge of the stage.

“Hye Ri-shi be careful!” I shouted,  but it was too late. She lost her balance on the edge and landed on the floor. She was on the ground clutching her ankle, looking like she was really in pain. Everyone was about to rush over to her, but Kiseop was the fastest.

“Hye Ri! Are you alright?! Where are you hurt?!” He asked frantically. She was all teary and whispered that she’d hurt her ankle. A teacher offered to take her to the school nurse immediately but Kiseop insisted he would take her. He lifted her off her feet with extreme caution. He showed so much care towards her… I felt sad.

That night, I returned to my dorm finding it empty. Kiseop was probably staying with Hye Ri. I smiled to myself, Don’t bring yourself down like this ______. Kiseop’s a jerk, remember?

The next day, the whole school was in a huge muddle. There was no female lead, Hye Ri’s x-ray came through extremely quick and it turned out that she broke her ankle.

There was an announcement over the PA: “All students and teachers. We have some bad news. Our female lead, Hye Ri has injured herself badly and will not be participating in the school play. A female lead will be assigned as soon as possible. Within this time please resume practices.”

“What are we going to do without a female lead?” One of the girls asked her friend.

“Beats me. I bet no girls are going to come forth and work with him.” She sneered at her left, I followed to where she looked, and Kiseop walked in.

The first girl giggled, “That’s true, who would want to work with a guy that’s so cold. I wish Kevin was the prince! He was so much better!”

I slowly walked over to Kiseop.

“Ah, hey. How’s Hye Ri?” I asked, feeling half worried and half sad. He looked a bit distressed and surprised that I had walked up to him and started to talk to him.

“She is fine, she just needs a lot of rest.”

I nodded slightly awkwardly. Nearby, the teachers were arguing rather loudly about who would take Hye Ri’s place.

“I told you we should have had an understudy! Now look, we’ll have to have second auditions.” The teacher in charge of casting huffed.

“Pfft, it’ll be fine. As the director, I crack the whip. I say Tree... number 5 should do it.” The director leaned back in his chair as if this wasn’t a crisis at all.

“There’s a specific reason why I cast her as a tree.”

“But she’s Kiseop’s roommate and none of the other girls want to do it. She’ll be fine as the main girl.”

I felt the teacher in charge of casting’s glare so I pretended to look away.

“Hey, Tree number 5! Come here!” The director called to me. I reluctantly made my way over to their table.

“Congrats, you’re Sleeping Beauty. Make sure you practise~”

I was pretty sure I looked a little dumb, standing there with my mouth wide open with shock. I overheard them talking but I couldn’t believe they actually made me be Hye Ri’s replacement. I walked in a daze back over to where Kiseop was standing. He must have heard everything because he looked dumbfounded as well.

“So you’re sleeping beauty now, huh?” Kiseop said. I nodded. This was such a surprise.

 

 A week later, it was my first rehearsal as Sleeping Beauty. Me and Kiseop practised a lot together. I guess he didn’t want me to drag him down. I was still nervous though since I didn’t think I would be as good as Hye Ri was.

I took a deep breath and told myself, “Okay, I can do this.” I then energetically opened the door to the theatre and greeted everyone. They gave me a weird look so I quickly made my way to the stage, while my cheeks were burning. Kiseop was like always, there already.

“What took you so long? We’ve been waiting.”

“I’m sorry.” I bowed politely.

“Whatever we should start.”

 

We were in the theatre rehearsing for more than 5 hours. The director was making me practice like crazy, since I didn’t even know the basics of dancing. I could tell the other people were pretty pissed. Especially the dance teacher… I looked over at Kiseop, he looked away then I looked at Kevin, who was Sleeping Beauty’s father. He smiled encouragingly, from the audience. Since his part wasn’t all that big, the people with the minor roles were pretty much done with rehearsing. 

 

After another two hours of practicing, the director finally told us to leave: “All right students, that’s a wrap. Good job everyone, be back tomorrow.”

 

“Good job ____! You were awesome. You worked really hard.” Kevin smiled at me, I smiled back. Then Kiseop walked towards me.

“Let’s go back.” He said and grabbed my hand.

“Huh, uh wait.”

I said looking back at Kevin, “I’ll see you tomorrow!” using my other hand to wave at him.

 

Kevin’s P.O.V

Today _____ and I decided to audition. We both walked into the theatre, with me following close behind her. We walked in and _____ was fixed on the couple auditioning in front of us. I had to admit they were very talented. After they were done, I saw her stare pretty intensely at the male performer; I think his name was Kiseop, as the judge previously said. I gently tapped her on the shoulder.

“____, it’s our turn now.” I smiled. She nodded and we both stepped onto the stage. Keeping an eye on _____, I saw her eyes follow Kiseop. She then turned back to me with a nervous expression. I smiled at her, reassuring her that we were going to do fine. She knelt down onto the floor then gently lay herself down, pretending to sleep. I cleared my throat and started to act.

I leant over pretending to kiss her, wishing if only this was for real….and if only I could actually kiss her for real. I brushed the thought away.

She fluttered her eyelashes and woke, she was so beautiful.

Slowly rising she said, “Who art thou?” she looked around the stage, trying to look surprised.

“I am the Prince of Neverland.”

“Thine lips have broken the curse. O I cannot thank thee enough.”

We both faced the audience and sang and danced. After our duet, the audience applauded us with much force. I smiled at _____, but her gazed was fixed onto the guy who had auditioned before us.

When I hopped down the stage, I was immediately surrounded by girls. Ah... this was going to take a while for me to get rid of them. I searched above their heads for _____, but she was by the entrance already, I gave her a nervous apologetic smile. She smiled back and took her leave.

Right after she left I thought of a good idea, “Girls, I’ll teach you guys acting one day.” Reassuring them with a smile, “But now I really have to go to the men’s room. Please excuse me.” I gave them all a polite bow and rushed to the door.

I saw ______ standing not far from the theatre entrance. I was about to call out to her, but I realised that she was with Kiseop. He grabbed her hand and led her somewhere. I ruffled my hair, Kevin, Kevin, Kevin…you always fall for the girl you can never have.

I looked back to the first day that I arrived at NH Media School of Arts, and when I met her. I thought she was one of the normal girls, not original at all. But she proved me wrong. She was so cute, always full of energy and bubbly, optimistic, strong and most of all not fake.

I clutched my heart, if I fall deeper for you I’ll hurt myself.

End Kevin’s P.O.V

End Chapter 12: Accident