Chapter 6

Given Up

 

 


 

FOUR YEARS LATER,

"Hot chocolate for Jiyeon?" the barista called after he finished making her drink. Jiyeon smiled as she mumbed a small 'thank you' to him as she exited the cafe. She took a sip on her drink and sighed in bliss as the warm liquid flowed down , warming the insides of her body on this cold chilly day. 'This is exactly what I need.' She thought.

She stuck her hand out to hail a cab as she felt some vibration in her pocket. Getting in the cab, she told the driver her work address and decided to take a look at the incoming message that she got. 

Shannon: Where the hell are you? >:(

Jiyeon: I'm on my way there. What's up with you? It's my usual timing anyways.

Waiting for Shannon's reply, she took another sip of her hot chocolate and pulled her coat closer to herself.

Shannon: Nothing, just I'm extremely bored right now and you're not here yet so get your down here quick! God knows how many cups of coffees I've already drank.

Jiyeon chuckled as she could sense that her ex-sister in law is pouting while typing in her text. The driver stopped in front of the building and Jiyeon gave him an extra amount for a tip. Walking to the door, she was greeted by the regular doormen. As she got into the lift, Shannon already sent her another text.

Shannon: Don't you ignore me girlie! Anyways, you have a meeting in 10 minutes time so where are you?

Before she could reply her, the doors already opened and there stood Shannon, with shock plastered on her face. "Well, that was fast." she said as she gave Jiyeon a huge hug. "Well yeah, I am flash's sister." Jiyeon gave her a sarcastic smile. "Anyways, what's the meeting about?" she asked Shannon as both of them walk towards Jiyeon's office. 

Hearing that question, Shannon immediately tensed and that didn't go unnoticed by Jiyeon. Standing in front of her door, she started to question Shannon. "Shan, I know that face. Now spill, wha-" before she could finish her sentence, she got cut off by Kim Jaejoong, her ex-father in law

"Sorry to interupt you girls but can I speak to Jiyeon privately?" He raised his brows at Shannon and she understood him, thanking him silently for saving her from this situation. "I'll see you later then Yeon!" Shannon said she hugged her bestfriend tight before walking away. "Let's go in my office and talk Mr Kim," she said as she opened the doors to her office.

Can't take the sudden awkwardness, Jiyeon let out and awkward cough and asked him, "so what brings you here?" It's been a long time since they were in a room together to have a private talk. The last time was when Myungsoo send her the divorce papers. She was crying in his arms the whole day as he tries to soothe her in a fatherly manner since Jiyeon's parents were already gone when she was young. He told her that those were the exact feelings that he felt when his ex-wife, Ailee left him and their 3 children 20 years ago. She felt angry, sad but most of all confused and helpless. What did she do? What had she done wrong?

 

***

 

"So how are you? And stop calling me Mr Kim!" Jaejoong snapped at her playfully. Jiyeon chuckled as she gave him a huge hug. They were close, very close. It's as if he's her real dad and she's his real daughter. "I'm fine, wonderful in fact." she smiled. "I can't possibly call you dad again right?" Jiyeon continued, with a smile plastered on her face. "Well, just call me Jaejoong then. What's the big deal?" They both laughed.

"So Jaejoong, what are you doing here? I doubt that you came here just to ask me how I am right? And if you're gonna tell me about the meeting then you could have called me or texted me. Now spill, both you and Shannon know something and are delaying the time to tell me so talk." Jiyeon said as she crossed her arms playfully but her voice still have the seriousness in it. 

"Well, i-it's...... M-Myungsoo is back. He's gonna come back and work here again." he started. Jiyeon's eyes widened as she clenched her fist. "Well 4 years seemed to pass by quickly." She said quietly. "Feels like it was just yesterday that I received the papers." Jaejoong smiled as he continued, "well, he'll be in the meeting too. We should get going, the meeting will start in 3 mins time and I'm sure we don't want them to wait for us right?" He stood up as he waited for Jiyeon near the door as they walk to the meeting room which is near Jiyeon's room.

"Umm, you should go in first. I kind of forgot that I left my phone on the table. I'll be real quick." Jiyeon said as she ran back to her office.

 

***

 

Like any other girls, she wanted to look presentable. Looking at the mirror in her office, she ran her fingers through her hair and painting her lips with some pinkish red lipstick. Spraying some perfume on herself, she smiled as she looked at herself in the mirror. Looking at her watch, she gasp. 'One minute left!' She went out of her office and speed walk her way to the meeting room. On the way there, she felt her phone vibrated and saw the text from Shannon, making a mental note to kill her later.

Shannon: Sorry! I wanted to tell you but I just didn't know how to. I'll make it up to you so please don't kill me! Love you!

She ignored the text and took a deep breath before entering the room. Her eyes scanned around the room for him, but he wasn't there. Not yet, that is. Relieved, she shook hands with the other members of the committee and sat down at the end. Tapping both her hands and feet, a nervous habit that she have since forever, she waited patiently for it to start.

"Mr Kim Myungsoo will be late as his flight got delayed but he's reaching soon." Jaejoong said as he looked at his phone. "Let's give Ms Park a brief summary on what this meeting will be about."

A man in his forties stepped forward as he took a sip on the bottle of water and cleared his throat. Clicking on the remote button he's holding, a slide with lots of numbers came out. "According to this, we have concluded that Kim Co. will forsee immense investments and exchange if there was a chapter of the enterprise in Derby, England. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any. "

However, she wasn't even listening to what the presenter was saying. She was thinking what would happen if he walk through the doors? Will she just throw herself at him and demand an explanation or just tell him how much she missed him? Or will she take the chair she's sitting on right now and throw it at him? Will she strangle him? So much possibilities that she didn't even realised that he had already came in the office.

"I'm sorry for being late, I was supposed to reach here an hour earlier but the flight was delayed so I hope you understand." He said as he offered to shake hands with all the men that was present in the meeting room. "Oh, it's alright. We have just explained to Ms Park here the whole proposal." An excutive say.

"That's great." Myungsoo replied, still not making any eye contact with Jiyeon. "I've discussed this matter with them earlier and we've decided to join with the Jong Co. This project is an important one that's why I assigned the both of you on this one since both of you are the most trustworthy ones." Jaejoong started. Jiyeon finally raised her head and looked at Jaejoong. 'What?' Her eyes moved to Myungsoo and surprisingly, he was looking at her too. 

She felt her heart skipped a beat. After four years, he was still able to take her breath away. However something in his eyes changed. He used to look at her with such warmth and love, but now it was just cold and nothing. "Thank you." Myungsoo said, looking at Jaejoong, his dad. 

"The both of you will be staying at XXX, it used to be a hotel but now it's a private residence. The view there is awesome, trust me." Jaejoong continued with a smile on his face. Jiyeon on the other hand was confused. "So you're saying I'm supposed to live there? In Derby?" She asked. Jaejoong raised his brow at her, "well, yes. It's only for a couples of months." 

Jiyeon frowned. She really didn't want to go there, somewhere far from her home and not to mention, with her ex-husband! Who knows? From a couple of months it might changed to years!  She didn't want to be with him, not anymore. "We'll send you the documents soon, but study this for now. The both of you are excused for now, we will discuss more tomorrow. But before that, do you have any questions?"

The both of them shook their heads almost at the same time as they both stepped forward to take the stacks of papers. A huge wave of heat rushed through her as their fingers brushed each other. Blowing air in her closed mouths, she tries to hide her blush. She went out of the office first and waited as she heard the door closed. 

Plucking her courage and turning around, she asked him "C-can I speak to you? Alone?" He was shocked for a second but he nodded anyways. "Yours or mine?" he asked impassively. Her heart hurt a little seeing how cold he was towards her. After a long deadly silence, she said, "Mine."

 

***

 

When they reached her office, she went to sit on her chair as she stared at him. He was looking around her office, it was different from what he remembered. A lot of things changed. He changed. She changed. The office changed. But their hearts? Nobody knows. 

"Umm, Myungsoo, wh-" she began but got cut off by him, who was crossing his arms as he looked at her.

"Mr Kim." He corrected her. Her jaws went wide and she couldn't believe what he just said. 'The is wrong with him.'  Annoyed, she rolled her eyes as she take a deep breath. 

"Mr Kim." She continued as she regained her composure.

 

 

"You're a ing coward."

 


 

Don't get confused, Jaejoong is not a ert old man. He just really liked Jiyeon (in a friendly way) and they are really close back when myungsoo was still dating jiyeon to when he married her. plus i decided not to use all this formalities that koreans usually have so yeah, a new change i guess? ><

and i'm not a business major so it's kinda crappy (sorry :-()

anyways! let me know in the comments below about this chapter! see, it isn't that hard to actually leave a comment below right? ;) 

and i enjoy reading the comments ^^ see ya soon xo

 

 


 

 

oh and don't forget to vote for the male lead in my new story! the female lead will be Jiyeon ;-)