Mommy Taeng (?)

Put Your Love In Lights

As the leader of SNSD, Taeyeon really pays extra attention to her member's needs and cares for them more.

 

Sometimes she's like a mom; reminding them of their various schedules and offering comfort when necessary. It's no secret that the members depend on her a great deal; God knows how many things they would've missed or forgotten without her.

 

Jessica loves Taeyeon, she really does, (maybe a little more than she should) but she wishes Taeyeon would pay a little more attention to her sometimes. As the second oldest, Jessica is expected to be the "second-most responsible" when in reality she's worse than almost of the other girls. The "second-most responsible" of the nine is most definitely Seohyun, their reliable maknae who has an image of being the most diligent. However even their precious maknae forgets important things sometimes, and it's only thanks to Taeyeon that she's saved.

 

Jessica's huge crush on Taeyeon also didn't help her longing for the girl's attention.

 

"Unnie~ I'm hungry." Yoona whined from next to the ice princess. Jessica rolls her eyes at her beloved dongsaeng.

 

"Go find something to eat." Jessica replies blandly, turning back to the American show on the TV. Yoona whined again, showing her (awful) aegyo that Jessica liked to hit her for. Jessica steeled herself, trying not to show her annoyance that would only spur the younger on.

 

"Unnie~ what are you doing?" Yoona whined at her again, knowing that Jessica would be more than irritated at this point.

 

Jessica inhaled sharply in annoyance and turned to the second-youngest. "Im Yoona, if you don't shut up right now I swear I'll shove that pillow down your throat!" She threatened with a glare.

 

Yoona fell silent, staring at Jessica with wide eyes. Then her face crumpled up, and like an excessively large infant, she began to cry. Taeyeon chose that moment to walk in the room, only to see her beloved dongsaeng howling like a rabid baby. "Um, what are you doing?" She asked skeptically, arching an eyebrow at the two.

 

Yoona shot Taeyeon her most pathetic sniff and pitiful gaze. "Unnie, Sica unnie threatened me." She blubbered, wiping a fake tear.

 

Jessica looked at the younger girl incredulously as Taeyeon wasted no time in rushing over. "Omo, my poor baby. Don't worry, unnie won't let the big meanie hit you." She cooed, instantly changing from relaxed, laid back cool Taeyeon to fussing mother hen Taeyeon. Yoona sniffed and smirked at Jessica through her fake sobs as Taeyeon hugged her and her hair.

 

Jessica glared at Yoona. How she wished she could be the one in Taeyeon's loving embrace, feeling those soft hands run through her hair but no, instead her evil dongsaeng got Taeyeon all to herself. It seemed to Jessica that Taeyeon paid attention all the members but her. Each and every one, all but Jessica herself.

 

Jessica couldn't take it anymore and she stormed off, frustratedly throwing down her pillow and storming to her room. Yoona smirked as the ice princess left, and continued her act. Taeyeon's hugs definitely weren't the worst things to receive anyway.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Tae, can you help me put this on?" Jessica asked frustratedly as she tried to zip the long zipper on her back. The group was at a wardrobe fitting, and Jessica found herself having trouble with this particular outfit.

 

"Sure, just a sec." Taeyeon smiled at Jessica as she tied her heel boots. Jessica turned away to hide her blush and smile.

 

Suddenly there was a crash and a surprised "Omo!" And "Unnie! Are you okay?"

 

A horrid wail filled the air a few moments later. Yuri poked her head in the room Jessica and Taeyeon were in. "Um Taeng, can you come here for a sec?"

 

Jessica peered over the divider curiously, only to find Sunny sitting on the ground clutching her elbow. Sooyoung and Seohyun were standing by her side with wide eyes. "Sunny, are you alright?" Jessica ventured cautiously. Sunny looked at her for a moment before letting out another wail.

 

"It hurts!" She bawled, and Taeyeon quickly rushed out with an ice pack. Squatting next to the girl, she pressed the ice to Sunny's elbow.

 

"Did you fall again?" She asked gently. Sunny nodded, looking much like a five year old as she sniffed and took a shuddering breath to calm herself.

 

Jessica turned away in annoyance, still trying to tug up the zipper on her back. She couldn't help but feel annoyed at the failure of her advanced.

 

"I just want you to notice me…"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Jessica was determined to get Taeyeon to notice her. She'd been keeping an eye out for opportunities throughout the day, which wasn't easy since all the members were home at the dorm. And when all nine of them were together in a confined space, getting only one's attention was near impossible.

 

"Sooyoung, save some food for us!" Tiffany whined as she pulled the tallest girl from the refrigerator.

 

Sooyoung pouted. "Aw Fany, I'm hungry!" She whined back as she was reluctantly dragged from her spot in the kitchen.

 

"Taetae! Tell her to stop eating!" Tiffany yelled at the leader from across the room.

 

Taeyeon looked up from her conversation with Hyoyeon. "Sooyoung, stop eating." She called blandly. Jessica rolled her eyes.

 

"Taeng! This isn't fair!" Sooyoung complained. "What am I supposed to do all day then?"

 

"Something productive." Was the laconic response. Sooyoung grumbled but went to the couch area where Sunny and Yoona were watching TV.

 

Jessica could only marvel in wonder. It was no easy feat to get Sooyoung away from; something she'd only see Taeyeon ever do.

 

"Tae, are you busy?" Jessica asked, looking up from the book in her hands.

 

Taeyeon looked up at her. "No, what's up?" She asked with a smile.

 

"I just wanted to ask you if-"

 

"TAEEEE!!"

 

Both girls jumped at the suddenly squeal and looked up. Yuri was running towards them laughing, with Sunny and Seohyun hot on her tail screaming bloody murder. Seohyun looked frightened, and Sunny was covered in what seemed to be sweet potato. "Taeyeon tell this khab to stop putting fake bugs in the maknae's sweet potatoes!" Sunny yelled furiously.

 

Yuri stopped next to them still laughing. "Sorry, but your reaction was priceless!" She wiped a tear from her eye as she grinned at the maknae who frowned.

 

"Unnie, you're mean!" She wailed helplessly. Taeyeon sighed and enveloped Seohyun in a hug.

 

"Don't worry, unnie was only playing. Right?" She glared at Yuri who straightened and nodded furiously.

 

"Yeah Seo, it was a joke!" She added hastily. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in my room laughing myself to sleep." Yuri cackled and ran away quickly before anyone could say anything else.

 

Jessica sighed. Sunny glowered in the direction Yuri had disappeared. "I hate her." She grumbled, picking a sweet potato skin out of her hair as she headed to the bathroom.

 

Seohyun sniffed, reminding Jessica of her failed mission. Jessica dismissed them with a passive glance. "Ugh." She mumbled, making her way back to her room hoping to get some more sleep. She failed to notice Taeyeon glancing at her back as she walked away.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"AAAHHHH!"

 

A high-pitched dolphin shriek resonated from the kitchen, shortly followed by a crash and a dull thud.

 

"Unnie? Are you alright?" Seohyun poked her head in the kitchen to find her unnie lying on the ground staring blankly up at the ceiling, with a shattered glass and a toppled chair next to her. "Omo! Taeyeon unnie!" The maknae immediately called for the oldest to come rescue the second oldest.

 

"Hm? What's wrong Seo?" Taeyeon asked as she walked in the kitchen. She noticed Jessica on the ground and did a double take. "Sica? Are you okay?" She asked. She was just about to make her way to the fallen girl but a pink flash with a booming voice interceded.

 

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING JUNG JESSICA?!" Tiffany hollered in English, shoving Taeyeon aside as she quickly made her way to her fallen American friend. "Are you alright?" She asked frantically, shaking said girl lightly as she pushed the chair aside.

 

"… I'm fine." Jessica said numbly, feeling a bruise swell up on her head. She winced lightly. Tiffany quickly squatted down next to her friend and out a hand in her forehead.

 

Jessica exhaled, still staring up at the ceiling. “Well, I’ll just-”

 

"YAH, JUNG JESSICA HAS FALLEN ON THE FLOOR! REPEAT, JUNG JESSICA HAS FALLEN ON THE FLOOR!" Tiffany raised her head hollering, and soon enough the rest of the girls came running in.

 

"What happened? Oh." Hyoyeon noticed the ice princess lying on the ground.

 

"Oh no! Quick, emergency plan 16!" Yuri said and the girls (minus Taeyeon, who was rather shocked) swarmed the ice princess. Seohyun and Hyoyeon cleaned the glass in seconds, Sunny put the chair in its original position, and Yuri and Sooyoung quickly picked up Jessica by her arms and legs and placed her on Yoona's back. Yoona proceeded to run out the kitchen screaming bloody murder with the rest of the girls making ambulance noises next to her and Tiffany yelling directions while dragging maknae Seohyun by the wrist.

 

They came and left within seconds.

 

Taeyeon was left alone in the kitchen.

 

"What…?"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Hey Sica."

 

Jessica whipped around with a start. "Oh, hey Taengoo." She replied, picking up some shirts from the ground. Tiffany had walked in Yuri's room the other day and tripped over a bra, slipped on some jeans, and hit her head on a belt. She freaked out, claiming near death and decreed a universal cleaning day in the Soshi dorm, which was why Jessica was currently trying to find her floor under the mass of stuff in the room.

 

"Are you almost done? Sunny and I just finished up. The rest of the girls wrapped up and went out a few minutes ago."

 

Jessica groaned. She at cleaning; that was a fact. Sooyoung had volunteered to clean the kitchen, so Jessica was stuck cleaning her room by herself. "Almost. Just need to get all this off the floor." She replied, piling more shirts in the bed.

 

Taeyeon chuckled. "I'll help." She replied shortly, bending over to grab some stray shorts.

 

Jessica turned to face her. "It's alright, you don't have to. You should go out with the others, you've finished your cleaning."

 

"But I want to stay here with you." Taeyeon replied, smiling at Jessica whose cheeks were flushing pink.

 

"Okay. Suit yourself." Jessica shrugged and examined her pile of junk sitting on her desk. "What do you think I should do with all this?"

 

"Dunno. Throw it out?" Taeyeon asked, bouncing lightly on the bed looking very much like a kid.

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow at the kid-like leader but said nothing at her weird antics. Taeyeon continued to bounce with the Cheshire cat grin on her face. Jessica glanced over periodically, only to find the kiddy leader staring at her with round, curious dark eyes and a bright grin. The attention somehow made Jessica feel uncomfortable, and she tried to ignore the girl until it became a little more than just discerning, and she turned around for confrontation.

 

“Taeyeon, are you okay?” Jessica asked, warily eyeing the Soshi leader.

 

Taeyeon grinned. “Yup! What, is there something wrong?”

 

Jessica raised her eyebrow skeptically but said nothing and resumed cleaning

 

Taeyeon frowned a little as the Jung’s back faced her once again. She couldn’t help that she was just excited to be spending time with the girl she never saw. The Kim pouted, and flopped down on her belly thinking of what could possibly be strange about her presence.

 

Jessica noticed the pouting face and she internally squealed. However it was also a little worrying, so she turned back to the girl. “Are you sure you're okay?”

 

Taeyeon looked up, dark puppy eyes on full display. “Yeah. I’m fine.” She replied, much less enthusiastic than before.

 

Jessica sighed, and made her way over to the girl. Tossing some clothes aside, she squatted by the bed so she was face to face with the pouting girl. “No you’re not. Look, if you’re bored feel free to go out with the others and hang out. I’ll be fine here.” She said with a reassuring smile. “Really.”

 

Taeyeon’s brow furrowed and she kicked her feet childishly. “But I wanted to spend time with you.” She mumbled into her arms.

 

Jessica looked confused. “Excuse me?”

 

Taeyeon looked up with her pout and rounded eyes. “You never spend time with me. Everyone else always does, but you never do. Did I do something wrong?” She asked, unconciously putting aegyo in her melodious voice.

 

Jessica stared incredulously at the girl and quickly shook her head. “No! No, no, God no Tae. I just thought you were busy and I didn’t want to bother you.” She said frantically, trying to stop the teary eyes from showing on the other girl. “Taengoo, I’m sorry if you thought I was ignoring you. I’m not though, I swear.”

 

Taeyeon sniffed once and nodded. Jessica leaned back like a mother after comforting her child over something silly and unexpected. Who knew things would turn out this way for poor Jessica Jung?

 

Taeyeon looked up. “So you’ll spend more time with me then right?” She asked cutely, tilting her head. Jessica smiled fondly, patting the girl’s head.


“Promise.”